Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter Issue 222

Nathan Handler nhandler at ubuntu.com
Tue Jun 28 02:23:33 UTC 2011

Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue 222 for the week June
19 - 25, 2011.

== Links to UWN ==

 * Wiki page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue222

== In This Issue ==

 * Call for Testing Maverick Language Pack Updates
 * Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric) Development Update
 * Ubuntu Oneiric Open for Translation
 * Ubuntu Cloud Portal: Graphics Ninjas invited to help
 * Ubuntu Stats
 * LoCo News
 * LoCo Council Meeting Digest
 * Launchpad News
 * Ubuntu Certification: What components do we test?
 * Accessible Qt now in Oneiric!
 * Has Unity Knocked Ubuntu Off Its Pedestal?
 * Full Circle Magazine - Issue #50
 * Weekly Ubuntu Development Team Meetings
 * Upcoming Meetings and Events
 * Updates and Security for 8.04, 10.04, 10.10 and 11.04
 * And much more!

== General Community News ==

=== Call for Testing Maverick Language Pack Updates ===

The next set of Maverick translations updates before release are now
ready to test. Please help test them, even if you are not a translator
you can help them just by using them and giving feedback.

More information can be found at:
http://ubuntu-news.org/2011/06/24/call-for-testing-maverick-language-pack-updates/

=== Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric) Development Update ===

Oneiric development is in full swing and with Feature Freeze still 7
weeks away, most of the intrusive changes are landing in the
development release as we speak. Alpha 2 will be released in two weeks
which should be a great time to check out what's currently happening.
This week Daniel Holbach talks about his own experience and his first
steps into the Ubuntu world.

More information can be found at:
http://ubuntu-news.org/2011/06/23/ubuntu-11-10-oneiric-development-update/

=== Ubuntu Oneiric Open for Translation ===

The current development release of Ubuntu Oneiric is now open for
translation. If you are a translator you are invited to work on it
until the next User Interface Freeze on the week of the 25th of
August.

More information can be found at:
http://davidplanella.wordpress.com/2011/06/20/ubuntu-oneiric-open-for-translation/

=== Ubuntu Cloud Portal: Graphics Ninjas invited to help ===

The Ubuntu cloud team is looking for some adrenaline rushed graphics
ninjas to improve their graphics to reflect recent content and events.

More information can be found at:
http://cloud.ubuntu.com/2011/06/graphics-ninjas-invited-to-help/

    * Open (90506) -17 over last week
    * Critical (150) +1 over last week
    * Unconfirmed (49430) -648 over last week

As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started,
please see  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

=== Ubuntu Brainstorm Top 5 this week ===

 * Make it easier for new users to find the correct software -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/28148/
 * Right-clicking on a unity's launcher icon should list opened window
titles. - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/28159/
 * Add save and load option for backups to the gnome-config-tool
(gcontool) - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/28151/
 * Tomboy is great and could even be better -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/28155/
 * Ubuntu One Notes is nice...but could be better -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/28154/

Ubuntu Brainstorm is a community site geared toward letting you add
your ideas for Ubuntu. You can submit your own idea, or vote for or
against another idea. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

=== Ask Ubuntu Top 5 Questions this week ===

 * What does a beginner need to know before switching to Ubuntu? -
http://askubuntu.com/questions/49827/what-does-a-beginner-need-to-know-before-switching-to-ubuntu
 * What is the ?proposed? repository? -
http://askubuntu.com/questions/49691/what-is-the-proposed-repository
 * Application for taking pretty screenshots (like OS X does) -
http://askubuntu.com/questions/50604/application-for-taking-pretty-screenshots-like-os-x-does
 * What is the default swap size? -
http://askubuntu.com/questions/50308/what-is-the-default-swap-size
 * What is the difference between remove and completely remove in
synaptic package manager? -
http://askubuntu.com/questions/49890/what-is-the-difference-between-remove-and-completely-remove-in-synaptic-package-m

Ask (and answer!) your own questions at http://askubuntu.com

== LoCo News ==

=== Planet Ubuntu Ireland ? Lets get chatting ===

We are redoing the ubuntu-ie website here for the Irish team. We have
our own planet and there are many members; it would be great to add
more of your blogs on here. You don't have to post about Ubuntu; post
about you, what you do, and what projects you're working on. We?re a
community and we should get to know our community. You don't have to
be currently based in Ireland; lots of us expats want to get in touch
and keep up to date with one another.

