vmware zelf te fixen?

Paul van der Vlis paul op vandervlis.nl
Wo Aug 2 14:05:01 UTC 2006

Jan Claeys schreef:
> Op vr, 28-07-2006 te 14:33 +0200, schreef Paul van der Vlis:
>
>>Het feit dat Ubuntu zorgt voor kernel-modules bij security-updates is
>>overigens een reden voor mijn enthousiasme voor Ubuntu. Maar blijkbaar
>>niet terecht. Na een security-update komen mijn klanten nu in de
>>problemen.
>

> Je kan misschien eens Ubuntu en VmWare contacteren hierover?

Ik heb geschreven naar vmware-builds op vmware.com en kreeg het
onderstaande antwoord.

---------------
Kelly Byrd schreef:

> [...]

:OK, that would be very good.
:
:Who will make the new modules?  The Ubuntu-security-team?

I've been told the kernel module package will get built as
part of the linux-restricted-modules build process.

>> Yes.

:
:I don't see it in the list of supported host-OSes at:
:http://www.vmware.com/support/ws55/doc/intro_hostreq_ws.html

My mistake. I read "officially support Ubuntu" (not Dapper)
as a host OS. We fix our supported host and guest list when
we release. WS 5.5 shipped way before Dapper was out.
------------------

En in een eerder mailtje schreef hij nog:
>Does VMware offically support Ubuntu Dapper as a host-OS?

Yes. But "official support" for Ubuntu as a host is not the
same thing as providing a .deb package. We have has "official
support" for Ubunutu as a host in previous releases and not
provided a deb package, only a tar and an RPM.

Groet,
Paul.