Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #204

Amber Graner akgraner at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 2 09:28:38 BST 2010

Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue 204 for the week July
25th - July 31st, 2010.

== In This Issue ==

 * The Open Source Community Responds to Dave Neary's GNOME Census
Work Presentation at GUADEC
 * Ubuntu Global Jam: Start Your Engines!
 * Ubuntu 10.10 Alpha-3 coming next week
 * 10.04.1 Release Schedule Update
 * Fixing Ubuntu Software Center Descriptions
 * New Kubuntu website is live!
 * Ubuntu Font Beta: now with added Bold
 * Ubuntu News Team – Needs You!!
 * Ubuntu Stats
 * Monthly Reports
 * LoCo Council meeting time change
 * Ubuntistas, the magazine of the Greek LoCo
 * Ubuntu Q&A community in Shapado - progress
 * Ubuntu Hour in Bangalore
 * Became members of Ubuntu Colombia
 * Come to the Ubuntu side, we have badges
 * Limerick Ubuntu hour a success
 * Second San Francisco Ubuntu Hour
 * Ubuntu China LoCo Team resigning and nomination meeting
 * Launchpad News
 * Dear Ubuntu Community - Thank You
 * My Motivation for Doing Opensource
 * Cleansweep Update!
 * This week in design – 30 July 2010
 * Design by enthusiasm
 * In The Press
 * In The Blogosphere
 * 10 reasons why your kids should be using Linux
 * Canonical fluffs one-click Ubuntu cloud stack
 * GNOME 3 not ready yet, release pushed back to 2011
 * Using ALSA to Control Linux Audio
 * Try Out Opera Mini In Ubuntu
 * Latest ATI Video Driver Has Support for Ubuntu 10.04
 * Ubuntu Server makes gains at SUSE Linux' expense
 * zr-svn 1.0.3 announced
 * bzr-git 0.5.2 announced
 * Whitelisting Advances with New Bouncer App
 * Dell to Continue to Sell Ubuntu Systems, Just Not on Its UK Website
 * TurnKey Linux: GNU high school: teaching kids by contributing to open source
 * Full Circle Magazine Issue 39 is available
 * Weekly Ubuntu Development Team Meetings
 * Monthly Team Reports: July 2010
 * Upcoming Meetings and Events
 * Updates and Security
 * UWN Sneak Peek
 * and much much more!

== General Community News ==

=== The Open Source Community Responds to Dave Neary's GNOME Census
Work Presentation at GUADEC ===

Dave Neary presented his GNOME Census work [1] at GUADEC on July 28th,
2010. Response to this presentation set ablaze the internet.

Greg DeKoenigsberg (former Red Hat Employee) blogged [2] in anger his
reponse to seeing the census numbers presented by Neary at GUADEC. His
response was about how Canonical doesn't contribute enough upstream to
the GNOME project.

In response Jono Bacon, Ubuntu Community Manager blogged [3] to refute
the claims that Greg DeKoenigsberg's made on his blog post. In the
comments section of Jono's post you can find Dylan McCall's "sensible"
comment [4] which Mark Shuttleworth refers later in his post.

Around this same time a rather "pithy" blog post [5] was posted by
Jeffery Stedfast.

Mark Shuttleworth also weighed in and blogged in response to all the
posts and accusations flying around the internet with his  "Tribalism
is the enemny within" post [6] in which he cites both Greg, Jono and
Dylan's posts.

Then on Sunday August 1st, 2010, Greg DeKoenigsberg apologized for the
earlier post he posted in anger in his  "Old Wounds" blog post [7].

To follow this story and to get more information go to the links listed below:

[1] - GNOME Census - http://blogs.gnome.org/bolsh/2010/07/28/gnome-census/

[2] - Greg DeKoenigsberg Speaks -

[3] - Red Hat, Canonical and GNOME Contributions -

[4] - Dylan McCall's Comment -

[5] - Re: Red Hat, 16%. Canonical, 1%. -

[6] - Tribalism is the enemy within -

[7] - Old Wounds - http://gregdekspeaks.wordpress.com/2010/08/01/old-wounds/

=== Ubuntu Global Jam: Start Your Engines! ===

Are you good folks aware of what is happening on 27th – 29th August
2010. But of course, it is the Ubuntu Global Jam!

In the last few cycles we have organized and run an event called the
Ubuntu Global Jam.

The idea was simple: encourage our awesome global Ubuntu community to
get together in the same room to work on bugs, translations,
documentation, testing and more. And they did, all over the world, as
can be seen here.

To make the event as simple and accessible as possible, we have picked
five topic areas and we are encouraging you lovely people to organize
an event with one or more of them:

 * Bugs – finding, triaging and fixing bugs.
 * Testing – testing the new release and reporting your feedback.
 * Upgrade – upgrading to Maverick from Lucid and reporting your
upgrade experience.
 * Documentation – writing documentation about how to use Ubuntu and
how to join the community.
 * Translations – translating Ubuntu and helping to make it available
in everyone’s local language.
 * Packaging – packaging software for Ubuntu users to install with a clock.
 * Other – other types of contribution such as marketing and advocacy etc.

With six primary methods of getting involved, there is something for
everyone in this rocking global event.

To find out more about Ubuntu Global Jam and how you can get involved go to:

=== Ubuntu 10.10 Alpha-3 coming next week ===

This is just a reminder that we are one week away from Ubuntu 10.10
Alpha 3, and the following week is Feature Freeze (08/12) [1]. Those
wanting their features included in this release will need to upload as
soon as possible. Features landing after Feature Freeze will need to
be approved by the release team before being accepted [2].

 [1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FeatureFreeze

 [2] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FreezeExceptionProcess

Original Posting to Ubuntu-Devel mailing list can be found at:

=== 10.04.1 Release Schedule Update ===

The Ubuntu Release team, SRU team, and team tech leads had a meeting
(July 20th, 2010) about the first lucid point release preparation.

This is the current list of targeted bugs:

We'll most likely drop some more, but by and large 10.04.1 will be
what is currently in -updates and -security, hopefully most of what is
currently in -proposed, and a lot of what is on above milestone list.

Due to not having a full-time release manager (apologies from me on
this), we need to push back the release date from the originally
planned date of July 29th to August 12th.  This will give use one more
week to develop bug fixes, one week to test them in -proposed, and one
week to roll and vet images.

Please note that this schedule change *DOES NOT AFFECT 10.10*...we are
firmly committed to delivering Maverick Meerkat on 10.10.10. ;)

Original Posting to the Ubuntu-Devel mailing list can be found at:

=== Fixing Ubuntu Software Center Descriptions ===

The Ubuntu Software Center is making some rocking progress, but as
everyone’s favorite Dr Vish suggests, it is only a container for other
content, and we need to fix and improve the descriptions of apps
inside Ubuntu to make it easier for users.

This is a wonderful contribution to Ubuntu. Want to get involved?
Simple, check out Vish’s awesome post.

For more information and links to the posts that are referenced go to:

=== New Kubuntu website is live! ===

The Kubuntu team have remodeled their abode, with astounding results.

Many thanks to Ofir Klinger of the Kubuntu website team for his hard
work making this happen!

For more information as well as some screenshots and a link to the new
site go to:

=== Ubuntu Font Beta: now with added Bold ===

Ivanka Majic announced that the Canonical Design Team has updated the
Ubuntu Font Beta ppa - Bold has now been added.