More information can be found at:
http://www.lczajkowski.com/2011/06/23/planet-ubuntu-ireland-lets-get-chatting/

=== Vancouver's Natty U-Party! ===

Last Friday evening, Vancouver threw a party in celebration of Ubuntu
and Unity. We call our parties "U-Party" to appeal to everyone, not
just Ubuntu users.  Over the course of the next few days I will be
sharing some of the highlights (at least the ones that I'm allowed to
share). I will also share some of the ideas that helped make this
party special.

More information can be found at: http://randall.executiv.es/uparty-n-1

=== Ubuntu-ie and Canonical Meet up in Dublin ===

Next week some of the folks that work in Canonical from Launchpad and
the Platform team  will be in Dublin on a sprint. The Irish LoCo is
having a pub meet up to say hello to some of them.  Everyone is
welcome to drop in and say hi. It?d be nice to put the names to the
faces and well meet the folks who do such a great job on Ubuntu!

More information can be found at:
http://www.lczajkowski.com/2011/06/22/ubuntu-ie-and-canonical-meet-up-in-dublin/

=== The World Needs To Hear You ===

Ubuntu Community Week is your chance to learn about how Ubuntu
communities and LoCo teams work. It's also your chance to showcase the
great work your Ubuntu group is doing to help people find Ubuntu, to
grow your community, and to make events even more awesome!  We have a
few slots lefts for presenters, but not many! So, if you have a good
Ubuntu story to tell please head on over to the UCW wiki page and
nominate yourself to spread your wisdom.

More information can be found at: http://randall.executiv.es/ucw3

=== LoCo Council Meeting Digest ===

The following teams were processed at the last LoCo Council meeting:
Ubuntu Ireland (Approved), Ubuntu Japan (Approved), Ubuntu Denmark
(Approved), and Ubuntu Venezuela (Approved).

More information can be found at:
http://ubuntulococouncil.wordpress.com/2011/06/22/loco-council-meeting-digest/

=== Hello, World! ===

This is the first of our official Ubuntu LoCo Council blog posts.
We?ll be doing all sorts of fun community-based posts, updates, and
news.  We may all be reached on the LoCo Mailing List, ?loco-council?
<loco-council at lists.ubuntu.com>. Keep in mind that we do moderate it,
so please don?t worry about the bounce message!  We can also be found
on IRC, in Freenode/#ubuntu-locoteams. If you would like to ping us,
please just ask the bot! All you have to do is say ?!lococouncil?, and
we get the ping.

More information can be found at:
http://ubuntulococouncil.wordpress.com/2011/06/21/ello-world/

== Launchpad News ==

=== Consistent display of tangential links ===

On Launchpad there are a lot of links that take your focus away from
the current task. Usually, these exist to let you get more information
on Launchpad or take you off Launchpad to do something like look at
upstream information.  These links are usually represented one of two
ways?a blue link with a globe for something that takes you to a new
website, or a blue or green link for an internal link that opens a new
window.  Everyone?s been bitten by clicking a link while in the
process of filling out a form and losing the data they?ve spend five
minutes filling out.  There is a survey put together showing some
rough ideas of how to indicate a link that opens in a new window. It?s
a very short survey, and the Launchpad team would love to get your
input.

More information can be found at:
http://blog.launchpad.net/general/consistent-display-of-tangential-links

=== Launchpad meet-up Dublin ===

There is going to be a Launchpad meet-up in Dublin next Wednesday
(29th June) from 8pm at the Porterhouse on Nassau Street.  Come and
meet some of the Canonical Launchpad team, a few other Canonical types
and members of the Ubuntu Irish LoCo.

