Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #174

John Crawford johnc4510 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 3 22:03:26 GMT 2010

Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue #174 for the week December
27th - January 2nd, 2010. In this issue we cover: Edubuntu Council Elections
Results, Call for votes: Ubuntu Developer Membership Board election, New IRC
Council Appointments, Ubuntu User Days Announcement, Ubuntu will be at Anime
Boston 2010, 2010 Launchpad Release Calendar, Trying Out Launchpad
Translations, The Planet: Amber, Daniel, Matthew, Steven, and Daniel, Full
Circle Magazine #32, December Team Reports, and much, much more!

== UWN Translations ==

 * Note to translators and our readers: We are trying a new way of linking
to our translations pages. Please follow the link below for the information
you need.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Translations

== In This Issue ==

 * Edubuntu Council Elections Results
 * Call for votes: Ubuntu Developer Membership Board election
 * New IRC Council Appointments
 * Ubuntu User Days Announcement
 * Ubuntu Stats
 * Ubuntu will be at Anime Boston 2010
 * 2010 Launchpad Release Calendar
 * Trying Out Launchpad Translations
 * The Planet: Amber, Daniel, Matthew, Steven, and Daniel
 * In the Press & Blogosphere
 * Full Circle Magazine #32
 * December Team Reports
 * Meetings & Events
 * Updates & Security

== General Community News ==

=== Edubuntu Council Elections Results ===

The Edubuntu Council has announced the results of the Council Elections
[1][2].  The following nominees were all voted into the Council by the
Edubuntu Members team:

 * Stéphane Graber - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/stgraber
 * Jonathan Carter - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JonathanCarter
 * Richard Johnson - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RichardJohnson
 * Scott Balneaves - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ScottBalneaves
 * Alkis Georgopoulos - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AlkisGeorgopoulos
 * Jordan Erickson - https://launchpad.net/~lns

Congratulations to these new Edubuntu Council Members! And thanks to the
Edubuntu community for working to make this such a smooth process.

 1.
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-news-team/2009-November/000754.html
 2.
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-news-team/2009-December/000800.html

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-news-team/2009-December/000815.html

=== Call for votes: Ubuntu Developer Membership Board election ===

Voting has begun to determine who will hold the seats on the newly
established Developer Membership Board, which is responsible for determining
when, how and to whom to grant privileges related to Ubuntu development. In
particular, the DMB will take over the membership functions previously held
by the Technical Board and MOTU Council.

More information at:

 * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DeveloperMembershipBoard and
 *
http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2009/12/08/call-for-nominations-ubuntu-developer-membership-board/

Like this year’s Technical Board election, the poll is using the Condorcet
Internet Voting system. Ballots have been sent privately to each eligible
voter (member of ~ubuntu-dev), based on a list of email addresses harvested
from Launchpad.

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/1963

=== New IRC Council Appointments ===

We are very pleased to finally announce the following new members of the IRC
Council, as selected by the Community Council based on feedback from the
incumbent IRC Council and the IRC Community:

 * Juha Siltala (topyli) https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JuhaSiltala
 * Terence Simpson (tsimpson) https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TerenceSimpson
 * Nathan Handler (nhandler) https://wiki.ubuntu.com/nhandler

We on the Community Council wish to publicly thank the incumbent IRC Council
for their thorough feedback regarding all the candidates, as well as all
feedback that we received from folks in the IRC community. All of this
feedback was valuable to helping us make the most informed decision possible
to help the IRC community move forward.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-irc/2009-December/000825.html

=== Ubuntu User Days Announcement ===

Chris Johnston, Elizabeth Krumbach, Penelope Stowe and Mark Cox volunteered
to take the lead on a project to introduce beginning and intermediate users
to Ubuntu. "The idea behind this is to take users from no knowledge of how
to use Ubuntu, to installing it, finding programs that are equivalent to the
programs they used in either a Windows or Mac environment, the basics of
running Ubuntu, and how to get help when it is needed."  More information on
Ubuntu User Days and the complete schedule can be found at
http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDays .

http://chrisjohnston.org/2009/ubuntu-user-days-january-23-2010

 * Open (76886) +452 over last week
 * Critical (40) -1 over last week
 * Unconfirmed (40039) +333 over last week

As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started, please
see  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

=== Translation Stats Karmic ===

 1. Spanish (11800) -487 over last week
 2. French (44101) -1685 over last week
 3. Brazilian Portuguese (45039) -499 over last week
 4. Swedish (66418) -197 over last week
 5. English (United Kingdom) (68583) -3287 over last week

Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala", see more at:
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/

=== Ubuntu Brainstorm Top 5 this week ===

 * Warning when running update manager while using battery -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/23211/
 * It's annoying when applications start up and take focus away from what
your doing - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/23209/
 * It's important that 3rd party repositories can be added with 1 click -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/23207/
 * No Error Message - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/23220/
 * Make it easier for people that use a custom kernel -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/23208/

Ubuntu Brainstorm is a community site geared toward letting you add your
ideas for Ubuntu. You can submit your own idea, or vote for or against
another idea. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

== LoCo News ==

=== Ubuntu will be at Anime Boston 2010 ===

The Massachusetts LoCo Team has made their primary target of $700 and will
be attending Anime Boston 2010, and thanks all those who donated so far.
This secures them a booth at the event.  But they still need printed
materials to distribute.  They need an additional $1500 to have copies of
the Ubunchu Manga to give out. Donations can be made at
http://www.ubuntu-massachusetts.com/events/9/ .

http://blog.thesilentnumber.me/2009/12/ubuntu-will-be-at-anime-boston-2010.html

== Launchpad News ==

=== 2010 Launchpad Release Calendar ===

The Launchpad Release Calendar for 2010 has been posted to the Launchpad
Development wiki[1].  Note that they are using the YY.MM naming to match the
Ubuntu model.  Having a public release calendar is particularly useful for
anyone wanting to contribute to our open source project.  It is also helpful
for users to know when we’re likely to have down-time or read-only time.