=== Ubuntu News Team – Needs You!! ===

Do you want to be part of the Ubuntu News Team?  Do you want to be
part of a long standing and growing part of the Ubuntu Community?
Looking for a place to contribute. Then the Ubuntu News Team is for

To find out more about how you can get involved and help the news team go to:

 * Open (78289) +694 over last week
 * Critical (31) +2 over last week
 * Unconfirmed (37131) +174 over last week

As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started,
please see  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

=== Translation Stats Lucid ===

 1. English (United Kingdom) (1) +1 over last week
 2. Spanish (10361) +1444 over last week
 3. Brazilian Portuguese (34603) +/-0 over last week
 4. French (38215) -15 over last week
 5. German (54270) -2 over last week

Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx", see more
at: https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid/

=== Ubuntu Brainstorm Top 5 this week ===

 * New hardware does not list any Linux programs in the manual -
 * Meego on Ubuntu - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/25487/

Ubuntu Brainstorm is a community site geared toward letting you add
your ideas for Ubuntu. You can submit your own idea, or vote for or
against another idea. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

== LoCo News ==

=== Monthly Reports ===

Monthly reports are a really good habit to get into for all of us!
But for LoCo Teams it’s especially good.  It will help you keep track
of your events and possibly if you aren’t doing much highlight this to
you as you’ll see events decreasing which isn’t a good sign of an
active team.

What is a good idea is to appoint one person to do up the team report
each month. Mail the team saying the report has been created and let
people add any other snippets of information they may not have heard
about.  This is a great way to stimulate conversation but also means
it’s not just down to one person to add content.

For more information and suggestions about monthly reports go to:

=== LoCo Council meeting time change ===

We had a clash in #ubuntu-meeting with another meeting so we've moved
the LoCo Council meeting by one hour.

"Tuesday 3rd August 2010, 19:00 UTC"

Click the link below to see the time in your region.

To see Alan Pope's original post to the LoCo contacts mailing list go to:

=== Ubuntistas, the magazine of the Greek LoCo ===

It's a (almost) bi-monthly, electronic only Ubuntu and FLOSS related
magazine with great success! The magazine includes interviews,
tutorials and news of high quality. The magazine is organized through
our forums and it's totally community generated -both content and
artwork-. We magazine is active for 2 years (8 issues). The content is
in Greek so unfortunately non-greek speakers cannot enjoy it.

You can find all the issues at:

The latest issue can be found at:

=== Ubuntu Q&A community in Shapado - progress ===

A few days ago I invited you to take a look at Shapado and its Ubuntu
Q&A community.

It's picking up nicely: http://ubuntu.shapado.com/

If anyone in this list wants to be an admin my only requirement is
that you are a current Ubuntu member.

Most users are English and Spanish for now. The site supports 4
languages (French, Portuguese, English and Spanish) with the next
release supporting many more, including Russian, Macedonian, Dutch,
Galician, German and Catalan.

Progress of translation can be seen here:

My personal experience using it has been great and I've learned quite
a bit while exploring this new way of helping other Ubuntu users. My
main focus is Spanish and English. I've asked my local team members to
take a look at this but I don't expect much activity before school is
back :D Right now in summer most everyone I know here in Quebec is out
catching some sun.

For more information the original post to the LoCo contacts mailing
list can be found at:

=== Ubuntu Hour in Bangalore ===

Woo! After a while, the Ubuntu LoCo community is awakening in
Bangalore again.  I had announced a meet up on the mailing list a
while back.  I had my fingers crossed as to how many would turn up and
how it would be.  Most people assured me “if there are 2 people and
the other person isn’t your imaginary friend, its a success!“

I’m glad to report that we ended up with 7 people coming in.  It
started out a bit slow with just me sitting alone in Cafe Coffee Day
on Richmond Road.  To be a little more noticeable I opened up the
laptop and sat in such a way I could see everyone who walked in.
Anyone who looked lost was definitely looking for the Ubuntu Hour
(note to self:  Sticker on laptop sounds like a good idea now).

To find out more information and to see the pictures from the event go to:

=== Became members of Ubuntu Colombia ===

Ingeniero Forigua takes a moment to tell members in the Ubuntu
Columbia team area how they can become members of the team.

 1.  Apply to a mailing list
 2. Register in lauchpad
 3. By signing the CoC (Code of Conduct ubuntu): Conductivity code is
a basic outline of how we should behave within the Ubuntu community.
 4. Introduce yourself in the discussion list, indicating clearly as
he learned of the group Ubuntu-Co, which projects or activities you
are interested in which will participate actively.
 5. Edit your personal page on the Wiki
 6. Finally Introduce yourself to the Ubuntu Colombia in a few days
some moderator will approve

To find out more information on what Ingeniero suggests go to:

=== Come to the Ubuntu side, we have badges ===

Ddorda from the Ubuntu Israel LoCo Team posts pictures and a brief
summary of what the team has been up too.

To see the pictures and for more information go to:

=== Limerick Ubuntu hour a success ===

Thanks to all those who came along it was great to meet new people
here in Limerick who are users of Ubuntu but also want to get more
people using it.

Seven of us turned up the Absolute Hotel in Limerick, I had a table
got and had a few things that were on the table to let folks know I
was there.  I was really chuffed to see so many people turn up, a lot
were end users like myself and others are using Ubuntu but also want
to see it more visible in their workplace.

To find out more about the Limerich Ubuntu Hour go to:

=== Second San Francisco Ubuntu Hour ===

On Tuesday I hosted the second San Francisco Ubuntu Hour. We had four
people in attendance (thanks for dropping by James, Grant and

It ended up being quite an evening for gadgets. As is typical, I
brought along my mini9 and Grant showed up with his ever popular OLPC

To find out more information about this Ubuntu Hour as well as see the
pictures from the event go to:

=== Ubuntu China LoCo Team resigning and nomination meeting ===

The Ubuntu China LoCo Team resigning and nomination, and talked a lot
about the LoCo team’s future activities.
Topics included the following from the team Meeting Minutes:

 1. What is Ubuntu LoCo contact? [happyaron]
 2. Vote for new LoCo contact, and the new contact decided is Eleanor
Chen. (10 Pros, 0 Cons, 4 not voted)
 3. Discussed about Full Circle China team’s work.
 4. Made decisions about participating the Ubuntu Global Jam, and
proposed for opening a classroom for teaching people who are
interested in becoming an MOTU.
 5. All participants agree with organizing more community activities,
but not get a conclusion on when is the best time for starting a
Ubuntu user group at Beijing.

For more information go to:

== Launchpad News ==

=== Meet Benji York ===

Matthew Revell interviews Benji York, Canonical’s Launchpad team.
Matthew asks Benji the following questions and more:

 *  What do you do on the Launchpad team?
 * Can we see something that you’ve worked on?
 * Where do you work?
 * What did you do before working at Canonical?

To find out the answer to these question and more go to:

=== Assigning bugs to someone else, or not ===

Recently, we changed the way assigning bugs works on Launchpad. It
used to be that anyone could assign anyone else to a bug. This was
open to abuse as you can imagine. Bug 511269 was filed about the
potential problems with this, and we recently changed Launchpad so
that only bug supervisors can assign a bug to someone else.

You can still assign a bug to yourself, but this does keep you from
assigning someone to a bug to draw their attention to said bug. In the
end, this is a good thing, though, as people should only be assigned
bugs who are going to be responsible for working on them.

Now there is one issue with this change. Projects that had not
established a bug supervisor for the project will find their
developers can no longer assign bugs to each other. The easy fix for
this is to create a bug supervisor team for your project and have the
people working on your bugs assigned to this team. We do realize this
might be a bit heavy weight for some projects, so we’ve opened bug
603281 about this issue.  A fix for this — only requiring bug
supervisor permissions if bug supervisor is defined — should be
appearing on Launchpad soon.

For information go to:

== The Planet ==

=== Paul Hummer: Dear Ubuntu Community - Thank You ===

I plug my new gadgets in. They work out of the box. -

I want to install and play with a new piece of software. I don't have
to search the net for that software.

I want to write new code. I'm up and running pretty quickly.

I want to buy new music and put it on my music player. I can certainly do that.

I want to contribute back to my OS. Kind people help me do that.

I just wanted to take a minute and say thank you to everyone that
works on Ubuntu, from helping new users to writing code to testing
code and filing bugs. You make me forget about my OS enough to get my
work done. Thank you.

For more information go to:

=== Robbie Williamson: My Motivation for Doing Opensource ===

Robbie Williamson, Canonical Foundations Team Manager discusses what
his motivation for doing Opensource is.