More information can be found at:
http://blog.launchpad.net/general/launchpad-meet-up-dublin

=== Knowing who the user is in Launchpad ===

The Launchpad team is testing changes to the person picker used on
many pages in Launchpad. The general goal is to ensure that you can
trust you know who the user you are seeing is.  The listing of users
shows the unique-name. IRC nicknames were added, since it was common
for users to search on them. Those who are active in the project you
are working with are shown with the project?s badge to the right of
their name. There will be cases where you want to see more details
about the user before choosing, so the listing includes a link to see
the user?s profile.  Person picker defects are being tracked with the
person-picker tag.

More information can be found at:
http://blog.launchpad.net/general/knowing-who-the-user-is-in-launchpad

== The Planet ==

=== Victor Tuson Palau: Ubuntu Certification: What components do we test? ===

Victor Palau tells more about certification. Certification is a
generic level of functionality to be expected for hardware running on
an Ubuntu Release. Part of the challenge is to identify what hardware
components should be included in the test. The aim is to cover all
widely accepted components, while excluding fringe ones that may only
be of interest to a small set of the user base. In the past it has
been a bit hard to understand what components were tested for
Certification and this has lead to questions like ?Why is the finger
reader scan not working in this certified system?? when the answer is
simply that certification does not test for finger-reading
functionality.

More information can be found at:
http://victorpalau.net/2011/06/24/ubuntu-certification-what-components-do-we-test/

=== Kashmiri Arabic script ? questions, questions? ===

Bruno Maag posts this informative update pertaining to the upcoming
Ubuntu Font Suite release. Important questions are posed in this
article about Kashmiri Arabic script fonts. Please visit this post at
the Canonical Design blog if you can offer any helpful suggestions.

More information can be found at:
http://design.canonical.com/2011/06/ubuntu-arabic-questions-questions/

=== Didier Roche: Accessible Qt now in Oneiric! ===

In this post Didier Roche discusses the addition of QT and
accessibility features made available for Unity 2D starting with the
Oneiric release cycle.

More information can be found at:
http://blog.didrocks.fr/post/Accessible-Qt-now-in-Oneiric%21

=== Victor Tuson Palau: Ubuntu Hardware: Debugging Hard Problems ===

Victor Palau, Platform Services Director at Canonical, shares with us
some of the issues as well as some of the ideas for debugging and
implementing Suspend(S3) and Hibernate(S4) states.

More information can be found at:
http://victorpalau.net/2011/06/21/ubuntu-hardware-debugging-hard-problems/

=== Sergio Meneses: Was performed successfully UbuntuOpenWeek in Spanish! ===

In this blog post, Sergio Andres Meneses Echav?z, computer engineering
student at the university Francisco de Paula Santander, shares the
recent success of 'The Ubuntu Open Week in Spanish'. This event
covered issues of interest and news about Ubuntu including the
management of wikis, Code of Conduct signing, and a special talk on
Unity.

More information can be found at:
http://sergioandresmeneses.wordpress.com/2011/06/20/was-performed-successfully-ubuntuopenweek-in-spanish/

=== Ubuntu Cloud: Ensemble updates and Hit list ===

Posted by Kim0 at the Cloud Portal, this post lists some useful
information about Ensemble, a next generation service orchestration
framework. This information includes an overview of the current
progress of the project, as well as a current 'hit list' of the issues
that need to be addressed.

More information can be found at:
http://cloud.ubuntu.com/2011/06/ensemble-updates-and-hit-list/

=== Juha Siltala: The Grand Review of three new desktops, pt. 2: the
Unity experience ===

Here is an in depth review of KDE4, GNOME3, and Unity. Juha K. Siltala
(a researcher and doctoral student at the Center for Research on
Activity, Development and Learning (CRADLE), University of Helsinki)
has created this excellent blog post which gives a great overview of
these different technologies.

More information can be found at: http://www.siltala.net/?p=378

== In The Press ==

=== Browser Ubuntu: Chrome is the new Firefox ===

Mark Shuttleworth announced that Google Chrome or its open-source
cousin, Chromium, is likely to replace Firefox as the default browser
in Ubuntu Linux in the 12.04 release cycle.

More information can be found at:
http://memeburn.com/2011/06/browser-ubuntu-chrome-is-the-new-firefox/

=== Has Unity Knocked Ubuntu Off Its Pedestal? ===

In this article Katherine Noyes of PCWorld notes some of the feedback
being given about the new Unity interface Ubuntu ships with by
default.

