Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #206

Amber Graner akgraner at ubuntu.com
Tue Aug 17 20:57:21 BST 2010

Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue 206 for the week August
8th - August 14th, 2010.

== Links to Issue 206 ==

 * Link to the Issue 206 Wiki Page -
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Issue206

 * Link to Issue 206 PDF -
http://people.ubuntu.com/~akgraner/UWN%20PDF%20Issues/Ubuntu_Weekly_Newsletter_Issue_206.pdf

== In This Issue ==

* Ubuntu Global Jam: We Need Your Events!
 * Feature Freeze in place for Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat)
 * Making Ubuntu More Accessible
 * Talking about Ubuntu Studio with Scott Lavender, Project Lead for
Ubuntu Studio
 * Another Heated Discussion In the Ubuntu Community
 * Ubuntu Stats
 * LoCo News
 * Launchpad News
 * This week In Design – 13 August 2010
 * Finding The Ubuntu Font Design
 * How are your users feeling? Example from Rhythmbox
 * An Update to the Ubuntu Light Themes
 * Awesome Work Others Have Done
 * Hugs For Bugs!
 * Can We Count Users Without Uniquely Identifying Them?
 * Revving up the Ubuntu Manual Project for Maverick
 * Behind MOTU Relaunches As Behind The Circle
 * In The Press
 * In The Blogosphere
 * Linux Foundation Makes Enterprise Open Source Boring
 * KDE's New Releases Make a Splash
 * LinuxCon Grapples With Challenges, From Mobile To Multicore
 * Fotoxx -- the Greatest Little Linux Photo Editor You've Never Heard Of
 * Zenoss Releases 2010 Open Source Systems Management Survey Report
 * Weekly Ubuntu Development Team Meetings
 * Upcoming Meetings and Events
 * Updates and Security
 * UWN Sneak Peak
 * And Much Much More!

== General Community News ==

=== Ubuntu Global Jam: We Need Your Events! ===

Are you good folks aware of what is happening on 27th – 29th August
2010. But of course, it is the Ubuntu Global Jam!

In the last few cycles we have organized and run an event called the
Ubuntu Global Jam. The idea was simple: encourage our awesome global
Ubuntu community to get together in the same room to work on bugs,
translations, documentation, testing and more. And they did, all over
the world, as can be seen here.

One thing that I am keen that everyone remembers: you don’t have to be
an official developer, packager or programmer to take part in the
Ubuntu Global Jam. Also, lets not forget that Ubuntu Global Jam events
are a fantastic place to learn and improve your skills: you can sit
next to someone who can show you how to do something or explain
something in more detail.

If this is all sounding right up your street and you fancy organizing
an event, go and read this page and then add your event to the LoCo
Directory by following these instructions.
Rock and roll: let’s make this one to remember. Start your engines, folks…

For more information go to:

http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/08/10/ubuntu-global-jam-we-need-your-events-2/

=== Feature Freeze in place for Ubuntu 10.10 (Maverick Meerkat) ===

The Feature Freeze is now in effect for Maverick. The focus from here
until release is on fixing bugs and polishing.

If you believe that a new package, a new upstream version of a
package, or a new feature is needed for the release and will not
introduce more problems than it fixes, please follow the Freeze
Exception Process by filing bugs and subscribing ubuntu-release.
Please also make sure that specs assigned to you for Maverick are
updated to their current status (which should be at least Beta
Available if not Deferred, or unless granted a freeze exception).

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/

Our next testing milestone, Maverick Beta, is in 3 weeks (September
2). The list of bugs targeted for beta can be found at:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/maverick/+bugs?field.milestone=27563

For more information got to:

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/2100

=== Making Ubuntu More Accessible ===

Jono Bacon talks to Penelope Stowe about the making Ubuntu more accessible.

Jono notes, I had a great call Penelope Stowe who has been leading
some excellent efforts with the Ubuntu Accessibility Team in
conjunction with the (quite literally) always rocking Luke ‘The Muso’
Yelavich.

The reason for the call was simple: I felt like I didn’t have enough
knowledge or visibility of the Ubuntu Accessibility Team and
accessibility in general, and when Ubuntu was started, the project
made a firm commitment to the core aspects of freedom such as freedom
of access to the technology, the freedom to have Ubuntu in your
language, and the freedom to experience Ubuntu in an accessible way.
Penelope, Luke and others are passionate about bringing the focus back
to accessibility more, and I wanted to echo this important ambition
here.

