Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter Issue 214

Amber Graner akgraner at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 18 16:20:25 BST 2010

Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue 214 for the week
October 11th - 16th, 2010.

== Links to UWN ==

 * Wiki page: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue214

 * PDF: http://people.ubuntu.com/~akgraner/UWN%20PDF%20Issues/UWN_Issue_214.pdf

== In This Issue ==

 * Improving The Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter Survey
 * Translators: you are awesome and you should be proud of it
 * Enabling Automatic Bug Expiry
 * Unity and uTouch
 * Multitouch News
 * Ubuntu Stats
 * LoCo News
 * AskUbuntu reaches 2000 questions - 5000 answers - 4000 users - 20000 votes
 * Introducing the Bikeshed Package!
 * Ubuntu Manga Chapter 7!
 * AskUbuntu Growing Fast
 * In The Press
 * In The Blogosphere
 * The Trouble With GUIs
 * 42 day widget
 * Planning and Executing the Linaro Cycle
 * Full Circle Podcast on YouTube
 * Featured Podcasts
 * Weekly Ubuntu Development Team Meetings
 * Upcoming Meetings and Events
 * Updates and Security
 * UWN Sneak Peek
 * And much much more

== General Community News ==

=== Improving the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter Survey ===

If you have already taken the time to take to fill out this 10
question survey thank you so much.  By giving a few minutes of your
time you are helping the Ubuntu News Team to continue improve on how
we bring you your Ubuntu News.

If you haven't had time to take the survey please consider doing so
this week.  The survey will close on October 23rd, 2010 on or about
2400UTC.

The survey can be found at:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=1x9NE1y7Qe52nlsr4btCyw_3d_3d

Thank you in advance!

~the Ubuntu News Team

=== Translators: you are awesome and you should be proud of it ===

David Planella, Ubuntu Community Team writes about Translations Awesomeness -

As you all know the Meerkat is out.

After the release frenzy, I’d like to take a step back and use the
opportunity to thank the people from the part of the community that’s
closer to me: translators.

For those not familiar with them, they are a vital piece of the
diverse group of individuals that bring Ubuntu to millions: they
enable almost everyone to use Ubuntu in their own language. With every
release they manage to organize, coordinate and perform the
translation effort for the applications that are part of our Operating
System.

We’ve got more than 1600 translatable applications for Ubuntu in
Launchpad, and believe me, translating even the set of most visible
ones is an incredible achievement. Not to forget the effort of
upstream translation teams, the work of which is also reflected in
Ubuntu.

All in all, the end result is something to be truly proud of.

For the full post go to:

http://davidplanella.wordpress.com/2010/10/15/translators-you-are-awesome-and-you-should-be-proud-of-it/

=== Enabling Automatic Bug Expiry ===

What is about to change? Launchpad has always advertised that we
auto-expire incomplete bugs matching certain conditions, but we
haven’t done this for awhile now.  We are ready to turn this feature
back on.  This means that bugs that are considered inactive will have
their status automatically changed from Incomplete to Expired.  For
more detail on how Launchpad determines if a bug is inactive,visit our
Bug Expiry help page.
This change will take effect in about two weeks, sometime during the
week of 18 October 2010.

For more information go to:

http://blog.launchpad.net/general/enabling-automatic-bug-expiry

=== Unity and uTouch ===

One of the most exciting things about the Ubuntu 10.10 release has
been the delivery of the Unity ‘shell’ in Ubuntu Netbook Edition,
which delivers a very different user experience to that in the main
desktop edition. It also features the new Ubuntu Multitouch framework,
called uTouch. The Canonical blog shows off some of the new multitouch
features and also includes videos.

http://blog.canonical.com/?p=446

=== Multitouch News ===

Duncan McGreggor, Engineering Manager, Product Strategy for Canonical,
posted two blog entries with updates on multitouch in Ubuntu this
week. The Ubuntu 10.10 release shipped with the new uTouch stack. He
writes about how to get involved, posts a video demoing its features
and writes about the Qt community and their involvement in the uTouch
stack.

http://oubiwann.blogspot.com/2010/10/ubuntu-1010-multi-touch-video.html
http://oubiwann.blogspot.com/2010/10/multitouch-and-qt.html

 * Open (83068) +1201 over last week
 * Critical (33) +3 over last week
 * Unconfirmed (41502) +338 over last week

