Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #195

Amber Graner akgraner at ubuntu.com
Mon May 31 04:49:54 BST 2010

Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue 195 for the week May
23rd - May 29th, 2010. In this issue we cover Track the Desktop Team
and UNE in Maverick, Ubuntu Server update for Maverick Meerkat. Ubuntu
Foundations and Maverick Meerkat 10.10, Maverick Community Team Plans,
Welcome: New Ubuntu Members, Winners of the 1st Annual Ubuntu Women
World Play Announced, Ubuntu Stats, Ubuntu NC LoCo Team: Guitars to
Goat Festivals: Ubuntu For All, Ubuntu Massachusetts LoCo Team: Ubuntu
@ Intel LAN Party, Catalan LoCo Team: Ubuntu Lucid release party in
Valencia, Why Launchpad Rocks: Great Bug Tracking, Ubuntu Forums News,
Interview with Penelope Stowe, The behavioral economics of free
software, Return of the Ubuntu Server papercuts, Rethinking the Ubuntu
Developer Summit, Testing Indicator Application Menu Support, In The
Press, In The Blogosphere, Landscape 1.5 Released with new Enterprise
Features, Canonical Pushes Skype into Ubuntu Repository, Linux
Security Summit 2010, Full Circle Magazine #37, Ubuntu UK Poscast:
Three Friends, Upcoming Meetings and Events, Updates and Security and
much much more!

== In This Issue ==

 * Track the Desktop Team and UNE in Maverick
 * Ubuntu Server update for Maverick Meerkat
 * Ubuntu Foundations and Maverick Meerkat 10.10
 * Maverick Community Team Plans
 * Welcome: New Ubuntu Members
 * Winners of the 1st Annual Ubuntu Women World Play Announced
 * Ubuntu Stats
 * Ubuntu NC LoCo Team: Guitars to Goat Festivals: Ubuntu For All
 * Ubuntu Massachusetts LoCo Team: Ubuntu @ Intel LAN Party
 * Catalan LoCo Team: Ubuntu Lucid release party in Valencia
 * Why Launchpad Rocks: Great Bug Tracking
 * Ubuntu Forums News
 * Full Circle Magazine: Interview with Penelope Stowe
 * Matt Zimmerman: The behavioral economics of free software
 * Thierry Carrez: Return of the Ubuntu Server papercuts
 * Matt Zimmerman: Rethinking the Ubuntu Developer Summit
 * Jono Bacon: Testing Indicator Application Menu Support
 * In The Press
 * In The Blogosphere
 * Landscape 1.5 Released with new Enterprise Features
 * Canonical Pushes Skype into Ubuntu Repository
 * Linux Security Summit 2010
 * Full Circle Magazine #37
 * Ubuntu UK Poscast: Three Friends
 * Upcoming Meetings and Events
 * Updates and Security
 * and much much more!

== General Community News ==

=== Track the Desktop Team and UNE in Maverick ===

Rick Spencer, Canonical Desktop Team Manager, gives an overview of
what to expect for the Ubuntu Desktop in the Ubuntu 10.10 cycle.
Highlights include:

Software Center:
The software center will get many UI improvements. However, the biggie
is that we are going to figure out how enable application developers
to target the current stable release for new apps! This means new apps
that don't modify the underling Ubuntu platform and libraries will be
made available in software-center even if the app was written after
that version of Ubuntu released.

Gnome Changes:
We always decide at UDS what to take from new Gnome and how. We are
very excited about Gnome 3.0, but due to tight release schedules, we
are going to be cautious about Gnome 3.0 for Maverick. We will update
to the current platform, and we will deliver gsettings and latest
versions of apps as appropriate. As usual, we will make gnome-shell
available to users who choose to use it.

Browsers and Apps:
We're going to try for Chromium by default in UNE, though we are
sticking with Mozilla as the default in the Desktop Edition.

We are also changing to Shotwell as the default image library application.

xorg-xserver:
Interesting decision here is to hold off on promise of 3D support for
-Intel 8xx series graphics. If the -Intel driver is not providing
sufficient stability we may support those chips with Vesa, and perhaps
deliver an older Intel driver for community support for those 8xx
users who want to give it a go.

Social From the Start:
We'll work on gwibber start up time and robustness, but also work bake
more integration of social services into the desktop.