Want to find out more about what the Accessibilty Team goal's are? Go to:

http://www.jonobacon.org/2010/08/07/making-ubuntu-more-accessible/

=== Talking about Ubuntu Studio with Scott Lavender, Project Lead for
Ubuntu Studio ===

Have you ever wanted to know more about some of the Ubuntu derivative
distributions? In this interview we look at Ubuntu Studio with Scott
Lavender Ubuntu Member and Project Lead for the Ubuntu Studio Project.

Want to know more information about Ubuntu Studio go to:

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/2099

=== Another Heated Discussion In the Ubuntu Community ===

A post by Benjamin Humphrey on the OMG!Ubuntu! site on August 7th,
2010 sparked a fire and flames across the community.

The post was titled, "Dude, You're a 35 Year Old With a Neck Beard"
and can be found at
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/08/dude-youre-35-year-old-with-neck-beard.html

Who is Benjamin Humphrey?  According to the OMG!Ubuntu! site is the
founder and leader of the Ubuntu Manual Project, an Ubuntu member, and
was sponsored by Canonical to attend the Ubuntu Developers Summit for
the Maverick release earlier this year.  He is also one of the
personalities behind OMG!Ubuntu!

This posts prompted 100s of comments and discussion through the community.

It also prompted this tweet by Jono Bacon - "To be clear, folks, I am
looking into the OMG!Ubuntu issue, and remember, it is *not*
officially representative of Ubuntu #ubuntu", which can be found at:
http://twitter.com/jonobacon/status/20738755506

Alan Pope, a member of both the Ubuntu Community Council and the
Ubuntu LoCo Council, sent out these tweets as well:

"Dear Internet. The words of one blogger do not represent the
perspective of the whole #Ubuntu Community.Love popey.(neither does
this tweet)"
http://twitter.com/popey/status/20722842025

"Just because you don't see a public 'flogging' when someone is
alleged to have breached the #ubuntu CoC doesn't mean nothing
happened."
http://twitter.com/popey/status/20727036288

Then on August 10th, 2010 Benjamin posted an article entitled "I said
a few things wrong, let's move on" found at
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/08/i-said-few-things-wrong-lets-move-on.html

In this post Benjamin says, "A couple of days ago I posted an article
which, believe it or not, had a fundamental message buried somewhere
amongst the stereotyping, name-calling trollop. It was a mistake on my
behalf to use such wording and I admit I cocked up big time.

Ubuntu is a pretty diverse place full of loads of different people
working together on something that they enjoy and that should be
respected. I think most of us agree that Ubuntu won't become
mainstream based on principles alone, and recently we've seen a lot of
work go into it to make sure that the product is as good as it can be
for mainstream consumption. Of course, there is always room for
improvement and everyone in downstream, upstream and even the FSF help
in their own way.

So, I apologize for my crass wording and hope that everyone affected
doesn't take too much of it to heart - keep doing great work on open
source software and I'll see you on the other side!"

These posts have brought out emotions, opinions, and discussion that
continue across the community.  Even the mention of including this in
UWN stirred up some strong opinions.

== Ubuntu Stats ==

=== Bug Stats ===

 * Open (76679) -1567 over last week
 * Critical (28) -2 over last week
 * Unconfirmed (37320) +233 over last week

As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started,
please see  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

=== Translation Stats Lucid ===

 1. English (United Kingdom) (0) +/-0 over last week
 2. Spanish (8779) +/-0 over last week
 3. Brazilian Portuguese (34537) -43 over last week
 4. French (37852) -296 over last week
 5. German (54014) -169 over last week

Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx", see more
at: https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/

=== Ubuntu Brainstorm Top 5 this week ===

 * Resizing Windows is Slow, Inefficient, and Forces Users to
Re-Center - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/25562/
 * Initiate guest session from the logon screen -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/25583/
 * Improve usability by allowing file properties to be edited -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/25557/
 * Cut or copy operations should be notified clearlier when used -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/25569/
 * Wireless network details - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/25559/

Ubuntu Brainstorm is a community site geared toward letting you add
your ideas for Ubuntu. You can submit your own idea, or vote for or
against another idea. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

== LoCo News ==

=== LoCo Directory Needs Your Input Now Rather Than Later ===

The lovely LoCo Directory(LD) developers have done an amazing job on
the LD.  What started off as an idea has really come to fruit and now
is a useful source of information for everyone.  For your own team,
for people travelling to see if they are in the area and if you’ve
events running so they can join you.  With this in mind there are some
bugs that need YOUR help with.  They need YOUR OPINIONS Now rather
than later.