As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started,
please see  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

=== Translation Stats Maverick ===

 1. English (Uk) (5604)
 2. Spanish (10093)
 3. Brazilian Portuguese (31785)
 4. French (41567)
 5. Turkish (54009)

Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat", see
more at: https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/

=== Ubuntu Brainstorm Top 5 this week ===

 * Ubuntu community sites need more exposition -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/26084/
 * To allow kernel updates without a reboot (by default) -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/26083/
 * Upgrade distribution is very long - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/26082/
 * Better focus stealing prevention - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/26094/
 * Use BTRFS Advanced features - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/26121/

Ubuntu Brainstorm is a community site geared toward letting you add
your ideas for Ubuntu. You can submit your own idea, or vote for or
against another idea. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

=== AskUbuntu Stats this week ===

==== Most Active Questions ====

 * What native games are available? -
http://ubuntu.stackexchange.com/questions/6586/what-native-games-are-available
 * What's the difference between Google Chrome and/or Chromium?
What are the advantages/disadvantages to each? -
http://ubuntu.stackexchange.com/questions/6253/whats-the-difference-between-google-chrome-and-or-chromium-what-are-the-advanta
 * Does Ubuntu have an alternative to OS X's Spotlight? -
http://ubuntu.stackexchange.com/questions/6135/does-ubuntu-have-an-alternative-to-os-xs-spotlight
 * How to get a bug
noticedhttp://ubuntu.stackexchange.com/questions/6971/how-to-get-a-bug-noticed
 * Screenshot tools for Ubuntu? -
http://ubuntu.stackexchange.com/questions/6558/screenshot-tools-for-ubuntu

==== Top Voted New Questions ====

 * What native games are available? -
http://ubuntu.stackexchange.com/questions/6586/
 * How to get a bug noticed - http://ubuntu.stackexchange.com/questions/6971/
 * What's the difference between Google Chrome and/or Chromium? What
are the advantages/disadvantages to each? -
http://ubuntu.stackexchange.com/questions/6253/
 * What is the difference between "Unmount", "Eject", "Safely Remove
Drive" and the eject icon? -
http://ubuntu.stackexchange.com/questions/5845/
 * Automatic Mute Speakers When Headphones are Unplugged -
http://ubuntu.stackexchange.com/questions/6951/

People Contributing the best questions and answers this week:

 * Riccardo Murri - http://askubuntu.com/users/325/riccardo-murri
 * Oli - http://askubuntu.com/users/449/oli
 * Jorge Castro - http://askubuntu.com/users/235/jorge-castro
 * Evgeny Martynov - http://askubuntu.com/users/2804/evgeny-martynov
 * Murat Gunes - http://askubuntu.com/users/2181/murat-gunes

== LoCo News ==

=== LoCo Teams on the Hall Of Fame ===

As you may know, during Maverick cycle we introduced statistics from
our testers to be reflected in the Ubuntu Hall Of Fame. Well, now, and
thanks to my good friend Daniel Holbach, we have, not only individual
statistics, but also statistics by LoCo team.

For more information go to:

http://ubuntutesting.wordpress.com/2010/10/13/loco-teams-on-the-hall-of-fame/

=== Logging of Ubuntu LoCo Teams core channels ===

Greetings from the LoCo Council, We would like to take a moment and
discuss some ideas with you about implementing LoCo Bot logging of
#ubuntu- channels on freenode. There is a method to this madness, and
this would only apply to
#ubuntu-<loco-team-name> (*main channels only, not off-topic ones*).

The LoCo Council have discussed the issue of LoCo-team channel logging
with the IRC Council and we've taken advice from Jono Bacon, the
Ubuntu Community manager. It was recommended to us that all LoCo teams
should enable logging
for their main channel, and that we open this up for discussion on
this mailing list.

For many Approved teams this is already a standard practice and we
thank you for it, but we would like to encourage this practice among
the rest of the teams for a couple of good reasons.

For more information go to:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/loco-contacts/2010-October/004997.html

=== Slovenian Ubuntu 10.10 Release Party was a Success ===

Firstly, David Klasinc presented the new Ubuntu release in his own
unique way, and also gave a presentation on the novelties of Ubuntu
Netbook release. He emphasized the e-mail client called Evolution, and
the Ubuntu Music Store, which is integrated in the Rhythmbox music
player. Especially for the audience, he also demonstrated how to
purchase music through the above mentioned service. During his
presentation, he also came across a few problems which amused the
audience. After that, he also presented cloud service Ubuntu One.