More information can be found at:
http://www.pcworld.com/businesscenter/article/230878/has_unity_knocked_ubuntu_off_its_pedestal.html

=== Ubuntu sliding in popularity ===

In this techeye.net article author Edward Berridge discusses possible
reasons for the the fall in Ubuntu's popularity at Distro-watch.

More information can be found at:
http://www.techeye.net/software/ubuntu-sliding-in-popularity

== In The Blogosphere ==

=== Testing the new Login Manager for Ubuntu, LightDM ===

In 11.10 Ubuntu will be switching to the LightDM for a display
manager. See some suggested mock-ups and learn how you can now help
with testing this new light, themeable display manager.

More information can be found at:
http://ubuntu4beginners.blogspot.com/2011/06/testing-new-login-manger-for-ubuntu.html

=== First Impressions of VirtualBoxed Ubuntu ===

In this blog post, Josh Braun, Cornell University Ph.D. Candidate,
shares his first impressions having recently switched from
dual-booting OSX and ubuntu to running ubuntu in virtualbox under OSX.

More information can be found at: http://wideaperture.net/blog/?p=3312

=== LoCo Council Meeting ===

Paul Mellors discusses his attendance at his first LoCo Council
meeting and the process which teams go through to be re-approved by
the council.

More information can be found at:
http://paulmellors.blogspot.com/2011/06/loco-council-meeting.html

== In Other News ==

=== Full Circle Magazine - Issue #50 ===

Full Circle - the independent magazine for the Ubuntu Linux community
are proud to announce the release of our half-centenary issue.

This month:
 * Command and Conquer.
 * How-To : Program in Python - Part 24, LibreOffice - Part 5, Ubuntu
Development - Part 2, and Use KDE (4.6).
 * Linux Lab - Gnome Shell -vs- Unity.
 * Review - PAM Facial Recognition.
 * Top 5 - USB Installers.
 * I Think - Should Ubuntu keep it's current schedule, or switch to a
rolling release?

plus: Ubuntu Games, My Story, and much much more!

Get it while it's hot! http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-50/

== Featured Podcasts ==

=== Ubuntu UK Podcast: S04E09 ? Brave New World ===

Laura Cowen, Tony Whitmore, Alan Pope, and guest presenter Alan Bell
are back oop North in Studio B (with noisy podcats but no dishwasher)
for episode 9 of season 4 of the Ubuntu Podcast from the UK LoCo Team!

In this week?s show:

 * We talk about monkeying around with a MicroServer (we really must
do a segment about them at some point), going to the Doctor Who
Experience in London (we don?t reveal any spoilers), and going through
108 locks in one weekend on a canal boat.
 * In the news
 * We give updates on OggCamp11 * We interview actor, director,
DRM-free audio books advocate Barnaby Edwards about his new venture,
TextBookStuff (which you can get via the Ubuntu One Music Store).
 * We have a competition to win an audio book from TextBookStuff.
Entries to competition at ubuntu-uk.org by Sunday 17th July
 * We have a Bit About Ubuntu
 * ..and a bit that?s Not About Ubuntu
 * And we had some Command Line Love
 * Finally we have your feedback.

More information is available at:
http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/2011/06/22/s04e09-brave-new-world/

=== Full Circle Podcast #21: Wibberty Wibberty Woo ===

In this episode, why do we need Ubuntu? The desktop versus the cloud.

OGG: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/podpress_trac/web/1381/0/fullcirclepodcast_ep21_240611.ogg

MP3: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/podpress_trac/web/1381/1/fullcirclepodcast_ep21_240611.mp3

More information is available at:
http://fullcirclemagazine.org/2011/06/24/full-circle-podcast-21-wibberty-wibberty-woo/

== Weekly Ubuntu Development Team Meetings ==

 * Ubuntu Desktop Team Meeting Minutes for June 21st, 2011 -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting/2011-06-21
 * Ubuntu Mobile Team Meeting Minutes from June 23rd, 2011 -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Meeting/2011/20110623
 * Ubuntu Server Team Meeting Minutes for June 21st, 2011 -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20110621
 * Ubuntu Kernel Team Meeting Minutes for June 21st, 2011 -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting/2011-06-21
 * Ubuntu Release Team Meeting Minutes for June 24th, 2011 -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam/Meeting/2011-06-24

