Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #179

John Crawford johnc4510 at ubuntu.com
Sun Feb 7 19:50:29 GMT 2010


Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue #179 for the week January 
31st - February 6th, 2010. In this issue we cover: Open source industry 
veteran Matt Asay joins Canonical as COO, Lucid Translations now open, 
Ubuntu Developer Week Re-Cap, Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS Maintenance release, 
Lucid Ubuntu Global Jam Announced, Project Awesome Opportunity, New 
Ubuntu Review Team: Reviewing bug with patches, Jane Silber Interview, 
Dustin Kirkland Interview: Encryption in Ubuntu, Nicaraguan LoCo Team's 
Third Anniversary, Report on Launchpad down-time of 4th Feb 2010, 
January Team Meeting Reports, and much, much more!

== UWN Translations ==

* Note to translators and our readers: We are trying a new way of 
linking to our translations pages. Please follow the link below for the 
information you need.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Translations

== In This Issue ==

* Open source industry veteran Matt Asay joins Canonical as COO
* Lucid Translations now open
* Ubuntu Developer Week Re-Cap
* Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS Maintenance release
* Lucid Ubuntu Global Jam Announced
* Project Awesome Opportunity
* New Ubuntu Review Team: Reviewing bug with patches
* Jane Silber Interview
* Dustin Kirkland Interview: Encryption in Ubuntu
* Ubuntu Stats
* Nicaraguan LoCo Team's Third Anniversary
* Report on Launchpad down-time of 4th Feb 2010
* The Planet
* In the Press & Blogosphere
* January Team Meeting Reports
* Upcoming Meetings & Events
* Updates & Security

== General Community News ==

=== Open source industry veteran Matt Asay joins Canonical as COO ===

Canonical Ltd. announced this week that open source industry veteran 
Matt Asay has joined the company as chief operating officer (COO) -- 
responsible for aligning strategic goals and operational activities, the 
optimization of day-to-day operations, and leadership of Canonical 
marketing and back-office functions.

Most recently VP, Business Development for Alfresco, Asay has been 
involved with open source since 1998, and is one of the industry's 
leading open source business strategists.

“As more companies and people are embracing Ubuntu for their day-to-day 
computing, we felt it critical to bring in a person who knew not just 
open source, but has a long experience in making Linux relevant to 
businesses and users alike,” said Jane Silber, current COO and upcoming 
CEO, Canonical. “We think Matt brings to Canonical the perfect blend of 
industry, executive and community savvy.”

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/matt-asay-coo-canonical

=== Lucid Translations now open ===

We are pleased to announce that Lucid translations are now open. You can
now go to: http://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu and start doing your 
rocking job to translate your favorite distro as usual. There are some 
further notes listed in the announcement concerning Priorities, 
OpenOffice.org, Language packs, and Firefox. Please visit the link below 
for information on these added notes.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-translators/2010-February/003240.html

=== Ubuntu Developer Week Re-Cap ===

Here is a recap of the very successful Ubuntu Developer Week that just 
ended. Logs of each presentation are available at the links below so 
that you can catch up on any session you missed. Thanks to all who 
participated and a special thanks to all the presenters for a fantastic job!

Monday

1. Getting Started with Ubuntu Development: we had a great start in the 
first session, between 300 and 400 people attended it and we were able 
to resolve lots and lots of questions around the initial steps of 
developing Ubuntu. Check out the log if you want to start your journey 
too. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/GetStarted
1. Fixing small Ubuntu bugs: I simply love these sessions. Nothing is as 
powerful as the realisation that you can really fix a bug and really get 
it fixed for millions of users. One of the small bugs we discussed 
yesterday was fixed in Ubuntu Lucid today. 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/FixSmallBugs
1. Django: Dave Walker gave an excellent session about Django. If you 
ever think “I need some kind of website”, make sure you read the session 
log and try it out yourself. Judging by the really sharp questions that 
Dave got we can expect more Django sites coming up soon. 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/Django
1. Working on the Bleeding Edge: I’m very glad that Kees Cook gave this 
session because one of the most frequent questions of new Ubuntu 
Developers is “Do I need to run the current development release? Won’t 
that break my system?”. Kees gave very good advice to stay sane and 
avoid problems on the “bleeding edge”. He also uploaded a presentation 
about the topic. 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/BleedingEdge
1. Server oriented packages: Mathias Gug was up next and talked about 
the specifics of server packages: firewall rules, apparmor profiles, 
init scripts, etc. If you like servers, read the log and talk to the 
Server Team. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/ServerPkgs

Tuesday

1. Java libraries packaging: in four easy to understand examples Thierry 
Carrez explained how to deal with java libraries and how to make them 
build in the Ubuntu way. He managed to give a good overview of the 
current state of Java packaging, so let’s hope we see an increase in 
good quality java packages in the near future! 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/JavaLibs
1. Adding support for Ubuntu One to your applications: the wonderful 
Stuart Langridge was up next and showcased how simple and easy it is 
today to work with DesktopCouch as a data backend. His talk was full of 
nice examples so it should be easy for you to hook up your application 
with Ubuntu One. If you weren’t in the session, make sure you read the 
log. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/AddUbuntuOne
1. Internationalizing your application with quickly and Launchpad]: 
David Planella and Didier Roche are experts in their respective fields: 
Didier put a lot of work into Quickly and David knows almost everything 
about internationalisation and translations. Together they delivered a 
great show of how to easily make translated apps happen. 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/I18NYourApp
1. Getting your applications in the panel: Ted Gould did a great job of 
explaining why the panel currently can get a bit crowded, what’s the 
plan in lucid and what you can do to make applications fit into the new 
scheme. It’s pretty easy to work with the new application indicators, so 
have a look at the log and talk to the Ayatana people about it! 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/AppsOnThePannel
1. Automated server testing: Last of the day was Søren Hansen who talked 
to us about automated server testing, test suites and server-specific 
testing. Be sure to read the log to understand how this amazing 
technology works and what it has to do with the number of your favourite 
pizza guy. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/AutoServerTests

Wednesday

1. Writing good test-cases: this was a top-notch talk by John Arbash 
Meinel. Not only did he give a fantastic overview of today’s state of 
the art of proactively testing software, but also did he dive into the 
theory behind it and managed to get across a good feeling for what to 
bear in mind when writing test-cases. 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/WriteTests
1. Launchpad Translations under the hood: amazing work by Adi Roiban and 
Henning Eggers. The talk covered quite well how translations work, which 
tools are used and how Launchpad makes use of all of this to become this 
fantastic translations platform. 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/LPTranslate
1. Getting Started with EC2: this great talk by Scott Moser was 
well-researched and full of information about the Cloud, how it works, 
its importance and why to try it out. If you didn’t attend the session 
be sure to check out the log. 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/EC2
1. Developing and Testing in KVM: Dustin Kirkland was next and talked 
about one of the key players in virtualisation land. He covered what KVM 
is about, how it works and how to use it. Check out the “KVM hacks” 
section! https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/KVM
1. Python Applications Packaging: Luca Falavigna did the last talk of 
the day and even spent a bit more than the regular hour to talk the 
audience through the prodecude of packaging Python applications. Seems 
like we need to add SABPDFT to the glossary from now on… 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/PyAppsPkgs

