No subject

Thu May 20 18:13:08 BST 2010

and old-timers alike. I really do think it=92s well written, helpful,
and I would quite happily recommend it to anybody looking for a book
on Ubuntu. Not to mention, the book is compact (much thinner, but
equally as full as, some other Ubuntu books I own), and very
stylish=85that=92s my opinion of course=85but I think this book would look
quite the part sitting on anybody=92s bookshelf.

For more information go to:

http://blog.joeb454.com/?p=3D441

=3D=3D=3D Canonical Design Team: This week in design =96 23 July 2010 =3D=
=3D=3D

This week's summaries include:

 * Stoked about The Stack!
 * Ubuntu development
 * The Ubuntu font
 * Guidelines
 * Could you walk for 24hrs?

 To find out more go to:

 http://design.canonical.com/2010/07/this-week-in-design-23-july-2010/

=3D=3D=3D Benjamin Humphrey: Getting Started with Ubuntu 10.04 is now
available in Greek! =3D=3D=3D

Yes, that=92s right  - after a couple of months and many, many delays,
we can finally release the first translated version of Getting Started
with Ubuntu 10.04 in Greek. Hopefully this will pave way for some more
translations to be available in the next few weeks, such as German,
Galician and English UK which are almost completed.

For more information and to see who you can get a copy go to:

http://humphreybc.wordpress.com/?p=3D973

=3D=3D=3D Elizabeth Krumbach: How to Ask Smart Questions by Martin Owens =
=3D=3D=3D

Elizabeth Krumbach takes a closer look at Martin Owens' "How to Ask
Smart Questions."

Here are some of the suggestions Martin has for asking smart(er) questions:

 * Research the Problem
 * Ask the Right People
 * Don't Ask to Ask
 * Ask everyone
 * Don't Ask When Busy
 * Be Clear
 * Include Purpose
 * Be Patient

 To read more about what Lyz had to say about this guide or to get a
link to Martin's PDF go to:

 http://princessleia.com/journal/?p=3D3248

=3D=3D=3D Martin Albisetti's blog: Ubuntu One iphone client, source code re=
leased =3D=3D=3D

We should have released the source for the iphone client right after
we did the upload to the appstore, but a bunch of bureaucracy and
crazy work deadlines postponed this until now.
We=92re going to be doing some work for the Ubuntu 10.10 release on the
iphone client as well as on a new Android client, both clients are
going to be open source, like all our other Ubuntu One clients.

We=92ve created the projects on Launchpad, pushed the initial source
code for the iphone client, and will start pushing Android as soon as
we get out of the exploration stage.

The projects are available at:
iphone:  https://launchpad.net/ubuntuone-ios-client
android: https://launchpad.net/ubuntuone-android-client

Stay tuned for more on our new mobile services!

http://beuno.com.ar/archives/205

=3D=3D=3D David Planella: Ubuntu Translation Teams Healthcheck =3D=3D=3D

David Planella updates everyone on the health of the Ubuntu
translation efforts. Here is some of what David had to say:

Some weeks ago I ran the Ubuntu Translation teams healthcheck survey.
The main goal was getting in touch with the teams to have some
feedback on how they were doing, if they needed help in any particular
area and make sure that they were aware of the latest changes in
translation policies. While the results were available on the wiki, I
hadn=92t had a chance to post a summary.

The summary includes:
 * Language info
 * Translation team policies
 * Translation team workflow

 David concludes with the following:

 It would have been interesting to compare results with previous data
from a couple of cycles ago, but having been part of it for a long
time now, my feeling is that the Ubuntu Translations community is
developing in the right direction, and I hope that this survey also
serves as a testimonial to show external translation communities how
Ubuntu translators work. The points about the importance of a defined
workflow, team communication, quality assurance and upstream
coordination are most definitely getting across.

Some areas in which we=92ll have to concentrate is seeing how we can
help those teams that are or have become inactive, better communicate
the Ubuntu translation policies and work with the teams who don=92t have
translation guidelines to start developing some. I will also go back
to the teams who explicitly asked for help in particular areas.