For more information go to:

http://slovenski-prevajalci.blogspot.com/2010/10/slovenian-ubuntu-1010-release-party-was.html

== The Planet ==

=== Ralph Janke: AskUbuntu reaches 2000 questions - 5000 answers -
4000 users - 20000 votes ===

Only 65 days after conception of the private beta after the proposal
was accepted on Area 51, and after the successful launch as permanent
Q&A site in our new Ubuntu design, we have reached the 2000 question
threshold. Those 2000 questions have been answered to 93% with 5000
answers by 4000 users. 20000 votes have been cast for the questions
and answers.

http://drupal.txwikinger.me.uk/content/askubuntu-reaches-2000-questions-5000-answers-4000-users-20000-votes

=== Dustin Kirkland: Introducing the Bikeshed Package! ===

Dustin, like many of us, has many scripts used locally to achieve all
kinds of things. Some of these tools and utilities may be appropriate
for packaging in Ubuntu, but often this never happens. Dustin created
a Bikeshed branch in Launchpad where contributors can drop their
scripts for wider use or for someone else to package up.

http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2010/10/introducing-bikeshed-package.html

=== Martin Owens: Ubuntu Manga Chapter 7! ===

Martin has released the installfest chapter of the 'romantic comic'
Ubunchu. He recommends it to anyone who is involved with advocacy.

http://doctormo.org/2010/10/16/ubunchu-chapter-7-in-english-released/

=== Jorge Castro: AskUbuntu Growing Fast ===

Jorge reports that the AskUbuntu support site has seen great growth
recently and also suggests some tools that may be used to better use
the site. Stackapplet allows you to monitor activities from your
Ubuntu indicator area, while DroidStack keeps you up to date on the go
on your Android device.

http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/1315470720/growing-fast

== In The Press ==

=== Is Ubuntu 10.10 Worth the Upgrade? ===

Itching to upgrade to Ubuntu 10.10? Not so fast! Look before you leap,
you may want to stick with Ubuntu 10.04, especially if you’re a
netbook user.

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/7883

=== Schools Combine Netbooks, Open Source ===

Patricia Mohr writes about - The marriage of netbooks and open source
has given schools the power to create and expand 1-to-1 computing.

In the 'Let Learning Goals Lead' section Mohr writes - Dan Maas, the
chief information officer for the 15,500-student Littleton public
school system in Colorado, started installing Ubuntu-based netbooks in
his schools after the district identified student writing as an area
it wanted to improve.

For more information go to:

http://www.edweek.org/dd/articles/2010/10/20/01netbookopen.h04.html

=== Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat Pokes Its Head Out ===

Version 10.10 of Ubuntu, also known as "Maverick Meerkat," has
arrived. The Linux operating system comes in three different versions:
one of desktops and laptops, one for servers and one with a special
Unity interface designed specifically for netbooks. For version 10.10,
Canonical has put a great deal of focus on the OS's cloud offerings.

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/71012.html?wlc=1286938969

=== 10 Things to Know About Maverick Meerkat ===

Paul Rubens from Serverwatch reviews 10 features or news about
Maverick Meerkat server edition. He most talks about various cloud
services delivered in the new version.

For the full article, please visit:

http://www.serverwatch.com/eur/article.php/3907901/10-Things-to-Know-About-Maverick-Meerkat

=== A Linux That Works ===

Dan Gillmor from Salon migrates his computers to the new Ubuntu release.

For his article, please visit:

http://www.salon.com/technology/dan_gillmor/2010/10/11/linux_that_works

=== Augen Table Will Dual-Boot Ubuntu and Android ===

Augen, the company from Florida, has announced that one of its six
forthcoming tablets will run both Android and Ubuntu. The tablet
factor comprises a detachable 10.2-inch tablet with an
enhanced-brightness and high-resolution 1024-by-768 Multi-Touch
Capacitive Screen; its base, meanwhile, includes a QWERTY
chocolate-style LED backlit keyboard. Each device provides around 10
hours of autonomous work, but docked together they'd provide up to 15
hours.

