apt mirror

Bikal KC bikal at ubuntu.org.np
Sat Apr 12 08:55:01 BST 2008

Ankur Sharma wrote:
> I wonder what would be faster , getting a external hdd in US and shipping it
> back to NP with full repo for first time or download whole 30-40gb here :).
> Anyway we can ask Pawan sir to provide us with space at once.

Yeah but what's the point though? The package
updates won't be available anyway if you get a HDD
full of the packages.

> On Sat, Apr 12, 2008 at 5:48 AM, Jwalanta Shrestha <jwalanta at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> i seriously doubt this. having a apt mirror is a matter of syncing around
>> 30-40gb of data, which changes often too. isps here sell 64kbps in the name
>> of "broadband". u think they'll provide bandwidth to sync that huge volume
>> for nothing??

The ISPs implementing a mirror define the interval
that they want to check the main apt server for
updates (say everyday or sth). The first update is
the major one AFAICT. The rest are just the
periodic updates of those packages.

>> what we can do is have apt-cache or apt-proxy sort of things. instead of
>> syncing, it'd fetch the packages on demand and store it locally. after that,
>> within npix bandwidth wont be a problem.

Yeah they are all nice idea but LET's ask ISPs
first and if they don't see any point, then we can
ask them for to do apt-cache/apt-proxy. Ki Kaso?

--
  cheers :-)