To find out more about the Desktop team and the blueprints for the
Maverick cycle go to:

http://theravingrick.blogspot.com/2010/05/track-desktop-and-une-in-maverick.html

=== Ubuntu Server update for Maverick Meerkat ===

Canonical Server Team Manager, Jos Boumans, writes about what's in
store for the next release of Ubuntu Server.

With the Maverick cycle kicking off and UDS-M just behind us, it’s
time to take a look at what’s in store for the next release of Ubuntu
Server. In broad strokes, these will be the likely topics:

 * Better integration with Upstart
 * Further improvements to Mail & Cluster stack
 * Adopt Ceph & GlusterFS, MongoDB, Drizzle & Cassandra
 * Ease deployments & load balancing in the cloud
 * For UEC: enabling kernel upgrades, virtio support, new admin UI,
easier developer deployment, cloud on a stick and lots more testing
 * Adopt & improve the following Java stacks: Tomcat, Ehcache,
Hibernate, Hadoop and Pig

Like last iteration, we’ll be reviewing and accepting blueprints
proposed for Maverick on a per milestone basis. This week, we’ll
review the work for Alpha2 and you’ll be able to track the progress on
the work item tracker.
If you’d like to contribute to the Maverick release, please join us at
our weekly IRC meetings on Tuesdays between 1800 and 1900 UTC on
#ubuntu-meeting on irc.freenode.net. We could especially use your help
in the papercuts project and bug triaging!

For more information on Ubuntu Server please go to:

http://ubuntuserver.wordpress.com/2010/05/26/ubuntu-server-update-for-maverick-meerkat/

=== Ubuntu Foundations and Maverick Meerkat 10.10 ===

Duncan McGreggor, of the Canonical Foundations Team, discusses what to
expect from the Foundations team for Maverick Meerkat, Ubuntu 10.10.

For those that don't know, The Ubuntu Foundations Team is responsible
for delivering the core Ubuntu system, which is common to the whole
Ubuntu family of products and services. For the past couple months, I
had the pleasure and honor to work with the Foundations team,
assisting in preparation for the Foundations Track at UDS and planning
for the 10.10 cycle.

Below is a brief summary of the generated scheduled work items that
were produced at UDS.

Boot Work: Several boot-related areas were identified for work during
Maverick. These include the following:

   * cd boot - by converting CD boot to use grub2 with its new
graphical goodness, we will only need to maintain use of a single
bootloader
   * continued performance improvements
   * grub2 framebuffer - the end goal being a near flicker-free
graphical boot splash experience
   * UEFI - support booting on systems that use UEFI firmware

btrfs: In Maverick, we will be adding support for btrfs. Our tasks
include such work as making ureadahead work with btrfs, adding btrfs
support to grub2, integration work, and features support.

Cleanup: Just after an LTS release is a perfect time to clean house.
We will be taking this opportunity to do so, with such work as
dropping unused/unneeded packages from the base system,
double-checking package dependencies, and investigating space-saving
measures.

Installer Redesign: The installer is getting a serious make-over.
Foundations and the Design team are working very closely together,
improving the workflow, minimizing user clicks, improving the
look-and-feel, and providing utility with increased ease of use.

Software Center: We want to get new applications into the Software
Center, ideally providing developers with a means of generating
revenue with the applications. For the former, we need to define some
good social and technical processes to ensure ongoing quality and
excellent producer/consumer experience. In conjunction with that, we
need to work on getting a billing system in place.

Upstart: Upstart is getting major work this cycle. New and improved
features include the following:

   * Manual mode
   * Resource limits
   * Dependencies
   * Better support for UIs that want to use Upstart
   * Simple skeleton to make life easier for sysadmins
   * Provide an API for services and tasks so that folks don't have to
think about the event-based model if they don't need to
   * Explore the conversion of conf files into jobs
   * Possibly extend the debug capabilities into an interactive mode
   * Improve job disabling

Foundations will also be working closely with the server team to get
their init scripts converted to Upstart. Conversely, the Kernel team
will be providing new features that will allow Foundations to fully
develop the planned Upstart features.