Here is some of what Robbie had to say:

The reason I like working in opensource is that I believe the
fundamental core of it, is to give…that’s it.  Giving feels good.
I’ve donated my time and money to various charitable organizations,
and while they are all good causes…helping people who needed…deep
down, I do it because it makes me feel good (and I know I’m not

To read the post in full go to:

=== Nigel Babu: Cleansweep Update! ===

 * Total bugs with patches: 2283 (+20)
 * Reviewed patches: 378 (+31)

 * Bugs with ‘patch-needswork’: 90 (+2)
 * Bugs with ‘patch-forwarded-upstream’: 164 (+19)
 * Bugs with ‘patch-forwarded-debian’: 51 (+8)
 * Bugs with ‘indicator-application’: 42 (-2)
 * Bugs with ‘patch-accepted-upstream’: 50 (+2)
 * Bugs with ‘patch-accepted-debian’: 12 (-1)
 * Bugs with ‘patch-rejected-upstream’: 16 (0)
 * Bugs with ‘patch-rejected-debian’: 2 (+1)

=== Canonical Design Team: This week in design – 30 July 2010 ===

To find out what the Canonical Design team has been working on in the
areas of  - Desktop, Research, and Guidelines go to:

=== Canonical Design Team: Design by enthusiasm ===

Ivanka Majic answers the following question -

“I wonder if the ‘open for all’ in FOSS makes the design part suffer
from ‘design by comitee’? What are your thoughts on this?” – Tor
Løvskogen Bollingmo

For more information and to find out how she answered this question go to:

== In The Press ==

=== Why Ubuntu Linux Is a Good Business Choice ===

Ken Hess, PC World discusses Ubuntu as a good business choice.

One of those choices is Ubuntu Linux, a greatly enhanced Debian-based
Linux distribution that installs easily, has the familiar Windows look
 and feel, and operates well on older hardware (expensive upgrade not
required). Linux fans tout the positive attributes, often at high
decibel levels, of Ubuntu Linux, which is perhaps the world's most
popular Linux distribution. But, is it business worthy?

To decide for yourself and to find out more information go to:

== In The Blogosphere ==

=== Ubuntu's two big advantages over Windows and Mac ===

Jason Hiner with zdnet gives discusses two significant advantages that
Ubuntu has over Windows 7 and Mac OS X. This came up last week because
Apple displaced Oracle as the new world leader in  security
vulnerabilities, according to a report from Secunia.
 1. Comprehensive software updates
 2. Integrated app store

 To read the article in full and learn more about these advantages go to:

=== Get a Blazing-Fast Computer for Free ===

Farhad Manjoo discusses how Ubuntu can be used on older hardware -
Well, I think they've done it. I made a second foray onto Ubuntu's
shores a week ago, and so far, I like it quite a bit. The OS has
progressed a great deal since I last checked in (in 2008 I installed
version 8.04; now I'm running version 10.04). I found Ubuntu quick to
install, speedy to do pretty much everything, and, thankfully, very
easy  to figure out. There were some rough edges; for instance,
Ubuntu's  designers ought to make some of its error messages more
comprehensible  to newbies. While installing Skype, I was informed
that a "later version  is available in a software channel. You are
strongly advised to install  the version from the software channel,
since it is usually better  supported." I'm pretty sure that could
have been translated to, "Click  'Next' to install a newer version of
Skype." For the most part, though,  Ubuntu has broken free of
technical mumbo jumbo, and if you've got a  little bit of tech savvy,
you'll have no problem dealing with it.

So Ubuntu is good. But why should you use it?

Farhad Manjoo continues with - "To me, it's the perfect way to give an
aging Windows PC new life."

Want to learn more about this writers assessment of why Ubuntu 10.04
is great for older hardware go to:

=== Getting Started with Ubuntu 10.04 now in German ===

Get it while it’s hot!

 Download: http://ubuntu-manual.org/download/10.04/de/screen

 Buy in print: http://ubuntu-manual.org/buy/gswu1004e1/de

P.S – Take a good look at the screenshots in the translated editions.
Pretty good attention to detail, no? That’s how the Ubuntu Manual Team

=== New Style Stickers for sale in Ubuntu store - perfect for covering
netbooks with! ===

Notebook and netbook users the world over can now flash their OS cred
to the world with some ace new Ubuntu stickers added to the Ubuntu

Two different packs are available - 3 sheets of the mixed stickers
(left) will set you back a not-much-at-all £1.75/$2.77/€2.05 (exec.

A variety of sizes (yes, including Windows Key size!) are including
ensuring there will always be a sticker that fits every occasion!

Also available are two ‘rubbery’ domed Ubuntu logo stickers (below)
which are perfect for slapping over an ASUS/Acer/HP/etc manufacturer
logo. A set of 2 stickers will set you £3/$4.75/€ 3.51 (exec.
Nab either set - or both! - @

=== Unity as of now - looking better than ever ===

To see the screenhots of how Unity is shaping up as well as links to
more information about Unity go to:

=== 9 Awesome lynx-themed wallpapers ===

Show your love for Ubuntu 10.04 with these awesome Lucid-inspired
wallpapers by MadeInKobaia. -

For more information and to see the screenshots of the wallpapers go to:

== In Other News ==

=== 10 reasons why your kids should be using Linux ===

Providing tech support for your children can be even more challenging
than your IT day job. Jack Wallen discusses the following reasons why
he thinks Linux is better suited for those young users.

  1. Viruses/malware
  2. Security
  3. Cost effectiveness
  4. Age-specific tools
  5. Netbooks
  6. Agile learners
  7. Staying in step
  8. Learning opportunities
  9. A lesson in community
  10. Content filtering

To find out more about why your kids should be using Linux go to:

=== Canonical fluffs one-click Ubuntu cloud stack ===

Gaven Clark with the Register reports -  Canonical has revealed  that
it's working with open-source project Hadoop and NoSQL database
providers to deepen the level of integration between these big-data
technologies and the Linux distro's next planned release: Maverick
Meerkat, aka Ubuntu 10.10, due in October.

Separately, sources close to Canonical have told The Reg that the
company is in talks with Cassandra and CouchDB on NoSQL, and  start-up
PuppetLabs for data-center automation and provisioning.

Canonical also has an internal project underway codenamed Ensemble to
manage dependencies, deployment, and provisioning of applications on
Ubuntu clouds.
Data center and application tooling will come in the follow-on Ubuntu
11.04 and 11.10 releases.

Canonical's end goal seems to be single-click deployment for a cloud
from the Ubuntu command line, starting with specific applications.

For more information and to read the post in full go to:

=== GNOME 3 not ready yet, release pushed back to 2011 ===

Ryan Paul with Ars Technical discusses delay in release for GNOME 3 -
The developers behind the GNOME project have gathered in the
Netherlands this week for the annual GUADEC conference.  During a
meeting that took place at the event, the GNOME release team  made the
difficult decision to delay the launch of GNOME 3, the next  major
version of the popular open source desktop environment.

The new version has been deemed unready for mass consumption and will
need another round of refinements before it can achieve the level of
maturity and robustness that is expected by the software's users.
Although the news will likely disappoint some enthusiasts, it is
consistent with the GNOME development community's conservative
approach  to release management and strong emphasis on predictability.

To learn more about this delayed release of GNOME 3 go to:

=== Using ALSA to Control Linux Audio ===

Carla Shroder discusses Using ALSA -  Last week I wrote how to
configure PulseAudio on Ubuntu  so you could easily stop and start it
when you wanted to, instead of  being stuck with it being on all the
time, or having to remove it just  to get it out of your way. Today
I'm going to show how to use ALSA,  which has been the default Linux
audio subsystem for many years. ALSA  has its limitations, but it's
perfectly fine for controlling both  playback and recording volume.