Thursday

1. Adopt-an-Upstream: Jorge and I had a great time giving this talk. 
It’s incredibly important for Ubuntu to have good and healthy 
relationships to other projects. During the session we gave an overview 
over adopting an upstream, what to bear in mind, why to do it and how it 
fits into the bigger picture of Ubuntu development. 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/AdoptUpstream 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Upstream/Adopt
1. Kernel patches: Next up was Leann Ogasawara who rocked the house 
talking about patching the kernel, how the Kernel team works, how to get 
involved and how to get help. There was loads of questions and lots of 
interst. Let’s see how many new kernel hackers we’ll have soon! 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/KernelPatches
1. Getting more detailed bug reports: QA mastermind Brian Murray shed 
more light on one of his favourite tools: apport. What’s great about 
reporting bugs with apport is that it will get a lot of useful 
information from your system like the version number of the package, 
which kernel modules were loaded, etc. This eliminates a lot of bug 
question ping-pong. The best thing about it is though that it is easily 
extendable. Read the session log to find out how you can get more 
specific information for packages you’re interested in! 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/DetailingBugs
1. Bazaar and packaging: Jelmer Vernooij did a fantastic talk about 
Bazaar, Launchpad and Ubuntu/Debian packaging and why they go so good 
together. In a couple of easily understandable examples he showcased 
very well how to use them and why they make working with packages so 
much easier. Awesome! 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/BzrAndPkgs
1. How to get started hacking Launchpad: Ever wanted to fix a bug in 
Launchpad or improve it somehow? Be sure to check out the log of Karl 
Fogel’s session. It’s much much easier than you think to get from 
Getting Launchpad to Having contributed to it. Thanks Karl 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/HackLP 
https://dev.launchpad.net/Getting https://dev.launchpad.net/Contributions

Friday

1. Writing Beautiful Code: this session unfortunately had to be canceled 
as Paul Hummer couldn’t make it. We’ll definitely repeat the session 
soon and I’ll let you all know about it.
1. Doing merges right: an excellent session by Colin Watson. How changes 
make it from Debian to Ubuntu, how to get the most out of using Bazaar 
for the merging, how to deal with merge conflicts, etc. It all gets so 
much clearer after attending the session. 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/MergingCode
1. Meet launchpadlib: if you have a project that needs data from 
Launchpad, check out Jonathan Lange’s session about launchpadlib. He 
uses a nice little example to explain how best to go about gripping into 
Launchpad’s brain and extracting data from it. In the most cases you 
should be done really quickly and launchpadlib incantations mostly just 
add a few lines of code to your project. 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/LaunchpadLib
1. KDE/Kubuntu Junior Jobs/Papercuts: Mackenzie Morgan and Lydia 
Pintscher replaced Celest Lyn Paul in this session and they gave a 
fantastic overview how to get started helping out with KDE and Kubuntu. 
Read the log and start helping out! 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/KDEPaperCuts
1. Interpreting stacktraces: the last session of the day and of UDW was 
led by Emmet Hikory. He talked about reading stacktraces, tips and 
tricks how to use gdb, and covered enough background to help you figure 
out why a particular crash happens when you investigate it the next 
time. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/devweek1001/Stacktracing

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDeveloperWeek

=== Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS Maintenance release ===

The Ubuntu team is proud to announce the release of Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS, 
the fourth maintenance update to Ubuntu's 8.04 LTS release. This release 
includes updated server, desktop, and alternate installation CDs for the 
i386 and amd64 architectures. Ubuntu 8.04 LTS continues to be maintained 
through 2011 for desktops and 2013 for servers through online updates, 
but this is the final maintenance release of 8.04 LTS.

In all, some 70 updates have been integrated, and updated installation 
media has been provided so that fewer updates will need to be downloaded 
after installation. These include security updates and corrections for 
other high-impact bugs, with a focus on maintaining stability and 
compatibility with Ubuntu 8.04 LTS.

To download Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS, or obtain CDs, visit:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download

We recommend that all users read the release notes, which document 
caveats and workarounds for known issues. They are available at:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/804

=== Lucid Ubuntu Global Jam Announced ===

Announcing Ubuntu Global Jam! March 26th – 28th, 2010

In the last few cycles we have organized and run an event called the 
Ubuntu Global Jam. The idea was simple: encourage our awesome global 
Ubuntu community to get together in the same room to work on bugs, 
translations, documentation, testing and more. And they did, all over 
the world, as can be seen here.

To make the event as simple and accessible as possible, we have picked 
five topic areas and we are encouraging you lovely people to organize an 
event with one or more of them:

* Bugs – finding, triaging and fixing bugs.
* Testing – testing the new release and reporting your feedback.
* Documentation – writing documentation about how to use Ubuntu and how 
to join the community.
* Translations – translating Ubuntu and helping to make it available in 
everyone’s local language.
* Packaging – packaging software for Ubuntu users to install with a clock.

With five primary methods of getting involved, there is something for 
everyone in this rocking global event. In this event we are also adding 
an Upgrade theme too: upgrading to Lucid from Hardy or Karmic and 
reporting your upgrade experience.

One thing that we are keen on everyone remembering is: you don’t have to 
be an official developer, packager or programmer to take part in the 
Ubuntu Global Jam. Also, lets not forget that Ubuntu Global Jam events 
are a fantastic place to learn and improve your skills: you can sit next 
to someone who can show you how to do something or explain something in 
more detail. If this is all sounding right up your alley, and you fancy 
organizing an event, visit the following two links on the wiki.

* Jams: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Jams
* Global Jam Events: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGlobalJam/Events

Rock and roll: let’s make this one to remember. Start your engines, folks…

UPDATE: We have scheduled some regular meetings every two weeks in 
#ubuntu-meeting on Freenode to discuss the Ubuntu Global Jam, provide a 
place to ask questions and get together as a community to make the most 
out of the event and awareness of it. These meetings are on the Fridge 
Calendar: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/calendar

http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/02/01/lucid-ubuntu-global-jam-announced/

=== Project Awesome Opportunity ===

In the continued interests of making Ubuntu a rocking platform for 
opportunistic developers, today we formulated the plan for Project 
Awesome Opportunity. The goal is simple: build an opportunistic 
development workflow into Ubuntu. You will install one package from 
Universe and your Ubuntu will be hot-rodded for opportunistic 
application development, making development more fun and more accessible 
for a glorious itch scratching smackdown.

At the heart of the project is Ground Control by Martin Owens and 
Quickly by Rick Spencer and Didier Roche. Jono has been thinking about 
the challenges of how we build a great first incarnation of a platform 
optimized for opportunistic developers, and it struck him that we should 
divide the first set of tasks into three broad areas:

* Creating a Project – we need to help opportunistic developers ramp up 
as quickly as possible: they feel the itch and they are ready to scratch 
right away.

* Collaborating on a project – it should be really simple grab code, 
create a contribution and submit it to the project.

* Fixing a Bug – bugs are at the heart of software projects, and we 
should optimize the bug fixing process making it a doddle for 
opportunistic bug fixing developers to grab some code and make it work.

A key part of this workflow which Jono designed this week is the "Fixing 
a Bug" component, and this is something he is really passionate about 
the team trying to deliver in the Lucid time frame. This is not a formal 
project that his team is working on, this is something that he is 
focused on in his spare time and coordinating with Ground Control author 
and rock star, Martin Owens.

For this feature to flourish and for us to rock the socks off 
opportunistic developers everywhere, we are going to need your help, 
particularly with testing and where possible bug fixes. Here are the 
main ways in which you can help:

* Fixing Bugs – Martin is largely a one man band on this project and he 
needs help fixing Ground Control Bugs. If you are interesting in 
helping, see the bug list and get involved. He will love you and Jono 
will sing your praises.

* Testing – Testing is critical to this project. We have a tight 
timeframe on this, so we need you to help. How do you test? Simple, grab 
the daily PPA of Ground Control set up by the awesome Nathan Handler, 
test it and report bugs.

* Moral Support – Martin Owens is doctormo on Freenode. Ping him and 
tell him he is awesome. He and I hang out in #ubuntu-community-team: buy 
him a virtual beer.