This has also offered me an invaluable insight on each team and their
current situation and workflow, which will help me working with them
in the future.

Thanks to everyone who took the time to complete it, as the input has
been very valuable to know more about the Ubuntu translations
community.? You allow millions of users to use Ubuntu in their own
language every day, and you truly rock.

To find out more about this translation healthcheck survey go to:

http://davidplanella.wordpress.com/2010/07/21/ubuntu-translation-teams-heal=
thcheck/

=3D=3D=3D Fabian Rodriguez: An invitation to join Ubuntu=92s Q&A group on
Shapado.com =3D=3D=3D

This is an invitation to anyone interested in joining a multi-lingual,
freely-licensed Ubuntu Q&A site to check http://ubuntu.shapado.com.

As a disclaimer I should mention that I work at Canonical as a senior
support analyst for Ubuntu support (both desktop and server) and I
also train other people to provide Ubuntu support. I am also the admin
and creator of the Ubuntu group in Shapado (10 months ago). So I
constantly switch my community and professional hats.

I use the Answers system in Launchpad extensively (including its FAQ
facility) but it lacks two big features:
 * Non-English language support =96 also known as =93l10n=94 or
=93localization=93. That would beBug #81419.
 * A reputation / trust system

As you can see that bug report is in an odd deadlock. My
interpretation of it is Answers and Launchpad itself were not planned
from the beginning to be multilingual. It=92s so big now that this can=92t
be done quickly or easily.

To find out more about more about Fabian's invitation and Shapado.com go to=
:

http://www.fabianrodriguez.com/blog/2010/07/19/an-invitation-to-try-ubuntus=
-qa-on-shapado-com/

=3D=3D=3D Jonathan Riddell: Akademy 30 second interviews, Eben Moglen,
Helsinki, Prague =3D=3D=3D

Jonathan Riddell posts interviews from Akademy.  To watch these videos
and to find out more information on this video series go to:

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/4284

=3D=3D=3D Jorge Castro: "Blog about what you're doing" =3D=3D=3D

In this post Jorge challenges everyone to blog about what they are
doing in the Ubuntu Community to help deliver a great product.  Here
is what Jorge had to say:

People have been doing awesome work lately:

 * Cody Russell and Neil Patel have been rocking Unity.
 * Paul Hummer and Aaron Bentley have been doing amazing work fixing
tons of bugs so that we can offer people an easy way to offer daily
builds.
 * Happiness is seeing the LoCo council working with individual teams
through reapproval and the level of detailed work going on there.

I=92m going to make an effort to stop blogging about =93what I am doing=94
and talk about the people who are enabling me to do stuff because I
can=92t catch them all, but if we think about our team members more we
can collectively tell our story.

Lately I think we=92ve gotten in a collective funk of =93here=92s what I
think about this.=94 followed by =93Oh yeah, well here=92s what I think of
that=94, and =93Allow me to retort!=94 and then getting stuck in a rabbit
hole of distractions.

So screw that, let=92s share some stories Like this. And this. And talk
about the people that are inspiring you that enables us to deliver
this stuff to people.

To read more about what Jorge is asking folks to do as well as the
examples he is pointing to go to:

http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/848936347

=3D=3D=3D Monty Taylor: Bugs vs Blueprints =3D=3D=3D

In this posting by Monty Taylor he goes over the difference between
bugs and blueprints.

Launchpad has two facilities for filing tasks that need to be done in
a source tree, Bugs and Blueprints. I've spoken to folks who think the
two should be collapsed in to one thing, and folks who think they need
to remain separate. I'm in the latter camp, so I thought I'd weigh in
real quick with a quick explanation of what I think the difference
between the two is. Whether they are fundamentally the same object in
the backend object model is irrelevant to me - I'm talking about
developer workflow and thought.
In my view, it's really simple:

 * A Bug is a record of something that needs to be done - the what
 * A Blueprint is a record of how something will be done - the how

To read the rest of what Monty had to say on the subject of bugs and
blueprints go to:

 http://inaugust.com/post/80

=3D=3D In The Press =3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D Why NASA uses Open Source =3D=3D=3D

Sean Michael Kerner writes about NASA and how they use Open Source.
Sean writes:

With Billions of dollars and massive technology needs that are
literally out-of-this-world, NASA has a lot of unique computing
requirements.  As it turns out, some of those requirements can be
fulfilled by technology that isn't all that different from what
regular enterprises need too.

