Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #202

Amber Graner akgraner at ubuntu.com
Mon Jul 19 04:41:39 BST 2010

Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue 202 for the week July
11th - July 17th, 2010.

== In This Issue ==

 * Ubuntu Free Culture Showcase calls all artists to contribute to
next version of Ubuntu
 * Operation Cleansweep: We Need You!
 * Ubuntu Accessibility Team Personas Survey
 * ISO testers for the Hall of Fame
 * Ubuntu User Days Wrap-Up
 * Ubuntu Stats
 * Rocking The LoCo Council
 * Ubuntu: a computer operating system built around community
 * Ubuntu Chicago Bike Tour
 * The Early-Summer LoCo BBQ at hutchnate's house was a tasty success!
 * Ubuntu Honduras LoCo Team Wakes up
 * Launchpad News
 * Ahmed Kamal Joins the Horsemen
 * Reviewers Team and Operation Cleansweep
 * Ubuntu Manual Project core philosophy
 * Man Your Browser
 * Android SDK on Ubuntu
 * KDE SC 4.5 RC 2 Packages Available
 * KOffice 2.2.1 is out
 * Updating the Ubuntu Packaging Guide
 * Building a Ubuntu website on Stackexchange
 * In The Press
 * In The Blogosphere
 * Mozilla Ramps Up Vulnerability Reward Program
 * Firefox joins Microsoft in uncool kids class - Chrome hangs out, looks good
 * Linux to eclipse Microsoft's 'all-in' tablet enthusiasm
 * TurnKey Appliance Development Contest: An Open Source Summer Bonanza!
 * The GIMP 2.6.10 Ubuntu Karmic And Lucid PPA
 * Google App Inventor: Make Your Own Android Apps
 * Spotify music streaming service comes to Linux
 * The End of Shot of JAQ
 * Introducing HTML5: a book review
 * Keeping things simple: the Linux kernel
 * sudo apt-get install sl is Fun!
 * Featured Podcasts
 * Weekly Ubuntu Development Team Meetings
 * Upcoming Meetings & Events
 * Updates and Security
 * and much, much more!

== General Community News ==

=== Ubuntu Free Culture Showcase calls all artists to contribute to
next version of Ubuntu ===

Free Culture Showcase to celebrate 'Art in the Open' bringing
contributors' work to millions.

The showcase will offer artists, photographers, and musicians of every
background the opportunity to have their work ship with Ubuntu 10.10,
the popular Linux-based operating system available in October 2010.

'Art in the Open' will expose winning contributors' work to millions
of users worldwide and is a demonstration of the energy, quality and
power of the open culture.

"We are committed to the idea of 'Art in the Open' at Ubuntu," said
Ivanka Majic, head of design at Canonical. "The work we do in an open
environment delivers the same quality as closed ones and we believe
will be even more successful through tapping into this wide world of
volunteer contribution."

The Free Culture Showcase looks to reach beyond what is commonly
perceived as the Open Source community. Artists and creatives who may
never have been part of an open project before are encouraged to
contribute. Winning work will be featured with the contributors' name
and all work contributed will be covered by a Creative Commons
license.

"We want graphic designers, musicians, photographers and creatives of
every stripe to feel they have a place in the Ubuntu project,"
continued Majic. "Very often without being employed by a vendor, they
cannot meaningfully contribute to the tools they use or the OS they
consume. With Ubuntu and Open source, we hope they realise that it is
different and that difference is important."

Ubuntu Free Culture Showcase calls all artists to contribute to next
version of Ubuntu

To read more about this Showcase as well as the details on how you can
contribute go to:

http://www.canonical.com/news/ubuntu-free-culture-showcase

=== Operation Cleansweep: We Need You! ===

One of the most critical components in any flourishing community is to
ensure contributions that are offered in good faith are fairly
reviewed in a timely manner. Unfortunately, the success of Ubuntu has
resulted in more contributions than we have had time to review, and
Nigel Babu is leading the way to encourage the community to review
these outstanding patches.

This is important and worthwhile work, and I am really keen to
encourage you all to get involved.

How do you get involved? Simple:

 1. Read the Operation cleansweep wiki page to get an idea of what we
are trying to do.
 2. Read our Reviewers Guide that explains the process of how you
review a patch.
 3. Pick a patch from this list to review.
 4. Review it and provide feedback.
 5. Join #ubuntu-reviewers to ask for help.

To do this you don’t have to be programmer, you don’t have to have a
degree in rocket science, and you don’t have to like metal. The only
requirement is that you have the desire to make Ubuntu better, and if
you are reading this, you clearly have that.

Thanks in advance to everyone who helps!

http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/07/14/operation-cleansweep-we-need-you/

=== Ubuntu Accessibility Team Personas Survey ===

One of the goals identified for the Ubuntu Accessibility Team for this
cycle is to create personas that can be used by designers and
developers to get them thinking about accessibility. Personas are
fictional people created to give designers and developers a face and
personality to consider when working. Personas just make it a little
more personal rather than just concepts.

To help researching all the various accessibility needs of users,
we’ve created a survey about how people with disabilities of all types
use their computers. Now we need as many people as possible to fill it
out. We really want to get feedback from as many different types of
disabilities so we can figure out what best suits users as far as
needs and where the major problems may lie. We don’t just want to hear
from Ubuntu users, but everyone.

