Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #203

Amber Graner akgraner at ubuntu.com
Wed Jul 28 03:57:42 BST 2010

Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue 203 for the week July
18th - July 24th, 2010.

== In This Issue ==

 * Last call for Maverick server papercuts
 * Ubuntu Maverick open for translation
 * Native readers: extending the Beta
 * MOTU Interview: Maia Kozheva (sikon / LucidFox)
 * An Interview With Silver Fox
 * Ubuntu Developer Week Re-Cap
 * Ubuntu Stats
 * Approval and Re Approval Process
 * LoCo Council July Meeting minutes
 * Delivering the Ubuntu Colombia Contact
 * Stepping Down from Ubuntu Bangladesh
 * Dun Laoghaire July Geeknic
 * Ubuntu-fr at Les Vieilles Charrues
 * Launchpad News
 * Ubuntu at Non-Technical Events
 * More cleansweep.
 * Discussion request: multilingual posts on Planet Ubuntu or not?
 * The Official Ubuntu Book – 5th Edition
 * This week in design – 23 July 2010
 * Getting Started with Ubuntu 10.04 is now available in Greek!
 * How to Ask Smart Questions by Martin Owens
 * Ubuntu One iphone client, source code released
 * Ubuntu Translation Teams Healthcheck
 * An invitation to join Ubuntu’s Q&A group on Shapado.com
 * Akademy 30 second interviews, Eben Moglen, Helsinki, Prague
 * "Blog about what you're doing"
 * Bugs vs Blueprints
 * In The Press
 * In The Blogosphere
 * Windows or Ubuntu?
 * Linux Box To Market Ubuntu
 * Dell drops Ubuntu PCs from website... for now
 * Is Linux Too Much for One Mere Mortal to Handle?
 * Rackspace's Risky Open Cloud Bet
 * Featured Podcasts
 * Weekly Ubuntu Development Team Meetings
 * Upcoming Meetings and Events
 * Updates and Security
 * and much much more!

== General Community News ==

=== Last call for Maverick server papercuts ===

Thierry Carrez sends out this reminder:

The last of our Server papercuts iterations will soon start, so it is
now your last chance to nominate that annoyance that hindered your
Server experience ! Nominations for the beta iteration will end on
August 1st. Remember the steps:
 1. If nobody filed a bug about it yet, just file one.
 2. Look up the bug you want to nominate as a Server papercut, then
click on “Also affects project”
 3. Click “Choose another project” and type in “server-papercuts”,
click “Continue”
 4. Click on “Add to Bug report”

Remember the guidelines:
 * Bug affects a server package
 * Bug has an obvious and easy fix
 * Bug makes the life of the sysadmin more miserable
 * Bug is not a new feature (since we’ll be after Feature Freeze at that point)

As of today we only have 3 candidates for 12 open slots. So there is
plenty of room for yours ! Thanks for your help in making the Ubuntu
Server experience more (fit and) polished.

For more information on how you can help with papercuts go to:

http://fnords.wordpress.com/2010/07/23/last-call-papercuts/

=== Ubuntu Maverick open for translation ===

David Planella sends out the call for translations to begin on
Maverick in this post:

I’m pleased to announce that Ubuntu Maverick is now open for translation:

Remember that according to the release schedule translatable messages
might be subject to change until the User Interface Freeze on the 26th
of August.

During the Maverick development cycle, language packs containing the
translations are generally released twice per week. This way you can
see and test the results of the translations more frequently.

That’s it, happy translating!

For more information on how you can get involved with translating
Maverick got to:

http://davidplanella.wordpress.com/2010/07/23/ubuntu-maverick-open-for-translation/

=== Native readers: extending the Beta ===

It is time to extend the Ubuntu Font Beta Testing.
We need to make sure that the Ubuntu font is being fully exercised
beyond the English language and I do not want to rely on accidental
incidents but rather explicitly add people from the translations teams
for various languages (and alphabets).
Today we have started adding language teams so, if your team gets an
email from us, we need your help!

For more information on how you can help go to:

http://design.canonical.com/?p=6001

=== MOTU Interview: Maia Kozheva (sikon / LucidFox) ===

Take a moment to learn more about MOTU Maia Kozheva aka Lucidfox in
this interview by Daniel Holbach.  Maia answers the following
questions and more:

How long have you used Linux and what was your first distro?
How long have you been using Ubuntu?
When did you get involved with the MOTU team and how?
What helped you learn packaging and how Ubuntu teams work?