Maintenance and system status can be found at the identi.ca website[2]

 1. https://dev.launchpad.net/Releases/2010Calendar
 2. http://identi.ca/launchpadstatus

http://blog.launchpad.net/releases/2010-launchpad-release-calendar

=== Trying Out Launchpad Translations ===

There is now a "playground" or staging area to try out Launchpad
translations.  To use it you will, of course, need a Launchpad login and at
least one gettext translation template (”.pot file”) with strings from your
program.  Then you can:
 1. Set up a project - This is done on the project registration page.  If
you already have a project registered it will show up in staging.
 2. Set up a development branch - You may have one already on the real
Launchpad, but staging is different, and you will need to set one up there.
  * You have a bzr branch on your local system - This will have to be pushed
up to the staging area.
  * You have a bzr branch on Launchpad - You will need to get the branch
from Launchpad and place it in an empty directory on your system, then push
it to staging.
  * You don’t have a bzr branch - This is for those who are using a
different version control system to be able to create a .pot file to push up
to staging.
 3. Set up a translations export branch - This creates the area from which
you can pull the translations into your local branch.
 4. Configuring imports and exports - You now have two branches, one to
import templates from and another to export translations to. Next you
configure imports from your development branch and exports to your
translations branch.
 5. Check up on the imports - They may be Approved (awaiting importing),
Imported, or Failed.
 6. Translate! - Clicking on one of the languages in the translations list
with the red bars will take you to the template’s translation page: the UI
for entering translations.
 7. Update the template - The method of manually updating the template.
 8. Import translations - Setting up automatic importing of translations.
 9. Going full-circle - Setting up 2 way synchronization of your branches.
 10. Help! Staging refreshed and now everything’s gone! - Remember that
staging is refreshed every day (or every few days, under certain
circumstances).  Just set it up again.

Full details and documentation can be found at
http://blog.launchpad.net/general/trying-out-launchpad-translations

== Ubuntu Forums News ==

=== Tutorial of the Week ===

Want to try another desktop environment? Give e17 a try. Enlightenment is
not just another windows manager. It comes with a whole set of libraries.
You can set up a minimal install (please see previous ToW) and add e17.
Everything is explained in "HOWTO: installation of e17 from SVN code " and
maintained by Rui Pais (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=862),
smartboyathome (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=264712) and Tux Aubrey
(http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=167727). With their help, you will be
able to set up a unique desktop!

== The Planet ==

=== Amber Graner: UbuCon at SCaLE 8X ===

So it's official there will be an UbuCon at SCaLE 8x. (February 19-21, 2010
in Southern California) There will be approximately 7 hours of Ubuntu
related topics on the 19th of February. (Working on getting it added to the
special events page on the SCaLE website, stay tuned). What is an UbuCon you
might ask.. In this case it will be 7 hours of talks, demos, etc all based
on a connection to Ubuntu. http://www.socallinuxexpo.org/scale8x/

The awesome California LoCo team will be taking the reins and running with
the UbuCon. Now comes the fun part, what do people want to hear about? What
Ubuntu related talks would you like to hear about. Are you attending SCaLE
8x and would like to present a talk at the UbuCon? Maybe you aren't
attending SCaLE but you have ideas for topics you would like to see covered
at an UbuCon as there are more being planned for other events in 2010.

As I mentioned the California LoCo team will be gathering these suggestions,
ideas and submissions. Please send them to Nathan Haines (nhaines), who make
sure the UbuCon team can review them. nhaines at ubuntu.com Please include a
summary of what your session/talk would include. Also if submitting an idea
for a session please include as much information as possible. All
submissions must be in by the 15th of January and a decision on the UbuCon
Schedule will be finalized and all speakers/contributors will be notified by
January 22, 2010.

http://amber.redvoodoo.org/2009/12/ubucon-at-scale-8x.html

=== Daniel Holbach: You’re into Free Culture? Share with Ubuntu ===

As part of the Ubuntu community we’re quite used to the concept of sharing
our work with others. Not just because we’re all good and selfless people
but because we deeply believe that by actively making the fruits of our
labour available to others we make the world more diverse and interesting,
solve problems and generally make it a better place.

There luckily today are countless and successful examples of this and Ubuntu
fits perfectly into this world of sharing. To underline this we want to
support artists by making their art available on the actual Ubuntu CDs.

A couple of Ubuntu releases back we started the Ubuntu Free Culture Showcase
and have since then delivered the best video, the best piece of audio and
the best picture on our Ubuntu CDs.

So, if you are into making music, painting, photography, or videos, we want
you to participate in Lucid’s Ubuntu Free Culture Showcase. If you produced
a great picture, video or piece of music, to enter the competition, head to
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuFreeCultureShowcase for the instructions!

http://daniel.holba.ch/blog/?p=548

=== Matthew Helmke: Ubuntu Unleashed 2010 Edition ===

I just received my copy of Ubuntu Unleashed 2010 Edition and I am thrilled.
Since I am one of the authors, consider this more of an announcement than a
review as well as an invitation to take a look and see if the book interests
you. This book is intended for intermediate to advanced users, as opposed to
my work on The Official Ubuntu Book, which is aimed at being an introduction
of Ubuntu to people new to Linux.