The survey can be found at two places:

 1. On a wordpress blog with text boxes. This can be filled out
completely anonymously (no e-mail required or anything):
http://access.libertus.co.uk
 2. On a wiki page that can be e-mailed to the e-mail address
provided. This version also has some more background information on
what we’re doing:https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Accessibility/Personas/Survey

If anyone has any questions or anything, please feel free to leave
them here or you can e-mail ubuntu.accessibility.survey at gmail.com if
you don’t want to ask publicly.

Also, please let me know if you have an access problem with both
versions of the survey as I really don’t want anyone barred from
taking it due to not being able to access it. We were able to test
with a screen reader, but I know we don’t have things like variable
text sizes or the ability to play with the colours of the sites.
We’re hoping to gather the responses we need by August 8th.

http://pendulumtech.wordpress.com/2010/07/14/ubuntu-accessibility-team-personas-survey/

=== ISO testers for the Hall of Fame ===

Ara Pulido, of the Canonical QA team announces ISO Testers Hall of Fame.

I am glad to announce that, starting in the Maverick Alpha 3 ISO
testing cycle, the activity of the ISO tracker will be reflected in
the Ubuntu Hall Of Fame.

Actually, and as a beta of the new feature, you can now check the ISO
Alpha 2 heroes at the Ubuntu Hall Of Fame under “Top ISO Testers”. If
you are wondering why you are not there and you helped during Maverick
Alpha 2 ISO testing, I will try to explain why.
The ISO tracker and Launchpad are not connected, but we need to use
the Launchpad ID in the Hall Of Fame to get some other user
information. Fortunately there is a Launchpad ID field in your ISO
tracker user profile.

So, if you want your awesomeness to be reflected in the Hall Of Fame,
please, update your profile in the ISO tracker and fill your correct
Launchpad ID.

For more information on this go to :

http://ubuntutesting.wordpress.com/2010/07/15/iso-testers-for-the-hall-of-fame/

=== Ubuntu User Days Wrap-Up ===

The second Ubuntu User Days event was held on  July 10-11, 2010 and
organizers note that it was a wonderful success!

The Classroom Team also extends thanks to all the valued instructors
as well as those who attended and took time out of their weekend to
participate in all areas of Ubuntu User Days.

If you missed Ubuntu User Days or if you just want more information go to:

http://ubuntuclassroom.wordpress.com/2010/07/13/ubuntu-user-days-wrap-up/

 * Open (77595) +34 over last week
 * Critical (29) -2 over last week
 * Unconfirmed (36957) +68 over last week

As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started,
please see  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

=== Translation Stats Lucid ===

 1. English (United Kingdom) (0) +/-0 over last week
 2. Spanish (9015) +2 over last week
 3. Brazilian Portuguese (34640) -62 over last week
 4. French (38230) +29 over last week
 5. German (54293) -16 over last week

Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx", see more
at: https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/

== LoCo News ==

=== Rocking The LoCo Council ===

I just wanted to take a moment to highlight the incredible work going
on with the Ubuntu LoCo Council who are working hard to govern the
LoCo community and ensure everything is running smoothly.

The LoCo Council has two key IRC events in each month that everyone is
welcome to attend:

LoCo Council monthly IRC meeting – on the 3rd Tuesday of the month in
#ubuntu-meeting. See the agenda

LoCo Health Check – 1st Tuesday of the month in #ubuntu-locoteams – an
informal meeting where anyone can add a topic to discuss and get some
council feedback – see this page for more details.

…and of course, the LoCo council are always available in #ubuntu-locoteams.

Finally, when tweeting about Ubuntu LoCo teams, don’t forget to use
the #locoteams tag.

Keep up the great work, folks!

http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/07/15/rocking-the-loco-council/

=== Ubuntu: a computer operating system built around community ===

Terry Lavender of the Vancouver Observer, discusses Ubuntu and the
community that supports and surrounds it in this article.  Lavender
discusses a little about the history of both Linux and Ubuntu in his
introduction.

Further into this article Lavender talks to Randall Ross and others of
the Vancouver LoCo Team.  This article covers many aspects of the
Ubuntu community through the eyes of some very active community
members.  One of the things Ross points out in this article is -
“Ubuntu includes one profoundly important component that no other
operating system has: Community. The Ubuntu community is diverse,
lively, and fun to be around. The Ubuntu community is real and local.”

Want to find out more about what Ross and others had to say about
Ubuntu and the community go to:

http://www.vancouverobserver.com/blogs/megabytes/2010/07/10/ubuntu-computer-operating-system-built-around-community

=== Ubuntu Chicago Bike Tour ===

In this post by Richard Johnson of the Ubuntu Chicago Team, he invites
other team members to join them in its first ever group ride.
Initiatives such as a group bike ride, organized by LoCo teams are
just one more way to bring teams together by combining hobbies and
sharing Ubuntu.

To find out more about this event that was held on July 18th, 2010 or
if you are in the Chicago area and want to get involved in this LoCo
team go to:

http://blog.nixternal.com/2010.07.13/ubuntu-chicago-bike-ride/

=== The Early-Summer LoCo BBQ at hutchnate's house was a tasty success! ===

This past Saturday, July 10th the Arizona LoCo team held a BBQ and a
LoCo members home.  This was a loosely organized and last minute event
but it was noted in the article that everyone had a very tasty good
time. Which is just another example of how LoCo meetups don't have to
be big production organization to be successful.

