[ubuntu-no] [ubuntu-marketing] Marketing material needs a home

Rubén Hubuntu hubuntu at gmail.com
Tir 10. Jun 2008 16:37:57 BST

Hi Tord

Fantastisk arbeid!

On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 8:29 AM, Tord Jansson <tord.jansson at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I'm new to this list since about 12 hours so let me just give a quick
> introduction and then cut straight to the chase.
>
> My name is Tord Jansson, I'm 33 years old and live in a mid-sized
> Swedish town called Norrköping. CTO for a small software company by day,
> dedicated Ubuntu advocate by night (or mostly evenings, mornings and
> weekends to be precise).
>
> Two months ago I started a personal crusade to market Ubuntu in my local
> town and build up a strong local user base. I acknowledge this will take
> time and persistence and I hope to see some tangible results 2-3 years
> down the line with a local and very active Ubuntu-club.
>
> My first step was to create some adverts and posters to put on public
> noticeboards around town. So far I have made 5 different adverts/posters
> and of the first one I have now put up more than 200 copies in mostly
> building entrances. I expect to at least double that before the end of
> the summer. The rest of the posters are being saved for future activities.
>
> The posters are currently in Swedish only, but I have put them all in a
> zip-archive reachable from this URL if you want to take a look:
>
> http://www.savefile.com/files/1600643
>
> They have all been made in Scribus and the "source code" for all except
> number five is reachable from this page:
>
> http://www.savefile.com/projects/808633832
>
> Sorry about the advertisement and crap you will have to step through...
>

> Anyway, my reasons for posting this to your mailing-list are the following:
>
> 1. I believe these adverts can be useful to many more than myself once
> they have been translated to English. Decent marketing material for
> Ubuntu seems with a few exceptions to be hard to find.

There is a lot of decent marketing material for Ubuntu around but it is hard
to find and there is no single place where to find it. This Team is working
on fixing that!

> 2. I will need help to translate these to English. I can make a fully
> understandable translation myself but the text will need to be polished
> afterwards so it reaches the right professional marketing level. Any
> volunteers?

I do not have the time to do this (and it seems some people is working on
that already), but I'm sending it to the Norwegian LoCo list so we can
translate it and use it in Norway.

Det er trøss alt lettere å oversette fra svensk til norsk ;-) Vi får se hva
som skjer...

> 3. I need a good place to store these adverts and any future material I
> make. Preferably it should be a shared place where marketing material
> from various sources is gathered, scrutinized by a community,
> categorized and provided for easy download. I believe that is one of the
> goals with the Ubuntu-marketing team, so what are the plans and has work
> been started on a site like that? Is there any interim solution that is
> recommended?

This is where you hit the spot. We are working in a project called
SpreadUbuntu: See this for more information:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam/Projects/SpreadUbuntu

For the moment we can use the wiki to compile available material.

> 4. I want feedback on my work (although this might be hard to give until
> I have translated the texts). Tell me whether you agree or disagree on
> the way I market Ubuntu. Is it too confrontational? too careful? too
> much text? too little information? focusing on the wrong things? I want
> my adverts to reflect the spirit of the Ubuntu community while at the
> same time being catchy and fun. Most of all they should just do the job
> of informing people of Ubuntu in a honest and interesting way. All
> feedback is welcome.

Som sagt, veldig bra og kreativt!

> 5. I'll be happy to discuss grass-root marketing tactics and pool
> resources with anyone doing the same in their local community. I
> understand a lot of that will happen here, right?

It does already. What we lack is a propper guide to make it easy for others
to get started. If your feel like sharing your experiences, please do. We
could also work on that in our wiki; (if you should need help with that,
just send an e-mail and I will give you a hand getting started with the
wiki).

> Anyway, keep up the good work everyone. Ubuntu is a great distribution
> and I'm personally convinced that it just needs some more public
> exposure and mindshare to really take off.

+1

> Regards,
> Tord Jansson
> Norrköping, Sweden