 * Ubuntu Unleashed 2010 Edition:
http://www.amazon.com/Ubuntu-Unleashed-2010-Covering-9-10/dp/0672331098
 * The Official Ubuntu Book:
http://www.amazon.com/Official-Ubuntu-Book-Benjamin-Mako/dp/0137021208/

http://matthewhelmke.net/2009/12/29/ubuntu-unleashed-2010-edition/

=== Steven Harms: A thousand passwords ===

In this day and age of the internet, we have more content and interaction
than ever before. This access generally comes with a price: everything
requires a user name and password. How does a mere mortal remember their
credentials to login to thousands of websites? More importantly, I am not
always on the same computer, how do I access my passwords from all of them?

The long term solution would be to see 100% adoption of OpenID. Inevitably
many sites will always be behind the curve, so until that day comes, I
recommend Revelation.

Revelation is an easy to use, secure and lightweight password manager for
Linux. It is written in GTK so those running the GNOME desktop (the default
for Ubuntu) will be right at home. You can have several different folders to
help organize your passwords, and define actions based on the type of
password being stored.

What makes this great is that all of your passwords are stored encrypted.
This means if someone takes your computer, without your master password your
passwords would be useless. This also means we can store our password using
Ubuntu One or Dropbox.

If you are running Ubuntu, you can install Revelation by clicking
Applications -> Ubuntu Software Center and searching for Revelation. If you
would prefer the command line version:

 * sudo apt-get install revelation

There are many alternatives out there, but if you are running Linux and just
need a simple, no-hassle password manager Revelation is worth five minutes
to try it out.

http://www.sharms.org/blog/2009/12/31/a-thousand-passwords/

=== Daniel Chin: powerdown changes to alsa-base in Lucid/10.04 ===

If you don't normally follow the Ubuntu development lists, it's a good time
to begin. Yesterday I uploaded alsa-driver 1.0.22.1 to Lucid which, among
other things, contains my extensions to power down various parts of the HDA
controller and codec after a configurable idle period. Work is far from
complete, and I could use your help to make sure your sound hardware is
well-supported in 10.10.

In summary:
"Just to clarify in case it's not already obvious: my having uploaded
alsa-driver 1.0.22.1 in no way affects the default Lucid install of the
kernelspace ALSA driver (aka alsa-kernel). It remains 1.0.21. Anyone wishing
to build modules of 1.0.22.1 can do so using module-assistant and
alsa-source. And, until Takashi returns, that approach will be more current
than using the daily snap from the 27 Dec.

So, the current state of Lucid contains:
 * alsa-kernel 1.0.21 (as shipped in linux 2.6.32-9.13-generic)
 * alsa-lib 1.0.22 + Fix-S24_3LE-softvol-distortion.patch (bdf80)
 * alsa-plugins 1.0.22"

http://drowninginbugs.blogspot.com/2009/12/heads-up-powerdown-changes-to-alsa-base.html

== In The Press ==

=== Ubuntu 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, 64-bit Kernel Benchmarks ===

Michael Larabel tells us of a request in Phoronix's forums to compare the
performance of Linux between using 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, and 64-bit kernels.
This came after Linus Torvalds spoke of 25% performance differences between
kernels using CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G and those without this option that allows
32-bit builds to address up to 4GB of physical RAM on a system. Larabel
decided to compare the performance of the 32-bit, 32-bit PAE, and 64-bit
kernels on a modern desktop system and in the fourteen tests conducted for
this article Larabel did not find using Ubuntu's 32-bit PAE kernel to have a
dramatic performance impact whether it be positive or negative. By far
though exhibiting the best performance was the Ubuntu 64-bit kernel that
often ended up being leaps and bounds better than the 32-bit kernel. Unless
you have technical or business reasons for not migrating to 64-bit Linux
with compatible hardware, there is no reason to stick around with a 32-bit
kernel and worrying about physical address extension.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_32_pae&num=1

=== 15 game-changing Linux moments of the decade ===

Tech Radar's Graham Morrison states that if you had sat at your Linux
computer one dark evening in late 1999, things would have been considerably
different. Your machine would probably be running either Red Hat 6.1 or
Mandrake 6. As a Linux user, you'd have been an uber-geek, someone with an
obsessive interest in computing and far too much time on your hands. But
things have changed. Linux is now an operating system anyone can install and
use, and it's growing stronger every year. Morrison goes on to list his 15
game-changing Lunux moments of the decade including October 2004 when Ubuntu
Warty Warthog was released. "It's the only Linux distribution in our list,
but whether you love or hate Ubuntu, there's no denying that its appearance
on the scene has changed Linux dramatically. For mainstream media, it's now
often a byword for Linux, and thanks to its charismatic astronaut leader,
Linux has a free software advocate to compete with Steve Jobs and Steve
Ballmer."
http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/15-game-changing-linux-moments-of-the-decade-659030