In order to save the data from distant spacecraft, satellites and
other scientific endeavors, NASA is leveraging open source tech
(including Ubuntu Linux) and regular enterprise networking components
to meet their mission.

I had the privilege of speaking with NASA's CTO for IT Chris Kemp this
week around theOpenStack project in which NASA is participating. Kemp
told me that NASA's Nebula cloud IT environment was built for science
and research and has been optimized for low cost and massive
scalability.

He added that NASA is using KVM on Ubuntu's Lucid LTS. Surprisingly to
me, he noted that NASA isn't paying Canonical for support either at
this point -- NASA is simply using Ubuntu as a freely available
operating system (so no money for Shuttleworth and company, yet)

To read the full post go to:

http://blog.internetnews.com/skerner/2010/07/why-nasa-uses-open-source-and.=
html

=3D=3D=3D How to get RGBA support in Ubuntu =3D=3D=3D

Jack Wallen, TechRepublic reports on how Ubuntu users can get RGBA
support in Ubuntu.

RGBA stands for Red Green Blue Alpha. When applied to the computer
desktop it means a whole world more. It means full-blown transparency
with the ability to control the transparency like never before.

This feature was supposed to make it into Ubuntu 10.04, but because of
some show-stopping issues, it was pulled. It is now slated to make it
into 10.10 and, judging from how well it is working now, it will do
just that.

To read the article in full and to see how you can enable RGBA in Ubuntu go=
 to:

http://www.zdnetasia.com/how-to-get-rgba-support-in-ubuntu-62201408.htm

=3D=3D=3D Canonical, IBM plunk DB2 databases on Ubuntu =3D=3D=3D

Commercial Linux distributor Canonical has won the buzzword bingo for
the week by putting Ubuntu, cloud, and appliance in the same sentence
in announcing a partnership with IBM. It's meant to bring the latter
company's DB2 databases to the latest Ubuntu 10.04 Server Edition
Linux.

The deal has two parts. First, Canonical has taken IBM's DB2 Express-C
database, which is a lightweight relational database with PureXML
integrated XML features like the real DB2 databases, and hardened it
for Ubuntu 10.04 Server Edition and wrapped it all up in a loving
Amazon Machine Image (AMI) format so it can be deployed on Amazon's
Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) utility.

For the full story go to:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/21/ibm_canonical_db2_ubuntu/

=3D=3D In The Blogosphere =3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D 4 Reasons Every Windows User Should Have An Ubuntu Live CD =3D=3D=
=3D

Justin Pot at makeuseof.com writes the four reasons why every Windows
user ought to have an Ubuntu Live CD:

 * Recover data from unbootable systems
 * Run memtest
 * Find out about your hard drive
 * Edit partitions

For explanations of his reasons and other information see:

http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-reasons-windows-user-ubuntu-live-cd/

=3D=3D=3D THE BEST ADVERT FOR UBUNTU YOU PROBABLY NEVER SAW =3D=3D=3D

OMG!Ubuntu has a Dell/Ubuntu promotional video that no one ever saw.

For the video see:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/best-advert-for-ubuntu-you-probably.html

=3D=3D=3D Seven Ubuntu Derivatives worth Checking Out =3D=3D=3D

Jeff Hoogland writes on his blog about seven Ubuntu derivatives he
believes are worth checking out and why.