To read the article in full and learn more about the Arizona LoCo Team go to:

http://azloco.com/node/139

=== Ubuntu Honduras LoCo Team Wakes up ===

Ubuntu Honduras leaves its hibernation time!

As it is customary in the community that these months of May and June
we always put in standby mode. But it is time that the community wakes
up and get ready for the battle:)

We did a Pizza Bash. They were three hours in which we were talking,
eating, telling jokes, among other things. We have set a short and
long term goal. Ubuntu Honduras Loco Team will start to gives classes
about the use of the Ubuntu OS in a program name IHER (Honduran
Institute Education by Radio) which is thought to give a beginner
level course, which it will 8 hours. In this way people will be having
the knowledge about using the Ubuntu OS. The idea is that if this
workshop is all right, opens through to the next level and so on.

Then within two to three weeks we will be informing!

For more information go to:

http://blog.diegoturcios.net16.net/?p=581

== Launchpad News ==

=== Launchpad EPIC 2010 photo ===

The Launchpad and Bazaar teams have been in Prague this week. The
noted they would be posting more about what they have gotten done at a
later daye but did manage to take a picture.

To see the photo go to:
http://blog.launchpad.net/general/launchpad-epic-2010-photo

=== Showing first/last 40 comments in Launchpad ===

Bryce Harrington posts a change he made Launchpad concerning
displaying the bug page.

When a launchpad bug gets a lot of comments, displaying the bug page
can take a long time. To mitigate this, Launchpad only shows the first
80 comments in such a case. But often what you actually want to see is
the *recent* activity. So to get that you have to go through an
additional page load, which is annoying.

To fix this, I've landed a change to bugs.edge.launchpad.net today
which displays the first 40 and last 40 comments. As an example, see
bug 541511.

I changed the comment/activity display algorithm a little bit in order
to do this, which as a side effect improves the performance a very
slight amount (about 1-2% faster for highly commented bugs).

To learn more about Bryce and these changes go to:

http://www2.bryceharrington.org:8080/drupal6/content/showing-firstlast-40-comments-launchpad-0

=== Three tips for faster launchpadlib api clients ===

Martin Pool posts, three tips from Leonard’s lightning talk in Prague
about writing faster Launchpadlib API clients:

 1. Use the latest launchpadlib. It gets faster from one release to
the next. (The versions in the current Ubuntu release should be fine;
otherwise run from the branch or the latest tarball.)
 2. Profile:
     import httplib2
     httplib2.debuglevel = 1
 will show each http request and response, so that you can see what’s
taking time.
 3. Fetch objects only once:
Don’t do this:
    if bug.person is not None:
        print bug.person.name
instead
    p = bug.person
    if p is not None:
        print p.name
In the first case, the client may fetch the Person object twice. (We
may fix this in future.)

To see the original posting go to:

http://blog.launchpad.net/api/three-tips-for-faster-launchpadlib-api-clients

== The Planet ==

=== Jono Bacon: Ahmed Kamal Joins the Horsemen ===

Jono introduces Ahmed Kamal to the Ubuntu Community.  Ahmed joins
Jono's team at Canonical to build the Ubuntu Cloud Community.

Jono says, "Although Ahmed’s formal background is Electronics and
Communications engineering, he was always a Linux geek at heart. He
touched his first Linux CD in 1998 with Red Hat 5.x and has been
hooked ever since."

To find out more about Ahmed go to:

http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/07/15/ahmed-kamal-joins-the-horsemen/

=== Daniel Holbach: Reviewers Team and Operation Cleansweep ===

Probably due to the soccer championship or the hot weather in some
countries we had a slow week last week. Here’s the quick report:

 * Total bugs with patches: 2263 (-1)
 *  Reviewed patches: 331 (0)

 *  Bugs with 'patch-needswork': 86 (+1)
 *  Bugs with 'patch-forwarded-upstream': 133 (+6)
 *  Bugs with 'patch-forwarded-debian': 41 (+1)
 *  Bugs with 'indicator-application': 44 (-1)
 *  Bugs with 'patch-accepted-upstream': 47 (0)
 *  Bugs with 'patch-accepted-debian': 13 (0)
 *  Bugs with 'patch-rejected-upstream': 15 (+1)
 *  Bugs with 'patch-rejected-debian': 1 (0)

To find out how you can help and to see the graph of the progress go to:

http://daniel.holba.ch/blog/?p=726

=== Benjamin Humphrey: Ubuntu Manual Project core philosophy ===

Benjamin Humphrey from the Ubuntu Manual Project talks about the core
philosphy for the Ubuntu Manual Project.  Over the course of several
weeks, Kevin, Ilya, Thorsten and Benjamin developed ten principles
that the project stands for. This list will be displayed on their new
website which is being finished off to fit within the new Ubuntu
project guidelines and branding.  These values include "success of our
users is the ultimate goal", "research, do not guess", and "satisfy
our target audience’s diverse needs" to name a few.

http://humphreybc.wordpress.com/2010/07/12/ubuntu-manual-project-core-philosophy/