=== Dell netbook updated with Pineview CPU ===

Eric Brown of LinuxForDevices.com reports that Dell announced an updated
version of its Ubuntu-ready Inspiron Mini 10 netbook, using Intel's new Atom
N450 processor and an optional Broadcom "Crystal HD" media accelerator. The
Mini 10 now sports a redesigned keyboard, optional HD video support, and up
to 9.5 hours of battery life. The Dell Inspiron Mini 10 is expected to be
available in early January from Dell, with prices starting at $300. The
Ubuntu Linux option will also be introduced in the "coming weeks," so
initially, it appears that the netbook will ship only with Windows 7 Starter
or Windows XP Home. The HD related bundles, meanwhile, will be available in
the first quarter of 2010.
http://www.linuxfordevices.com/c/a/News/Dell-Mini-10-2010-edition/

=== Great and Disappointing Operating Systems of the Decade ===

IT World's Eric Henderson acknowledges that writing about the best and worst
in operating system is like a crap magnet: He knows that he is pressing the
big red button. People develop a personal relationship with operating
systems, whether on servers or their personal machine or phone. The
love/hate relationship becomes anchored with deep emotions about the
merits/detractions of the devices they use-- through the lenses of operating
systems. Henderson goes on to list what he feels are some of the worst
operating systems of the past decade, as well as some of the best operating
systems. Henderson considers Linux as one of the truly great operating
systems and says, "The promise of Linux for civilians is slowly but surely
being realized through distros like Ubuntu."
http://www.itworld.com/operating-systems/89733/great-disappointing-operating-systems-decade

=== Infamous Chinese pirates launch Ubuntu that looks just like Windows XP
===

Sebastian Anthony of Download Squad says, "From the Chinese pirate masters
of the non-sea-faring variety comes ... Ylmf OS!" Not happy with pirating
Windows XP itself, these creative Chinese have gone one step further and
hacked Ubuntu to look exactly like Windows XP. Why have they moved to
Ubuntu? Because their previous release -- a pirate version of Windows XP
itself -- is being cracked down on by Microsoft. This isn't the first time
copycats or pirates have imitated a prevalent operating system. Cloned in
China reported on the case of Tomato Garden Windows XP, another pirate
distribution, where the creator was jailed for 4 years and fined $147,000.
All in all, despite the questionable legality, it really is a great-looking
copycat; almost pixel-perfect. Anthony wonders if Ubuntu developers are
happy, or despairing.
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/12/26/chinese-copy-cat-pirates-launch-ubuntu-that-looks-just-like-windows-xp/

=== Ubuntu: Nine Priorities for Canonical’s Incoming CEO ===

As Mark Shuttleworth transitions Canonical’s CEO crown to Jane Silber, The
VAR Guy believes there are at least nine major Ubuntu priorities that Silber
will need to address. His list includes:

 * A New Community
 * Strengthen the Server Story
 * Show Cloud Success
 * Recruit Application Providers
 * Strengthen OEM Relationships
 * Compete and Cooperate with Google, Intel
 * Disclose Customer Wins
 * Related Services
 * Canonical Partner Program

No doubt, Silber will have a full plate when she takes on the CEO crown by
March 1, 2010. But she’s in an enviable position. Although it’s difficult to
track Canonical’s financial performance, buzz about Ubuntu — particularly on
desktop and mobile systems — continues to grow. Click on the following link
for the VAR Guy's details on each priority:
http://www.thevarguy.com/2009/12/21/ubuntu-nine-priorities-for-canonicals-incoming-ceo/

== In The Blogosphere ==

=== Canonical's opportunity to simplify Ubuntu ===

Matt Asay, of The Open Road, a cnet news contributor, talks about what he
believes is Canonical's  "an opportunity to tighten its focus".  This
opportunity stems from the changing CEO roles at Canonical, as Mark
Shuttleworth hands the reins to now COO, Jane Silber. Asay notes, "When I
asked what his resignation as CEO means for Ubuntu, and his involvement with
it, Shuttleworth responded: "I don't expect to be less visible, just have
stronger management for the business units."" and therein lies the
opportunity that Asay points to in his article. Asay, reminds readers that,
"Regardless of what happens, stay tuned to see how Shuttleworth's design
aesthetic, now set to overdrive... With more time to focus on what customers
and partners want, Canonical and Ubuntu may be set to take a more commanding
position in the market." http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10418223-16.html

=== Dell introduces best Ubuntu netbook ever? ===

Cyber Cynic, Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols for Computer World Blogs, writes
about the ever friendly Linux Desktop supporter - Dell, and the latest
version of the Mini 10 netbook being offered with Ubuntu. Steven points
admits that Ubuntu 9.10 is rough around the edges if you install it
yourself, but notes that "dell has always done and excellent job of fitting
Ubuntu on its systems" Steven's article points out some of the features of
the new Dell Mini 10's using Intel's new Pine Trail chip, 10.1 inch display,
a slightly reworked keyboard, a gigabyte of RAM, built-in 802.11 b/g
wireless also noting the Bluetooth and Mobile broadband options. The prices
on the mini 10's start at $299.00 as Steven, notes it's cheap.  Steven
predicts, "Put it all together--Ubuntu, excellent components, and a reliable
company to stand behind the unit--and I honestly think that this generation
of the Dell Mini 10 may turn out to be the best Linux netbook to date."
http://blogs.computerworld.com/15289/dell_introduces_best_ubuntu_netbook_ever

=== Retrospect on Ubuntu in 2009 ===

Christopher Tozzi, WorkswithU, looks back over 2009 and what Ubuntu and the
community has accomplished as he looks at the most memorable changes to
Ubuntu throughout 2009. Tozzi, states that, "Many of the developments
discussed below were the work of parties not affiliated with Ubuntu or
Canonical, and many of them apply to other Linux distributions and the rest
of the free-software community as well as to Ubuntu.  But they’ve all
impacted the experience of Ubuntu users, so they’re worth highlighting
here."