The list includes:

 * Pinguy OS
 * Linux Mint
 * Zorin
 * Lubuntu
 * Jolicloud
 * Netrunner
 * Moon OS

 To read more about Jeff's picks or comment on his findings go to:

http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2010/07/seven-ubuntu-derivatives-worth-che=
cking.html

=3D=3D=3D Will Canonical-IBM Relationship Attract Oracle to Ubuntu? =3D=3D=
=3D

Joe Panettieri, WorksWithU, discusses the expanded relationship
between Canonical and IBM. Joe writes - The latest move involves a
virtual appliance, comprising IBM=92s DB2 Express-C software running on
the Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud. At first glance the Canonical-IBM
relationship is a nice win for Ubuntu. But perhaps there=92s a deeper
story angle here=85 involving Canonical=92s continued pursuit of Oracle on
Ubuntu. Here=92s the speculation.

IBM=92s DB2 has a solid reputation in the database market. DB2 gained
fame on IBM mainframes before carving out a niche for itself on Unix,
Linux and Windows servers. But ultimately, DB2 trails Oracle and
Microsoft=92s SQL Server in the Linux and Windows server markets,
respectively.

To read the article in full go to:

http://www.workswithu.com/2010/07/22/will-canonical-ibm-relationship-attrac=
t-oracle-to-ubuntu/

=3D=3D=3D Firewall Tools for Ubuntu Security =3D=3D=3D

Christopher Tozzi, WorksWithU explains Ubuntu Firewall tools in this articl=
e.

Tozzi notes in this artlcle - =93Does Ubuntu have a firewall, and how do
I turn it on?=94 is a popular question among new Ubuntu users.  The
answer is a bit complicated, but it=92s an understandable inquiry for
those migrating from the Windows world. WorksWithU addresses that
question below by taking a look at Ubuntu=92s firewall and some of the
tools available for managing it.

To read the article in full and to find out more about the firewall tools g=
o to:

http://www.workswithu.com/2010/07/19/firewall-tools-for-ubuntu/

=3D=3D In Other News =3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D Windows or Ubuntu? =3D=3D=3D

Dell's European site has a very simple list to compare whether you
should "Choose Ubuntu or Windows", to see the page visit the link
below:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/windows_or_ubuntu?c=
=3Duk&cs=3Dukdhs1&l=3Den&s=3Ddhs

=3D=3D=3D Linux Box To Market Ubuntu =3D=3D=3D

Canonical has now joined forces with The Linux Box, a software
consulting firm that customizes open source projects for clients
across a variety of sectors, to sell, install and support customized
Ubuntu-based solutions to organizations running Linux. For the
complete story, read more below:

http://wwj.cbslocal.com/2010/07/21/linux-box-to-market-ubuntu/

=3D=3D=3D Dell drops Ubuntu PCs from website... for now =3D=3D=3D

A search on Dell's UK website will reveal only one Latitude 2100
laptop in it's business section, apparently Dell has made an attempt
to "simplify their offerings online" and will only be selling laptop's
preloaded with Ubuntu via phone. For the complete story, read below:

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/359740/dell-drops-ubuntu-pcs-from-website-for-n=
ow

=3D=3D=3D Is Linux Too Much for One Mere Mortal to Handle? =3D=3D=3D

Katherine Noyes,LinuxInsider, asks, "Is Linux Too Much for One Mere
Mortal to Handle?"

Is it time for Linus Torvalds to share more of the responsibility for
Linux that he's been shouldering? "If Linux wants to keep up with the
competition there is much work to do, more than even a man of Linus's
skill to accomplish," argued Slashdot blogger hairyfeet. "Don't be
fooled that Linus has to scale," countered Robert Pogson. "He has to
work hard, but he is the team captain and doorman."