=== Dustin Kirkland: Man Your Browser ===

As he's spending more time on smaller laptops and netbooks, Dustin has
been falling in love with Chromium web browser.  After taking a little
time to learn the ins and outs, he's replaced all of the functionality
he needed from Firefox and more.  He feels the most useful feature is
Chromium's custom "search engines". He has a video that demonstrates
adding a custom manpages.ubuntu.com to Chromium's search engines, such
that you can type something like "man kvm" in your browser's URL bar,
and go straight to the HTML rendering of the kvm manpage!

http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2010/07/man-your-browser.html

=== Mohamad Faizul Zulkifli: Android SDK on Ubuntu ===

If you are a person who writes Andriod apps you can now see what those
apps will look like on your desktop with this Android Emulator
application for Ubuntu.  For more information and to see a screenshoot
of this application in action go to:

http://9w2pju.blogspot.com/2010/07/android-sdk-on-ubuntu.html

=== Kubuntu: KDE SC 4.5 RC 2 Packages Available ===

Packages for the release of the KDE Software Compilation 4.5 RC 2 are
available.  This is release candidate software so expect bugs. Bugs in
packaging should be reported to kubuntu-ppa on Launchpad and bugs in
the software to KDE.  Users of 10.04 LTS can install it from the
Kubuntu Beta PPA.  Special thanks to lex and shadeslayer for packaging
this release.

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/kde-sc-45-rc-2

=== Kubuntu: KOffice 2.2.1 is out ===

KOffice 2.2.1 is out. Users of Kubuntu 10.04 can install it from
lucid-backport, just enable "Unsupported Updates" in your software
source settings and install "koffice".

To find out more go to:

http://www.kubuntu.org/news/koffice-2.2.1

=== Jim Campbell: Updating the Ubuntu Packaging Guide ===

Jim Campbell calls out for input for holes in the in the Ubuntu
Packaging Guide. There are all kinds of topics that need to be
written, updated, or improved.  He invites everyone to give inputs via
a Google Docs Survey. He has provided some direction and is welcome to
other ideas.  If you’re interested in writing on a particular topic,
please be sure to note that in the survey comments (and include your
name and email address!) and he'll get in touch with you.

http://j1m.net/2010/07/13/updating-the-ubuntu-packaging-guide/

=== Ralph Janke: Building a Ubuntu website on Stackexchange ===

Currently a lot of fantastic people from the Ubuntu Community are
working to get an Ubuntu Q&A website a la stackoverflow created on
stack exchange. We have already breezed through the definition phase
and now need people who are committing to ask questions or answer them
in the beta phase (in particular during the private beta phase that
will last 7 days.

To find out how you can help go to:

http://blog.txwikinger.me.uk/content/building-ubuntu-website-stackexchange

== In The Press ==

=== Alfresco certified for Ubuntu  ===

Enterprise content management vendor Alfresco, has been certified to
work on the Ubuntu stack. The company's Enterprise Edition 3.3 is now
certified on Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server.

To find out more about this venture go to:

http://www.networkworld.com/news/2010/071410-alfresco-certified-for.html?hpg1=bn

=== Is Chrome OS a Threat to Ubuntu or Windows? ===

Matt Harley of IT Management looks at whether Chrome OS is a threat to
Ubuntu or Windows.  He opens his article with a very bold statement,
"Since late 2009, talk of how Google's Chrome OS is being positioned
to "take on" Microsoft Windows has been promoted by individuals who I
believe have no idea what they're talking about."

Harley goes on to say, "By Google's own admission, Chrome OS is being
designed for near exclusive use on netbook computers, due to its
minimalist nature. And as we know, netbooks make up a small piece of
the collective PC market. This clearly leaves out of desktops and
laptops, which will remain dominated by the Windows OS (near term, at
least).

This leads us to consider that Microsoft's Windows OS is not the
target for Google after all. So the next line of thought leads us to
wonder if perhaps Chrome OS is being created to take on something
closer to its own design – for instance,Ubuntu Linux?"

Harley breaks the article up into the following areas of discussion:

 * Is Chrome OS Linux or not?
 * Chrome OS isn't competing with Windows
 * Will Chrome OS become a boon to other Linux distributions?
 * Chrome OS and Android, redundant?

For more information go to:

http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3892351/Is-Chrome-OS-a-Threat-to-Ubuntu-or-Windows.htm

=== Time to consider Ubuntu for your cloud needs? ===

An article on InfoWorld compares Ubuntu's growth in the cloud market
to Red Hat Inc.'s. Canonical has gained a lot of traction since Dell's
recent decision to deliver Amazon Cloud ready Ubuntu powered servers.
To read the full article, look below:

http://www.infoworld.com/d/open-source/time-consider-ubuntu-your-cloud-needs-712

== In The Blogosphere ==

=== Plugin Support Added To Ubuntu Software Center ===

This Techie-Buzz article by Ricky Laishram discusses the new pluging
support that has been added to the Ubuntu Software Center.

The Ubuntu Software Center for Maverick just keeps getting and better.
Today a new version, Ubuntu Software Center 2.1.5, has just been
released. While it does not have much visual change to offer compared
to the earlier versions, it has some new features underneath.