To learn more about using ALSA to control Linux audio go to:

=== Try Out Opera Mini In Ubuntu ===

Anurag Upadhaya discusses how to run Opera Mini in Ubuntu - You must
have seen plenty of ways to run Opera Mini in Windows  XP or Windows 7
(yes, we are not talking about mobiles here). Want to  experience the
same thing on Ubuntu? The process to run it on Windows  and Ubuntu is
almost same with the same software application required for emulation,
but still we will take you through the required steps.

To learn more go to:

=== Latest ATI Video Driver Has Support for Ubuntu 10.04 ===

Marius Nestor, Linux Editor for Softpedia lets the world know about
the latest ATI Video Drive that has support for Ubuntu 10.04 -
Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) proudly announced a few minutes ago, July
26th,  another improved version of its ATI Catalyst  Linux display
driver,  available for both x86 and x86_64 architectures.  ATI
Catalyst 10.7  introduces final and stable support for the Ubuntu
10.04 LTS (Lucid Lynx)  operating system, early support for the newly
released openSUSE 11.3 distribution, and official support for the ATI
Eyefinity technology. The software version was updated to 8.753.

Want to know more about this driver, go to:

=== Ubuntu Server makes gains at SUSE Linux' expense ===

Bridget Botelho, Senior News Writer,SearchEnterpriseLinux.com,
discusses the how Ubuntu Server is filling the gaps in the enterprise

Red Hat Enterprise Linux is still the most widely used open source
server operating system in data centers, but Ubuntu Server adoption is
on the rise, and it could come at the expense of SUSE Linux.

That said, Canonical Ltd.’s Ubuntu Server market share is quite small
compared with Windows Server and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL), but
the gap between SUSE and Ubuntu has shrunk over the past year, with
Ubuntu deployments rising slightly and SUSE declining, according to
TechTarget’s Data Center Decisions 2010 survey.

According to the survey of 1,049 IT managers, the most commonly used
data center OSes are Windows Server 2003 (81%), Windows Server 2008
(52%) and 2008 R2 (45%), followed by RHEL (41%). SUSE Linux ranks
below Sun Solaris, IBM AIX, HP-UX and iOS at 16%, while 14% of
respondents said they use Ubuntu Linux.

To read the article in full and find out more information go to:

=== Whitelisting Advances with New Bouncer App ===

Sean Michael Kerner informs people that starting with Bouncer 6.0, the
company is moving to a software appliance model powered by Ubuntu

Security  vendor CoreTrace is updating its Bouncer whitelisting
application this  week, providing new insight and control into
securing applications for  enterprise use. The basic concept behind
whitelisting is to only enable  approved applications and deny access
to those that aren't.

With the proliferation of applications and the growing strains on
enterprise IT, it's not always possible to have all the necessary
applications on a whitelist. That's where CoreTrace's new Bouncer 6.0
release is aiming to help.

Bouncer 6.0 includes a new cloud-based intelligence service that  is
being integrated to help administrators stay up-to-date on current
application security risks and patches. The new Bouncer release will
also help to enable enterprise compliance with software licensing by
providing visibility into application usage.

Overall, what CoreTrace is aiming to do with its new release is  help
broaden the definition of what whitelisting applications are able  to
do as enterprises continue to secure their application usage.

To find out more information go to:

=== Dell to Continue to Sell Ubuntu Systems, Just Not on Its UK Website ===

By Lucian Parfeni, Web News Editor for Spoftpedia, dispells the myth
that Dell isn't shipping laptops with Ubuntu pre-installed on them.

... while 'Dell no longer sells  Ubuntu laptops' makes for a great
headline, it’s not exactly true. In  fact, Dell is expanding its
offering with the first desktop system  available for quite a while
and has started shipping systems with Ubuntu  10.04. However, it has
stopped selling Ubuntu machines in its UK online  shop.

...Dell is still selling them over  the phone. But they’re gone from
the website and there doesn’t seem to  be any plans to bring them back
any time soon...

There are some good news coming from Dell though, the company has
recently expanded its Ubuntu offering. It has now started selling its
Studio XPS 7100 desktop  pre-installed with Ubuntu, a more powerful
machine than the Inspiron line it offered before. It also marks the
first time Dell has offered  Ubuntu 10.04 out of the box. Other
systems come with Ubuntu 9.10 and  even Ubuntu 9.04. Seeing as any of
them can be easily upgraded to the  latest version, it’s not much of
an inconvenience for users. In conclusion, Dell is not dropping
Ubuntu, at least not in the foreseeable future, but a clearer and more
focused strategy from the OEM giant  would be nice.

For more information go to:

=== TurnKey Linux: GNU high school: teaching kids by contributing to
open source ===

TurnKey, an Ubuntu based project, spotlight an inspiring relationship
with Chelsea School, a high school in suburban Maryland that
specializes in teaching students with language-based learning
disabilities. Chelsea School is piloting an innovative program that
teaches students about technology by engaging the open source
community. Chelsea School has proven teaching students by contributing
to open source can be a win-win for both education and the open source

=== Full Circle Magazine Issue 39 is available ===

 * Command and Conquer.
 * How-To : Program in Python – Part 13, Virtualize – Fedora 13, and
Understand Virtual Memory.
 * Review – iRobot iPad.
 * Top 5 – Documentation Sites.
 * plus: MOTU Interview, Ubuntu Games, My Opinion, My Story, and now
with all new LoCo and Translation Team interviews!

To get Full Circle Magazine Issue 39 go to:

=== zr-svn 1.0.3 announced ===

Jelmer Vernooij announced on Friday July 30th, 2010, the release of
the next version of bzr-svn, version 1.0.3. This release was overdue,
and mostly contains bugfixes. I hope to follow this release up quickly
with a 1.0.4 or 1.1.0 release.

To see the original announcement as well as the full list of changes
since 1.0.2 go to:

=== bzr-git 0.5.2 announced ===

Jelmer Vernooij announced on Friday July 30th, 2010 that bzr-git 0.5.2
was released.

To learn more about this release and the bug fixes contained go to:

== Weekly Ubuntu Development Team Meetings ==

 * Ubuntu Desktop Team Meeting Minutes for July 27, 2010 -
 * Ubuntu Mobile Team Meeting Minutes from July 27, 1010 -
 * Ubuntu Server Team Meeting Minutes for July 27, 2010 -
 * Ubuntu Kernel Team Meeting Minutes for July 27, 2010 -
 * Ubuntu Foundations Team Meeting Minutes for July 28, 2010
 * Ubuntu Release Team Meeting Minutes for July 30, 2010 -
 * Developer Membership Board  -

== Monthly Team Reports: July 2010 ==

=== Ubuntu Governance ===

==== Americas Regional Membership Board ====

 * The approval results from the July 15th Americas Membership Board
meeting are as follows:

  * David Sugar (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DavidSugar |

   * This application was processed via the mailing list due to issues
achieving/maintaining quorum.

 * The approval results for the July 22nd Americas Membership Board
Make-Up Meeting are as follows:

  * Matthew Byers (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/stlsaint |

==== Developer Membership Board ====

'''Developer Membership Board meeting, 2010-07-06 15:00 UTC'''

 * Chair: Colin Watson

 * Present: Cody Somerville, Emmet Hikory, Michael Bienia, Soren Hansen

 * Apologies: Stéphane Graber

 * Absent: Richard Johnson

 * Action review:

  * persia to publish the minutes for the DMB meeting 2010-05-25

   * Done towards end of meeting

  * cjwatson to create ubuntu-kernel-uploaders team owned by the DMB
that will provide upload permissions to Ubuntu kernel packages

   * Done

  * cjwatson to create a zope packageset incorporating the Zope, Zope
Community, and Python Packaging sections, and a schooltool packageset
for the SchoolTool section

   * Done insofar as currently possible due to availability of
packages in the archive; sent mail

  * Cody to write an e-mail to the list concerning the layout/format
of the DMB meeting - membership first

   * Not done; will do that today or tomorrow

 * Robert Ancell (core developer)

 * Micah Gersten (Mozilla package set)

 * Chase Douglas (PPU)

  * Chase applied for upload access to linux-firmware,
linux-firmware-nonfree, and trace-cmd.

 * Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre (PPU)

  * Mathieu applied for upload access to network-manager,
network-manager-applet, network-manager-pptp, network-manager-openvpn,
network-manager-vpnc, network-manager-openconnect, and modemmanager.

  * Given that other commitments had left us inquorate by this point
in the meeting anyway, we deferred Mathieu's application until next
week in order for him to gather endorsements.

 * Gerfried Fuchs (MOTU) (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/GerfriedFuchs)

  * Vote partially completed during the meeting, pending completion by e-mail.

==== EMEA Regional Membership Board ====

New July Members at the EMEA Meeting held on

 * Netanel Shine / Netsan - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Netsan

 * Raphael Hertzog / hertzog - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RaphaelHertzog

 * Nils-Christoph Fiedler / ncfiedler -

 * Steffan Wood / steffan -

 * Alon Swartz / alonswartz - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/alonswartz

 * Moshe Nahmias / moshegrey - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Moshenahmias

 * Ahmed Toulan / thelinuxer - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/thelinuxer

==== Forum Council ====

Ubuntu Forums Council - July 2010

 1. LTSP Forums (suggestion)
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1513563) - For now we prefer
if the Server Platform
(http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=339) section is used with
a tag - '''''LTSP'''''. If / when traffic increases we can re-consider
a subforum, but the impression is the traffic is low.

 2. Request for an Ubuntu Youth Forum - This request was considered,
but declined. The best summary of the FC is "We are a support forum
and the entirety of the forums should be suitable for all ages."

 3. Polls will be disabled in the support forums.

==== IRC Council ====

 * IRC Council meeting on 10 July 2010

  * Attendance: topyli, Pici, tsimpson, jussi (latter part of the meeting)

  * Topic: Review the Mentoring page for approval/rejection

   * Decided to accept the current draft

  * Topic: Burnout strategy for operators

   * Discussed possible policy options

   * Decided to amend the Operator Guidelines to encourage operators
to take sufficient time off regularly. Operators should inform the
team in advance when they are planning to take time off.

   * ACTION: jussi to draft amendment for guidelines. We will then
work from that together.

   * ACTION: topyli to create vacation calendar for operators.

   * The amendment will be publicised and the calendar announced on
the IRC Team mailing list. Pici will send the mail when everything is

  * No new bugs. Bug #513915 - "IRC Clients join Ubuntu channels by
default in Guadalinex" has been closed.

 * IRC Council meeting on 25 July 2010

  * Attendance: nhandler

  * Due to no items being on the agenda and not having quorum, this
meeting did not happen.

==== LoCo Council ====

 * The idea of the LoCo Health check is an informal way to get teams
chatting about issues they are facing any thoughts or issues they
have, but also for the council to remind them on ways that teams can
help themselves using the tools that are available to them.

 * We had a July LoCo Health Check on July 6th covering a range of
topics such as using the LoCo Teams Best Practices and
Guidelines,Hanging out in IRC Channel #ubuntu-locoteams this is also
where you can contact Council members if you need us. Microblogging
and using the #locoteams tag when you dent/tweet so people can follow
your comments.  Getting more people on the LoCo contacts Mailing list
and spreading the word. Minutes
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoCouncil/LoCoHealthCheck/20100706 )

 * We had a LoCo Council meeting on the 20th July where we reviewed
applications from teams for Approval and Re Approval of their LoCo

     . * Ubuntu-RO - Nobody present for application - Council taking
it to mailing list instead

     . * Ubuntu-US-MA - Not re-approved

     . * Ubuntu-IT - Re-approved

     . * Ubuntu-FR - Re-approved

     . * Ubuntu-GR - Re-approved

     . * Ubuntu-EG - Abstained

     . * Ubuntu-NL - Abstained

 * For those LoCo teams that were not re-approved, or for which the
LoCo council could not reach agreement, the council agreed to work
with the LoCo teams to help them get re-approved  Full Log of Meeting
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoCouncil/Agenda/20100720 )

 * Following up on emails/ queries from LoCo teams who have requested
help and helping where possible.

=== Ubuntu Development Teams ===

==== Reviewers Team ====

 * Dholbach and Nigelb held a meeting to discuss reduced pace for patch review.

 * Patch review to be part of the Ubuntu Global Jam

 * 378 patches reviewed.  1905 patches remaining.

 * Patch day planned for August.

==== Kubuntu Team ====

'''Kubuntu team report for July, 2010'''

===== Community =====

 * Kubuntu Tutorials Day was on July 7th to teach how to help with
Kubuntu and KDE

 * Kubuntu Council meeting held on July 26th to review progress of
Maverick development and needed course corrections.

===== Development =====

 * As part of the Google Summer of Code, Harald Sitter (apachelogger)
working on Ubuntu One KDE client. Its first sort-of alpha was
announced on 11th July

 * Jonathan Thomas (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Jonathan265) working on
QApt, a new package manager backend and Muon, a GUI frontend for QApt,
which will be hopefully the default package manager for Maverick+1.
Current version is 0.3, the beta released is scheduled on 28th July.

 * Second alpha version of Maverick Meerkat released

 * Project Neon (a.k.a Amarok Nightly) was ressurected by Michał Zając
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MichalZajac) and Rohan Garg
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/shadeslayer) with help and (sometimes) useful
comments of Harald Sitter (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HaraldSitter)!

===== Packaging =====

 * KDE SC 4.5 RC2 packages are available for Lucid Lynx and Maverick Meerkat

 * Ayatana Application Menu is integrated into the default Netbook
layout for Maverick.

 * KOffice 2.2.1 packages are available for Lucid Lynx and Maverick Meerkat

 * A junior job for Qt Assistant transition was made by Ryan Kavanagh
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/RyanKavanagh) and Kristóf Kiszel

 * QtWebkit build-depend transition
(https://wiki.kubuntu.org/QtWebKitBuildDependTransition) was made by
many contributors

===== Website =====

 * Kubuntu has now a brand new beautiful website
(http://www.kubuntu.org). Thanks to Ofir Klinger
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/OfirKlinger), Jonathan Riddell
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JonathanRiddell) and Ryan Kavanagh

==== Xubuntu Team ====

'''Xubuntu team report for July, 2010'''

===== Bug Triage =====

 * Many bugs have been triaged and fixed this month.

===== Packaging, Development, & Testing =====

 * Uploaded new bugfix releases of Goffice (0.8.7) and Gnumeric
(1.10.7) in Maverick Meerkat.

 * Synced xfce4-notifyd (Xfce Notification Daemon) into Maverick
Meerkat from Debian to let it work again with the latest libnotify.

 * Released Maverick Meerkat Alpha2 on 2010-07-01. This is the second
development release of what will become the next version of Xubuntu,
10.10. It is available for testing purposes at Tumbler

 * New default applications selected since Maverick Meerkat Alpha 2:
Parole (Xfce4 Media Player), Xfburn (Xfce4 CD/DVD burning tool) and
xfce4-taskmanager (Xfce4 process manager). Feedback appreciated!

 * FFmpeg thumbnailer support added to
(http://foo-projects.org/pipermail/xfce/2010-July/027372.html) (file
thumbnail generator for the not-yet-released Xfce 4.8), thanks to the
work of Lionel Le Folgoc (mr_pouit).

 * Development packages of Xfce 4.7.x (future 4.8) updated in Xubuntu
developers' PPA (https://launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/+archive/ppa).
Feel free to test them and report bugs on http://bugzilla.xfce.org to
make Xfce 4.8 rock!

===== Website & Marketing =====

 * Gave a presentation at Ubuntu Developer Week. Xubuntu is alive and
kicking hard!

 * Xubuntu needs a new Marketing Lead. Contact us per
http://xubuntu.org/devel if interested

===== Artwork =====

 * Chose a new Xubuntu logo to go with the new branding. Thanks to
Elizabeth Krumbach it can be seen at

 * Sent a call for artwork to be submitted for Maverick to
http://ubuntu-artists.deviantart.com/ .