To find out the answers to these questions and more go to:

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/2088

=== An Interview With Silver Fox ===

Joe Barker interviews Silver Fox.  Here is what Joe had to say in his
introduction - So, it is without further ado that I introduce my next
victim guest. Silver Fox is generally a quiet member of the Ubuntu
Beginners Team, but does good work within said team which goes –
largely – unnoticed. I thought it would be appropriate to try and
bring these to light for others to see.

Joe asks the following questions:

 * Tell as much as you’re willing about your “real life” like name,
age, gender, location, family, religion, profession, education,
hobbies, etc.
 * When and how did you become interested in computers? in Linux? in Ubuntu?
 * When did you become involved in the forums (or the Ubuntu
community)? What’s your role there?
 * Are you an Ubuntu member? If so, how do you contribute? If not, do
you plan on becoming one?

To find out how Silver Fox answers these questions and more go to:

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/2087

=== Ubuntu Developer Week Re-Cap ===

Did you miss Ubuntu Developer Week? No Problem below is a link and
description to the sessions.

 * Day 1
  * 16:00 UTC – 18:00 UTC:
[[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/GetStarted|Getting Started With
Development]] (dholbach): This two-hour session was one of the most
action-packed sessions I ever ran. So many great questions, so much
fun and so much topics covered. Thanks a lot everybody. We managed to
set up an initial Ubuntu development environment, talk about Ubuntu
development processes and Ubuntu in the bigger picture. In the second
part we had a look at a couple of packages that fail to build and
succeeded in fixing a few of them. Awesome!
  * 18:00 UTC – 19:00 UTC:
[[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/Widgets|Widgetcraft]] (apachelogger): Next
up was Harald Sitter who did a great job explaining how to write KDE
widgets by using the Plasmoid infrastructure. Lots of real-life
examples, lots of excitement and slides for your reading pleasure.
  * 19:00 UTC – 20:00 UTC: [[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/Desktop|Desktop
Team Overview]] (seb128): Sébastien Bacher did a great presentation of
what’s going on in the Desktop Team and how you can help out. Maybe we
should have an additional “Ask Séb” session, next time. Heaps and
heaps of interested Desktop people kept him quite busy.
  * 20:00 UTC – 21:00 UTC:
[[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/UpstartJobs|Authoring Upstart Jobs]]
(slangasek): Last on day 1 was Steve Langasek who dived deep into
Upstart’s features and how to make best use of them. I foresee lots
and lots of good use made of it.
 * Day 2
  * 16:00 UTC: [[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/PackageNinja|Packaging Like A
Ninja]] (shadeslayer): Rohan Garg brought a lot of fun to UDW by
teaching us all how things work in the Kubuntu team. If I counted
correctly he even handed out three orange ninja belts.
  * 17:00 UTC: «I Don’t Know Anything About Translations» (dpm): By
the looks of it, David Planella managed to resolve the problem of not
knowing very very well. He gave an excellent overview over
translations and how to work with them and answered what felt like a
thousand questions.
  * 18:00 UTC: [[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/QtQuickQml|Developing With Qt
Quick and QML]] (Riddell): As a seasoned KDE-hacker Jonathan Riddell
knows what’s going on in the KDE and Qt world and which technologies
get you good results quickly. He gave great insight into making your
KDE apps rock very easily.
  * 19:00 UTC: [[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/WorkDebian|How To Work With
Debian]] (Laney and Rhonda): Wow, what a great session. I’m
particularly excited to see people from Debian and Ubuntu collaborate
like that and see that much interest in getting the most out of our
work for both projects. Great session, lots of info, lots of good
questions.
  * 20:00 UTC: [[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/Validation|Setting Up A Small
Validation Dashboard]] (zyga): The last session of the day was held by
Zygmunt Krynicki who presented an interesting way to see how low-level
changes affect the whole system and measure performance. The questions
indicate that there’s a deep interest in solving this problem across
the board.
 * Day 3
  * 16:00 UTC: [[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/CleansweepReview|Operation
Cleansweep And Reviewing Patches]] (nigelb and bobbo): Nigel Babu is
spearheading an initiative which has the goal that there’s no
unreviewed patches left by the end of it. To achieve that we set up a
process that’s very easy to follow and involves QA people, Ubuntu
developers, Upstream and Debian developers. Nigel and David Futcher
did a fantastic job talking about the effort. Make sure you join in on
the fun!
  * 17:00 UTC: [[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/Upstreaming|Forwarding Bugs
And Patches Upstream]] (pedro_ and nigelb): Pedro Villavicencio
Garrido is one of the best people to talk about evaluating bug reports
and patches and being in touch with loads and loads of upstream
developers about them and thus forwarding valuable information to
software authors. His session was very informative, up to the point