Miscellaneous: There is lots of other work we'll be doing, some of
which are highlighted in the following:

   * i686 Default Compile
   * Stop building the ia64 and sparc community ports
   * Multiarch Support for gcc, binutils, dpkg, and apt
   * Foundations Python improvements
   * Upgrade and install testing

To see the blueprints related to each of the these work items and to
find out more about The Foundations Team please go to:

http://oubiwann.blogspot.com/2010/05/ubuntu-foundations-and-maverick-meerkat.html

=== Jono Bacon: Maverick Community Team Plans ===

Jono Bacon, Ubuntu Community Team Manager discusses what to expect
from the Community Team during the Ubuntu 10.10 cycle.

As many of you will know, I manage the Ubuntu Community Team at
Canonical, which has horsemen Holbach, Castro and Planella in it. A
large chunk of my job is to take into account the wide range of needs
from our different stakeholders (community teams, Canonical teams,
upstreams etc) and to flesh out a strategy for my team for each cycle.
To do this I gather input and feedback from the team and these
stakeholders and put together strategy that will guide the team’s work
through the cycle. Today I want to share this strategy with you all.
Most components in this strategy includes a blueprint which itself
includes a set of actions that outlines the goals for Maverick. The
benefit of this approach is that you can subscribe to blueprints you
are interested in and keep track of those projects as we work through
them. If there are elements of these blueprints that you would like to
contribute to and get involved with, do let us know.

Below is a list of areas the Ubuntu Community Team will be focusing on
during the Ubuntu 10.10 cycle:

 * Ayatana
 * Daily Builds
 * Developer Growth
 * Patch Review
 * Upstreams
 * Best Practice
 * Translations
 * Software Delivery
 * Infrastructure Improvements
 * Regular Cycle Activities

As you can see the Community Team will have a lot to keep them busy.
To read the article in full, find out how you can get involved as well
as see the blueprints for each of these areas go to:

http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/05/28/maverick-community-team-plans/

=== Welcome: New Ubuntu  Members ===

Welcoming all new Ubuntu members - Congratulations!

Roman Azarenko

 * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BasicXP

Known as BasicXP, Roman Azarenko contributues to translation, Q&A, bug
tracking and is part of Moscow LoCo Team.
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-news-team/2010-May/001072.html

Manoj Iyer

 * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ManojIyer
 * https://launchpad.net/~manjo

Manoj has been an Ubuntu user since Warty.  He's been working on the
Ubuntu kernel for a few years now and is responsible for the new
hardware testing tools released over the last year. Outside of his
work on the kernel, he's
involved in the Texas LoCo team.

David Tomaschik

 * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Matir
 * https://launchpad.net/~matir

David has been very active in Georgia both as an organizer of Atlanta
LinuxFest (and its UbuCon) and now as the Georgia LoCo Team leader.
He's also been working with BugSquad both as a triager and in a
developer capacity writing patches.  When he's not doing those, he's
converting new users.

Pete Graner

 * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PeteGraner
 * https://launchpad.net/~pgraner

Pete's been working on Ubuntu since Hardy and managing the kernel team
since the start of the Intrepid release cycle and by all accounts done
a great job of it.  When he's not busy traveling for work or traveling
to speak at
LinuxFests around the US, he spends some time with the North Carolina LoCo.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-news-team/2010-May/001075.html

For more information on Ubuntu Membership please go to:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership

=== Winners of the 1st Annual Ubuntu Women World Play Announced ===

Jono Bacon announced the Winners of the 1st Annual Ubuntu Women World
Play Day Competition via his UStreamTV cast on May 28th, 2010.

The Community pick and winner of the Terra A20 Ubuntu Netbook is Photo
#25 Orla O'Donohue.

Canonical CEO Jane Silber's pick and winner of the Dell Netbook is
Photo #20 Jordan McCarthy.

The name drawn by Jono Bacon, Ubuntu Community Manager, and winner of
the Canonical-sponsored Ubuntu SWAG and ZaReason USB Necklace is Photo
#18 - Erika Hamilton.

All winners listed above will also receive a complimentary
subscription, of their choice, to either Linux Pro or Ubuntu User
magazine.

If you haven't had a chance to look at all the photos submitted please do.

CONGRATULATIONS to Orla O'Donohue, Jordan McCarthy, Erika Hamilton!

