Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #177

John Crawford johnc4510 at ubuntu.com
Sun Jan 24 23:02:14 GMT 2010

Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue #177 for the week January
17th - January 23th, 2010. In this issue we cover: Developer Membership
Board election results, Ubuntu User Days A Big Success, Bugs and hugs,
Ubuntu Developer Week: January 25th – January 29th, 2010, Canonical
Blog: ISV support for Ubuntu Server Edition widens, January 20th
America's Membership Review Board Meeting, Ubuntu LoCo Re-Approval
Process, LoCo Stories: the Ubuntu Honduras School Tour, Launchpad 10.1
roll-out 09.00-11.30 27th January 2010, Anonymous Access to the
Launchpad Web Service API, Introducing Ubuntu Electronics Remix 9.10,
and much, much more!

== UWN Translations ==

* Note to translators and our readers: We are trying a new way of
linking to our translations pages. Please follow the link below for the
information you need.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Translations

== In This Issue ==

* Developer Membership Board election results
* Ubuntu User Days A Big Success
* Bugs and hugs
* Ubuntu Developer Week: January 25th – January 29th, 2010
* Canonical Blog: ISV support for Ubuntu Server Edition widens
* January 20th America's Membership Review Board Meeting
* Ubuntu Stats
* Ubuntu LoCo Re-Approval Process
* LoCo Stories: the Ubuntu Honduras School Tour
* Launchpad 10.1 roll-out 09.00-11.30 27th January 2010
* Anonymous Access to the Launchpad Web Service API
* The Planet
* In the Press & Blogosphere
* Introducing Ubuntu Electronics Remix 9.10
* Upcoming Meetings & Events
* Updates & Security

== General Community News ==

=== Developer Membership Board election results ===

As elected by the Ubuntu development team, the members of the Developer
Membership Board are now:

* Colin Watson - Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ColinWatson
* Emmet Hikory - Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/EmmetHikory
* Soren Hansen - Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SorenHansen
* Michael Bienia - Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MichaelBienia
* Stéphane Graber - Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/stgraber
* Richard Johnson - Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RichardJohnson
* Cody Somerville - Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CodySomerville

They will serve for a 1 year term, helping to welcome new Ubuntu
developers into the project, after which another election will be held.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2010-January/000667.html

=== Ubuntu User Days A Big Success ===

Ubuntu User Days just wrapped up, and what a day it was. Lasting 15
hours, and with each presenter giving a one hour presentation, it made
for a very lively day over all. The awesome crew of Ubuntu User Days[1]
did a great job of organizing, and when one presenter turned up sick and
another couldn't get on line, duanedesign and starcraftman volunteered
to take over those two spots to keep the ball rolling. As usual with
these on line sessions, the audience with their great questions and
feedback was what made the day a success. If you weren't able to attend,
or missed a session you wanted to be at, you can find the logs of all
the sessions here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDays/Logs/January2010

1. http://princessleia.com/journal/?p=2547

Ubuntu User Days was also conducted in Spanish and reports that their
sessions were just as productive and fun and the English version. You
can can find a report of that sessions success here:
http://blog.diegoturcios.net16.net/?p=372 and the logs of the day here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DiaDelUsuarioUbuntu/LogsEnero2010

http://princessleia.com/journal/?p=2547

=== Bugs and hugs ===

We’re pleased to be participating in an Ubuntu Bug Day on Thursday 28
January 2010 and hope you will join us as we triage ubuntuone-client bugs.

Ubuntu Bug Day is also known as HugDay. So what exactly is a HugDay?

* The HugDay is a special day where the Ubuntu Community comes together
with a shared goal of triaging a specific package or set of packages.
Working together allows us to share knowledge and give some much needed
assistance to the Ubuntu Developers. The term HugDay is a spin on BugDay
but every time someone triages a bug, then someone else should hug
him/her. Why? This is a very special way for us to tell everyone that we
love contributions! And triaging bugs is a really big contribution.

We look forward to working with you on triaging some Ubuntu One bugs and
giving numerous digital hugs along the way!