For the full article and details, please visit:

http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/364086/augen_tablet_will_dual-boot_ubuntu_android/?rid=-219

=== Ubuntu Linux Desktop Builds on App Store, Cloud Service Strengths ===

Jason Brooks from eWeek.com gives an overview to the new Maverick
Meerkat release of Ubuntu OS. According to Jason, " ...Ubuntu 10.10,
code-named Maverick Meerkat, brings a number of software updates and
an overhauled user interface for its netbook edition. Additionally,
Ubuntu Linux Desktop Builds on App Store, Cloud Service Strengths".

For the full article, please visit:

http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Linux-and-Open-Source/Ubuntu-Linux-Desktop-Builds-on-App-Store-Cloud-Service-Strengths-818640

=== New Ubuntu Support Site Debuts ===

Christopher Tozzi, The Var Guy publication writes - Just in time for
the Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) release, Stack Exchange has
introduced a new website, called askubuntu.com, dedicated to Q&A for
Ubuntu users, developers and partners. Here’s a look, and some
thoughts on where the site fits into the Ubuntu ecosystem.

For more about Christopher's thoughts go to:

http://www.thevarguy.com/2010/10/11/new-ubuntu-support-site-debuts/
== In The Blogosphere ==

=== Ubuntu - The Flagship Linux Desktop Distro ===

Jeff Hoogland says whether everyone likes it not, "Ubuntu has done
wonders for the Linux  desktop."  He goes on to show data comparing
Ubuntu and Linux in Google Trends.  He ends with saying that Ubuntu
has been the least painful to configure of all the distributions that
he has used so far and the one he would recommend to all.

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/10/ubuntu-flagship-linux-desktop-distro.html

=== Kubuntu 10.10 ===

Jim Lynch does a thorough review of the Kubuntu 10.10 desktop.  He
looks at What's New, Installation, Default Software, and more.  He
rants a bit about a few things but overall gives a good rating.

http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2010/10/13/kubuntu-10-10/

== In Other News ==

=== The Trouble With GUIs ===

Like everything else in life, it boils down to having the right tool
for the right job ... and the command line is like that all-purpose
screwdriver that we all have," said Slashdot blogger Barbara Hudson.
"It opens paint cans, makes a handy chisel, pry bar and wedge -- we
grab it, get the job done, and move on.

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/71030.html?wlc=1287202723

=== 42 day widget ===

Yesterday [October 10, 2010] we [Canonical Design Team] successfully
released the new versions of Ubuntu family. As you all know, yesterday
was such a special date which occurs every 100 years: 10/10/10. But if
you are a fan of The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy, as we are, you
would also know that 42 is THE answer. Since 101010 is 42 in binary,
and Ubuntu is our 42, we couldn’t help to take this date very
seriously.
To celebrate this special event where hopes, people and bits get
together, we created a little widget that you can easily embed on your
website (more pictures on the way):

For more info about it and how to use it, please visit
http://design.canonical.com/wp-content/themes/canonical-design/42day/

http://design.canonical.com/2010/10/42-day-widget/

=== Planning and Executing the Linaro Cycle ===

The Linaro release cycle is similar to the Ubuntu one but does has
some subtle differences, specifically around the planning stages. This
presentation shows how Linaro plans, implements and finally releases
software every six months. The slides for this presentation can be
found on slideshare.net and are available in many formats on my Linaro
wiki page.

http://www.linuxuk.org/2010/10/planning-and-executing-the-linaro-cycle/

=== Full Circle Podcast on YouTube ===

In a bold (and some say rash) experiment, the Full Circle Podcast is
on YouTube. We’ve created a YouTube channel for the Podcast with two
episodes. Podcast Episode #11 in individual segments as
audio-with-banner, Side-Pod #4 in two parts: Part one is the
news/opinion section, part 2 is our first Screencast of sorts

http://fullcirclemagazine.org/2010/10/11/full-circle-podcast-on-youtube/

== Featured Podcasts ==

=== Ubuntu UK Podcast: Laughing Gas ===

Laura Cowen, Alan Pope, Tony Whitmore and Guest Presenter marK Johnson
return with episode 18 of season 3 of the Ubuntu Podcast from the UK
LoCo Team!