For more information on what the LD needs your help and opinion on go to:

http://www.lczajkowski.com/?p=837

=== Ubuntu Global Jam – Coming very soon ===

So firstly for those who may be unfamilar with a Global Jam  and what
it’s all about.  The Ubuntu Global Jam (UGJ) is a a world-wide online
and face-to-face event to get people together to fix Ubuntu bugs – we
want to get as many people online fixing bugs, having a great time
doing so.  This is not only a great opportunity to really help Ubuntu,
but to also get together with other your team mates and work on things
as a group and help one another.

For more information on how you and your LoCo team can participate in
the Ubuntu Global Jam go to:

http://www.lczajkowski.com/?p=829

=== Great success + Pictures :)‎ ===

After all the time expecting excited, we (the Israeli LoCo) had a
booth on August penguin event, which is no less than the biggest FLOSS
event over here.

First of all, we spread more than 700 Ubuntu CDs, including Kubuntu,
Server edition, and even what we had left from the last version
(9.10). I was amazed to see that we gave almost all the 9.10 CDs! not
to mention all the badges and stickers people were so happy to have!
(and again thanks to Ubuntu-fr).

I was happy to see in the event many people that i already know from
Ubuntu on the grass (which is our Ubuntu event name)

Try to find our Booth in the pictures:
http://picasaweb.google.com/sijproject/2010
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=203940&id=810428115&l=cda90399a0
http://elad.blogli.co.il/archives/1406

As you can see, the event was a great success, either for our booth
and for the FLOSS in Israel

For more information go to:

http://ddorda.useopensource.net/?p=1441

=== The Ubuntistas magazine (in Greek) ===

This is the 9th issue of Ubuntistas for May-June-July. You can click
on the image above and have a look at the issue. The text should look
Greek to you  but you can get the gist of the content.

To find out more information go to:

http://simos.info/blog/?p=1176

=== Ubuntu Global Jam – Dublin ===

Plans are well underway now for a Global Jam to take place in Dublin
on the weekend of  Saturday 28th and Sunday 29th August.

We’re going to split into a two part event, real life meet up on the
Saturday at TOG –  A Hackerspace in Dublin. On Sunday we’re going to
meet online in #ubuntu-ie and working on areas as well but this way we
allo for folks who can’t make it but do want to work on Ubuntu.  We’ll
also be online on the Saturday.

What do we do at a global jam – work on bug triaging, cleaning up our
wiki pages, logging bugs, documentation.  It’s a day when you get to
decide to work on Ubuntu in your own way.

We have created the event on the LoCo Directory and we need you to
sign up as places are limited. All of the details, including a rough
timetable of what we are going to do during the day, if you can help
people with bug triaging, python coding etc, how to get there are all
on the sign up page.

For more information go to:

http://www.lczajkowski.com/?p=820

=== First Ubuntu UK Geeknic a Success ===

The first Ubuntu-UK LoCo “geeknic” and in my opinion it was a great
success. Around 20 people turned up to enjoy fun, food and chat in
Hyde Park in London, UK and stayed for about 4 hours.

The event was co-organised by Joe O’Dell and Isabell Long and was
discussed at multiple UK LoCo IRC meetings in the weeks leading up to
the event. The idea behind it was for people to get together in a
social setting rather than the usual geek meets which happen in stuffy
rooms with everyone on a laptop and nobody actually talking to anyone
in meatspace. People were also encouraged to bring friends and family.

For more information on this event go to:

http://popey.com/blog/?p=1140

== Launchpad News ==

=== Dupes Of Dupes Now Become Dupes Of The Master Bug ===

Some bugs get reported more than once. That’s why we’ve got the dupe finder.