and it seems like there’s going to be even more people hanging out in
#ubuntu-bugs soon.
  * 18:00 UTC: [[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/DailyBuilds|Daily Builds And
You]] (jcastro and dholbach): Jorge Castro and I talked about Daily
Builds afterwards. This is a very exciting new technology in Launchpad
that is currently in Beta stage. If you want up-to-date software you
care about out there and users using and testing it, read the log. I
think Jorge and I were sounding something between a comedy duo and an
old couple every now and then – I hope you forgive us.
  * 19:00 UTC: [[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/AppIndicators|Make Your
Applications Shine With Application Indicators]] (tedg): Ted Gould has
been working on indicators in the panel for quite a while now and it
was great to have him around to explain what’s going on and how to
make best use of the technology. If your heart beats for Desktop
stuff, you wrote a Desktop application or just want to know what’s
going on and how things are evolving, make sure you check out the log.
  * 20:00 UTC: [[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/KernelTriage|Kernel Triage]]
(JFo): Imagine there’s millions of users using all kinds of different
hardware. Imagine there’s failure reports or some kind of hardware not
working exactly. How do you deal with the feedback of those users?
This is exactly that Jeremy Foshee talked about. As you can imagine
there’s a lot of lessons the Kernel team learned already and lots of
experience that went into the session. If you like all things hardware
and want to give Jeremy a hand, be sure to check out the log.
 * Day 4
  * 16:00 UTC: [[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/QuicklyApp|Create An
Application For Ubuntu With Quickly]] (didrocks): What a great and
action-packed session it was! Didier Roche explained how to create
apps without a fuss and how Quickly makes clever decisions for you, so
you have to worry less. Seems like he was very happy about the session
himself, the audience even forgave him to try to make French the
official language of Ubuntu Development.
  * 17:00 UTC: [[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/ImproveUbuntu|Improving
Ubuntu In An Evening]] (vish): Vishnoo did a great job explaining the
Hundred Papercuts project and what it is about. Participation was
great and I can already see lots of people getting involved in the
project. It indeed is a great way to improve Ubuntu in an evening.
  * 18:00 UTC: [[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/ServerPapercuts|Contribute To
Ubuntu Server, Do Server Papercuts]] (ttx): Thierry Carrez was up next
and his session about Server Papercuts was a great follow up to the
Hundred Papercuts session. If you’re interested in server stuff, like
making things work again, read up the session log. He explained quite
well who to talk to, how to get in touch with the same and make Ubuntu
servers rock even harder.
  * 19:00 UTC: [[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/Xubuntu|How To Help With
Xubuntu]] (charlie-tca): As Xubuntu project lead, Charlie Kravetz has
a lot of insight into Xubuntu and XFCE. Heaps of good questions, lots
of interest in Xubuntu made the session fly by quickly. If you’re
interested, get in touch with Charlie!
  * 20:00 UTC: [[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/MergeProposals|Merge
Proposals: Life On The Sunny Side]] (beuno/mhall119): Unfortunately
Martin Albisetti got ill and could not give the session, but luckily
Michael Hall jumped in to run a Q&A session on merge proposals. We
might repeat the session in a few weeks. Stay tuned.
 * Day 5
  * 16:00 – 18:00 UTC: [[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/Django|Django And
You]] (mhall119): First up was Michael Hall, who had booked a double
session about Django goodness and brings in quite a bit of experience
on the topic. He did a great job explaining the concepts behind
Django, how to set up a basic project, lots of tips and tricks and
what I liked best: he plugged the LoCo Directory a couple of times.
Hope you’ll get interested and see how great Django is and how much
fun projects like the Loco Directory are.
  * 18:00 – 19:00 UTC:
[[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/AdoptUpstrean|Adopt-An-Upstream]] (jcastro):
Jorge was the best possible person to talk about one of the most
awesome projects we have in the Ubuntu landscape: the essence of
Adopt-An-Upstream is to be a tie between the Ubuntu project and others
projects: you take on real responsibility by sharing information, by
helping others making informed decisions and improve Ubuntu in a very
real sense. Great session!
  * 19:00 – 20:00 UTC: [[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/Edubuntu|How To Help
With Edubuntu]] (highvoltage): I’m glad we had Jonathan Carther with
us who talked about Edubuntu, how it’s set up, how the team works and
what the plans for the future are. Great!
  * 20:00 – 21:00 UTC: [[MeetingLogs/devweek1007/QA|Me, myself and
QA]] (warp10, gaspa): Last sesion of the day and of whole UDW was
about how to help with Quality Assurance in Ubuntu: basically making
packages rock harder. Easy tasks, how to find them, what various terms
like NBS mean, was all part of the session. Thanks a lot to the Ubuntu
Italian Mafia Famiglia (no that name is not my invention  ).

