Some Intrepid Workarounds

Suvash Thapaliya suvash at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 09:48:16 GMT 2008

Hi folks,

I wish the best for the upcoming Intrepid Release party. Be there (and have
fun ) !
It seems like not much people are going through problems regarding Intrepid
( which is a good thing )

However, i definitely had hard times right from the start, so i'm going to
share some of the troubleshooting i had to do.

### These problems might not necessarily pop-up on your system, but it did
on mine. I hope this short mail will help out if anyone goes through the
same pain, arrrgh..... ####

*1) Screen resolutions not being saved on reboot/logout ( for NVIDIA display
cards )*

Most of you would do the following ( i did the same :) )
    a) gksudo nvidia-settings
    b) NVIDIA Xserver settings from the Gnome "Administration" menu.

While this successfully sets the screen resolution the "NVIDIA Xserver
settings" simply crashes on trying to "Save to X Configuration File".

If you encounter the same problem, try the following ( it worked on mine )

####    $ *sudo nvidia-settings *( from a terminal of course ).

In this case the "Save to X Configuration File" perfectly works prompting
for the regular "xorg.conf" file ( which is what you want )

Though it seems the same, don't ask me why it works ! I simply don't know (
and for 6 months i'dn't want to know either :) )

*Optionally, if you want to disable the nvidia logo that flashes at startup
*

a) Open /etc/X11/xorg.conf with root permisson
    $ sudo cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak (make sure you have
a backup)
    $ sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

b) Add a line' Option "NoLogo" 'within ' Section "Device"

                            Section "Device"
                                                Identifier     "Device0"
                                                VendorName     "NVIDIA
Corporation"
                                                BoardName      "GeForce FX
5200"
                                                Driver        "nvidia"
*###Add only this line------>*       Option        "NoLogo"
                            EndSection

    Save the file(obviously).

*2) Static IP addresses not being saved ( Network manager )*

This was a real pain. I was already beinning to hate ubuntu. hehe
On reboot my previous settings weren't saved, and it defaulted to "auto
eth0", which is the stubborn default DHCP based setting.

Some people have gone to the extent of removing the gnome network manager,
and then configuring the interfaces manually.
Check them there http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=974382

However, there is an easier workaround.
*    a) Don't touch the default "auto eth0" at all. Just copy your MAC
address.*
*    b) Make another connection with all your "Manual" settings.*

   * ####IMPORTANT####* Don't check the "System Settings" box on the new
connection. Let "auto eth0" be the one "System Settings".

What happens on reboot is that ubuntu will first try to make a connection on
"auto eth0" and when it fails(provided that you aren't connected to a DHCP
server), it moves over and makes connection on your new connection.

*    c) If this still doesn't work directly edit the "auto etho0" and ad you
settings but, UNCHECK the "System setting" box.*

And yes, things will have to different if you are connected to a DHCP server
but still require Static IPs.

Hope that'll help someone(at least 1)*........and yes, there might be a lot
of typos here, just ignore them, i'm not that bad at english ;-)*

Cheers
suVasH.....