===== Community =====

 * We are striving to get more users to blog about Xubuntu. We would
like to keep word out of the changes being made, as well as new

 * charlie-tca opened an account on indenti.ca to try and keep
everyone updated about changes and needs of Xubuntu. Username is

===== Documentation =====

 * Xubuntu needs a new Documentation Lead. Contact us per
http://xubuntu.org/devel if interested

=== Ubuntu LoCo Teams ===

==== Canadian Team ====

 * Contributed with tutorial about bug hunting at Kubuntu Tutorial Day

 * Hosted our first Ubuntu Hour in Waterloo
(http://loco.ubuntu.com/events/team/215/detail/ ).

 * Meetings: July 18 (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CanadianTeam/Meetings/2010-07-18)

 * Made a submission to Canada's Digital Economy Consultation on the
use and participation with open source software in government

 * Secured hosting for a new website and migrated old data.

 * Planning for participation in Ubuntu Global Jam in progress.

==== Catalan Team ====

 * July 16th: LoCo irc meeting. Place to hold next release party: CTUG
in Granollers (http://ctug.cat/).

 * July 16th: New sub-team created: Equip de Comunicació
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CatalanTeam/comunicacio) (Communications

    *Its primary tasks: inform to a wider audience about upcoming
events and increase the awareness of our LoCo Team.

 * July 30th: ALL the machines (204 desktops and about 15 laptops) run
on Lucid at the IES Torre Vicens Secondary School
(http://iestorrevicens.xtec.cat/) in Lleida. 3 years since we began
using it we've made all the machines ubuntaires (some of them with
dual start).

==== French Team ====

 * July 3rd : Premier Samedi du Libre (http://www.premier-samedi.org/)
in Paris<<BR>> This is a multi-distribution small install fest where
around 60 people use to come for help on configuring and installing

 * July 5th : weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting

 * July 6th to 11th : RMLL (http://2010.rmll.info/spip.php?lang=en) in
Bordeaux <<BR>>2010 Libre Software Meeting is a free (as a beer and as
a speech) and non commercial conference with talks, workshops and
round tables about Free Software and its uses. The LSM goal is to
provide a place for exchange between Free Software developers, users
and stakeholders. Ubuntu-fr was there on a booth and hold also a
permanent install fest. We had a live feed via a webcam also on the
install room.

 * July 12th : weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting

 * July 15th to 18th : Festival des Vieilles Charrues
(http://www.vieillescharrues.asso.fr/) in Carhaix<<BR>> The Vieilles
Charrues invited us for the second time to hold a webcafe on Ubuntu
for the festival-goers. We didn't put any restriction, neither on
which website were accessible, neither on Ubuntu, as we wanted people
to discover it. The only tweaks were password and history saving
disabled and a custom homepage. We also had a live feed via a webcam.
story (http://blog.yoboy.fr/post/2010/07/Ubuntu-fr-at-Les-Vieilles-Charrues),
photos (http://forum.ubuntu-fr.org/viewtopic.php?id=407788)

 * July 20th : French Team re-approval
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FrenchTeam/ApprovalApplication) <<BR>> We
attended to the LoCoCouncil meeting to apply for our team re-approval,
to keep our Official Team status. It was a good opportunity to make a
check point of all our activities.

 * July 25th : The Parisien Free software user group use to have a
outdoor party the last weekend of each summer month, which we

 * July 26th : weekly ubuntu-fr-webteam meeting

==== Ubuntu Ireland ====

 *  Barry Smyth (https://launchpad.net/~barrysmythdublin ) has kicked
off a project for the Irish Team. The profile of the day is an
initiative to encourage members of the Irish team to get to know each
other more. For more details see  here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/
http://www.lczajkowski.com/2010/07/18/profile-of-the-day/  ) and over
here (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam/ProfileOfTheDay )

 *  Laura Czajkowski  (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/czajkowski ), a member
of our loco headed off to Leeds to give a great talk on Ubuntu Women.
Write up  here  (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/

 * We held a Geeknic on the Sunday 18th of July in the  Peoples Park,
Dun Laoghaire  (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/
). It was a great day , the rain stayed off for a few hours. A nice
write up can be found  here
(http://www.lczajkowski.com/2010/07/22/dun-laoghaire-july-geeknic/ )
with some  photos (http://pix.ie/czajkowski/album/383074 ).

 * Regular Monthly IRC Meeting
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IrishTeam/IRCMeetings/2010-07-21) was held at
8pm Irish time on Wednesday 21st July 2010.

 * We had a great  Ubuntu Hour (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Hour) on the
28th of July at 6pm  at the  Trinity Capital Hotel bar
(http://www.trinitycapitalhotel.com/ ).

 * We had our first  Ubuntu Hour (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Hour) in
Limerick  on the 29th July at 6pm  at the Absolute Hotel. Write up

 * Planing is under way for a Bug Jam we will be holding next month as
part of Globe Jam.

==== Ubuntu Israel ====

 * Almost done building our new site and forums, instead of the old
ones that not under the LoCo's control.

 * Sent more than 50 Ubuntu CDs and almost 300 "Powered by Ubuntu"
badges all over the country!

 * The stuff we sent made us to get 300 NIS of donations, which is about $90.

 * Our Wiki page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IsraeliTeam) is in repairing
times, which means we're styling it and making sure we have all
necessary pages (like reports, meetings, agenda...)

 * We got approved to have a booth on August Penguin
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/August_Penguin), the biggest FLOSS event
of the year in Israel. fun!

 * 3 LoCo members had approved as Ubuntu Members! congratulations to
Moshenahmias, alonswartz and Netshine

==== Japanese Team ====

 * We have pressed 1,000 copies of the Ubuntu Japanese Remix 10.04 LTS
CD to distribute in events.

   * http://d.hatena.ne.jp/MIZUNO/20100708/1278575391

 * We attended Open Source Conference 2010 Kansai/Kyoto and held a
seminar. Slides and Videos are available from the link below.

   * https://wiki.ubuntulinux.jp/Events/OSC2010Kansai

 * The book "Ubuntu Linux Introduction Kit for 10.04" wrote by LoCo
members Jun Kobayashi and Nobuto Murata was released on July 15th.

   * http://www.shuwasystem.co.jp/products/7980html/2681.html

==== Quebec Team ====

''' Ubuntu Quebec team report for January-July 2010 '''

This is the first Ubuntu QC team report in quite some time. It
highlights the past few months activities. June, July and August are
typically slower months as Summer kicks in and everyone is out trying
to get some sun but the Ubuntu QC community has been anything but

''The Ubuntu Hour, held in February
(Montreal GeekFest (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/attachment:IMG_0448.jpg))

held in March'' (here's one in February

Here are highlights of recent activity:

 * In July, FabianRodriguez invited the locoteams and general Ubuntu
community to start using Shapado.com for their language-specific Q&A

 * Also in July, FabianRodriguez proposed and got confirmation to
offer an introductory informal course about free software and Linux at
a local library (Mile End library, on Park Ave, Montreal. The goal is
to experiment a new formula in creating local communities in
neighborhoods near the library. Ubuntu books have been donated
previously to this library.

 * A number of Ubuntu Hour events were held
with low but great attendance. Ubuntu users from abroad know this
event and actually plan their time in Montreal to meet us :) Employees
from the nearby Canonical office would bring hardware and Ubuntu
gadgets to share impressions on.

 * In June the highlight was a victory in court for Savoir Faire Linux
(a local company, also a Canonical training partner) who questioned
the local government contracting methods which favored Microsoft. Many
Ubuntu QC members followed this and participated in the effort.
Details at:

  * http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2010/06/03/quebec-microsoft-lawsuit.html

  * http://slashdot.org/submission/1252548/Free-software-wins-court-battle

 * In May a great event took place at a local IT school, SupInfo
Their students had attended the Global Jam which we organized
previously and organized this by themselves with out assistance.
FabianRodriguez presented there. The event was called "Libuntu" with
its own branding and website: http://www.libuntu.com/ - Low attendance
but a great collaboration to get huge space including free wifi and
many volunteers, a good step towards organizing more formal events.

