[ubuntu-np] Error scanning the CD E:Read error - read (21: Is a directory)

Ishwor Gurung ishwor.gurung at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 13:48:54 GMT 2009

2009/12/14 Ozone Sandip <ozonesandip at gmail.com>:
> I tried To install my internal modem driver in ubuntu 9.10, at software
> sources i tried adding CD-ROM and then use Synaptic Package Manager.
>
> 1 package is detected there, It must be driver for modem but on mean time it
> asks "Please enter a name for the disc" i gave exact cd name "VER M17" but
> it refuses for this and all other name and gives Error Message as

I don't understand what you mean ^^^^^.

> "Error scanning the CD E:Read error - read (21: Is a directory)"

"21: Is a directory" means somewhere down in your software, it issues
a read( ) system call on a dir instead of file and thats what is being
reported. I don't know what "E:" bit is doing here. Is this a .exe
running on Linux? If so, you'd need to configure your wine first.
Even, then you aren't guaranteed that the .exe will run on Linux.

> What does this mean?

> Will some1 attach or give me exact link so as to download ".deb" package for
> enabling playing MP3's in Ubuntu 9.10?

Terms to Google - Medibuntu, Ubuntu+mp3,
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Do some light reading. it will help you understand your Ubuntu system
better. Goodluck!
--
Regards,
Ishwor Gurung