 * What we've been doing
 * Interviews
 * In The News
 * Upcoming Events
 * Review Ubuntu 10.10 features
 * Command Line Love
 * Ubuntu Related News
 * Listener Feedback

 . Ogg High - http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/download/uupc_s03e18_high.ogg
 . Ogg Low - http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/download/uupc_s03e18_low.ogg
 . Mp3 High - http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/download/uupc_s03e18_high.mp3
 . Mp3 Low - http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/download/uupc_s03e18_low.mp3

http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/2010/10/13/s03e18-laughing-gas/

=== Full Circle Podcast: Dave’s Nocturnal Desires ===

In this episode, those Meerkats go Maverick. We look over Ubuntu 10.10.

  * Ogg Format -
http://fullcirclemagazine.org/podpress_trac/web/995/1/fullcirclepodcast_ep12_151010.ogg
  * MP3 Format -
http://fullcirclemagazine.org/podpress_trac/web/995/0/fullcirclepodcast_ep12_151010.mp3

== Weekly Ubuntu Development Team Meetings ==

 * Ubuntu Desktop Team Meeting Minutes for October 12th, 2010
-https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting/2010-10-12
 * Ubuntu Mobile Team Meeting Minutes from October 12th, 1010
-https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Meeting/2010/20101012
 * Ubuntu Server Team Meeting Minutes for October 12th, 2010
-https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20101012
 * Ubuntu Kernel Team Meeting Minutes for October 12th, 2010
-https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting/2010-10-12
 * Ubuntu Foundations Team Meeting Minutes for October 12th, 2010
-https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam/Meetings/2010/1012
 * Ubuntu Release Team Meeting Minutes for October 15th, 2010
-https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam/Meeting/2010-10-15

== Upcoming Meetings and Events ==

=== Tuesday,  19 October, 2010 ===

==== Community Council Meeting ====

 * Start: 10:00 UTC
 * End: 12:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC Channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityCouncilAgenda

==== Ubuntu Mobile Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 13:00 UTC
 * End: 14:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC Channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Meeting

==== Technical Board Meeting ====

 * Start: 14:00 UTC
 * End: 15:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC Channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: None isted as of time of publication

==== Desktop Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 16:30 UTC
 * End: 17:30 UTC
 * Location: IRC Channel #ubuntu-desktop on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting

==== Kernel Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 17:00 UTC
 * End: 18:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC Channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: None listed as of time of publication

==== LoCo Council Meeting ====

 * Start: 20:00 UTC
 * End: 21:00 UTC
 * Location:IRC Channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoCouncil/Agenda

=== Wednesday,  20 October, 2010 ===

==== Weekly Ubuntu Foundations team meeting ====

 * Start: 15:00 UTC
 * End: 16:00 UTC
 * Location: Channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https:/wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam/Meetings/2010/1020

==== QA Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 17:00 UTC
 * End: 18:00 UTC
 * Location: Channel #ubuntu-quality on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Meetings/

==== Jono Bacon @ Home Videocast : Various Topics and Q+A ====

 * Start: 18:00 UTC
 * End: 19:00 UTC
 * Location: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/at-home-with-jono-bacon
 * Agenda: This is a weekly videocast by the Ubuntu Community Manager,
Jono Bacon in which he discusses a range of topics and also provides a
regular weekly Q+A.

==== Edubuntu Meeting ====

 * Start: 19:00 UTC
 * End: 20:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC Channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Edubuntu/Meetings/Agenda

=== Thursday, 21 October, 2010 ===

==== Ayatana UX team meeting ====

 * Start: 12:00 UTC
 * End: 12:30 UTC
 * Location: IRC Channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: * Introductions * Review team charter * Organize first UX
activity * Brainstorm future UX activities

==== Americas Regional Membership Board Meeting ====

 * Start: 23:59 UTC
 * End: 01:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC Channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership/RegionalBoards/Americas

=== Friday, 22 October, 2010 ===

None Listed as of time of publication

=== Saturday, 23 October, 2010 ===

None Listed as of time of publication

=== Sunday,  24 October, 2010 ===

==== Ubuntu Gaming Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 19:00 UTC
 * End: 21:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC Channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: None listed as of time of publication

=== Monday,  October, 2010 ===

==== Security Team Catch-up ====

 * Start: 17:00 UTC
 * End: 17:30 UTC
 * Location: IRC Channel #ubuntu-meeting on freenode.net
 * Agenda: nothing formal, just a weekly catch-up. Weekly Ubuntu
Security Team catch-up meeting. Anyone is welcome to join if they want
to watch, contribute, etc.