So that is the goal. Let’s see if we can rock it and fire up more 
opportunistic developers. Get all the information at the link below.

http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/02/04/project-awesome-opportunity/

=== New Ubuntu Review Team: Reviewing bug with patches ===

* Ubuntu Review Team Wiki: http://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-reviewers

The Ubuntu Review Team has been created in an effort to address the 
volume of unfixed bugs with patches. Brian Murray has written a 
launchpadlib script that will subscribe the new team to any bugs with 
patches where the patch has been added after Feb. 1st. Depending on the 
throughput of that queue and the success of it, the team will then start 
subscribing to older patches. You can look over the bugs the team is 
currently subscribed to here: 
https://bugs.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-reviewers/+subscribedbugs

The team is also setup with a mailing list for receiving bug mail. By 
subscribing to the mailing list you will receive notification of these 
bugs with patches. The process for handling these bug reports is being 
documented (its a work in progress as we encounter different types of 
bugs) in the Ubuntu wiki.

* Mailing List: 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-patch-reviews
* Wiki: 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/CodeReviews#Prior%20to%20sponsoring

Please help to make Ubuntu even better by reviewing these patches and 
adding them to the proper queue for sponsoring!

http://www.murraytwins.com/blog/?p=64

=== Jane Silber Interview ===

Amber Graner's interview with Canonical's new CEO Jane Silber originally 
appeared in Full Circle Magazine and was added to The Fridge this week. 
Jane found some time during the transition COO to CEO to answer a few 
questions.

Jane discusses the joint goals of Canonical and Ubuntu as well as the 
individual goals noting that one of those common goals is making Ubuntu 
the most widely adopted free software platform.

She is asked about whether there is going to be a new R&D team lead by 
Mark Shutteworth since Shuttleworth will now be concentrating on product 
design and development. The short answer is no, but she does explain how 
the R&D process works within Canonical and Ubuntu.

Jane also talks about the transition from COO to CEO and what challenges 
there are? She notes in the interview that dramatic strategic change is 
not to be expected that she and Mark [Shuttleworth] are in agreement as 
to the current strategy.

In this interview Jane also discusses the following:

* From some cursory searches on the web in referencing women CEO’s for 
OSVs (operating system vendors) Amber could not find a long or readily 
available list of women, it would seem you are blazing a trail and 
raising the bar, how does that feel?

* Do you see yourself as a role model for other women not only in the 
Ubuntu Project but in Open Source as a whole?

* As a strong leader and role model within the Ubuntu Community do you 
now or have you ever participated in FOSS projects or groups 
specifically created to encourage women? If so can you tell us a little 
about them? If not can you elaborate on why?

* As the transition to CEO should be complete by March 1st , 2010, does 
this mean you will be announcing the -M name or will that still come 
from Mark? You will be opening UDS-M as the new CEO, have you thought 
about how you will inspire and encourage and keep the excitement and 
energy levels from undulating and remain steady and constant during UDS?

* At UDS-L Amber had the opportunity to interview Mark about Canonical’s 
enterprise strategy, what is your strategy? She asked him specially when 
he named 10.04, Lucid Lynx, referring to a clear-minded, thoughtful, 
predator. She now wonders if that describes you and your plan of 
execution in taking on the enterprise market with this LTS release?

To find out the answers to these questions and more visit The Fridge at: 
http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/1977

== Ubuntu Stats ==

=== Bug Stats ===

* Open (76455) +85 over last week
* Critical (38) -2 over last week
* Unconfirmed (39307) -89 over last week

As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started, 
please see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

=== Translation Stats Karmic ===

1. Spanish (10862) -133 over last week
2, French (41803) -465 over last week
3. Brazilian Portuguese (44495) -10 over last week
4. Swedish (65963) -46 over the last week
5. English (United Kingdom) (56551) -6719 over last week

Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala", see more 
at: https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/

=== Ubuntu Brainstorm Top 5 this week ===

* System should detect and prevent overheating - 
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/23534/
* Improve the file copy/move progress dialog - 
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/23567/
* No easy way to add menu programs to start at boot - 
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/23562/
* It is Often Difficult to Record Sound - 
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/23578/
* Keyboard can never lose focus from password field - 
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/23579/

Ubuntu Brainstorm is a community site geared toward letting you add your 
ideas for Ubuntu. You can submit your own idea, or vote for or against 
another idea. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

== LoCo News ==

=== Nicaraguan LoCo Team's Third Anniversary ===

José Ernesto can't hardly believe that the Nicaraguan Ubuntu LoCo Team 
is arriving to its third anniversary, and as celebration party we will 
be running a Hacklab at the Instituto de Informática y Sistemas of 
Monseñor Lezcano, Managua, the next Sunday, February the 7th starting at 
10:00 am.

At this moment, we have scheduled the following activities: Leandro 
Gómez will show us how he edit the POSOL with Audacity, Marcelo 
Gutiérrez will share some tips on installing an running Ubuntu 10.04 
Lucid Lynx Alpha 2, Luis Landero will talk about RAID-1 and I'll be 
showing Lernid and possibly testing it in Fedora with the help of 
Neville Cross, Nicaraguan Fedora Ambassador.

The POSOL team will be recording the fifth episode of the podcast during 
the event and there is a new section for the english speakers.

http://josernestodavila.blogspot.com/2010/02/nicaraguan-loco-teams-third-anniversary.html

== Launchpad News ==

=== Matthew Revell: Report on Launchpad down-time of 4th Feb 2010 ===

If you visited Launchpad between 13.30 and 15.30 UTC yesterday (4th 
Feb), you’ll have seen that Launchpad was largely unavailable.

Since then, I’ve spoken to quite a few people who use Launchpad 
regularly and I want to say thanks to everyone for your patience while 
we fixed the problem. As we all use Launchpad for our own development, 
we know just how painful unplanned down-time is and we’re sorry for the 
disruption to your work.

I’d like to explain what happened, how we fixed the problem and what 
we’re doing to avoid a similar situation in future.

As you’d probably expect, we run more than one database server for 
Launchpad. There are two master databases and then slaves, which are 
copies of the masters. The master databases replicate constantly to the 
slaves.

When Launchpad makes a read-only request, such as fetching the title and 
description of a bug report, we can reduce the load on the master 
databases by fetching that data from one of the slaves. However, to 
ensure the data you see is up to date, each time Launchpad is about to 
fetch data from the slave database, it checks how long it has been since 
the last replication from the relevant master database. If, for whatever 
reason, the replication wasn’t recent enough, Launchpad will instead 
grab the data from the master database.

Yesterday, it was this check that was taking far longer than expected 
and so causing the problems that you may have seen. We were able to 
implement a temporary fix, to bring Launchpad back online, by directing 
all database queries straight to the correct master.

In the longer-term, we’re going to overhaul the way that Launchpad 
checks the freshness of the data in the slave databases. Rather than 
checking each time a query is made, Launchpad will check once every so 
often and cache the result, meaning that this problem shouldn’t arise again.

Thanks again for your patience.

http://blog.launchpad.net/general/report-on-launchpad-down-time-of-4th-feb-2010

== The Planet ==

=== Shane Fagan: Indicator and me menu, lucid looking awesome ===

Ive been testing out lucid since a little before alpha 1 and all is well 
from what I can see. What landed recently was the me menu and I have say 
that its cool. I love the idea of posting to twitter on the fly from the 
desktop rather than waiting for Gwibber to load up(which takes a good 20 
secs on my machine). Oh and the new version of Gwibber from the daily 
ppa looks awesome. Some extra things to look forward to is the new 
indicators, an improved software center, Pitivi and the music store. I 
cant wait to try out the music store which should land alpha 3(ish) but 
what songs should I buy…? Screenshot of the "Me Menu" available at the 
link below.

http://shanefagan.com/2010/02/06/indicator-and-me-menu-lucid-looking-awesome/

=== Chuck Frain: Columbia Area Linux Users Group Feb 11th Featuring 
Jonathan Riddell and Justin Kirby ===

This coming Wednesday, February 11th is the next Columbia Area Linux 
Users Group meeting in Columbia, MD at the offices of Tenable Network 
Security.