The biggest and most interesting new feature is probably the
introduction of plugins support. The plugins support in the Ubuntu
Software Center is needed for the OneConf integration which will be
introduced in Maverick Meerkat.

To read more about the Plugin Support in the Ubuntu One Software Center go to:

http://techie-buzz.com/foss/plugin-support-added-to-ubuntu-software-center.html

=== Canonical Design Team: This week in design - 16th July 2010 ===

The Canonical Design Team has begun a new weekly posting entitled
"This Week in Design". They plan to cover some of the main features
and improvements of the upcoming cycle. To see what This Week in
Design has to offer, follow the link below:

http://design.canonical.com/2010/07/this-week-in-design-16th-july-2010/

=== AndroidU1 ===

Excedio shares his excitement over AndroidU1 which lets you connect to
your Ubuntu One account from an Android phone. It's still in pre-alpha
release, but he has all the information for users who want to try it
out.

http://opensourceexcedio.wordpress.com/2010/07/15/androidu1/

=== Improved Calculator App in Ubuntu  10.10 ===

Marious Nestor, Linux Editor for Softpedia, introduces readers to the
revamped calculator application that will be part of the upcoming
GNOME 3.0.0 desktop environment and Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat)
operating system. The application is called GCalctool and it's a
powerful utility that can be used to solve simple and mid-level
mathematical problems. Compared to the calculator found in the Ubuntu
10.04 (Lucid Lynx) distribution, the new version of GCalctool has a
redesigned user interface and brings support for complex arithmetics,
complex trigonometry, additional functions (Integer and Fractional
Component, Round, Floor, Ceiling and Sign) to the advanced mode,
currency conversion and many more.

To find out more information about this improved function go to:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Improved-Calculator-App-in-Ubuntu-10-10-147637.shtml

=== Unity, Ubuntu Software Center And Sound Indicator Video And
Screenshots [Ubuntu / UNE 10.10 Maverick Meerkat] ===

In this article the writer goes over the Unity and Sound Indicator
Updates and also records a video about the Ubuntu Software center.

There are screenshots of the Updates and video that demonstrates the
Software Center and the sound indicator.

To read more about these updates and to see the screenshots go to:

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/07/unity-ubuntu-software-center-and-sound.html

=== Google Nexus One Gets Ubuntu-ed ===

Bored with the same old stock version of Android on your Nexus One?
Are you one of the many other Nexus One users who would like to see a
different boot up screen on your phone, well help is here!

Geeky folks (one geeky folk, to be precise) from a rather ominously
named blog called nexus one hacks has posted a rather longish video
that can potentially help you port Ubuntu on to your highly capable
handset without bricking it. Note that in this case, Ubuntu is being
offered as a secondary boot option so that you may switch over to
Android at the next boot should anything go wrong. Of course, as it is
an OS meant for quite a different platform, you d come across a few
things that simply won t work. But then that s excusable when you
experience the pleasure of running an OS on a device that is not
supposed to run it.

Want to learn more about how to Ubuntu your Nexus one?  Go to:

http://www.techtree.com/India/News/Google_Nexus_One_Gets_Ubuntu-ed/551-112218-580.html

=== Early Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook Benchmarks ===

Michael Larabel, with Phoronix.com, gives a detailed look at some
earler benchmarks for Ubuntu 10.10 Netbooks.

Larabel says, "There is still three months left until Ubuntu 10.10
"Maverick Meerkat" will be officially released along with the Ubuntu
Netbook spin and the various other incarnations of this popular Linux
distribution, but today we have some initial netbook tests of this
next version of Ubuntu Linux. While Ubuntu 10.10 Netbook may boast a
new user-interface now that it is using the Unity Desktop, the changes
that have taken place "under the hood" have led to some performance
differences compared to Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Netbook."

To read about what hardware was used and the results from each take a look at:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_maverick_netbook&num=1

== In Other News ==

=== Mozilla Ramps Up Vulnerability Reward Program ===

Mozilla announces that it has brought its security bounty program in
line with the new economic times and has increased the reward paid to
researchers for eligible security bugs from $500 to $3,000. It has
also officially added Firefox Mobile and other Mozilla services to the
list of products covered by the program.

“For new bugs reported starting July 1st, 2010 UTC we are changing the
bounty payment to $3,000 US per eligible security bug. A lot has
changed in the 6 years since the Mozilla program was announced, and we
believe that one of the best way to keep our users safe is to make it
economically sustainable for security researchers to do the right
thing when disclosing information,” an announcement posted on the
Mozilla Security blog reads.

To find out more about this program go to:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Mozilla-Ramps-Up-Vulnerability-Reward-Program-147854.shtml

=== Firefox joins Microsoft in uncool kids class - Chrome hangs out,
looks good ===

In this article Matt Asay, Canonical COO, he takes a look at the
global browser market - who's in the lead and why it matters to
Ubuntu. Asay states, "Open...and Shut After more than a decade of
slugging it out with Microsoft for supremacy, Mozilla's Firefox now
claims 24 per cent of the global browser market, according to Net
Applications."

Asay goes on to say, "Since October 2009, Firefox has reached a
curious stasis, treading water against Internet Explorer. Microsoft’s
IE, for its part, continues its slide, but Firefox is no longer the
aggressor. Google Chrome is."