Some duplicate bugs slip through the dupe finder. Really common issues
get quite a few dupes and someone from the relevant project usually
goes through and marks them as duplicates of the master bug where the
actual discussion and tracking is taking place.
There has been a really annoying bug in the way Launchpad has handled
all this, though, and Deryck’s just fixed it.

For more information go to:

http://blog.launchpad.net/cool-new-stuff/dupety-dupe

=== Showing The Right Bug Comments ===

Some bugs attract many, many comments.

For a while now, Launchpad has displayed only the first 80 comments on
any bug report, with the option of viewing the full comment history.
That’s been good for speeding up page loads but not so great at
offering an accurate view of the current state of discussion about the
bug.

Bryce has fixed that. Now, a bug report page still shows only 80
comments, by default. However, to give a better overview of the state
of discussion, it now shows the first 40 and the last 40 comments.

For more information go to:

http://blog.launchpad.net/cool-new-stuff/snip-it-in-the-middle

=== Better Dupe Finding ===

One of my favourite things about Launchpad’s bug tracker is the dupe
finder: when you report a new bug, it’ll search to see if there’s
already a similar bug report. It’s the same for questions in Launchpad
Answers, too.

Getting to see possible dupes before you file a bug or question is a
great time saver for you and the people on the other end. However, the
dupe finder has been timing out a lot lately.
Rob Collins, Launchpad’s new Technical Architect, has introduced some
changes that should make the dupe finder more reliable.

Other than fewer timeouts, here’s what you might notice:
 * the dupe finder now returns fewer matches — three or four rather
than ten or more
 * the results should be more relevant.

We want to know how this works in practice. Let us know how you get on
with the new dupe finder. Either leave a comment here, mail
feedback at launchpad.net or join us on the launchpad-users mailing list.

For more information go to:
http://blog.launchpad.net/cool-new-stuff/better-dupe-finding

=== How To Obtain Your Team Members Karma From Launchpad .net ===

One of our communuty members, Fernando (you can check his blog at
http://blog.beford.org ) post some weeks ago this small javascript
that could be pretty useful for other LoCo Teams. I' m transcribing
his post here for public consumption.

This little javascript obtains a sorted list of members from any
Launchpad Team by karma. It's using the Launchpad API and Mochikit

For more information go to:

http://www.hollmanenciso.com/en/content/how-obtain-your-team-members-karma-launchpad-net

== The Planet ==

=== Canonical Design Team: This week In Design – 13 August 2010 ===

The design team posts about the follow complete with screenshots.

 * Updates to the Ubuntu desktop theme
 * Papercuts
 * Font

 Want to know more about what the design team did last week go to:

http://design.canonical.com/?p=7522

=== Canonical Design Team: Finding The Ubuntu Font Design ===

In our second post from Dalton Maag we get an insight into the origin
of our very own Ubuntu font.

Want to know more on the history of the Ubuntu Font go to:

http://design.canonical.com/?p=7496

=== Canonical Design Team: How are your users feeling? Example from
Rhythmbox ===

When conducting and writing up user research findings, I make a point
of defining the experience goals alongside participant’s actual real
life goals.  This is because, as users interact with a system, they
are made to feel a certain way – just as people can, software can
bring the best or the worst out of a user.  Yet, while users’ feelings
are part of the usability of a software product, we don’t often test
to understand that side of user experience.

The usability testing of Rhythmbox highlights the power of an
interface to stimulate emotions by means of design. In this blog post
I will only discuss the findings relating to usability and emotions.
A full description of the results of the test is available in the
attached pdf.  This test was conducted in June 2010 at Canonical.

Want to know more about how the Rhythmbox users were feeling go to:

http://design.canonical.com/?p=7397

=== Canonical Design Team: An Update to the Ubuntu Light Themes ===

One of our key objectives when we started conceptualising the new
themes was their ability to be immediately recognisable as Ubuntu,
even if represented as a small screenshot. As easily recognised as
when it used to be brown – but not that brown… the incarnation that we
initially launched was a bold new statement: a little unrefined maybe,
but a good starting block on which to build.

To find out more about the updates to the Ubuntu light themes and to
see some screenhots go to:

http://design.canonical.com/?p=7027

=== Daniel Holbach: Awesome Work Others Have Done ===

I wanted to follow up on Jorge’s great blog post for a longer while
already. He said:

Lately I think we’ve gotten in a collective funk of “here’s what I
think about this.” followed by “Oh yeah, well here’s what I think of
that”, and “Allow me to retort!” and then getting stuck in a rabbit
hole of distractions.
So screw that, let’s share some stories[…]

Needless to say: Jorge is spot on!