Jonathan Riddell will be opening with his talk entitled “Kubuntu 
Community and Technology”. He will talk about the Linux distribution 
Kubuntu who makes it and the tools used.

Jonathan works for Canonical and started Kubuntu five years ago.

As long as Jonathan keeps to his contract and doesn’t do his Leno 
impression he’ll turn over speaker responsibilities to Justin Kirby*.

Justin will be presenting his talk “Making the leap from KDE user to 
contributor”. Justin will discuss simple ways for KDE users to become 
contributors, even without knowing a thing about developing code. His 
talk will provide specific details about various teams that exist within 
KDE, what you can do to help them out, and who to talk to if you have 
questions.

Justin Kirby is an active contributor to the KDE Promo team. He has been 
a user of KDE for about 3 years but more recently got actively involved 
in giving back to the community in July of 2009. You can learn more 
about the KDE Promo team on their wiki.

So join us at the Tenable offices at 6:30pm for pizza, wings and soda 
supplied by Praxis Engineering followed by the talks starting at 7pm.

http://www.chuckfrain.net/blog/2010/02/05/calug-feb-11-feat-riddell-and-kirby/

=== Melissa Draper: International Women’s Day Competition ===

There’s only something like 2 and half weeks left for the women of all 
ages in all parts our community to tell us how they discovered Ubuntu 
for the International Women’s Day Competition.

That means that you really ought to get a move on!

The process is easy:

1. Women and girls email us (address and rules in announcement) a 
description of how they discovered Ubuntu. Whether it was at school, 
work, from a partner or because they were sleep-computing and woke up to 
the sound of drums — whatever!
2. In just over 2 weeks time, we put up the stories and let the 
community vote for their favourite
3. On March 8th, the favourite is declared, and we make Jono earn his 
keep by announcing it and drawing the second surprise winner from a hat 
on his ustream channel or vidcast or whatever it is kids call that funky 
video stuff these days.
4. Two lucky ladies get a share of some loot that includes bags, 
tshirts, magazines, books and other fun stuff

Help spread the word by telling all the women you know who use Ubuntu 
and by hitting up digg and /.

http://www.geekosophical.net/?p=423

=== Sense Hodstede: Do something good for the world, adopt a package! ===

Have you always wanted to do something good for the world, but did you 
never know what to do? Here is your chance: adopt a package[1] and help 
making Ubuntu rock where you want it!

Every day a lot of new bugs are reported on Launchpad, adding to the 
number of open bugs reported against Ubuntu. Currently there are 81259 
open bugs in Ubuntu, of which 43775 are in the ‘New’ state. This means 
that roughly 54% of all open bugs in Ubuntu are not or were barely 
touched and when this post will have been published the number is 
already larger. When handling such large numbers of bug even the 
omnipotent BugSquad can’t keep up. How can we make sure the important 
bugs don’t get lost in this superabundance of support requests for 
writing good defect reports?

If you’re working with something — in the case of Adopt-a-Package an 
application — you like, you’re more productive. If you work on something 
you can keep an overview of, work is easier. This is what 
Adopt-a-Package purports. You choose an application you’re familiar 
with, or particularly fond of, and focus on getting it into shape on 
Launchpad. What does this mean? A small list:

* Triaging previously untriaged[2] — ‘New’ — bugs
* Making sure no bugs are forgotten
* Moving Confirmed bugs to Triaged[3]
* Forwarding bugs upstream[4]

There are several ways to tackle the adoption. If you would like to 
adopt something as big as GDM[1] you’ll have a hard time if you’d try to 
do it all on your own, unless you have a lot of spare time. In such 
cases it’s better to form an AdoptionTeam and attack the bugs together 
with some other people. Smaller applications like ‘gedit‘ can be handled 
by one person, although it largely depends on your personal preferences 
and the amount of time you’re able or willing to spend on triaging. Of 
course you could always look for an existing group to join. As a matter 
of fact, I’m still looking for some more people to help out with Nautilus.

Adopt-a-Package is thoroughly explained on its wiki page, and it is that 
page you should use as your primary source of information. On this page 
you find a list of currently adopted applications and applications that 
we’d really like to see adopted. When you decide to adopt an 
application, whether you do it with a group or on your own, please check 
this page first to make sure you’re not duplicating efforts. After 
you’ve made up your mind about what you’re going to adopt, please add 
your name and the application to the list and notify the BugSquad maillist.

Are you interested but still have got some questions now you’ve read 
this? Don’t hesitate to leave a comment or drop by in the #ubuntu-bugs 
IRC channel. Also, in March there will be two sessions about 
Adopt-an-Upstream in #ubuntu-classroom, one by me at 4 March on 17.00 
UTC and one by Jorge Castro at 18 March on 23.oo UTC. You can find them 
listed in the Ubuntu Classroom schedule.[5]

[1] - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad/AdoptPackage

[2] - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage#Untriaged%20bugs

[3] - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage#Confirmed%20bugs

[4] - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Bugs/HowToTriage#Forwarding%20upstream

[5] - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Classroom#Schedule

http://qense.nl/do-something-good-for-the-world-adopt-a-package

== In The Press ==

=== The Top 7 Best Linux Distributions for You ===

Brian Proffitt of Linux.com says that there are various approaches to 
answering the question of which Linux distribution is best. The broad 
answer is: "any of them," but that's not very helpful if you're just 
looking for a place to start. To help users discover the Linux 
distribution that's best for them, this resource will definitively list 
the best candidates for the various types of Linux users to try. The 
use-case categories will be:

* Best Desktop Distribution
* Best Laptop Distribution
* Best Enterprise Desktop
* Best Enterprise Server
* Best LiveCD
* Best Security-Enhanced Distribution
* Best Multimedia Distribution

Proffitt declares Ubuntu the Best Desktop Distribution because its 
development team is constantly focused on the end-user experience. 
Canonical and the Ubuntu community have spent a lot of time and 
resources on bringing ease-of-use tools to this distribution, 
particularly in the area of installing Ubuntu and installing 
applications within Ubuntu. Note: Ubuntu Studio won for Best Multimedia 
Distribution. Follow this link to see which distributions Proffitt 
ranked in the other categories.

http://www.linux.com/learn/docs/ldp/282996-choosing-the-best-linux-distributions-for-you

=== Ubuntu advances: Why Ubuntu server installations will surge in 2010 ===

IT World's James Gaskin notes that while desktop Ubuntu shines as the 
leader among Linux distributions, with analysts estimating their share 
up to 95 percent of the Linux desktop market, Ubuntu's server version 
lags. Expect huge advances in Ubuntu server installations during 2010 as 
a result of Ubuntu improvements, customer concern as SunOS comes under 
Oracle control, and restlessness among the Red Hat user base. Unlike 
Ubuntu server clients, Red Hat server clients must pay license fees, 
necessary because many applications remain Red Hat specific. Troy 
expects the Ubuntu server to make substantial advances attaining more 
application support and certifications. Follow this link for Gaskin's 
additional reasons why Ubuntu Server will surge in 2010.

http://www.itworld.com/operating-systems/94984/ubuntu-advances-why-ubuntu-server-installations-will-surge-2010

=== 10 Kernel Vulnerabilities in Ubuntu 6.06, 8.04, 8.10, 9.04 and 9.10 ===

Softpedia's Marius Nestor reports that Canonical announced the immediate 
availability of a new Linux kernel security update for the following 
Ubuntu distributions: 6.06 LTS (Dapper Drake), 8.04 LTS (Hardy Heron), 
8.10 (Intrepid Ibex), 9.04 (Jaunty Jackalope) and 9.10 (Karmic Koala). 
The update also applies to Kubuntu, Edubuntu and Xubuntu and it patches 
10 important security issues discovered in the Linux kernel packages by 
various hackers. Therefore, it is strongly recommended to update your 
system as soon as possible!