What to read more about this and why it is important to Ubuntu go to:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/16/browser_wars/
=== Linux to eclipse Microsoft's 'all-in' tablet enthusiasm ===

Gavin Clarke from The Register writes about the current state of
Tablets and similarly emerging architecture. While Microsoft has a
long history with manufacturers; ABI senior analyst Victoria Fodale
sees things differently, she is quoted as saying, "The number of
Linux-oriented initiatives recently seen in the mobile industry
indicates that Linux will be a key technology in the next generation
of netbooks, media tablets, and other mobile devices."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/07/16/linux_dominates_devices_survey/

=== TurnKey Appliance Development Contest: An Open Source Summer Bonanza! ===

Last week TurnKey Linux, an Ubuntu based open source project,
announced they'll be using donation money to sponsor an appliance
development contest.

To celebrate the occasion they'll be giving live training this week on
how to customize existing TurnKey appliances and create new ones, so
anyone willing to learn a few basic Linux skills is invited to join in
on the fun.

With the community's help TurnKey is hoping to double the appliance
library by the next release...

http://www.turnkeylinux.org/blog/contest

=== The GIMP 2.6.10 Ubuntu Karmic And Lucid PPA ===

GIMP 2.6.10 has been released. This latest stable version will be
backported to both lucid and karmic. See this article for instructions
on installing the latest GIMP from the WebUpd8 PPA.

http://www.webupd8.org/2010/07/gimp-2610-ubuntu-karmic-and-lucid-ppa.html

=== Google App Inventor: Make Your Own Android Apps ===

Check out whats new with the Android platform. Google App Inventor is
a new piece of online software that helps with the creation of Andriod
apps. “To use App Inventor you do not need to be a developer. App
Inventor requires NO programming knowledge”. The Google App Inventor
can be used on Ubuntu 8+ and any browser capable of running Java 6.
App Inventor can also be used from an Android phone.

http://www.providingnews.com/google-app-inventor-make-your-own-android-apps.html

=== Spotify music streaming service comes to Linux ===

Spotify music streaming service comes to Linux. This version is the
result of user feedback and the fact that many of the company's own
developers use Linux. While this release is still officially
unsupported, the developers say that they will "try to make sure it
keeps pace with its Mac and Windows siblings". To take advantage of
the linux version you must be a Spotify Premium subscribers to check
out the linux version.

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Spotify-music-streaming-service-comes-to-Linux-1036731.html

=== The End of Shot of JAQ ===

Sad news from the Jono Bacon blog for all those fans of the 'Shot Of
Jaq' podcast. We "are simply too busy with other things" says Jono
Bacon on why the podcast is being stopped. Shot of Jaq had around 70
twice weekly shows over a 9 month period, and received over 3000
comments. "Thanks to everyone who was so supportive of the show!"

http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/07/13/the-end-of-shot-of-jaq/

=== Introducing HTML5: a book review ===

Take a look at this in depth review of the book 'Introducing HTML 5',
by Bruce Lawson and Remy Sharp. These authors draw on the experiences
of user questions and articles at their html5doctor website. "The book
successfully and intelligently covers the new markup in HTML5" states
Stuart Langridge, the author or this book review.

http://www.kryogenix.org/days/2010/07/14/introducing-html5-a-book-review

=== Keeping things simple: the Linux kernel ===

ZDNet writes an indepth article regarding the Linux kernel. The
article covers the features and aspects of the kernel, an overall
comment on the simple beauty and design that went into the Linux
Kernel. For the full article the link is below:

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/blogs/the-open-source-revolution-10014902/keeping-things-simple-the-linux-kernel-10018027/

=== sudo apt-get install sl is Fun! ===

Tech Drive-in reports on a fun little program which will give you a
laugh every time you mistype "ls" as "sl".

http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/07/sudo-apt-get-install-sl-is-fun.html#more

== Featured Podcasts ==

=== Full Circle Podcast #10: Trawling the Internet for a Goat Festival ===

In this episode, the editors fight back. This episode we are minus one
Dave Wilkins who is away, but plus two guests. Esteemed editor of Full
Circle Magazine Mr Ronnie Tucker is our co-host… While Editor-in-Chief
of Ubuntu Weekly News Letter is our guest, Ms. Amber Graner.

News: The usual collection of Maverick news, plus Gmailwatcher,
Googlubuntu and Ubuntu on Android,
Opinion: Contributing articles to Full Circle Magazine with Ronnie Tucker
Interview: Amber Graner on Ubuntu Women, UWN and Open Source Goats…

 * MP3 podcast here:
http://fullcirclemagazine.org/podpress_trac/web/817/0/fullcirclepodcast_ep10_160710.mp3
 * OGG podcast here:
http://fullcirclemagazine.org/podpress_trac/web/817/1/fullcirclepodcast_ep10_160710.ogg

For More information on this Podcast and Full Circle Magazine go to:

http://fullcirclemagazine.org/2010/07/15/full-circle-podcast-10-trawling-the-internet-for-a-goat-festival/

=== At Home With Jono Bacon ===

This is the link to Jono Bacon's, Ubuntu Community Manager, weekly
videocast. Jono takes any and all questions from the community about
all things Ubuntu and more.