 * Shuttleworth steps down
 * 3D acceleration in VirtualBox
 * OpenOffice 3
 * Chrome OS and Canonical
 * Better Networkmanager
 * New look in Ubuntu 9.10

In his retrospective, Tozzi, goes into detail on each of these memorable
moments and says, "All in all, 2009 was not a revolutionary year for the
Ubuntu community.  There was no LTS release...and the focus was on
incremental development. Nonetheless, it’s clear that Ubuntu gained some
useful new features, and the community received interesting news, in 2009.
Let’s hope the improvements we’ve seen in the last year solidify and expand
going into 2010 and the Lucid release next April."
http://www.workswithu.com/2009/12/28/retrospect-on-ubuntu-in-2009/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+WorksWithU+(Works+With+U)

=== The Evolution of Ubuntu.com ===

Christopher Tozzi, WorksWithU, discusses the changes that have happened on
the Ubuntu website, and how compared to the way it looked a few years ago,
"it's looking pretty slick."  In this article Tozzi goes into detail about
how ubuntu.com has evolved and why it matters. With screenshots of the site
in 2007 and the current homepage, he notes, "The positive evolution of
Ubuntu’s website is also apparent from the “feature tour” pages created for
different Ubuntu releases."  Tozzi points out that "The tour for Ubuntu 9.10
takes things to a whole new level with exciting layout and loads of
attractive screenshots that truly show Ubuntu in action.."  Tozzi, states
he's going to keep his "eyes peeled for for improvements like these when
Lucid debuts in April.  But even as it stands now, it’s clear ubuntu.com has
come a long way since the days of Feisty Fawn."
http://www.workswithu.com/2009/12/24/the-evolution-of-ubuntu-com/

=== Ubuntu 10.04 LTS: How we get there ===

Matt Zimmerman, on his Blog, notes that the for almost 2 months the
development of Ubuntu 10.04 has been under way, and in April the 3rd Ubuntu
LTS will be released. He gives links to both Rick Spencer's summary about
what is ahead for the desktop team, and notes that a similar write up will
be coming from Jos Boumans on the server team.  Zimmerman however notes,
"What I want to talk about, though, is not the individual projects we’re
working on. I want to explain how the whole thing comes together, and what’s
happening behind the scenes to make 10.04 LTS different from other Ubuntu
releases."  Zimmerman discusses "Changing the focus" and points out the key
elements that Robbie Williamson (foundations team manager), has in the LTS
plan.

 * Merge from Debian testing
 * Add fewer festures
 * Avoid major infrastructure changes
 * Extend beta testing
 * Freeze with Debian

Zimmerman also notes the tools they will use to "Stay on Course" by
"planning in smaller increments, using burn-down charts to track progress,
and by making the Ubuntu development process as transparent as possible. He
notes that, "By making these changes, we aim to deliver for our users the
right balance of stability and features that they expect from an Ubuntu LTS
release. In particular, we want folks to feel confident deploying Ubuntu
10.04 in settings where it will be actively maintained for a period of
years."
http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2009/12/23/ubuntu-10-04-lts-how-we-get-there/

== In Other News ==

=== Full Circle Magazine #32 ===

Full Circle - The independent magazine for the Ubuntu Linux community are
proud to announce the release of our thirty-second issue.

This month:

 * Command and Conquer.
 * How-To : Program in Python - Part 6, The Perfect Server - Part 2,
Installing Chromium (browser) and Offline Package Install.
 * My Story - Classroom Experiences, and How I Became An Ubuntu Woman.
 * My Opinion - Time To Review The Release Schedule? and Will Linux Ever Get
It Right?
 * Review - Music Player Daemon.
 * MOTU Interview - Roderick Greening.
 * Top 5 - Media Centers.
 * Ubuntu Women, Ubuntu Games and all the usual goodness!

Get it while it's hot!  http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-32/

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-news-team/2010-January/000823.html

== Meeting Summaries: December 2009 ==

=== Ubuntu Governance ===

==== Developer Membership Board ====

 * Developer Membership Board meeting, 2009-12-08

  * Alberto Milone -> core-dev

   * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AlbertoMilone/CoreDeveloperApplication

   * not present, wanted to ask a few questions, so continued by email

  * Daniel Chen: ubuntu-core-dev reactivation

   * approved (+1: pitti, Keybuk, kees, cjwatson, mdz)

  * Adrian Perez: azureus, eclipse, swt-gtk

   * azureus, eclipse in universe, already approved by MC

   * http://packages.qa.debian.org/s/swt-gtk.html

   * swt-gtk approved (+1: cjwatson, pitti, kees, mdz)

  * future roles of the DMB vs. motu-council

   * keep motu-council for non-developer-membership functions

   * nominate all members of TB and MC for 7 member election of DMB

   * [ACTION] mdz to drive election for DMB, based on existing members of TB
and MC

  * Next meeting: 2009-12-22, 1500UTC.  Chair: pitti

 * Developer Membership Board meeting, 2009-12-22

  * Attendees:

   * DMB: Martin Pitt (chair), Matt Zimmerman, Scott James Remnant

   * Guests: Alberto Milone, Scott Kitterman, Emmet Hikory

  * Review of previous action items:

   * mdz to drive election for DMB, based on existing members of TB and MC:
ongoing, still waiting for one nominee to confirm/decline