For more information on Ubuntu Developer Week go to:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDeveloperWeek

 * Open (77847) +252 over last week
 * Critical (31) +2 over last week
 * Unconfirmed (37115) +158 over last week

As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started,
please see  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

=== Translation Stats Lucid ===

 1. English (United Kingdom) (0) +/-0 over last week
 2. Spanish (8917) -98 over last week
 3. Brazilian Portuguese (34603) -37 over last week
 4. French (38230) +/-0 over last week
 5. German (54272) -21 over last week

Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx", see more
at: https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/

=== Ubuntu Brainstorm Top 5 this week ===

 * Is difficult to see Ubuntu One sync progress -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/25417/
 * There is still no user-friendly and solid way to backup your system
and MBR - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/25425/
 * USB Modem installation - using a Wizard -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/25406/
 * Intelligent input for mail addresses -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/25423/
 * Outbound traditional marketing Ubuntu the right way -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/25424/

Ubuntu Brainstorm is a community site geared toward letting you add
your ideas for Ubuntu. You can submit your own idea, or vote for or
against another idea. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

== LoCo News ==

=== Approval and Re Approval Process ===

Laura Czajkowski of the Ubuntu LoCo Council writes about the approval
and re approval process in this blog post.

I’ve had some time recently to review a lot of wiki applications for
LoCos.  It is truly amazing the amount of work some teams do and is a
great source of ideas to try for other teams.
With that said, I’ve also seen some wiki pages which are less than
clear on what the team is doing which makes it very hard to judge. So
I thought I’d put down some best practices to make it clearer what is
expected.
So firstly let’s recap:

The LoCo Council has been tasked with identifying Approved LoCo teams
which were approved over 2 years ago and thus are due for re-approval.
The criteria for re approval is the same as for approval which is
outlined on the getting approved instructions and the LoCo Council
guidelines can be found at the team approval guidelines.

It should be noted that from the day your LoCo is approved, you should
continue to document all events and history of your LoCo for this re
approval process to make it clear and visible to all.

Now it is safe to say some teams do not continue documenting their
work so when it comes to re approval time it’s panic stations, all
hands on deck!  Things you can do to help elevate this are the
following
 * Use the LoCo Directory to log all of your events it will make it
easier to write up about them and possibly in the future link to past
events
 * MONTHLY Reports folks, only a handful of teams use them and there
are more teams there that SHOULD be writing monthly reports, list your
IRC meeting, any real life meet up, projects people are working on in
relation to Ubuntu.
 * Take photos of your events it’ll help in the long run, assign
someone at each event to take photos and even create a gallery in one
place to link to them

When it comes to the creation of the Application be it for Approval or
ReApproval it’s the same thing just NAMED DIFFERENTLY.  You just need
to document it. LOTS OF DETAILS PLEASE! We’d rather have too much then
not enough details as the meeting is short and we have a lot of teams
to get through.

To read more about the LoCo approval and re approval process go to:

http://www.lczajkowski.com/?p=793

=== LoCo Council July Meeting minutes ===

The LoCo Council meets on the 3rd Tuesday of the month to re approval
and approve LoCo Teams.   The meeting is open to everyone, not just
teams that are going through the process.  We encourage others to come
and learn how the process is done but to also ask questions.
This months meeting summary:
 * LoCo Team {re}approvals
  * Ubuntu-RO – Nobody present for application – Council taking it to
mailing list instead
  * Ubuntu-US-MA – Not re-approved
  * Ubuntu-IT – Re-approved
  * Ubuntu-FR - Re-approved
  * Ubuntu-GR – Re-approved
  * Ubuntu-EG – Abstained
  * Ubuntu-NL – Abstained
 * For those LoCo teams that were not re-approved, or for which the
LoCo council could not reach agreement, the council agreed to work
with the LoCo teams to help them get re-approved.