A lot of people have been doing ROCKing work in the last few weeks and
I never took the time to thank them:

 * Dylan McCall
 * The LoCo Directory hackers!
 * Sponsors!

 Want to know more about the people being thanked in this post and how
you can thank people as well go to:

http://daniel.holba.ch/blog/?p=764

=== Daniel Holbach: Hugs For Bugs! ===

 * Total bugs with patches: 2286 (-27)
 * Reviewed patches: 379 (-9)

 * Bugs with 'patch-needswork': 94 (+1)
 * Bugs with 'patch-forwarded-upstream': 163 (-5)
 * Bugs with 'patch-forwarded-debian': 51 (-2)
 * Bugs with 'indicator-application': 41 (-1)
 * Bugs with 'patch-accepted-upstream': 49 (-3)
 * Bugs with 'patch-accepted-debian': 11 (0)
 * Bugs with 'patch-rejected-upstream': 16 (+1)
 * Bugs with 'patch-rejected-debian': 2 (0)

To find out more on how you can help "Hug a Bug" and Operation Cleansweep go to:

http://daniel.holba.ch/blog/?p=758

=== Rick Spencer: Can We Count Users Without Uniquely Identifying Them? ===

Rick notes that a post on Phoronix that triggered him to write this
post, one that he says, "I've been meaning to do for the last few
weeks, since the Canonical Platform Team got together in Prague three
weeks ago, to be exact."

Rick Spencer discusses the following areas:

 * Pre-installed desktops ftw
 * Non-unique channel identifiers
 * Future?

 Want to know more about these subjects as discussed by Rick Spencer then go to:

http://theravingrick.blogspot.com/2010/08/can-we-count-users-without-uniquely.html

=== Benjamin Humphrey: Revving up the Ubuntu Manual Project for Maverick ===

Breaking it down, we’re going to continue with the release of the
Lucid manual 2nd edition next week, which has seen over 300 bugs fixed
since the first edition thanks to the Show us ya Bugs! competition we
ran. This should provide a solid manual to go alongside the LTS for
the next five years. Then we need to copy across that work to the
Maverick branch and start incorporating the new changes, such as the
sound menu, MeMenu, Shotwell instead of F-spot and the new installer.
The manual is also getting a bit of fat trimmed and the section about
the terminal is going to be shortened and combined into another
section.

Want to know more about what's happening with the Ubuntu Manual
Project and how you can help go to:

http://humphreybc.wordpress.com/?p=1012

=== Behind The Circle: Behind MOTU Relaunches As Behind The Circle ===

With the Ubuntu development reorganization, it has been decided to
expand the scope of Behind MOTU interviews beyond the MOTU team, and
onto the larger Ubuntu Development Team.

The new Behind the Circle website features more than just a visual
refresh. The former maintainer, Daniel Holbach, has handed the reins
to the team of Maia Kozheva, Nigel Babu, and David Futcher. With the
new authors, you can expect a number of new interviews with Ubuntu
developers appearing in the near future!

http://behindthecircle.org/?p=237

== In The Press ==

=== Ubuntu's Vision For Its Unity interface ===

Jono Bacon Interviews David Siegel for Linux Format.

Ubuntu's ambitions don't stop with moving some window buttons and
making everything purple – the Ubuntu Developer Summit in Belgium saw
the announcement of Unity, a completely new desktop interface aimed at
instant-on computing.

What's got us really excited is that fact that the creator of the
fantastic Gnome Do, David Siegel, is working with the design team.
Naturally, we wanted to find out some more…

To read the interview in full go to:

http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/ubuntu-s-vision-for-its-unity-interface-707818

=== Ubuntu And The Importance Of Community ===

Canonical developer Dave Walker investigates the importance of
governance in a community as rich and diverse as Ubuntu’s…

To read th article in full go to:

http://www.linuxuser.co.uk/opinion/ubuntu-and-the-importance-of-community/

=== A Funny Thing Happened in the Shuttleworth Forum ===

What was especially interesting about a recent conversation Mark
Shuttleworth started with musings about tribalism and treating people
with respect was the turn it took when blogger Mairin Duffy steered it
in the direction of the "Great Sexism Debate," in which Shuttleworth's
unfortunate remarks about women at LinuxCon played an incendiary role.
"Did you ever end up apologizing?" Duffy asked.