 * Also in may, Launchpad developers that were in Montreal invited the
local community to meet them for drinks & chat

 * In April the Ubuntu Lucid party
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuebecTeam/LucidParty) - good attendance, and
this time we got 4 parties across the province, an all-time record.
Focus has been on de-centralizing the release parties, having flexible
dates and encouraging local, smaller events

 * Also in April, there was bragging about Ubuntu business cards

 * In March, we had a kiosk at the local GeekFest, very good
attendance. MagicFab, IdleOne and Montreal Global Jam
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Cyphermox) manned the kiosk.

 * In January and February the highlghts were several discussions
about local media and governement launching web sites that exclusively
used non-free formats, including bugg Flash implementations. In one
notable case (Tout.tv), the community hacked together a workaround in
a few hours and a 400+ people Facebook group brought attention to
absent Linux support from such sites. Details:

  * https://wiki.koumbit.net/touLibre

  * http://www.fabianrodriguez.com/blog/2010/02/10/thank-you-ubuntu-qc-and-facebook/

 * March 26th-28th the
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuebecTeam/GlobalJam10.03), many thanks to
attendance, bugwork and excellent presentations. We look forward to
the next one!!!

 * Started using http://ietherpad.com for quick, realtime translations
of information- this being a a multi-cultural province, we need to
present information in English and French in a timely manner which is
often a challenge. Etherpad makes it easy for *anyone* to organize and
contribute short translations

 * Great activity in our
(https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-quebec/): February: 272,
March: 371, April: 240, May: 228 messages, June: 193 messages, July:
133 messages. Subjects included: problems with Flash, LPIC
certifications, Antidote (an non-free dictionary / thesaurus for
French, with excellent Ubuntu support), Dell, hardware for Home
theaters (XBMC,etc), desktop applications support, events, and lots of

 * Other LUGs are increasingly announcing their activities in our
mailing list, which is a great signe of recognition - and provides
good opportunities to go out of the "Ubuntu bubble"

==== South African Ubuntu team ====

 * Ubuntu Hour 4 June and 2 July

 * Handed out Ubuntu cd's at the SULUG (Stellenbosch University Linux
User Group)'s beer evening July 26

 * IRC Meeting held 08 July 2010

 * Busy planning Global Jam

 *  Stefano becomes Motu

==== Ubuntu United Kingdom LoCo Team ====

 * Les Pounder ran another Ubuntu installation helpdesk at Barcamp
Blackpool - http://lespounder.wordpress.com/2010/07/07/barcamp-blackpool-2010/

 * Bruno Girin has been busy solving bugs in Shotwell and getting the
F-Spot import feature ready for Maverick. Blog post to come soon.

 * The Ubuntu In Business event was held at the BrickHouse in London.
About 100 people attended presentations and demonstrations focusing on
the use of Ubuntu in the work environment. A great time was had by
all, however the bar staff did question the competence of the
Vancouver LoCo mixologists who invented the Ubuntini.

 * Two episodes of the Ubuntu UK Podcast were released.

 * Meetings held on irc on 7th and 21st July

 * We have started playing Profile Roulette

 * Isabell Long was interviewed by Full Circle Magazine (issue 39, page 35)

===== US Teams Project =====

 * Published next in series of interviews and articles with approved
state teams:

  * LoCos, Leaders, and Lessons Learned: Massachusetts Team

===== Ubuntu California =====

 * IRC meetings on July 11th
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/10July11) and June
25th (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CaliforniaTeam/Meetings/10July25) to
discuss Ubuntu Hours, Linux Picnic, our website, and creating a second

 * Lake Forest Ubuntu Hours

  * July 1st (announcement (http://nhaines.livejournal.com/53693.html))

  * July 8th & 15th (announcement (http://nhaines.livejournal.com/53977.html))

  * July 22nd & 29th (announcement (http://nhaines.livejournal.com/54176.html))

 * Hosted a San Francisco Ubuntu Hour on July 27th

===== Ubuntu Chicago LoCo Team =====

 * Monthly IRC Meeting on July 6, 2010

  * Discussed the upcoming team bike ride

  * Discussed the idea of creating team shirts

 * Team Bike Ride on July 18, 2010

  * We met at the Geneva train station and rode 16 miles along the Fox
River trail

  * This was a pure social event.

 * A new member of our LoCo, kmrs75, has been doing some terrific work
creating some mock-ups
(http://s684.photobucket.com/albums/vv203/techsx2/Chicago%20LoCo/) for
our team shirt.

===== Iowa Team =====

 * July Meeting

    * July 29, 2010 (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MeetingLogs/IowaTeam/20100729)

===== New York State Team =====

 * July 1 2010 7pm - 8pm: Ubuntu Hour at Borders Books near Eastview Mall

 * July 17 2010 12pm - 4pm: Linux Workshop co-sponsored with Interlock
at Interlock Rochester

 * No mettings held

=== Ubuntu North Carolina LoCo Team ===

 * Held two LoCo team IRC meetings

   *  July 1st (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NorthCarolinaTeam/Meeting/2010-07-01
) Meeting

   *  July 15th
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NorthCarolinaTeam/Meeting/2010-07-15 )

 * Members of the NC LoCo team participated in UUD-Lucid

===== Ohio Team =====

 * Cincinnati Ubuntu Hour on July 1st

 * Akron Ubuntu Hour on July 2ed

 * Columbus Ubuntu Hour on July 14th

 * Cincinnati Ubuntu Hour on July 15th

 * Akron Ubuntu Hour on July 16th

 * Columbus Ubuntu Hour on July 28th

 * Cincinnati Ubuntu Hour on July 29th

 * Akron Ubuntu Hour on July 30th

=== Additional Ubuntu Teams ===

==== Ubuntu Beginners Team ====

 * Regular Monthly Meeting on July 13, 2010

  * Diego Turcios discussed his idea for a programming academy for the
Development Focus Group: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DiegoTurcios/DevFG

  * Reviewed the list of mentees in need of mentors in an effort to
get this list down to zero.

  * Mitch Towner (kermiac), the bug traiging machine, joined the
Ubuntu Beginners Team. He is highly motivated, friendly , and ready to
help when he can, and will be a great addition to the team.

 * Steve Woodruff (swoody) replaced Zach Kriesse (zkriesse) as the
Wiki Focus Group leader.

==== Ubuntu Classroom Team ====

 * Sat 10 Jul - Sun 11 Jul: Ubuntu User Days
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UserDays) (logs

 * Mon 12 Jul - Fri 16 Jul: Ubuntu Developer Week

 * Thu 22 Jul Gerfried Fuchs led Working with Debian BTS for (not
only) Ubuntu Contributors
(https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Packaging/Training/Logs/2010-07-22) for
Packaging/Training (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Packaging/Training)

 * Wed 28 Jul Phill Whiteside led Installing a LAMP server

==== Ubuntu Women Team ====

 * Laura Czajkowski spoke on Ubuntu Women and the Global Community at
the CLC in Leeds in July
) Link to slides are HERE (http://cypher.skynet.ie/Leeds/ )

 * Team meeting July 8th (http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Meetings/20100708)

 * Team meeting July 22nd (http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Meetings/20100722)

 * New logo files!

 * Elizabeth Krumbach posted "Ubuntu Women Project Status – Mid 2010"
report on her blog: http://princessleia.com/journal/?p=3111

 * Valorie Zimmerman represented Ubuntu Washington and handed out
Ubuntu Women filers (http://wiki.ubuntu-women.org/Resources) (SVG
format flier for U-W v3) at OSCON

 * Of the 617 Ubuntu Members at the end of this month 4.7% are women

 * Full Circle Magazine, Issue #39
(http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-39/) with interview of Isabell

== Upcoming Meetings and Events ==

=== Monday, 2 August 2010 ===

==== Security Team Catch-up ====

 * Start: 17:00 UTC
 * End: 17:30 UTC
 * Location: #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: Weekly Ubuntu Security Team catch-up meeting.  Anyone is
welcome to join if they want to watch, contribute, etc.