  * Alberto Milone -> core-dev

   * Approved (+3 for, 0 against. 0 abstained)

  * Updating https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopers to reflect DMB changes
(Emmet):

   * should applicants for core-dev be applying directly to the DMB, rather
than first through the MC? → Yes

   * should core-dev applicants be encouraged to previously be Ubuntu
Developers (in some way), or is that on a per-applicant basis? → Should not
generally be required; depending on applicant's interests, (s)he can apply
directly for core-dev, with a higher barrier for entry

   * Does the DMB also expect to take applicants for Contributing Developer?
→ Yes, since this was previously a function of the MC, which is being merged
with DMB

    * '''ACTION:''' Emmet to ask CC to make DMB an admin of
~universe-contributors, as part of the DMB/MC merge

   * Would it make sense to list MOTU (and MC) as a delegated team by DMB?
It was historically delegated by TB, but in its former function for
approving developers; for consistent documentation, MOTU should now be
regarded as a DMB delegate, similar to ubuntu-desktop, kubuntu-dev, etc.

   * OK.  Last question: Is the term "Ubuntu Specialist Developer"
acceptable as an umbrella category to describe members of "Ubuntu Desktop
Developers", "Mythbuntu Developers", "Kubuntu Developers", and  "MOTU"? →
The discussion did not bring up a good term for this; decision was to go
with "Ubuntu Developer (from delegated team)" for now and change to a better
name later on

 * DMB election

  * Waiting for one nominated candidate to confirm/decline; decision should
be made by Thursday, Dec 24

  * 3 weeks voting period, plus some slack for Christmas holidays

  * Voting period: 24 Dec to 18 Jan

 * Next meeting: 2010-01-05, 1500UTC. Chair: mdz

==== Technical Board ====

 * Technical Board meeting, 2009-12-01 (chair mdz)

  * Prior action review, leaves the follow still to do:

   * [ACTION] cjwatson checking on IS RT #36139 to add devel-permissions

   * [ACTION] Scott to redraft Units policy to address Scott's and Matt's
concerns and clean up language

   * [ACTION] Colin to clarify trademark/license distinction on licensing
policy

  * Archive reorganisation (ColinWatson)

   * [ACTION] cjwatson to create a wiki reference for development teams to
participate in the reorg

  * https://wiki.kubuntu.org/Kubuntu/UpdatesPolicy

   * Would be good to outline a regression handling policy as well.

   * Default to assuming users want stability.

   * [ACTION] ScottK to revise proposal based on TB meeting discussion

  * When is it a good idea to fail out of a maintainer script? (mdz)

   * Generally, failing preinst is preferred to failing postinst.

   * Generally, daemon start-up failure should not fail postinst.

   * May help to make a distinction between devel and release upgrades.

   * No clear "philosophical" state of being configured, so it's is
non-obvious how to decide what should be considered a failure.

   * Would be beneficial to present a straw-man proposal to the Debian TC to
coordinate this.

   * Will continue at the next meeting.

  * Community Bugs

   * https://launchpad.net/bugs/485569 "TB term length is unclear"

    * elections single-year staggered with resulting positions having a
two-year term.

    * [ACTION] sabdfl to update LP/wiki/www to reflect the actual term
length for TB

is private"

    * blocked on IS, now that DMB is up and running.

    * [ACTION] cjwatson to nudge RT 35428

  * Out of time, deferred further review to next meeting

  * Next meeting: kees to chair

 * Technical Board meeting, 2009-12-15 (chair kees)

  * Prior action review

   * Excepting tasks covered under the UnitsPolicy and Kubuntu/UpdatesPolicy
discussions below, prior actions were all done.

  * UnitsPolicy

   * Generally okay, but some minor clean-ups still needed.  Could
coordinate with Debian.

   * [ACTION] mdz to fix language wrt cmdline meaning in Unit policy

   * [ACTION] kees to present Units policy to Debian TC via bdale

  * Status of ARM port vs. archive publishing (slangasek, mdz)

   * ARM is considered supported for Karmic and later, even though it lives
on ports.

   * [ACTION] cjwatson to document meanings of archive vs. ports, cdimage
vs. releases, etc.

  * Archive reorganisation (ColinWatson)

   * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopers/TeamDelegation

   * [ACTION] cjwatson to add a bit more intro to
UbuntuDevelopment/TeamDelegation, and link it from appropriate places

   * [ACTION] cjwatson to follow up with kubuntu-dev and mythbuntu-dev to
get ubuntu-core-dev added

  * Kubuntu/UpdatesPolicy

   * [ACTION] ScottK to update policy based on kubuntu upstream feedback

   * [ACTION] kees to follow up with ScottK on Kubuntu/UpdatesPolicy updates

  * Execute Permission Policy (KeesCook)

   * [ACTION] kees to clean up further and re-present at next meeting

  * Check up on community bugs (standing item)

   * https://launchpad.net/bugs/485559 "Mark Shuttleworth has no expiration
date set in the tech-board LP team"

    * [ACTION] sabdfl to propose to CC that the TB is a CC delegate, and
clarify his role

    * [ACTION] sabdfl to update bug with status and discussion

  * When is it a good idea to fail out of a maintainer script? (Matt
Zimmerman)

   * Deferred, ran out of time.