http://news.softpedia.com/news/10-Kernel-Vulnerabilities-in-Ubuntu-6-06-8-04-8-10-9-04-and-9-10-134162.shtml

=== OpenOffice dropped from Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.04 ===

Digitizor.com tells us that according to the latest Ubuntu Netbook Remix 
Blueprint, the Ubuntu community have decided to drop OpenOffice from the 
default installation of Ubuntu Netbook Edition for the upcoming Lucid 
Lynx release. For now, documents will be opened by default in Google 
Docs. The developers have been removing applications that are irrelevant 
on a netbook. While document editing is clearly a not irrelevant on a 
netbook, the developers feel that with netbooks being used mostly for 
internet related works, Google Docs will suffice.

http://digitizor.com/2010/02/05/openoffice-dropped-from-ubuntu-netbook-edition-10-04/

=== Dustin Kirkland Interview: Encryption in Ubuntu ===

Slo-Tech interviews Dustin Kirkland, is an Ubuntu Core Developer who is 
working for Canonical on the Ubuntu Server. Kirkland's current focus is 
developing the Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud for the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS release, 
but previously he has worked on a number of Ubuntu features and 
packages, including Ubuntu's Encrypted Home Directories. Kirkland is 
also the upstream maintainer of eCryptFS, the cryptographic filesystem 
used to provide Encrypted Home Directories. Slo-Tech talks to Kirkland 
about the design and inner workings of eCryptFS, and touches briefly on 
Ubuntu One. Click on the following link to read the interview.

https://slo-tech.com/clanki/10008en/

== In The Blogosphere ==

=== Help The 'Ubuntu Welcome Tour' Project ===

OMG!Ubuntu, discusses the "Ubuntu Welcome Tour' Project. This article 
takes note of how the idea for a "Welcome Tour" with an introduction and 
orientation became stalled. It is noted that there is an "introduction" 
to Ubuntu that plays during the installation. OMG!Ubuntu points out that 
Ubuntu User Brian Voidal believes that that and an interactive desk top 
tour is an idea worth reconsidering and has begun creating a framework 
for a "tour". To gain perspective on why this is important, readers are 
asked to "Put yourself in the position of someone who has just booted up 
Ubuntu for the first time." It's about making users feel more 
comfortable. According to OMG!Ubuntu, "The idea is a sound one, and if 
you'd like to help Brian Vidal is looking for help."

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/02/help-ubuntu-welcome-tour-project.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+d0od+(Omg!+Ubuntu!)

=== Ubuntu Lucid "Aero" style* GTK postponed to Lucid+1 ===

OMG!Ubuntu article in Dec. '09 reported on "a super-duper enhanced 
version of GTK+ that adds RGBA support (think Windows Aero) and client 
side window decoration," being added to Lucid. In this article they give 
us the update: all this awesomeness is being postponed to Lucid +1. 
OMG!Ubuntu notes that "This isn't really a great surprise as there were 
many applications that wouldn't play nice, bugs were spouting out here 
and there and, lets face it, Lucid is all about the stability factor"

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/02/ubuntu-lucid-aero-style-gtk-posponed-to.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+d0od+(Omg!+Ubuntu!)

=== Canonical picks open-source leader for COO ===

Computerworld Blogger, Steven J. Vaugh-Nichols, talks about Matt Asay 
being announced as the new Canonical COO. Vaugh-Nichols writes "As the 
COO, Asay's job will be make sure operational activities match up to the 
company's strategic goals and make sure that day-to-day operations go 
smoothly. He will also head up Canonical's marketing." He also point's 
out that, "Asay is extremely well known and respected in open-source 
business and technology circles." With references to how great a fit 
Asay will be to Canonial and the Ubuntu Vaugh-Nichols states, "I agree. 
I think Asay will help Canonical a great deal. He has the knowledge, 
expertise and energy that's needed to take Ubuntu from being the darling 
of Linux fans to also being a popular business operating system choice."

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15546/canonical_picks_open_source_leader_for_coo

== Meeting Summaries: January 2010 ==

=== Ubuntu Governance ===

==== Community Council ====

* 2010-01-19 meeting

* no agenda item for 11 UTC meeting

* Daniel decided to take the wiki licensing item off the agenda as he 
can almost never make the 21 UTC time and to discuss the agenda item 
with mdke over email.

* Developer membership couldn't be discussed because the DMB election is 
not closed yet.

* ~universe-contributors is not administered by the CC, so the decision 
was moved to the TB

==== Developer Membership Board ====

* Developer Membership Board meeting, 2009-01-05

* Chair: Matt Zimmerman

* Review action items from previous meeting

* mdz to drive election for DMB, based on existing members of TB and MC

* voting is in progress now

* persia very much appreciated the second call for votes: something 
rarely seen in these polls.

* 77 votes cast out of 146 eligible voters

* the vote will end in 13 days, 2009-01-18

* mdz noted that there was not much guidance available on how to conduct 
the election, some aspects had to be made up as he went (possible 
Community Council topic)

* MOTU direction (ScottK, cjwatson)

* No progress since the previous meeting

* [ACTION] ScottK+cjwatson to pull joint fingers out and write up proposal

* Next meeting

* The next meeting will be conducted by the new DMB, based on the 
outcome of the election

* cjwatson and pitti agreed to attend that meeting for continuity

==== IRC Council ====

* IRC Council Meeting 2010-01-31

* Revisit #ubuntu-ops policies including 'no idling' & +v

* Will discuss further on public mailing list

* Should the IRCC members be direct members of ~ubuntu-core-ircops and 
named channel operators?

* 0 for, 4 against, 0 abstained. Total: -4

* Discussed IRCC Charter: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/IrcCouncil

* Pending CC approval, the following changes were agreed upon:

* Decisions will be made when a majority of the seated council is in 
agreement

* 4 for, 0 against, 0 abstained. Total: 4

* The Council will have a chairman with a casting vote, elected by the 
IRC Council every year

* 4 for, 0 against, 0 abstained. Total: 4

* Discussed formal Operator Requirements: 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/IrcTeam/OperatorRequirements

* Accept the current operator reuirements and probation docs. We will 
formally review in 4 months

* 4 for, 0 against, 0 abstained. Total: 4

==== MOTU Council ====

* 2010-01-08 Meeting:

* Charlie Smotherman (porthose) was approved as a MOTU.

* Ilya Barygin (randomaction) was approved as a MOTU.

* 2010-01-21 MC Call

* Pending term ends and future of the MC

* Four of the seven members of MC have terms expiring by the end of the 
month

* The DMB has not yet heard, or taken decision on 
UbuntuSpec:community-lucid-motu

* It would be difficult to hold an election for roles that are currently 
undefined, and may have no meaning

* In light of the current uncertainty, the MOTU Council has resolved (4 
votes in favour, 3 abstaining) to cease activities when these terms expire.

* If the DMB determines that there is a need for a MOTU Council, and 
delegates the selection of membership in that MOTU Council to the 
current MOTU Council, a new selection process will be undertaken to fill 
the outstanding 4 seats.

* Potential future (or lack thereof) of MOTU Council

* To better inform the DMB in the decision process, the MOTU Council 
will present arguments both for and against continuation of MOTU Council

==== Technical Board ====

* Technical Board meeting, 2010-01-12 (chair cjwatson)

* Prior action review, leaves the following still to do:

* [ACTION] kees to follow up with Debian TC on units policy

* [ACTION] cjwatson to follow up with mythbuntu-dev to get

ubuntu-core-dev added

* [ACTION] ScottK to update Kubuntu/UpdatesPolicy based on Kubuntu

upstream feedback (cf.

http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Minor_Point_Release_Policy/Draft)

* [ACTION] sabdfl to propose to CC that the TB is a CC delegate, and

clarify his role

* Units Policy

* We discussed briefly whether to recommend that developers go ahead

with implementation in advance of feedback from the Debian TC. The

majority of the board preferred to wait for at least a while, since

we've requested feedback and should wait for it, and since the

benefit may not outweigh the cost of carrying another stack of

patches.