To read more about what Katherine Noyes of LinuxInsider had to say go to:

=== Readers Sound Off On Dell Ubuntu Support, Adobe Reader Updates ===

Christina Tynan-Woods reports from the Grip Line:

Not everyone is as happy with Dell as Tom is. In response to my post
"Where are Dell's Ubuntu PCs?" there was quite a debate over the
relative merits and evils of companies that will or will not offer
some systems with Ubuntu preinstalled.

Some Gripe Line readers expressed fears of a collusion with Microsoft
to scuttle Ubuntu; others suggested that software should never be
preinstalled on computers at all; and a third camp decried Ubuntu as a
"toy" operating system.

Gripe Line reader Alex offered a unique solution to Dell's Ubuntu
conundrum: "We want Ubuntu options on all of their machines!"

For more information go to:

http://www.infoworld.com/d/adventures-in-it/readers-sound-dell-ubuntu-support-adobe-reader-updates-249?page=0,0&source=rss_

== In The Blogosphere ==

=== Ubuntu Probably the First Ever Linux Distro to Overshoot
Popularity of Linux Itself ===

Google Trends is not an authentic source of popularity index, but it
can definitely give you a lot of pointers on what future holds for
Ubuntu and Linux. As you can see from the above Google Trends
screenshot, popularity of Ubuntu is almost same as that of Linux in
2010.

Intermittent small spikes shows the Ubuntu release cycle. And during
the last Ubuntu release, Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx LTS ie, Ubuntu almost
overtook Linux's popularity by a whisker. A feat no other Linux distro
ever managed to achieve.

To find out more information go to:

http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/08/ubuntu-probably-first-ever-linux-distro.html

=== 20 Useful Ubuntu/Gnome Keyboard Shortcuts ===

This may not be a big deal for a vast majority of you. But keyboards
shortcuts are very essential for my mere 'existence'. And those of you
who have similar addiction with keybord shortcuts, here are a few of
them which I think are really useful for everyday use.

To find out what those 20 useful keyboard shortcuts are go to:

http://www.techdrivein.com/2010/08/20-useful-ubuntugnome-keyboard.html

=== Canonical Explains The New Ubuntu Census Package ===

Canonical developer Rick Spencer has blogged about the recent
discovery of a canonical-census package in the Ubuntu repositories.
Although initial speculation suggested Canonical was tracking the
users of pre-installed systems with Ubuntu, Spencer points out that
the idea of the census package is actually to count the number of OEM
installed Ubuntu system without identifying the users of those
systems.

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/Canonical-explain-the-new-Ubuntu-census-package-1053610.html

=== Trying Out The New Ubuntu 10.10 Installer ===

Following last week's Ubuntu 10.10 Alpha 3 release but landing before
the Ubuntu 10.10 "Maverick Meerkat" feature freeze this week were a
number of last-minute features like X Server 1.9 integration and other
updated packages along with the committing of the revamped Ubuntu
desktop installer to Maverick. Via this revamped Ubuntu installer it's
possible to install proprietary bits directly like support for MP3
audio files and proprietary graphics drivers.

Using this new installer for Ubuntu 10.10 also supports specifying
network connection information for easy wireless setup and Ubuntu
package updates can also be installed automatically. We tried out this
new installer over the weekend using an Ubuntu daily LiveCD. Ubuntu's
alternate/server installer is unchanged.

For More information and to see the screenshots go to:

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=ODUwNg

=== Maverick Ubuntu ===

The release of Ubuntu 10.10 is getting closer and details of what will
be included are starting to become clear:

 * No Gnome 3.0
 * Better sound management
 * Firefox still in place
 * OneConf

To find out more information go to:

http://mybroadband.co.za/news/software/14280-Maverick-Ubuntu.html

=== EZ Lube runs LubeSoft, which runs on Linux — more specifically on Ubuntu ===

It's not like this is breaking news or anything, but I was at EZ Lube
today getting an oil change and noticed the tell-tale brown GNOME
windows of the Ubuntu 8.04 LTS era.