== Updates and Security for 6.06, 8.04, 9.04, 9.10, 10.04 and 10.10 ==

=== Security Updates ===

 * USN-1004-1: Django vulnerability - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-1004-1

=== Ubuntu 6.06 Updates ===

 * None Reported

=== Ubuntu 8.04 Updates ===

 * acroread 9.4-1hardy1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2010-October/012561.html

=== Ubuntu 9.04 Updates ===

 * python-django 1.0.2-1ubuntu0.2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2010-October/010165.html

=== Ubuntu 9.10 Updates ===

 * acroread 9.4-1karmic1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-October/012502.html
 * adobereader-deu 9.4-1karmic1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-October/012503.html

=== Ubuntu 10.04 Updates ===

 * adobeair 2.5.0.16410-1lucid1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-October/011798.html
 * clamav 0.96.3+dfsg-2ubuntu1.0.10.04.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-October/011799.html
 * qoauth 1.0-2ubuntu4~lucid1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-October/011800.html
 * eglibc 2.11.1-0ubuntu7.4 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-October/011801.html
 * choqok 0.9.85-0ubuntu2~lucid1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-October/011802.html
 * linux-meta-lts-backport-maverick 2.6.35.22.34 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-October/011803.html
 * acroread 9.4-1lucid1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-October/011804.html
 * adobereader-deu 9.4-1lucid1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-October/011805.html
 * app-install-data-partner 12.10.04.4 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-October/011806.html
 * update-manager 1:0.134.11 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-October/011807.html
 * gnome-exe-thumbnailer 0.7-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-October/011808.html
 * wine1.2 1.2-0ubuntu6~lucid5 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-October/011809.html
 * python-django 1.1.1-2ubuntu1.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-October/011810.html
 * arkeia 8.2.10-1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-October/011811.html
 * kubuntu-docs 10.04.3.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-October/011812.html
 * icoutils 0.29.1-0ubuntu1~lucid -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-October/011813.html
 * adobeair 1:2.0.4.13090-1lucid1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-October/011814.html

=== Ubuntu 10.10 Updates ===

 * adobeair 2.5.0.16410-1maverick1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008868.html
 * libgpod 0.7.95-1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008869.html
 * kde4libs 4:4.5.1-0ubuntu8 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008870.html
 * kdebase-runtime 4:4.5.1-0ubuntu3.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008871.html
 * clamav 0.96.3+dfsg-2ubuntu1.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008872.html
 * josm-plugins 0.0.svn23040-1~ubuntu0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008873.html
 * unity 0.2.46-0ubuntu5 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008874.html
 * bluedevil 1.0~rc4-0ubuntu2.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008875.html
 * simple-scan 2.32.0-0ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008876.html
 * gnome-settings-daemon 2.32.0-0ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008877.html
 * qtmobility 1.0.2-2ubuntu0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008878.html
 * cryptsetup 2:1.1.2-1ubuntu1.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008879.html
 * linux-linaro 2.6.35-1007.13 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008880.html
 * virtinst 0.500.3-2ubuntu1.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008881.html
 * netbook-meta 2.035 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008882.html
 * acroread 9.4-1maverick1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008883.html
 * adobereader-deu 9.4-1maverick1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008884.html
 * python-django 1.2.3-1ubuntu0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008885.html
 * ubuntu-sso-client 1.0.4-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008886.html
 * xfce4-indicator-plugin 0.0.1-2ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008887.html
 * linux-meta-linaro 2.6.35.1007.12 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008888.html
 * vm-builder 0.12.4-0ubuntu1.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008889.html
 * silc-client 1.1.7-1ubuntu0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008890.html
 * software-center 3.0.5 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008891.html
 * app-install-data-partner 12.10.10.3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008892.html
 * lxdm 0.2.0-0ubuntu3.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008893.html
 * alsa-lib 1.0.23-1ubuntu2.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008894.html
 * gcalctool 5.32.0-0ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008895.html
 * cluster-glue 1.0.6-1ubuntu1.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008896.html
 * pulseaudio 1:0.9.22~0.9.21+stable-queue-32-g8478-0ubuntu21.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008897.html
 * simple-scan 2.32.0-0ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008898.html
 * linux-ti-omap4 2.6.35-903.16 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008899.html
 * kubuntu-docs 10.10.2.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008900.html
 * plasma-widget-yawp 0.3.5-0ubuntu1~lucid1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008901.html
 * evolution 2.30.3-1ubuntu7 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008902.html
 * pitivi 0.13.5-1ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008903.html
 * evolution-exchange 2.30.3-0ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008904.html
 * php5 5.3.3-1ubuntu9.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008905.html
 * rhythmbox-ubuntuone-music-store 0.1.9-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008906.html
 * dragonegg 2.8-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008907.html
 * gcalctool 5.32.0-0ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008908.html
 * libdrm 2.4.21-1ubuntu2.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008909.html
 * openldap 2.4.23-0ubuntu3.2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008910.html
 * simplecommeubuntu 10.10 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008911.html
 * bzr 2.2.1-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008912.html
 * cups 1.4.4-6ubuntu2.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008913.html
 * evolution-data-server 2.30.3-2ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008914.html
 * alsa-utils 1.0.23-2ubuntu3.2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008915.html
 * adobeair 1:2.0.4.13090-1maverick1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/maverick-changes/2010-October/008916.html