If you missed last weeks episode you can find it at:
http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/8273074

For more information about At Home with Jono Bacon go to:

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/at-home-with-jono-bacon

== Weekly Ubuntu Development Team Meetings ==

 * Ubuntu Desktop Team Meeting Minutes for July 13, 2010 -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting/2010-07-13
 * Ubuntu Mobile Team Meeting Minutes from July 13, 1010 -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Meeting/2010/20100713
 * Ubuntu Server Team Meeting Minutes for July 13, 2010 -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/Server/20100713
 * Ubuntu Kernel Team Meeting Minutes for July 13, 2010 -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting/2010-07-13
 * Ubuntu Foundations Team Meeting Minutes for July 14, 2010
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam/Meetings/2010/0714
 * Ubuntu Release Team Meeting Minutes for July 16, 2010 -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam/Meeting/2010-07-16

== Upcoming Meetings & Events ==

=== Monday, July 19, 2010 ===

==== Ubuntu-NGO IRC Meeting  ====

 * Start: 17:00 UTC
 * End: 18:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-ngo
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NGO/Meeting

==== Security Team Catch-up ====

 * Start: 17:00 UTC
 * End: 17:30 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: nothing formal, just a weekly catch-up. Weekly Ubuntu
Security Team catch-up meeting. Anyone is welcome to join if they want
to watch, contribute, etc.

=== Tuesday, July 20, 2010 ===

==== Community Council Meeting ====

 * Start: 10:00 UTC
 * End: 12:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityCouncilAgenda

==== Asia - Oceania RMB Meeting ====

 * Start: TBD
 * End: TBD
 * Location:  IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership/RegionalBoards/AsiaOceania

==== Ubuntu Mobile Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 13:00 UTC
 * End: 14:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Meeting

==== Developer Membership Board ====

 * Start: 14:00 UTC
 * End: 15:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: None listed as of publication

==== Desktop Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 16:30 UTC
 * End: 17:30 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-desktop
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting

==== Kernel Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 17:00 UTC
 * End: 18:00 UTC
 * Location:  IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: None listed as of publication

==== LoCo Council Meeting ====

 * Start: 20:00 UTC
 * End: 21:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: None listed as of publication

=== Wednesday, July 21, 2010 ===

==== Weekly Ubuntu Foundations team meeting ====

 * Start: 15:00 UTC
 * End: 16:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda:  https:/wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam/Meetings/YYYY/MMDD
* Info: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam

==== Jono Bacon @ Home Videocast : Various Topics and Q+A ====

 * Start: 18:00 UTC
 * End: 19:00 UTC
 * Location: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/at-home-with-jono-bacon
 * Agenda: This is a weekly videocast by the Ubuntu Community Manager,
Jono Bacon in which he discusses a range of topics and also provides a
regular weekly Q+A.

==== Edubuntu Meeting ====

 * Start: 19:00 UTC
 * End: 20:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Edubuntu/Meetings/Agenda

==== QA Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 19:00 UTC
 * End: 20:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-quality
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Meetings/

=== Thursday, July 22, 2010 ===

==== Ayatana UX team meeting ====

 * Start: 12:00 UTC
 * End: 12:30 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: * Introductions * Review team charter * Organize first UX
activity * Brainstorm future UX activities

==== Ubuntu Women Project Meeting ====

 * Start: 10:00 UTC
 * End: 11:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-women-project
 * Agenda: http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Meetings/April2010/Agenda

==== Americas Regional Membership Board Meeting ====
 * Start: 23:59 UTC
 * End: 1:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership/RegionalBoards/Americas

=== Friday, July 23, 2010 ===

==== Maverick Weekly Release Meeting ====

 * Start: 15:00 UTC
 * End: 16:30 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam/Meeting/Agenda

=== Saturday, July 24, 2010 ===

==== BugJam ====

 * Start: 20:00 UTC
 * End: 22:00 UTC
 * Location: Taste of India
 * Agenda:  IRC channel #ubuntu-us-dc Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-bugs

==== DC Loco IRC meeting ====

 * Start: 10:00 UTC
 * End: 11:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-us-dc
 * Agenda: None listed as of publication

=== Sunday, July 25, 2010 ===

==== Ubuntu IRC Council Meeting ====

 * Start: 18:00 UTC
 * End: 19:00 UTC
 * Location: Ubuntu Gaming Team Meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrcTeam/IrcCouncil/MeetingAgenda

==== Ubuntu Gaming Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 19:00 UTC
 * End: 21:00 UTC
 * Location: Ubuntu Gaming Team Meeting
 * Agenda: None Listed as of publication

== Updates and Security for 6.06, 8.04, 9.04, 9.10, and 10.04 ==

=== Security Updates ===

 * USN-961-1: Ghostscript vulnerabilities - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-961-1
 * USN-962-1: VTE vulnerability - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-962-1

=== Ubuntu 6.06 Updates ===

 * None Reported

=== Ubuntu 8.04 Updates ===

 * mediawiki 1:1.11.2-2ubuntu0.7 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2010-July/012515.html
 * ghostscript 8.61.dfsg.1-1ubuntu3.3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2010-July/012516.html
 * libxml 1:1.8.17-14.1ubuntu0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2010-July/012517.html
 * devil 1.6.7-5.1ubuntu0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2010-July/012518.html