For more information on the Ubuntu Women World Play, sponsors, and
winners go to:

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/2046

 * Open (76831) -4377 over last week
 * Critical (30) +2 over last week
 * Unconfirmed (36553) +3 over last week

As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started,
please see:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

=== Translation Stats Lucid ===

 1. English (United Kingdom) (710) -0 over last week
 2. Spanish (10601) -83 over last week
 3. Brazilian Portuguese (35681) -129 over last week
 4. French (39486) -245 over last week
 5. German (54716) -142 over last week

Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx", see more at:

https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/

=== Ubuntu Brainstorm Top 5 this week ===

 * Users don't know which application they need -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/24921/
 * Ubuntu Control Center - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/24934/
 * Ubuntu Software Center doesn't remove file configuration -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/24963/
 * Automatically select the user in GDM if there's only one -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/24977/
 * Error messages in non-English languages -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/24974/

Ubuntu Brainstorm is a community site geared toward letting you add
your ideas for Ubuntu. You can submit your own idea, or vote for or
against another idea. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

== LoCo News ==

=== Ubuntu NC LoCo Team: Guitars to Goat Festivals: Ubuntu For All ===

Amber Graner, of the North Carolina LoCo team, as well as Pete Graner
and Jeremy Fooshee, Ubuntu Kernel Team members, attended the 1st
Annual American Dairy Goat Festival, held in Spindale, on May 22,
2010.  There were between 1000 and 1500 people who reportedly visited
the Festival between 9am and 7pm last Saturday.  Amber notes that
there were some users of Ubuntu who live in the area.  She also states
that she talked to local businesses and individuals about migrating to
Ubuntu.

To Read more about Guitars and Goat Festivals go to:

http://akgraner.com/?p=471

=== Ubuntu Massachusetts LoCo Team: Ubuntu @ Intel LAN Party ===

Martin Owens of the Massachusetts LoCo Team describes his
participation in this yearly event where some local Ubuntu advocates
go and attempt to convince local hard core gamers to try and have a
dual boot of Ubuntu and see what progress is being made on gaming in
the platform.

It was a very positive event with a great number of people exclaiming
their pain at not being able to run their most cherished games on
Ubuntu. Almost everyone knew about Ubuntu and a great number of them
loved it… if it wasn’t for some of the pain you have to go through to
make it work.

That’s where getting the word out about playonlinux and getdeb…
programs and sites that can really make a difference to the average PC
gamer trying out Ubuntu.

To see the pictures from the event and to learn more about Martin
Owens and the Massachusetts LoCo Team go to:

http://doctormo.org/2010/05/24/ubuntu-intel-lan-party/

=== Catalan LoCo Team: Ubuntu Lucid release party in Valencia ===

David Planella blogs about the Catalan LoCo Teams's release party .

Last weekend the Catalan LoCo team reunited again to celebrate yet
another unforgettable Ubuntu release party in València, at the
emblematic Octubre Culture Centre in the heart of the city. There were
two days packed with activities, presentations, conferences,
unconferences, installs, excellent food and even better company. In
summary, good fun for everyone

As most of the LoCo team members come from different parts of the
Catalonia region, they were traveling on Friday to be fresh for the
big day on Saturday. Be it with car, train or motorbike, everyone had
arrived by the evening and some of us met for a nice  dinner and
enjoyed the warm Valencian night.

To read the full post,find out more about this two day event and see
all the pictures go to:

http://davidplanella.wordpress.com/2010/05/26/ubuntu-lucid-release-party-in-valencia/

=== Launchpad News ===

=== Why Launchpad Rocks: Great Bug Tracking ===

Jono Bacon continues his "Why Launchpad Rocks" series.  In this
installment Jono talks about Launchpad's Bug Tracking features.

Jono notes, "The general consensus seems to be that everyone thinks
that all bug trackers suck. A strong view, but one not entirely
without merit given the fact that a vast majority of bug trackers do
indeed suck. In the past I have mainly used Trac, SourceForge, Mantis
and Bugzilla, and I have to say that I find Launchpad best suited to
my needs and more importantly, most usable by my users who I expect to
file a bug when something goes belly up.

I just want to zip through some of the reasons why I find bug tracking
in Launchpad a breeze and well suited to all of my applications."