To read more of what Katherine had to say go to:

http://www.linuxinsider.com/rsstory/70461.html?wlc=3D1280248365

=3D=3D=3D Rackspace's Risky Open Cloud Bet =3D=3D=3D

Katherine Noyes, LinuxInsider writes, Rackspace Hosting on Monday
announced the launch of OpenStack, an open source cloud platform
designed to foster technology standards and cloud interoperability.
NASA is collaborating on the project. Rackspace is donating the code
that powers its Cloud Files and Cloud Servers public-cloud offerings
to OpenStack, while NASA will provide the technology that powers the
NASA Nebula Cloud Platform. Through joint technology development,
Rackspace and NASA plan to leverage the efforts of open source
software developers worldwide.

For more information and to read Katherine's article in full go to:

=3D=3D Featured Podcasts =3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D Ubuntu UK Podcast: The Country Fair =3D=3D=3D

Laura Cowen, Ciemon Dunville, Tony Whitmore and Alan Pope return with
episode 12 of season 3 of the Ubuntu Podcast from the UK LoCo Team!

In this week=92s show:-

 * We talk about about what we=92ve been doing including ebaying
computer equipment, using DBAN to wipe disks, posing questions on the
HomeCamp Google Group, getting a mention on HomeCamp Podcast as a
result, installing Ubuntu on a MacBookPro Laptop after @daviey helped
fix a bug in the kernel, going cold turkey on holiday.

 * We interview Jo Shields (@directhex) about his contributions to
Ubuntu and Debian, Mono, Silverlight and Chinchillas

 * In the news:-
  * Spotify preview Linux version of their music streaming app
  * Google announces AppInventor Android development app
  * Linux Mint mulling moving to Debian for upstream
  * IBM moves to Firefox as default browser

 * We mention some upcoming events:-
  * ORGCon =96 24th July, London
  * Geeknic =96 8th August, Hyde Park, London
  * SFD =96 18th September, All around the world!

 * We discuss promotion of Ubuntu at non-technical events

 * We mention some Ubuntu related news in the
Gerald/bit-about-Ubuntu/ecosphere:-
  * Evan puts the call our for an Ubuntu Stack Exchange site
  * The Free Culture Showcase rolls on
  * Maverick Meerkat shaping up
  * Alfresco Certified for use on Ubuntu
  * Dell tell us Ubuntu is great for programmers

 * Finally we have your feedback.

  . OGG HIGH - http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/download/uupc_s03e12_high.ogg
  . OGG LOW  - http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/download/uupc_s03e12_low.ogg

  . MP3 HIGH - http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/download/uupc_s03e12_high.mp3
  . MP3 LOW - http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/download/uupc_s03e12_low.mp3

For more information on the Ubuntu UK Podcast go to:

http://podcast.ubuntu-uk.org/?p=3D1342

=3D=3D Weekly Ubuntu Development Team Meetings =3D=3D

 * Ubuntu Desktop Team Meeting Minutes for July 20, 2010 -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting/2010-07-20
 * Ubuntu Mobile Team Meeting Minutes from July 20, 1010 -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Meeting/2010/20100720
 * Ubuntu Server Team Meeting Minutes for July 20, 2010 -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20100720
 * Ubuntu Kernel Team Meeting Minutes for July 20, 2010 -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting/2010-07-20
 * Ubuntu Foundations Team Meeting Minutes for July 21, 2010
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam/Meetings/2010/0721
 * Ubuntu Release Team Meeting Minutes for July 23, 2010 -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam/Meeting/2010-07-21

=3D=3D Upcoming Meetings and Events =3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D Monday, July 26, 2010 =3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D Security Team Catch-up =3D=3D=3D=3D

 * Start: 17:00 UTC
 * End: 17:30 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: nothing formal, just a weekly catch-up. Weekly Ubuntu
Security Team catch-up meeting. Anyone is welcome to join if they want
to watch, contribute, etc.

