[ubuntu-np] Pin drop silence

Jitendra Harlalka implements.java at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 08:00:34 GMT 2010

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 5:20 PM, Ishwor Gurung <ishwor.gurung at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 12 November 2010 22:09, Jwalanta Shrestha <jwalanta at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 4:38 PM, Bibek Paudel <eternalyouth at gmail.com
> >wrote:

> >> long..
>
> Yes it is. Planet was one good place but still the whole thing being
> hosted on one server didn't quite help. Prasanna and myself took upon
> us the hosting cost and it served well initially.
>
> Planet had really good collection of  quite helpful blog posts. I hope they
are not lost.

 >> > Anyway, I agree that only existence of website doesn't serve purpose
> if
>
> Exactly. We went too fragmented I think.
>
> >> +1
> >>
> >> If we want to do something similar again, my suggestion: we should
> >> start by thinking (discussing) about the reasons (problems) why this
> >> happened.

As far as reasons I concerned, I can think of the following:

Well, definitely the community got fragmented and people aren't feeling as
associated as they used to say 1-2 years ago. I see similar situation in
FOSS-Nepal mailing list.

At the same time, I would put blame on facebook and twitter. Even when these
mailing lists were active, majority of threads were for support and now
people simply ask their queries on social media. When the thread-volume got
low, other useful threads (besides support) also died slow death.