== UWN Translations ==

 * Note to translators and our readers please follow the link below
for the information you need.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Translations

== UWN Sneak Peek ==

* Ubuntu 10.10: date with destiny -
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/10/11/ubuntu_10_10_review/

* Ubuntu Tweak 0.6 Mockup Looks Impressive, Work On The New UI Already
Started - http://lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=143019

* Prakash Advani: Installing Debian on the Plug Computer -
http://cityblogger.com/archives/2010/10/12/installing-debian-on-the-plug-computer

* Exposed: 3 bogus myths about the private cloud -
http://www.infoworld.com/d/cloud-computing/exposed-3-bogus-myths-about-the-private-cloud-432?source=rss_

* New Linux Foundation survey shows significant gains for enterprise
Linux - http://lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=142942

* Using Youtube to Promote Linux and Free Software -
http://lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=142920

* Here's a crazy security idea - ditch Windows for Ubuntu 10.10 Linux
- http://blogs.techworld.com/war-on-error/2010/10/heres-a-crazy-security-idea---ditch-windows-for-ubuntu-1010-linux/

* Medibuntu repository is available for Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat
- http://www.unixmen.com/linux-distributions/4-ubuntu/1241-medibuntu-repository-is-available-for-ubuntu-1010-maverick-meerkat

* ATI Linux Users Get Excited For Catalyst 10.10 -
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODY2OA

* This week in design – 15 October 2010 - http://design.canonical.com/?p=12356

* Linux Conference Australia 2011 announces registrations now open -
http://humphreybc.wordpress.com/?p=1100

== Subscribe ==

Get your copy of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter delivered each week to
you via email at:

== Archives and RSS Feed ==

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter

You can subscribe to the Ubuntu Weekly News via RSS at:
http://fridge.ubuntu.com/uwn/feed

== Additional Ubuntu News ==

 http://www.ubuntu.com/news

and

 http://fridge.ubuntu.com/

== Conclusion ==

== Credits ==

The Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter is brought to you by:

 * Amber Graner
 * Liraz Siri
 * Alex Lourie
 * Jonathan Carter
 * Penelope Stowe
 * And many others

== Glossary of Terms ==

Other acronyms can be found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/glossary

== Ubuntu - Get Involved ==

The Ubuntu community consists of individuals and teams, working on
different aspects of the distribution, giving advice and technical
support, and helping to promote Ubuntu to a wider audience. No
contribution is too small, and anyone can help. It's your chance to
get in on all the community fun associated with developing and
promoting Ubuntu. http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate

== Feedback ==

This document is maintained by the Ubuntu Weekly News Team. If you
have a story idea or suggestions for the Weekly Newsletter, join the
Ubuntu News Team mailing list at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-news-team and submit
it. Ideas can also be added to the wiki at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Ideas. If you'd like to
contribute to a future issue of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, please
feel free to edit the appropriate wiki page. If you have any technical
support questions, please send them to ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com.

Except where otherwise noted, content in this issue is licensed under
a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License -