Jono breaks those reasons into the following areas:

 * Simplicity
 * Bug Linking
 * Fixes
 * Extensibility

To read the more about the Bug Tracking features Launchpad offers please go to:

http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/05/24/why-launchpad-rocks-great-bug-tracking/

== Ubuntu Forums News ==

=== Tutorial of the Month ===

June 2010 - AppArmor

What a subject... We'll step out of the T&T section this month to
visit the Security Discussions area.
bodhi.zazen (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=89054) spends a lot
of time in this section, educating and providing support.

apparmor (Application Armor) does what its name suggests, it helps
protecting the system if an application gets compromised. apparmor
works with specific application profiles that regulate and define the
applications access in addition to the usual system permissions (which
apparmor can only restrict).

By default, Ubuntu comes with apparmor profiles for CUPS, evince,
dhclient3, Firefox (which is not enabled) and the guest session.

The first thread to read is Introduction to AppArmor (1) which is
closed for posting.
Two other threads are open for discussion: Share your AppArmor
Profiles (2) and AppArmor Support Thread (3).

Enjoy the readings, test it out and report back in the threads!

 1. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1008906
 2. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1008911
 3. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1049698

=== Ubuntu Forums Staff Selection ===

The process had never been formally documented so far.

For several years, integrating new Staff people has been a rather easy
process : current Staff would suggest new names, the FC (in particular
ubuntu-geek (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1) and matthew
(http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=17635)) would work on a list and
selected people would get invited to join.

With the strong and steady expansion of our community, the process
needed a better definition so that other FC members could handle it
too. We will continue to ask the current Staff for suggestions, it has
worked really well so far.

We have been adding new Staff roughly before every new Ubuntu release,
before a jump in user number, so that people have time to adjust and
learn the tools and habits. Two volunteering FC members will be
delegated to handle the process.

Four main steps take place :

 * A post is created in the Staff area asking for suggestions
 * Two FC members compile a list of names from the suggestions
 * They present the list to the FC to vote on
 * They approach the new Staff by PM and ask them if they would like to join

After they accept, new Staff forums permissions are adjusted to place
them in the UF Staff group and grant them access to the appropriate
IRC channels.

Once a year, the delegated FC members will track Staff who are MIA.

bodhi.zazen (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=89054) and bapoumba
(http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=171805) have volunteered and
been designed by the FC to take the lead on this project. Matthew will
mentor them as he had been taking care of the process with UG so far.

== The Planet ==

=== Full Circle Magazine: Interview with Penelope Stowe ===

Penelope Stowe, was interviewed by Isabell Long, for the Ubuntu Women
Series, in Issue 37 of Full Circle Magazine.  In this interview
Penelope talks about how she got involved with the Ubuntu Community.
Penelope noted that a friend encouraged her to get involved in the
community.  Penelope says, "I love the Ubuntu community. It’s one of
the friendliest communities I know of any type, and I do think the
community is the strongest part of the operating system." Penelope
also talks about the various roles she plays within the community,
those roles include reviving the Accessibility Team, member of the
Ubuntu User Days Team, as well as an active member in the Ubuntu Women
Project. Isabell notes that in Penelope's short time as an active
community member she has done a lot, and when asked if there was
something else she would like to do Penelope states, "I definitely
want to get involved with documentation...I’d also like to learn how
to bug triage and help out the bug squad...try to learn to program."
In this interview she also talks about things she is interested in
outside of Ubuntu and FOSS.

To read more the full interview and more about Penelope go to:

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/2045

=== Matt Zimmerman: The behavioral economics of free software ===

Why do we choose to use and promote free software? We can say free
software is of a higher quality, but comparing different software
'apples to apples' can be challenging. We can also say that there is a
greater sense of community involved with free software and its use,
and that developers appreciate the freedom to adapt the software to
specific needs. This author poses that we look at our reasons for
prefering free software, and not take these preferences at face value.
The author also poses these questions for our own thoughts, and asks
for any information on studies that have looked into these topics.
"Does using free software make us happier? Do we believe in free
software because we have a great experience using it, or because we
feel good about having used it? Why do we want other people to use
free software, is it only because we want them to share our
preference, or because we will benefit ourselves, or do we believe
they will appreciate it for their own reasons?"

To read article in full and learn more about "The behavioral economics
of free software" go to:

http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2010/05/25/the-behavioral-economics-of-free-software/

=== Thierry Carrez: Return of the Ubuntu Server papercuts ===

Papercuts are back, and now the process is started before 'feature
freeze'. This effort will take place during the first three
development iterations. ALSO, small new features or behavior changes
are accepted as well. To nominate, follow this process:

 1. If the papercut isn’t already filed as an Ubuntu bug in Launchpad,
file a bug against the affected Ubuntu package.
 2. Look up the bug you want to nominate as a Server papercut, then
click on “Also affects project”.
 3. Click “Choose another project” and type in “server-papercuts”,
click “Continue”.
 4. Click on “Add to Bug report”.