=== Ubuntu 9.04 Updates ===

 * opensc 0.11.4-5ubuntu1.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2010-July/010110.html
 * mediawiki 1:1.13.3-1ubuntu2.4 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2010-July/010111.html
 * ghostscript 8.64.dfsg.1-0ubuntu8.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2010-July/010112.html
 * landscape-client 1.5.2.1-0ubuntu0.9.04.0 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2010-July/010113.html
 * vte 1:0.20.0-0ubuntu2.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2010-July/010114.html

=== Ubuntu 9.10 Updates ===

 * libmediawiki-perl 1.13-1.1ubuntu0.9.10.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-July/012422.html
 * mediawiki 1:1.15.0-1.1ubuntu0.4 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-July/012423.html
 * ghostscript 8.70.dfsg.1-0ubuntu3.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-July/012424.html
 * landscape-client 1.5.2.1-0ubuntu0.9.10.0 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-July/012425.html
 * vte 1:0.22.2-0ubuntu2.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-July/012426.html

=== Ubuntu 10.04 Updates ===

 * libnotify 0.4.5-1ubuntu4 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011518.html
 * libusb 2:0.1.12-14ubuntu0.2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011519.html
 * acpi-support 0.136.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011520.html
 * dell-recovery 0.58.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011521.html
 * firmware-addon-dell 2.1.0-0ubuntu2.10.04.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011522.html
 * libmediawiki-perl 1.13-1.1ubuntu0.10.04.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011523.html
 * openoffice.org-dictionaries 1:3.2.0~rc2-3ubuntu3.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011524.html
 * ureadahead 0.100.0-4.1.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011525.html
 * vm-builder 0.12.4-0ubuntu0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011526.html
 * ghostscript 8.71.dfsg.1-0ubuntu5.2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011527.html
 * sane-backends 1.0.21-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011528.html
 * gnupg2 2.0.14-1ubuntu1.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011529.html
 * openjdk-6 6b18-1.8-4ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011530.html
 * ureadahead 0.100.0-4.1.2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011531.html
 * landscape-client 1.5.2.1-0ubuntu0.10.04.0 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011532.html
 * vte 1:0.23.5-0ubuntu1.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011533.html
 * gallery2 2.3-1ubuntu3.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011534.html
 * software-center 2.0.6 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011535.html
 * ganeti 2.0.5-1ubuntu0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011536.html
 * apt 0.7.25.3ubuntu9.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011537.html
 * otrs2 2.4.7-1ubuntu0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011538.html
 * ibus-anthy 1.2.0.20100115-1ubuntu0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011539.html
 * openjdk-6 6b18-1.8-4ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011540.html
 * aegir-provision 0.3-2ubuntu0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011541.html
 * asterisk 1:1.6.2.5-0ubuntu1.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011542.html
 * openjdk-6 6b18-1.8-4ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lucid-changes/2010-July/011543.html

== UWN Translations ==

 * Note to translators and our readers please follow the link below
for the information you need.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Translations

== UWN A Sneak Peek ==

 * Time To Surf Without Windows? Is Ubuntu The Answer? -
http://billmullins.wordpress.com/2010/07/11/time-to-surf-without-windows-is-ubuntu-the-answer/
 * Pinguy OS – Another Ubuntu Fork -
http://techie-buzz.com/foss/pinguy-os-another-ubuntu-fork.html
 * REMnux, an Ubuntu Fork to Reverse Engineer Malware -
http://techie-buzz.com/foss/remnux-ubuntu-distro-reverse-engineer-malware.html
 * Travels With Teo: Linux Netbook Hits the Road -
 * 5 things to look forward to in Ubuntu 10.10 -
http://techthrob.com/2010/07/14/5-things-to-look-forward-to-in-ubuntu-10-10/

== Subscribe ==

Get your copy of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter delivered each week to
you via email at:

== Archives and RSS Feed ==

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter

You can subscribe to the Ubuntu Weekly News via RSS at:
http://fridge.ubuntu.com/uwn/feed

== Additional Ubuntu News ==

 http://www.ubuntu.com/news

and

 http://fridge.ubuntu.com/

== Conclusion ==

== Credits ==

The Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter is brought to you by:

 * Amber Graner
 * Liraz Siri
 * J Scott Gwin
 * Penelope Stowe
 * Nigel Babu
 * Mike Holstein
 * Daniel Calab
 * And many others

== Glossary of Terms ==

Other acronyms can be found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/glossary

== Ubuntu - Get Involved ==

The Ubuntu community consists of individuals and teams, working on
different aspects of the distribution, giving advice and technical
support, and helping to promote Ubuntu to a wider audience. No
contribution is too small, and anyone can help. It's your chance to
get in on all the community fun associated with developing and
promoting Ubuntu. http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate

== Feedback ==

This document is maintained by the Ubuntu Weekly News Team. If you
have a story idea or suggestions for the Weekly Newsletter, join the
Ubuntu News Team mailing list at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-news-team and submit
it. Ideas can also be added to the wiki at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Ideas. If you'd like to
contribute to a future issue of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, please
feel free to edit the appropriate wiki page. If you have any technical
support questions, please send them to ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com.

Except where otherwise noted, content in this issue is licensed under
a Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License -