=3D=3D=3D Tuesday, July 27, 2010 =3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D Ubuntu Mobile Team Meeting =3D=3D=3D=3D

 * Start: 13:00 UTC
 * End: 14:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Meeting

=3D=3D=3D=3D Technical Board Meeting =3D=3D=3D=3D

 * Start: 14:00 UTC
 * End: 15:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: None listed as of publication

=3D=3D=3D=3D Desktop Team Meeting =3D=3D=3D=3D

 * Start: 16:30 UTC
 * End: 17:30 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-desktop
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting

=3D=3D=3D=3D Kernel Team Meeting =3D=3D=3D=3D

 * Start: 17:00 UTC
 * End: 18:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

=3D=3D=3D=3D Ubuntu Mobile Team Meeting =3D=3D=3D=3D

 * Start: 17:00 UTC
 * End: 18:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

=3D=3D=3D Wednesday, July 28, 2010 =3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D Weekly Ubuntu Foundations team meeting =3D=3D=3D=3D

 * Start: 15:00 UTC
 * End: 16:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https:/wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam/Meetings/YYYY/MMDD *
Info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam

=3D=3D=3D=3D QA Team Meeting =3D=3D=3D=3D

 * Start: 17:00 UTC
 * End: 18:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-quality
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Meetings/

=3D=3D=3D=3D Jono Bacon @ Home Videocast : Various Topics and Q+A =3D=3D=3D=
=3D

 * Start: 18:00 UTC
 * End: 19:00 UTC
 * Location: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/at-home-with-jono-bacon
 * Agenda: This is a weekly videocast by the Ubuntu Community Manager,
Jono Bacon in which he discusses a range of topics and also provides a
regular weekly Q+A.

=3D=3D=3D=3D Installing a LAMP server =3D=3D=3D=3D

 * Start: 18:00 UTC
 * End: 19:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-classroom
 * Agenda: http://people.ubuntu.com/~nhandler/slides/misc/InstallingALAMPSe=
rver.pdf

=3D=3D=3D=3D Edubuntu Meeting =3D=3D=3D=3D

 * Start: 19:00 UTC
 * End: 20:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Edubuntu/Meetings/Agenda

=3D=3D=3D Thursday, July 29, 2010 =3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D Ayatana UX team meeting =3D=3D=3D=3D

 * Start: 12:00 UTC
 * End: 12:30 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: * Introductions * Review team charter * Organize first UX
activity * Brainstorm future UX activities

=3D=3D=3D Friday, July 30, 2010 =3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D Maverick Weekly Release Meeting =3D=3D=3D=3D

 * Start: 15:00 UTC
 * End: 16:30 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam/Meeting/Agenda

=3D=3D=3D Saturday, July 31, 2010 =3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D BugJam =3D=3D=3D=3D

 * Start: 20:00 UTC
 * End: 22:00 UTC
 * Location: #ubuntu-us-dc , #ubuntu-bugs
 * Agenda: Bugs & Creepie Crawlies

=3D=3D=3D Sunday, August 01, 2010 =3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D=3D None Listed =3D=3D=3D=3D

=3D=3D Updates and Security for 6.06, 8.04, 9.04, 9.10, and 10.04 =3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D Security Updates =3D=3D=3D

 * USN-963-1: FreeType vulnerabilities - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-963-=
1
 * USN-940-2: Kerberos vulnerability - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-940-2
 * USN-927-6: NSS vulnerability - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-927-6
 * USN-927-7: nspr update - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-927-7
 * USN-957-1: Firefox and Xulrunner vulnerabilities -
http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-957-1
 * USN-927-8: Thunderbird update - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-927-8
 * USN-930-4: Firefox and Xulrunner vulnerabilities -
http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-930-4
 * USN-930-5: ant, apturl, Epiphany, gluezilla,
gnome-python-extras,	liferea, mozvoikko, OpenJDK, packagekit, ubufox,
webfav, yelp update - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-930-5

=3D=3D=3D Ubuntu 6.06 Updates =3D=3D=3D

 * freetype 2.1.10-1ubuntu2.7 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/dapper-changes/2010-July/012857.html

=3D=3D=3D Ubuntu 8.04 Updates =3D=3D=3D

 * freetype 2.3.5-1ubuntu4.8.04.3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2010-July/012519.html
 * zarafa 6.30.15-21229-1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2010-July/012520.html