The goal is to have 16 candidates for the next Ubuntu Server Meeting,
Tuesday June 1st, 1800 UTC in the #ubuntu-meeting IRC channel on
Freenode.

To find out more about Ubuntu Server Papercuts and how you can get
involved go to:

http://fnords.wordpress.com/2010/05/25/return-of-the-ubuntu-server-papercuts/

=== Matt Zimmerman: Rethinking the Ubuntu Developer Summit ===

The purpose of UDS has always been to help Ubuntu developers explore
plans for the subsequent release. In rethinking this basic purpose,
several ideas have been proposed to help better facilitate this goal.
We would like to concentrate on projects that CAN be completed in the
upcoming cycle, and postpone unrealistic projects to future
blueprints. Getting similar groups of people together to 'attack'
similar projects, helping to switch context less often could be
helpful in fighting fatigue. Organizing cross-team participation,
rather than dividing teams into tracks might help circumvent
compatibility issues down the road. Also, building in opportunities to
tackle larger problems in a longer duration of time.

To read more this article in full and join the discussion go to:

http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2010/05/27/rethinking-the-ubuntu-developer-summit/

=== Jono Bacon: Testing Indicator Application Menu Support ===

In this post, Jono Bacon discusses how you can help test the Indicator
Application Menu Support. Jono states, "In the Ubuntu 10.10 cycle we
have committed to implementing application menus in the Ubuntu Netbook
Edition release of Ubuntu...I personally think this is going to be a
tremendously valuable feature and continues to optimize Ubuntu for
screen real-estate."

Jono notes, "For the majority of applications that use standard menu
widgets, applications should just work out of the box. We are though
keen to test as many applications as possible to ensure they work and
identify problem spots. Like the last cycle, this new code has been
released very early for testing and improvements, and we are keen to
have as many folks test, file bugs and where possible file patches to
fixes."

Jono 's article gives you all the links to make it simple and easy to
get involved. He also points out,  "Importantly, you don’t have to be
running Ubuntu Netbook Edition to test – you can use the normal Ubuntu
desktop edition!. Packages are already available in a PPA for Lucid
and we have listed all of the apps that could do with some testing. We
have also includes instructions for how to file bugs for apps that
have issues; this will make it easier to produce fixes. One important
note: up until alpha 2 we are deliberately leaving the menus switched
on in both the application and in the panel – this provides a great
way to compare and contrast the normal app menu with the panel menu to
ensure they are the same."

To find out more about helping test the Indicator Application Menu
Support and read the article in full go to:

http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/05/28/testing-indicator-application-menu-support/

== In The Press ==

=== Ubuntu 10.04 LTS: Lucid Lynx Benchmarked And Reviewed ===

Yet another 10.04 review, this one pits the previous 8.04 LTS against
10.04 and the progress that Canonical has achieved shines through.

Adam Overa at Tom's Hardware writes a very detailed review of Ubuntu
10.04. He specifically compares it against 8.04, Hardy Heron, which
was the Ubuntu release that converted him to full-time Linux use and
to Ubuntu, specifically. Adam gives information on the methodology
used to test both the 64-bit and 32-bit desktops.

The first thing covered is the Ubuntu Software Center, where Adam sees
some improvements to the Ubuntu Software Center in Karmic (which he
very much did not like), however, feels like there are still things
that he misses from Add/Remove Programs. Next he moves onto covering
the new changes to Ubuntu, including the panel indicators, F-Spot
instead of The GIMP, split panes in Nautilus, Gwibber, PiTiVi, and the
Ubuntu One Music store. He continues to talk about the look and feel
with the new Ambiance and Radiance themes, re-branding of Ubuntu, and
the window controls on the left.

After this information about the changes in Lucid, Adam gives an
overview to what he experienced and saw with the various test systems.
He tested 64-bit & 32-bit on desktops. He also tested using a notebook
and even installed Ubuntu Netbook Edition on a netbook. Finally, he
tested running the system off a USB stick.