== Upcoming Meetings and Events ==

For upcoming meetings and events please visit the calendars at
ubuntu-news.org: http://ubuntu-news.org/calendars/

== Updates and Security for 8.04, 10.04, 10.10 and 11.04 ==

=== Security Updates ===

 * USN-1155-1 NBD vulnerability -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/2011-June/001356.html
 * USN-1156-1 tgt vulnerabilities -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/2011-June/001357.html
 * USN-1157-1 Firefox vulnerabilities -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/2011-June/001358.html
 * USN-1157-2 mozvoikko -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/2011-June/001359.html
 * USN-1149-1 Firefox and Xulrunner vulnerabilities -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/2011-June/001360.html
 * USN-1157-3 Firefox regression -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/2011-June/001361.html
 * USN-1158-1 curl vulnerabilities -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/2011-June/001362.html

=== Ubuntu 8.04 Updates ===

 * curl 7.18.0-1ubuntu2.3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2011-June/012667.html

=== Ubuntu 10.04 Updates ===

 * nginx 0.7.65-1ubuntu2.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2011-June/012370.html
 * skype 2.2.0.35-0lucid1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2011-June/012371.html
 * curl 7.19.7-1ubuntu1.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2011-June/012372.html

=== Ubuntu 10.10 Updates ===

 * skype 2.2.0.35-0maverick1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2011-June/009518.html
 * curl 7.21.0-1ubuntu1.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2011-June/009519.html

=== Ubuntu 11.04 Updates ===

 * skype 2.2.0.35-0natty1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/natty-changes/2011-June/011987.html
 * curl 7.21.3-1ubuntu1.2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/natty-changes/2011-June/011988.html
 * cups 1.4.6-5ubuntu1.3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/natty-changes/2011-June/011989.html
 * compiz 1:0.9.4+bzr20110606-0ubuntu1~natty2   -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/natty-changes/2011-June/011990.html
 * libgpod 0.8.0-2ubuntu0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/natty-changes/2011-June/011991.html
 * initramfs-tools 0.98.8ubuntu3.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/natty-changes/2011-June/011992.html
 * apt 0.8.13.2ubuntu4 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/natty-changes/2011-June/011993.html
 * multipath-tools 0.4.8-14ubuntu10.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/natty-changes/2011-June/011994.html
 * gwyddion 2.22-1ubuntu0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/natty-changes/2011-June/011995.html
 * epdfview 0.1.7-5ubuntu1.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/natty-changes/2011-June/011996.html
 * qt4-x11 4:4.7.2-0ubuntu6.2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/natty-changes/2011-June/011997.html

== UWN Translations ==

 * Note to translators and our readers please follow the link below
for the information you need.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Translations

== Subscribe ==

Get your copy of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter delivered each week to
you via email at:

== Archives ==

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter

== Additional Ubuntu News ==

 http://www.ubuntu.com/news

and

 http://fridge.ubuntu.com/

== Conclusion ==

== Credits ==

The Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter is brought to you by:

 * Elizabeth Krumbach
 * Mike Holstein
 * Tubuntu
 * Unit193
 * Nigel Babu
 * Nathan Handler
 * And many others

== Glossary of Terms ==

Other acronyms can be found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/glossary

== Ubuntu - Get Involved ==

The Ubuntu community consists of individuals and teams, working on
different aspects of the distribution, giving advice and technical
support, and helping to promote Ubuntu to a wider audience. No
contribution is too small, and anyone can help. It's your chance to
get in on all the community fun associated with developing and
promoting Ubuntu. http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate

== Feedback ==

This document is maintained by the Ubuntu Weekly News Team. If you
have a story idea or suggestions for the Weekly Newsletter, join the
Ubuntu News Team mailing list at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-news-team and submit
it. Ideas can also be added to the wiki at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Ideas. If you'd like to
contribute to a future issue of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, please
feel free to edit the appropriate wiki page. If you have any technical
support questions, please send them to ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com.

Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License: Creative Commons License 3.0
BY SA (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/)