* Check back on status next meeting.

* When is it a good idea to fail out of a maintainer script?

(MattZimmerman)

* While there is loose agreement that "something ought to be done"

about this, the technical options are not yet clear enough to decide

something at the TB level. Shelving for the moment; mdz will bring

this up on ubuntu-devel if and when he gets the chance to put

together some detailed options.

* Execute Permission Policy (KeesCook)

* After some discussion, the TB ratified this policy

(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SecurityTeam/Policies#Execute-Permission%20Bit%20Required)

conditional on detailed feedback from the desktop team, including

the unresolved question of what happens to existing handlers on

upgrade. Mark's +1 was on the condition that we will have time to

iterate implementation before Lucid or pull it entirely if it

doesn't work out.

* Check up on community bugs (standing item)

* The only item already has an associated action.

* Next meeting is 2010-01-26. Chair: Keybuk

* Technical Board meeting, 2010-01-26 (chair kees)

* Prior action review, leaves the following still to do:

* [ACTION] ScottK to update Kubuntu/UpdatesPolicy based on Kubuntu

upstream feedback (cf.

http://techbase.kde.org/Policies/Minor_Point_Release_Policy/Draft)

* [ACTION] sabdfl to propose to CC that the TB is a CC delegate, and

clarify his role

* Archive reorganisation (cjwatson)

* persia mentioned that he handled "Update Ubuntu developer and process 
documentation to reflect changes" task

* [ACTION] persia to update documentation with anything discovered to be 
missing

* Kubuntu/UpdatesPolicy

* still waiting on Kubuntu upstream

* Units Policy

* waiting to hear back from Debian TC

* Check up on community bugs (standing item)

* Waiting on update from sabdfl.

* Next meeting is 2010-02-09. Chair: Keybuk

=== Ubuntu Development Teams ===

==== Xubuntu Team ====

Xubuntu team report for January, 2010

This has been our best month ever.

===== Documentation =====

* Jim has begun work on Xubuntu docs, ported off of Ubuntu docs. The bzr 
branch is located here 
(https://code.launchpad.net/~jwcampbell/xubuntu-docs/lucid-experimental), 
and will be merged to the current Xubuntu doc branch once stable. 
Conservatively, this will be ready within the next two weeks.

* Once that is done, Jim will need help from Pasi to work on the CSS 
theming and the landing page.

===== Team Governance =====

* The team met in early January to discuss team governance. A detailed 
framework was established, but it is not yet finalized. This will 
require follow-up.

===== General =====

* The team continue on with the most successful cycle yet. Images are 
available for both the Freescale iMX51 and Marvell Dove platforms and 
Lucid is proving to be a decisive release for the mobile teams ARM efforts.

===== Images =====

* The Freescale iMX51 image is in great shape although it is still 
missing the new 2D based netbook-launcher-efl UI, but this is expected 
to land very soon. Sadly, the same cannot be said for the Marvell Dove 
image. The archive rebuild to gain ARM optimisations has triggered 
complications and the team continue to search for solutions.

* The fail to build package list was a focus of much attention this 
month and is now in great shape. ARM specific breakage is minimal.

* The team continued to welcome kernel patches by vendors to improve our 
kernel images with positive results.

===== Blueprint Work =====

* There was work on the live-cd slowness issues. Jamie Bennett's 
(JamieBennett) investigative work and early code looked promising 
although the complete solution was not ready yet. Parallel to this 
ongoing work with kernel patches and general tiding-up helped to produce 
a much more pleasant boot process on ARM hardware.

* A major change to ARM images this cycle is the inclusion of a 2D 
Ubuntu Netbook Edition styled UI. Based on the Enlightenment Foundation 
Libraries (http://www.enlightenment.org), work was needed to bring 
several packages into main to meet the dependency issues of canonical's 
EFL implementation. At times stalling, issues have now been resolved and 
we should see the default seed change shortly.

* The archive rebuild to enable Thumb2 has been a mixed blessing. iMX51 
images have gained improved performance whilst dove images have at times 
been completely unusable. This month has seen lots of work trying to 
resolve issues but unfortunately there is no conclusion as yet.

* This month also saw Google's Chrome browser building and pleasing most 
who had hardware to benchmark it. It seems much faster than any of the 
other browser offerings at this time. Thanks should be directed to 
Alexander Sack (asac) for his efforts.

* Ubuntu's community offering for mobile devices, Ubuntu Liquid, saw 
renewed effort. The team worked closely with the community to help 
progress this along with the hope that alpha-3 will bring solid results.

* To complete the improvement in images, Paul Larson's (plars) work on 
improved test methods was contributing to increased test coverage and it 
is hoped that the final image will be the most tested yet.

===== Summary =====

* The team is enjoying a positive and fruitful cycle so far but there is 
a realisation that much work it yet to be done. There is also a looming 
issue with archive optimisations that have somehow adversely effected 
the Marvell Dove platform and a thought that if this cannot be resolved, 
drastic actions may be need. This takes the gloss off the month's work a 
little but optimism that a solution can be found is still prevalent.

=== Ubuntu LoCo Teams ===

==== Catalan Team ====

* January 3rd: meeting with Rubén Romero, from Nicaragua LoCo Team in 
Barcelona.

* January 10th: new Launchpad team for organization of LoCo activities: 
ubuntu.cat-org.

* January 16th: LoCo meeting. Decided the placement for the next release 
party: València.

* January 23rd: Install party at Germinal cooperative in Barcelona.

* January 30th: install party at the Library in Caldes de Montbuï.

==== Colombian Team ====

* 4 jan. : The Ubuntu-co concilio finally is finding its track Meeting 
Report (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Colombianteam/Concilio/Reuniones/01-04-2010)

* 6 jan. : One of the majors newspapers in colombia publishes the 
release of Karmic Koala as one of the greatest moments on the year!! 
IngForigua 
(http://static.elespectador.com/especiales/2009/12/adbe52b4b0f8479b95557b16c828a300/m11.html).

* 18 jan. : Ubuntu-co Council meeting. 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ColombianTeam/Concilio/Reuniones/01-18-2010

* 21 jan. : One more Ubuntu Member for our LoCo Team. 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-co/2010-January/020907.html 
We've got six members now. Congrats SergioMeneses

* 23 Jan. : About half of Ubuntu User Days (spanish version) Instructors 
where from our LoCo Team. It was an incredible experience bringing 
Ubuntu to the masses. A big thanks to MagicFab, 
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ingforigua), SergioMeneses and AndresMujica. 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-co/2010-January/020911.html 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DiaDelUsuarioUbuntu

==== Czech Team ====

* Team Leader election - new leader is again VojtěchTrefný, congrats

* Plans for Global Jam (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuGlobalJam) - this 
time perhaps live in Prague and Brno

* Marketing - new Czech posters: 1 
(http://sdruzeni.ubuntu.cz/files/karty_pred.zmenena-velikost.png), 2 
(http://sdruzeni.ubuntu.cz/files/plagat.png), 3 
(http://sdruzeni.ubuntu.cz/files/plagat2.png) (thanks to Alois Hybl and 
Roman Matyus)

* Meetings

* Live Meeting in Prague (16th January) - only ten participants :(

* Live meeting in Pardubice (5th February)

==== Danish Team ====

* Started planning the danish release party for 10.04.

* Will most likely be a 2-day event, the largest the DanishTeam have had 
so far.

* Discussing a "release camp" after each release, where we will meet 
in-person, and discus our planned activities until next release.

* Started updating our organization's guidelines.