=== Tuesday, 3 August 2010 ===

==== Asia - Oceania RMB Meeting ====

 * Start: 10:00 UTC
 * End: 11:00 UTC
 * Location: #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership/RegionalBoards/AsiaOceania

==== Ubuntu Mobile Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 13:00 UTC
 * End: 14:00 UTC
 * Location: #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Meeting

==== Developer Membership Board ====

 * Start: 14:00 UTC
 * End: 15:00 UTC
 * Location: #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

==== Desktop Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 16:30 UTC
 * End: 17:30 UTC
 * Location: #ubuntu-desktop
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting

==== Kernel Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 17:00 UTC
 * End: 18:00 UTC
 * Location: #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

==== EMEA Membership Meeting ====

 * Start: 20:00 UTC
 * End: 21:00 UTC
 * Location: #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership/RegionalBoards/EMEA

==== Community Council Meeting ====

 * Start: 21:00 UTC
 * End: 23:00 UTC
 * Location: #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityCouncilAgenda

=== Wednesday, 4 August 2010 ===

==== Weekly Ubuntu Foundations Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 15:00 UTC
 * End: 16:00 UTC
 * Location: #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FoundationsTeam

==== Jono Bacon @ Home ====

 * Start: 18:00 UTC
 * End: 19:00 UTC
 * Location: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/at-home-with-jono-bacon
 * Agenda: This is a weekly videocast by the Ubuntu Community Manager,
Jono Bacon in which he discusses a range of topics and also provides a
regular weekly Q+A.

==== Edubuntu Meeting ====

 * Start: 19:00 UTC
 * End: 20:00 UTC
 * Location: #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Edubuntu/Meetings/Agenda

==== QA Team ====

 * Start: 19:00 UTC
 * End: 20:00 UTC
 * Location: #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Meetings

=== Thursday, 5 August 2010 ===

==== Packaging Training: Fixing Small Bugs In Ubuntu ====

 * Start: 06:00 UTC
 * End: 07:00 UTC
 * Location: #ubuntu-classroom
 * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

==== Ayatana UX Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 12:00 UTC
 * End: 12:30 UTC
 * Location: #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: Introductions, Review team charter, Organize first UX
activity, Brainstorm future UX activities

==== Ubuntu Translations Meeting ====

 * Start: 15:00 UTC
 * End: 16:00 UTC
 * Location: #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TranslatingUbuntu/Events/Meetings

==== Ubuntu News Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 23:00 UTC
 * End: 00:00 UTC
 * Location: #ubuntu-news
 * Agenda: TBD

=== Friday, 6 August 2010 ===

==== Maverick Weekly Release Meeting ====

 * Start: 15:00 UTC
 * End: 16:30 UTC
 * Location: #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam/Meeting/Agenda

=== Saturday, 7 August 2010 ===

=== Sunday, 8 August 2010 ===

==== Ubuntu Forums Unanswered Posts Team ====

 * Start: 21:00 UTC
 * End: 22:00 UTC
 * Location: #ubuntuforums-unanswered
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UnansweredPostsTeam/Meetings

== Updates and Security for 6.06, 8.04, 9.04, 9.10, and 10.04 ==

=== Security Updates ===

 * USN-958-1: Thunderbird vulnerabilities - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-958-1
 * USN-957-2: Firefox and Xulrunner vulnerability -
 * USN-930-6: Firefox and Xulrunner vulnerability -
 * USN-964-1: Likewise Open vulnerability - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-964-1

=== Ubuntu 6.06 Updates ===

 * None Reported

=== Ubuntu 8.04 Updates ===

 * None Reported

=== Ubuntu 9.04 Updates ===

 * mlmmj 1.2.15-1.1+lenny1build0.9.04.1 -

=== Ubuntu 9.10 Updates ===

 * devicekit-disks 007-2ubuntu7 -
 * ifupdown 0.6.8ubuntu21.3 -
 * mlmmj 1.2.15-1.1+lenny1build0.9.10.1 -
 * openbravo-erp 2.50MP-20-1karmic1 -

=== Ubuntu 10.04 Updates ===

 * likewise-open -
 * sawfish 1: -
 * ardour 1:2.8.6-1ubuntu0.1 -
 * xfce4-notifyd 0.1.0-4ubuntu1.1 -
 * editra 0.5.30-1ubuntu0.1 -
 * wxwidgets2.8 -
 * wxwidgets2.6 -
 * libsmbios 2.2.13-0ubuntu4.1 -
 * openldap 2.4.21-0ubuntu5.1 -
 * gjs 0.5-1ubuntu2.2 -
 * qjackctl 0.3.4-0ubuntu4.1 -
 * mysql-dfsg-5.1 5.1.41-3ubuntu12.5 -
 * gnome-keyring 2.92.92.is.2.30.3-0ubuntu1.1 -
 * mysql-dfsg-5.1 5.1.41-3ubuntu12.6 -
 * openbravo-erp-openjdk 2.50MP-20-1lucid1 -

== UWN Translations ==

 * Note to translators and our readers please follow the link below
for the information you need.

== UWN Sneak Peek ==

 * Debian Based Firewalled Router -

 * Caspar Clemens Mierau: Desktop Summit 2011 in Berlin -

 * Mohamad Faizul Zulkifli: Ubuntu-hams Malaysia At KL Tower Hamfest
2010 - http://9w2pju.blogspot.com/2010/07/malaysia-ubuntu-hams-at-kl-tower.html

 * Kmart Android tablets and the GPL - http://mjg59.livejournal.com/126162.html

 * Smuxi -User-friendly and cross-platform IRC client for
sophisticated users for GNOME/GTK+ -

 * Dell Ask You To Choose Windows or Ubuntu -

 * Pinguy OS (Remastered Ubuntu) - Ubuntu After A Week Of
Customizations [Review] -

 * New GNOME Shell Mockups Look Like Unity, Nautilus Elementary -

 * Kubuntu Netbook (10.10) Application Menu ("Global Menu") Is Finally
Ready! - http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/webupd8/~3/FamLfIu4YBE/kubuntu-netbook-1010-application-menu.html

 * Ubuntu Software Center (2.1.6) Gets Yet Another Slight Redesign -

 * Get Notified When A Job You Run In A Terminal Is Done, Using
NotifyOSD  - http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/webupd8/~3/SvSQOYTrIUE/get-notified-when-job-you-run-in.html

 * The Best Linux Main Menu -

 * Embracing the Web - http://mdzlog.alcor.net/2010/07/26/embracing-the-web/

 * Dell expands Ubuntu Linux desktop offerings -

== Subscribe ==

Get your copy of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter delivered each week to
you via email at:

== Archives and RSS Feed ==

You can subscribe to the Ubuntu Weekly News via RSS at:

== Additional Ubuntu News ==

== Conclusion ==

== Credits ==

The Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter is brought to you by:

 * Amber Graner
 * Liraz Siri
 * Nathan Handler
 * Jonathan Carter
 * nUboon2Age
 * And many others

== Glossary of Terms ==

Other acronyms can be found at

== Ubuntu - Get Involved ==

The Ubuntu community consists of individuals and teams, working on
different aspects of the distribution, giving advice and technical
support, and helping to promote Ubuntu to a wider audience. No
contribution is too small, and anyone can help. It's your chance to
get in on all the community fun associated with developing and
promoting Ubuntu. http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate

== Feedback ==

This document is maintained by the Ubuntu Weekly News Team. If you
have a story idea or suggestions for the Weekly Newsletter, join the
Ubuntu News Team mailing list at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-news-team and submit
it. Ideas can also be added to the wiki at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Ideas. If you'd like to
contribute to a future issue of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, please
feel free to edit the appropriate wiki page. If you have any technical
support questions, please send them to ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com.

Except where otherwise noted, content in this isse is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License -