  * Next meeting is Jan 12, 2010.  Chair: cjwatson

=== Ubuntu LoCo Teams ===

==== Catalan Team ====

 * Act "Omelette and free software (
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_c38l__7wfEA/SytFgojXDVI/AAAAAAAABwI/C446meeMtu8/truitaiubuntu2.jpg)"
in Caldes de Montbuï.

 * Irc meeting. Reviewing for better release parties. Confirm we will do an
install party in Cooperativa Germinal.

 * SergiMateo new LoCo member.

 * Reorganised Launchpad Catalan LoCo groups.

==== Irish Team ====

 * Congrualtions to  Rory McCann  (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/rorymcc) and
Declan McGrath (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/declanmg), both members of our LoCo,
who are now official Ubuntu Members,

 * Face to face meet up on Thursday 3rd of December with ILUG (
http://www.linux.ie/) in the Longstone (http://www.thelongstone.com).

 * Regular Monthly IRC Meeting (
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam/IRCMeetings/2009-12-16) was held at 8pm
Irish time on Tuesday 16th December 2009.

 * Date picked for our Limerick (
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam/Events#Limerick%20Meeting%20Featuring%20Ubuntu)
event next year .

 * The LoCo created a  Roadmap (
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam/Roadmaps/Lucid ) for our Goals over the
Lucid cycle.

 * A Christmas face to face meet up on Tuesday 22nd of December in the
Westin Hotel (http://www.thewestindublin.com/).

 * Our first Ubuntu Hour event has been planned for next month. Details post
here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam/Events#Ubuntu%20Hour

==== Japanese Team ====

 * "Ubuntu Weekly Recipe" has marked the 100th article since its beginning
in January 2008.

  * http://gihyo.jp/admin/serial/01/ubuntu-recipe

==== Nicaraguan Team ====

 * 3 dec.  : Members of Ubuntu-ni (https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-ni)
attending Fedora XII release party (http://www.linuxtour.org/Fedora-12).

 * 8 dec.  : Recording of first ever POSOL (Podcast Software Libre
Nicaragua) (http://picasaweb.google.com/mmgc84/POSOL10).

 * 15 dec. : Public release of POSOL episode 1 (
http://podcast.softwarelibre.org.ni/?p=3).

 * 16 dec. : Members of Ubuntu-ni (https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-ni)
attending Fito Pijudito's radio show at Radio Universidad (
http://ladelcolor.com).

 * 17 dec. : Meeting with Educational Comission on Technology/Free Software
Sub-comission. Discussing project for an educational distro.

 * 17 dec. : Members of Ubuntu-ni (https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-ni)
attending Cecilia Ferrer's (http://www.ceciliaferrer.com/) Luna & Instinto
animal video premiere.

 * 19 dec. : Pizza Bash (http://www.linuxtour.org/Pizza-Bash-XII) first year
aniversary, photos here (
http://picasaweb.google.com/josernestodavila/PizzaBashXII).

 * 22 dec. : Recording of POSOL episode 2 (
http://picasaweb.google.com/nacross/Posol2).

 * 30 dec.: Public release of POSOL episode 2 (
http://podcast.softwarelibre.org.ni/?p=58).

===== Kuban Team =====

 * We are distributing Ubuntu 9.10 and 8.04.3 LTS as well as repositories
for Ubuntu 8.04.3 LTS.

 * We had continued preparations for the project of typical automated
information management system for business (SMB) based on Ubuntu LTS
distributions.

 * There was regular meeting (
http://kuban.ubuntu.ru/content/traditsionnaya-vstrecha-ocherednoi-kubuntui)
with reps of Kuban LoCo. Photos (
http://kuban.ubuntu.ru/image-galleries/20091205-ocherednoi-kubuntui)

===== California Team =====

 * IRC meeting on December 13th (
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/09December13) to discuss
team organization, management structure, and processes. December 27th
meeting canceled due to holidays.

 * Distribution (
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-us-ca/2009-December/000991.html) of
some of the pressed Ubuntu CDs we got from Canonical.

===== North Carolina Team =====

 * Held the first  Ubuntu Hour (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Hour ) event in
North Carolina

 * Team meetings to discuss remaining steps to becoming an approved team

=== Ubuntu Beginners Team ===

 * [[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/Meetings/20091201|UbuntuBeginners
Team Meeting 2009-12-01]]

  * Discuss creation of a Roadmap.

   * duanedesign will create a wiki page that people can add suggestions to

  * Discuss Ubuntu User Days and possibly having the team get behind helping
out with them

  * Vote against publicly logging #ubuntu-beginners

  * Nigel Babu (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NigelBabu) joined the Ubuntu
Beginners Team. He has helped out with the wiki and on the forums, and he is
now helping out on IRC and answering questions on Launchpad.

== Upcoming Meetings and Events ==

=== Monday, January 4, 2010 ===

==== Security Team Catch-up ====

 * Start: 18:00 UTC
 * End: 18:30 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: nothing formal, just a weekly catch-up.