==== Ecuador Team ====

* First Community foryour 2010.

* We support the initiation of the nascent Ecuador Debian community.

* Meeting for create a subdistro called "MINGA" based on Edubuntu, for 
Ecuadorian education.

==== Irish Team ====

* Our first Ubuntu Hour took place on the 6th of January at 6pm at the 
Trinity Capital Hotel bar (http://www.trinitycapitalhotel.com/ ).

* Regular Monthly IRC Meeting 
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam/IRCMeetings/2010-01-13) was held at 
8pm Irish time on Wednesday 13th January 2010.

* We loved Ubuntu Hour so much we had another one on the 27th of January 
at 6pm at the Trinity Capital Hotel bar 
(http://www.trinitycapitalhotel.com/ ).

* The qtonrails (http://github.com/theirishpenguin/qtonrails) project 
reached a milestone where it is possible to generate a simple Qt 
Application based on a Ruby on Rails. Still very much WIP.

==== Japanese Team ====

* The serial story on ascii.jp "Ittoke! Ubuntu !DoJo!" runs this year.

* http://ascii.jp/elem/000/000/435/435813/

* The serial articles on gihyo.jp "Ubuntu Weekly Recipe" and "Ubuntu 
Weekly Topics" run this year.

* http://gihyo.jp/admin/serial/01/ubuntu-recipe

* http://gihyo.jp/admin/clip/01/ubuntu-topics

* We started to advise Minoo City, Osaka prefecture to deploy Ubuntu 
LTSP environment in teachers' room in public schools.

==== Philippine Team ====

* Representatives of the team attended the First North Luzon FOSS 
Conference held at Baguio City, Philippines on January 18 and 19

* http://www.ubaguio.edu/norlufosscon

* First General Meeting for 2010

* Meeting Log (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PhilippineTeam/MeetingLogs/20100129 )

==== Russian Team ====

===== Translations =====

* Russian Fullcircle Magazine issues #28 and #31 published on-line 
(http://ubuntu.ru/fullcircle).

===== Resources =====

* Many fixes, printable PDF version (http://help.ubuntu.ru/manual/pdf) 
and LP project page (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu-russian-guide/) for 
Ubuntu Beginners Manual (http://help.ubuntu.ru/manual).

===== Kuban Team =====

* We are distributing Ubuntu 9.10 and 8.04.4 LTS as well as repositories 
for Ubuntu 8.04.4 LTS.

* We had continued preparations for the project 
(http://kub-ubuntu.beneficium.ru/forum/index.php?board=21.0) of typical 
automated information management system for business (SMB) based on 
Ubuntu LTS distributions.

==== United States Teams ====

===== US Teams Project =====

* Held team meeting on January 13th

* Came up with proposal for Interviewing approved US LoCos 
(https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-us/2010-January/000556.html) 
for ubuntu-us.org (http://ubuntu-us.org)

* Created Articles (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/USTeams/Articles) page for 
ubuntu-us.org (http://ubuntu-us.org) article ideas

* Added two new mentors to the team

* Charles Profitt (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/cprofitt)

* Paul Tagliamonte (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Paultag)

===== California Team =====

* IRC meetings on January 10th 
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/10January10) and 
January 24th 
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/10January24) with 
discussion of the upcoming SCaLE 8x 
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/Scale8x) and Ubucon 
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Projects/SCUbucon2010), CampKDE, 
and IRC channel naming.

* Ubuntu California members handed out pressed Kubuntu CDs at CampKDE 
(http://camp.kde.org/) in San Diego.

===== Chicago Team =====

* January 17: Ubuntu Doc Jam - Worked on Ubuntu, Xubuntu, and Kubuntu 
docs, as well as wiki documentation (nixternal blog post 
(http://blog.nixternal.com/2010.01.15/doc-jam-chicago-style/))

* Begin working on a new website: http://ubuntu-chicago.org/

* Organize monthly IRC team meetings 
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ChicagoTeam/Meetings)

* Create chiLoCo-wallpapers 
(https://code.launchpad.net/~ubuntu-chicago/+junk/chiLoCo-wallpapers)

===== District of Columbia Team =====

* Held meeting to discuss the following:

* cleaning up Flickr (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DistrictOfColumbiaTeam) 
wiki pages

* adding LoCo pictures to 
(http://www.flickr.com/photos/crimsun/sets/72157623317037372/)

* Holding Bug Jam's before weekly meetings

* importing identi.ca streams to the dc LoCoteam wiki page

* getting interested members to sign up on spreadubuntu 
(http://spreadubuntu.neomenlo.org)

* changed IRC channel to #ubuntu-us-dc

* holding KDE 4.4 release party

* added our ubuntu hour to wiki page

* Meetings are now held weekly every saturday at 18:00 local time in 
#ubuntu-us-dc

* Ubuntu hour with a bug jam at Taste Of India (http://toidc.com/) at 
16:00 local time every week until the 18:00 meeting.

* There will be a KDE 4.4 release party Here 
(http://community.kde.org/Promo/ReleaseParties/4.4#Washington.2C_DC_.28Metro.29)

===== FloridaTeam =====

* Ubuntu Hour Orlando - January (11,18,25) 2010

* January 22, 2010 First Spacecoast Linux & OSS Meetup - 
http://www.meetup.com/Spacecoast-Linux/

* January 23, 2010 Tampa Linux & OSS Meetup Installfest - 
http://picasaweb.google.com/mhall119/Installfest

* January 23, 2010 Ubuntu User Day Ubuntu Hours 
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaunchpadHome:chrisjohnston) (coordinating), 
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaunchpadHome:mhall119) & 
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaunchpadHome:jamalta) (teaching)

* January 29, 2010 Tampa Linux & OSS Meetup Ubuntu Hour

===== New York State Team =====

.:Events:.

* 20100112 7pm - 9pm cprofitt gave a hands-on how-to demonstration of 
GIMP RCSI - Rochester Computer Society

* 20100107 7pm - 9pm cprofitt gave a hands-on how-to demonstration of 
GIMP Barnes and Noble @ RIT

===== North Carolina Team =====

* Held (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Hour ) in Asheville and Winston-Salem

* Team meetings to discuss remaining steps to becoming an approved team 
and establishing a team council

* January 5, 2010 
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NorthCarolinaTeam/Meeting/2010-01-05 )

* January 19, 2010 
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NorthCarolinaTeam/Meeting/2010-01-19 )

=== Ubuntu Beginners Team ===

* Ubuntu Beginners Team Meeting 2010-01-05 
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/Meetings/20100105)

* Channel movements -

* #ubuntu-beginners-help was redirected to #ubuntu-beginners

* #ubuntu-beginners-team was created for team discussions

* ##cabaret was for off-topic chat

* Roadmap - duanedesign had been working on that and created a wiki page 
- currently at their sandbox duanedesigns' sandbox 
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/duanedesign/sandbox)

* Userdays took place at the end of the month with collabaration with 
members of UBT Chris Johnston (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDays)

* Votes - excluding channel votes summarized above

* It was agreed to keep the Stalker Focus Group

* It was agreed to decide new leads at the next meeting

* It was agreed to use Launchpad as official member list for FGs and 
remove wiki lists.

* Logging of main channel was postponed for more discussion in light of 
the channel changes

* It was not agreed to unvoice members of the beginners team in 
#ubuntu-beginners

* (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ChristopherJohnston) joined the Ubuntu 
Beginners Team.

* ikt (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ikt) joined the Ubuntu Beginners Team.