=3D=3D=3D Ubuntu 9.04 Updates =3D=3D=3D

 * freetype 2.3.9-4ubuntu0.2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2010-July/010115.html

=3D=3D=3D Ubuntu 9.10 Updates =3D=3D=3D

 * freetype 2.3.9-5ubuntu0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-July/012427.html

=3D=3D=3D Ubuntu 10.04 Updates =3D=3D=3D

 * samba 2:3.4.7~dfsg-1ubuntu3.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011544.html
 * software-center 2.0.7 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011545.html
 * freetype 2.3.11-1ubuntu2.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011546.html
 * deja-dup 14.2-0ubuntu0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011547.html
 * openvpn 2.1.0-1ubuntu1.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011548.html
 * python-apt 0.7.94.2ubuntu6.2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011549.html
 * sugar-flipsticks-activity 1-0ubuntu1.10.04.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011550.html
 * sugar-pollbuilder-activity 17-0ubuntu2.10.04.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011551.html
 * sugar-logviewer-activity 6-0ubuntu1.10.04.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011552.html
 * sugar-memorize-activity 26-0ubuntu1.10.04.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011553.html
 * krb5 1.8.1+dfsg-2ubuntu0.2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011554.html
 * xorg-server 2:1.7.6-2ubuntu7.3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011555.html
 * gdm 2.30.2.is.2.30.0-0ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011556.html
 * mysql-dfsg-5.1 5.1.41-3ubuntu12.4 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011557.html
 * linux-ports-meta 2.6.32.24.18 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011558.html
 * linux-meta-ec2 2.6.32.308.9 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011560.html
 * linux-meta-mvl-dove 2.6.32.207.10 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011559.html
 * ubiquity 2.2.25 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011561.html
 * gparted 0.5.1-1ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011562.html

=3D=3D UWN Translations =3D=3D

 * Note to translators and our readers please follow the link below
for the information you need.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Translations

=3D=3D UWN A Sneak Peek =3D=3D

 * Canonical Seeks Ubuntu Cloud Wins at HostingCon -
http://www.workswithu.com/2010/07/18/canonical-seeks-ubuntu-cloud-wins-at-h=
ostingcon/

 * Tax office goes Ubuntu for AUSkey Linux standard -
http://www.computerworld.com.au/article/353946/tax_office_goes_ubuntu_auske=
y_linux_standard/

=3D=3D Subscribe =3D=3D

Get your copy of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter delivered each week to
you via email at:

=3D=3D Archives and RSS Feed =3D=3D

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter

You can subscribe to the Ubuntu Weekly News via RSS at:
http://fridge.ubuntu.com/uwn/feed

=3D=3D Additional Ubuntu News =3D=3D

 http://www.ubuntu.com/news

and

 http://fridge.ubuntu.com/

=3D=3D Conclusion =3D=3D

=3D=3D Credits =3D=3D

The Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter is brought to you by:

 * Amber Graner
 * J Scott Gwin
 * Liraz Siri
 * Nathan Handler
 * Penelope Stowe
 * Daniel Calab
 * And many others

=3D=3D Glossary of Terms =3D=3D

Other acronyms can be found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/glossary

=3D=3D Ubuntu - Get Involved =3D=3D

The Ubuntu community consists of individuals and teams, working on
different aspects of the distribution, giving advice and technical
support, and helping to promote Ubuntu to a wider audience. No
contribution is too small, and anyone can help. It's your chance to
get in on all the community fun associated with developing and
promoting Ubuntu. http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate

=3D=3D Feedback =3D=3D

This document is maintained by the Ubuntu Weekly News Team. If you
have a story idea or suggestions for the Weekly Newsletter, join the
Ubuntu News Team mailing list at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-news-team and submit
it. Ideas can also be added to the wiki at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Ideas. If you'd like to
contribute to a future issue of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, please
feel free to edit the appropriate wiki page. If you have any technical
support questions, please send them to ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com.

Except where otherwise noted, content in this issue is licensed under
a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License -