For more information go to:

http://www.lczajkowski.com/?p=790

=== Delivering the Ubuntu Colombia Contact ===

Last Monday (July 19th) at the Ubuntu Colombia Council meeting, i've
passed the role of Ubuntu Colombia LoCo Team Contact and Administrator
to Andres Mujica. Since February 21st 2008, I was put in charge of
Ubuntu Colombia by Fabian Rodríguez when our Community presented
itself as Official Comunity at the LoCo Council.

By now, I believe that i fullfilled a complete cycle on my Contact
duty for the Ubuntu Colombia community. A lot of goals, plans,
proyects and personal objectives were accomplished hand to hand with
the Community and now is time for new members of Ubuntu Colombia take
the shot for the Contact role, new members with much more time,
willingness and dedication to accomplish a lot more things that i
could have done until now.

I'm not going away from the Team, I'll be working harder than ever as
an active member, supporting all the projects I'm working on within
Ubuntu Colombia.

I'm wishing the best of the lucks to Andrés on his new role and a lot
of success to become in order to fulfill our LoCo Team goals.

It's important for me to let you all now about our Reapproval wiki at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ColombianTeam/TeamReApproval2010, in this wiki
all the activities and grow that our community has experienced are
shown. And thanks to Colombian community for their support on this.

For more information and to read the full post by Hollman Enciso go to:

http://www.hollmanenciso.com/en/content/delivering-the-ubuntu-colombia-contact

=== Stepping Down from Ubuntu Bangladesh ===

Ubuntu Bangladesh was formed in 28th April 2006, more than 4 years ago
with the vision to create a solid platform for Ubuntu users and
contributors in Bangladesh. We’re the official local community team in
Bangladesh, recognised by Ubuntu Community Council and Ubuntu’s
sponsor Canonical Ltd. It’s been a long journey, and I’m really glad
that with all of your help, support, and contributions we’ve been able
to achieve most of our major goals.

I’ve been working as the team leader of Ubuntu Bangladesh throughout
these years, and I’ve decided to step down and hand over the team
leadership to two of our very active volunteers, Shahriar Tariq and
Shabab Mustafa. They have made a tremendous contribution for our team,
for Ubuntu, and for Linux as a whole, and I strongly believe that
Ubuntu Bangladesh will prosper even more under their new leadership
and vision.

I’ll still be around, will help to administer our Launchpad page,
mailing list, IRC channel, and our site.

Thanks to each and everyone who’ve helped me throughout the years,
thank you for your never-ending support! Long live Linux, long live
Ubuntu!

For more information go to:

http://russelljohn.net/journal/2010/07/stepping-down-from-ubuntu-bangladesh/

=== Dun Laoghaire July Geeknic ===

Laura Czajkowski writes about another successful Geeknic.

It went ahead even if it was a miserable wet and windy… Summers day!
At least the rain held for the time we all met up and had some lovely
food from the farmers market.  Well worth going to if you are in the
area.  1st Sunday of the month there is a farmers market in people’s
park  in Dun Laoghaire.

Thanks to those who came along and braved the cold it was nice to meet
some new folks as well and exchange some ideas and thoughts on Ubuntu
and Open Souce and what people were doing.  Big thanks to Jeffrey to
organised the Geeknic also!

To find more about the Geeknic as well as see photos from the event go to:

http://www.lczajkowski.com/?p=800

=== Ubuntu-fr at Les Vieilles Charrues ===

Les Vieilles Charrues had their festival on the 15th, 16th, 17th and
18th of July this year, and invited us to hold a webcafe on Ubuntu. It
was a pleasure to take over from olive who had organised everything
but couldn't attend this event.  We took over in the webcafe with the
valued help of kinouchou, Lust, Snip and spineaker, and with the two
Eric from Infothema, Didier from Linux MAO, and Julia, Sonny and Kevin
from Mozilla. Olive was with us all the time online to monitor the
computers and guide us.