=== Ubuntu Women Team ===

* Team meeting on January 7th 
(http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Meetings/20100107)

* Team meeting on January 21st 
(http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Meetings/20100121)

* Announced International Women's Day Competition 
(https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2010-January/002406.html)

* Interviews Series (http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Interviews) for Full 
Circle Magazine published Issue 33 
(http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-33/) with interview of Jane Silber

* Amber Graner appointed as team lead 
(https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2010-January/002422.html)

* Melissa Draper spearheaded and implemented new layout for team wiki 
(https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-women/2010-January/002357.html)

=== Ubuntu Community Learning Project ===

* Project meeting on January 14th

* Details 
(https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-learning/2010-January/000106.html)

* Action Items 
(https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-learning/2010-January/000107.html)

* Work with Ubuntu User Day (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Classroom) on first 
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDays) on January 23rd

* Course Assignment, Layout and Development documented 
(https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-learning/2010-January/000118.html)

* Assignment (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Learning/CourseAssignment)

* Layout (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Learning/CourseLayout)

* Development (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Learning/CourseDevelopment)

== Upcoming Meetings and Events ==

=== Monday, February 8, 2010 ===

==== Security Team Catch-up ====

* Start: 18:00 UTC
* End: 18:30 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: nothing formal, just a weekly catch-up.

=== Tuesday, February 9, 2010 ===

==== Ubuntu Mobile Team Meeting ====

* Start: 13:00 UTC
* End: 14:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Meeting

==== Technical Board Meeting ====

* Start: 15:00 UTC
* End: 16:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: None listed as of publication

==== Desktop Team Meeting ====

* Start: 16:30 UTC
* End: 17:30 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-desktop
* Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting

==== Kernel Team Meeting ====

* Start: 17:00 UTC
* End: 18:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: Not listed as of publication

==== Global Jam Meeting ====

* Start: 20:00 UTC
* End: 21:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: Not listed as of publication

=== Wednesday, February 10, 2010 ===

==== Server Team Meeting ====

* Start: 14:00 UTC
* End: 15:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting

==== Foundation Team Meeting ====

* Start: 16:00 UTC
* End: 17:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: None listed as of publication

==== QA Team Meeting ====

* Start: 17:00 UTC
* End: 18:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Meetings/

==== Edubuntu Meeting ====

* Start: 19:00 UTC
* End: 20:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Edubuntu/Meetings/Agenda

=== Thursday, February 11, 2010 ===

==== Ubuntu Java Meeting ====

* Start: 14:00 UTC
* End: 15:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: None listed as of publication

==== Ubuntu Mozilla Team ====

* Start: 16:00 UTC
* End: 17:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MozillaTeam/Meetings

=== Friday, February 12, 2010 ===

==== MC Meeting ====

* Start: 07:00 UTC
* End: 08:00 UTC
* Location: None listed as of publication
* Agenda: None listed as of publication

==== Lucid Weekly Release Meeting ====

* Start: 16:00 UTC
* End: 17:30 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam/Meeting/2010-02-12

=== Saturday, February 13, 2010 ===

==== Ubuntu IRC Council Meeting ====

* Start: 20:00 UTC
* End: 21:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrcTeam/IrcCouncil/MeetingAgenda

==== BugJam ====

* Start: 21:00 UTC
* End: 23:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-us-dc and IRC channel #ubuntu-bugs
* Agenda: None listed as of publication

==== DC Loco IRC meeting ====

* Start: 23:00 UTC
* End: 24:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-us-dc
* Agenda: None listed as of publication

=== Sunday, February 14, 2010 ===

* None listed as of publication

== Updates and Security for 6.06, 8.04, 8.10, 9.04 and 9.10 ==

=== Security Updates ===

* USN-891-1: lintian vulnerabilities- http://www.ubuntu.com//usn/USN-891-1
* USN-893-1: Samba vulnerability- http://www.ubuntu.com//usn/USN-893-1
* USN-803-2: Dhcp vulnerability- http://www.ubuntu.com//usn/USN-803-2
* USN-892-1: FUSE vulnerability- http://www.ubuntu.com//usn/USN-892-1
* USN-894-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities- 
http://www.ubuntu.com//usn/USN-894-1

=== Ubuntu 6.06 Updates ===

* USN-894-1: Linux kernel vulnerabilities- 
http://www.ubuntu.com//usn/USN-894-1

=== Ubuntu 8.04 Updates ===

* 
ircd-hybrid_7.2.2.dfsg.2-3+etch1build0.8.04.1_ia64_translations.tar.gz- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2010-February/012381.html
* linux-backports-modules-2.6.24 (delayed)- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2010-February/012382.html
* linux-ubuntu-modules-2.6.24- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2010-February/012383.html
* linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2010-February/012384.html
* linux-meta- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2010-February/012385.html

=== Ubuntu 8.10 Updates ===

* 
ircd-hybrid_7.2.2.dfsg.2-4+lenny1build0.8.10.1_ia64_translations.tar.gz- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/intrepid-changes/2010-February/009829.html
* maildrop- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/intrepid-changes/2010-February/009830.html
* linux-backports-modules-2.6.27 (delayed)- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/intrepid-changes/2010-February/009831.html
* linux-restricted-modules- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/intrepid-changes/2010-February/009832.html
* linux (delayed)- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/intrepid-changes/2010-February/009833.html
* linux-meta- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/intrepid-changes/2010-February/009834.html

=== Ubuntu 9.04 Updates ===

* maildrop- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2010-February/009993.html
* linux-backports-modules-2.6.28- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2010-February/009994.html
* linux-restricted-modules- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2010-February/009995.html
* linux (delayed)- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2010-February/009996.html
* linux-meta- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2010-February/009997.html

=== Ubuntu 9.10 Updates ===

* maildrop- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-February/012215.html
* foomatic-filters 4.0.3-0ubuntu2.1 - 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-February/012216.html
* metacity 1:2.28.0-0ubuntu2 - 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-February/012217.html
* linux-backports-modules-2.6.31 (delayed)- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-February/012218.html
* linux-mvl-dove (delayed)- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-February/012219.html
* linux-fsl-imx51- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-February/012220.html
* linux-ec2 (delayed)- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-February/012221.html
* linux-ports-meta (delayed)- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-February/012222.html
* linux-meta-mvl-dove- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-February/012223.html
* linux-meta-fsl-imx51- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-February/012224.html
* linux-meta-ec2 (delayed)- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-February/012225.html
* linux-meta- 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2010-February/012226.html

== Subscribe ==

Get your copy of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter delivered each week to you 
via email at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-news

== Archives and RSS Feed ==

You can always find older Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter issues at: 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter

You can subscribe to the Ubuntu Weekly News via RSS at:
http://fridge.ubuntu.com/uwn/feed

== Additional Ubuntu News ==

As always you can find more news and announcements at:

http://www.ubuntu.com/news

and

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/

== Conclusion ==

Thank you for reading the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter.

See you next week!

== Credits ==

The Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter is brought to you by:

* John Crawford
* Craig A. Eddy
* Dave Bush
* Liraz Siri
* Amber Graner
* J. Scott Gwin
* Nathan Handler
* And many others

== Glossary of Terms ==

1. GDM - GNOME Display Manager.

Other acronyms can be found at 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/glossary

== Ubuntu - Get Involved ==

The Ubuntu community consists of individuals and teams, working on 
different aspects of the distribution, giving advice and technical 
support, and helping to promote Ubuntu to a wider audience. No 
contribution is too small, and anyone can help. It's your chance to get 
in on all the community fun associated with developing and promoting 
Ubuntu. http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate

== Feedback ==

This document is maintained by the Ubuntu Weekly News Team. If you have 
a story idea or suggestions for the Weekly Newsletter, join the Ubuntu 
News Team mailing list at 
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-news-team and submit 
it. Ideas can also be added to the wiki at 
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Ideas. If you'd like to 
contribute to a future issue of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, please 
feel free to edit the appropriate wiki page. If you have any technical 
support questions, please send them to ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com.

Except where otherwise noted, content in this issue is licensed under a 
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License 
http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/



More information about the ubuntu-news mailing list