=== Tuesday, January 5, 2010 ===

==== Ubuntu Mobile Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 13:00 UTC
 * End: 14:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Meeting

==== Developer Membership Board ====

 * Start: 15:00 UTC
 * End: 16:00 UTC
 * Location: Not listed as of publication
 * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

==== Desktop Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 16:30 UTC
 * End: 17:30 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-desktop
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting

==== Kernel Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 17:00 UTC
 * End: 18:00 UTC
 * Location:  IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

==== LoCo Teams Meeting ====

 * Start: 18:00 UTC
 * End: 19:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-locoteams
 * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

==== EMEA Membership Meeting ====

 * Start: 20:00 UTC
 * End: 21:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership/RegionalBoards/EMEA

==== Community Council Meeting ====

 * Start: 22:00 UTC
 * End: 24:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityCouncilAgenda

=== Wednesday, January 6, 2010 ===

==== Ubuntu Beginners Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 00:00 UTC
 * End: 01:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/Meetings

==== Cameroonian LoCoTeam monthly IRC meeting ====

 * Start: 14:00 UTC
 * End: 16:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-cm
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CameroonianTeam/NextMeeting

==== Server Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 14:00 UTC
 * End: 15:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting

==== Foundation Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 16:00 UTC
 * End: 17:00 UTC
 * Location:  IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda:  None listed as of publication

==== QA Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 17:00 UTC
 * End: 18:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Meetings/

=== Thursday, January 7, 2010 ===

==== Ubuntu Java Meeting ====

 * Start: 14:00 UTC
 * End: 15:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda:  None listed as of publication

==== Ubuntu Translations Meeting ====

 * Start: 16:00 UTC
 * End: 17:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda:   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TranslatingUbuntu/Events/Meetings

==== Ubuntu Women IRC Meeting ====

 * Start: 21:00 UTC
 * End: 22:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Meetings/January2010/Agenda

=== Friday, January 8, 2010 ===

==== MC Meeting ====

 * Start: 20:00 UTC
 * End: 21:00 UTC
 * Location: Not listed as of publication
 * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

==== Lucid Weekly Release Meeting ====

 * Start: 16:00 UTC
 * End: 17:30 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam/Meeting/2010-01-08

=== Saturday, January 9, 2010 ===

 * None listed as of publication

=== Sunday, January 10, 2010 ===

 * None listed as of publication

== Updates and Security for 6.06, 8.04, 8.10, 9.04 and 9.10 ==

=== Security Updates ===

 * None listed as of publication

=== Ubuntu 6.06 Updates ===

 * redhat-cluster-suite_1.20060222-0ubuntu6.3_powerpc_translations.tar.gz-
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/dapper-changes/2009-December/012801.html
 * langpack-locales 2.3.18.30 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/dapper-changes/2010-January/012802.html

=== Ubuntu 8.04 Updates ===

 * redhat-cluster-
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2009-December/012356.html
 * spamassassin 3.2.4-1ubuntu1.2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2010-January/012357.html
 * tzdata 2009u~repack-0ubuntu0.8.04 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2010-January/012358.html

=== Ubuntu 8.10 Updates ===

 * redhat-cluster-
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/intrepid-changes/2009-December/009804.html
 * spamassassin 3.2.5-1ubuntu1.2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/intrepid-changes/2010-January/009805.html
 * tzdata 2009u~repack-0ubuntu0.8.10    -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/intrepid-changes/2010-January/009806.html

=== Ubuntu 9.04 Updates ===

 * xorg-server 2:1.6.0-0ubuntu14.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2009-December/009960.html
 * spamassassin 3.2.5-4ubuntu0.0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2010-January/009961.html
 * tzdata 2009u~repack-0ubuntu9.04 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2010-January/009962.html

=== Ubuntu 9.10 Updates ===

 * alsa-lib 1.0.20-3ubuntu6.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-December/012141.html
 * ubuntuone-storage-protocol 1.0.1-0ubuntu1    -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-December/012142.html
 * linux-mvl-dove 2.6.31-210.21 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-December/012143.html
 * ubuntuone-client 1.0.3-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-December/012144.html
 * bzr 2.0.2-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-December/012145.html
 * postgis 1.3.5-1ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-December/012146.html
 * vlc 1.0.2-1ubuntu2.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-December/012147.html
 * cryptsetup 2:1.0.6+20090405.svn49-1ubuntu7.2    -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-December/012148.html
 * mountall 1.0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-December/012149.html
 * gnome-screensaver 2.28.0-0ubuntu3.2    -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-December/012150.html
 * postgis 1.3.5-1ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-December/012151.html
 * spamassassin 3.2.5-4ubuntu0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-January/012152.html
 * tzdata 2009u-0ubuntu0.9.10 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-January/012153.html
 * eglibc 2.10.1-0ubuntu16 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-January/012154.html

== Archives and RSS Feed ==

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter

You can subscribe to the Ubuntu Weekly News via RSS at:
http://fridge.ubuntu.com/uwn/feed

== Additional Ubuntu News ==

 http://www.ubuntu.com/news

and

 http://fridge.ubuntu.com/

== Conclusion ==

== Credits ==

The Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter is brought to you by:

 * John Crawford
 * Craig A. Eddy
 * Dave Bush
 * Amber Graner
 * Isabelle Duchatelle
 * And many others

== Glossary of Terms ==

Other acronyms can be found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/glossary

== Ubuntu - Get Involved ==

The Ubuntu community consists of individuals and teams, working on different
aspects of the distribution, giving advice and technical support, and
helping to promote Ubuntu to a wider audience. No contribution is too small,
and anyone can help. It's your chance to get in on all the community fun
associated with developing and promoting Ubuntu.
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate

== Feedback ==

This document is maintained by the Ubuntu Weekly News Team. If you have a
story idea or suggestions for the Weekly Newsletter, join the Ubuntu News
Team mailing list at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-news-team and submit it.
Ideas can also be added to the wiki at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Ideas. If you'd like to
contribute to a future issue of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, please feel
free to edit the appropriate wiki page. If you have any technical support
questions, please send them to ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com.

Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License