This webcafe for the festival-goers was the space where they can check
their mails, their facebook account, twit or do everything they want
on internet. We haven't put any restrictions, only no saving of the
history and the passwords on firefox. For the same reasons, we haven't
configured Ubuntu to let people try it. We only made a custom start
page for Firefox.

To find out more about Ubuntu-fr at Les Vieilles Charrues and to read
the post in full go to:

http://blog.yoboy.fr/post/2010/07/Ubuntu-fr-at-Les-Vieilles-Charrues

== Launchpad News ==

=== Testing new designs on Launchpad users ===

Matthew Revell writes about testing new designs on Launchpad users.

Recently, I’ve been working with Charline, from Canonical’s design
team, to talk to Launchpad’s users about how Launchpad fits into their
work and what they think of new features we’re planning.

You may have seen my requests for participants on identi.ca and Twitter
In the past, someone working on a new, or improved, feature would
mock-up some ideas and post them to ourdevelopment mailing list. A
good discussion would result but often, not always, people who use
Launchpad, rather than develop it, wouldn’t see the implementation
until it was available in their browsers.

Sometimes, this meant that minor, avoidable, mistakes were made. Other
times it meant that somewhat eccentric workflows made it into
production and dampened the impact of what was, otherwise, a cool new
feature.

To read more about these efforts go to:

http://blog.launchpad.net/?p=1638

== The Planet ==

=== Alan Pope: Ubuntu at Non-Technical Events ===

We seem to be quite good at turning up to technical events such as LUG
meetings, technical conferences and other self-organised events and
telling everyone how great Ubuntu is. However we seem to spend a lot
of time preaching to the converted, speaking to people who already run
Ubuntu or some other distro, rather than ‘converting’ people who have
little or no exposure to Ubuntu.

Amber Graner recently wrote about her experience evangelising and
advocating at a local Goat Festival. She was also interviewed about
this on the Full Circle Magazine podcast recently.

When I heard about this it made me think that it’s something we should
think about. Not specifically Goat festivals, but non-technical
events. I wanted to canvass the group to see what events people might
want to have a presence at. I’m not (at this point) asking for
volunteers, but just ideas of events where people go and we might be
able to have a stand where we could talk to people about Ubuntu and
how they might want to use it.

To find out more information and how you can present Ubuntu at
Non-Technical events go to:

http://popey.com/blog/?p=1114

=== Jorge Castro: More cleansweep. ===

Here’s the status for this week, as we continue to grind through
patches from contributors. 2 patches that need more work, 12 forwaded
upstream, 2 to Debian, and one patch accepted (and one rejected) by an
upstream.
Wanna help? https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OperationCleansweep

 * Total bugs with patches: 2263 (0)
 * Reviewed patches: 347 (+16)

 * Bugs with ‘patch-needswork’: 88 (+2)
 * Bugs with ‘patch-forwarded-upstream’: 145 (+12)
 * Bugs with ‘patch-forwarded-debian’: 43 (+2)
 * Bugs with ‘indicator-application’: 44 (0)
 * Bugs with ‘patch-accepted-upstream’: 48 (+1)
 * Bugs with ‘patch-accepted-debian’: 13 (0)
 * Bugs with ‘patch-rejected-upstream’: 16 (+1)
 * Bugs with ‘patch-rejected-debian’: 1 (0)

 http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/831814104

=== Sense Hofstede: Discussion request: multilingual posts on Planet
Ubuntu or not? ===

To keep in spirit with the content that has appeared on Planet Ubuntu
the last few days I would like to start a discussion about
multilingual content on Planet Ubuntu.

I started to wonder about the use and desirableness of non-English
posts on Planet Ubuntu after a commentfrom LoCo Council member Laura
Czajkowski on my blog post Realise native English speakers are
privileged. She said: We have many ubuntu members who do not post on
planet.ubuntu.com as they feel it has to be in English which is
unfortunate as I’d love to read them – we all can use a web
translator.

That is something I personally agree with. I see Planet Ubuntu as a
window into the general Ubuntu community, not necessarily just the
English speaking part of it. After all, when you want
language-specific content your LoCo can always provide their own
Planet.

To read the full post go to:

http://sensehofstede.nl/?p=573

=== Joe Barker: The Official Ubuntu Book – 5th Edition ===

I received my copy of the new Ubuntu book on Monday. Happy times! I
have Matthew Helmke to thank for the copy of the book as well. I guess
at this point, I should point out that I was asked to review said
book.