Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #188

John Crawford johnc4510 at ubuntu.com
Sun Apr 11 22:02:57 BST 2010

Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue #188 for the week April
4th - April 10th, 2010. In this issue we cover: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Beta 2
released, Countdown Banner is live, help spread the word, Regional
Membership Boards: Restaffing, Call for New Operators in the #ubuntu,
#kubuntu and #ubuntu-offtopic channels, Patch Day, May 5th 2010, Next
Ubuntu Hug Day! - April 15, Being passionate about some things, Website
Localization Project Meeting, Reviving the Ubuntu Accessibility Team,
Ubuntu One contact phone sync opened again, Canonical Upgrading GNOME
Bugzilla and Commercial Sponsorship, Ubuntu's News Web Office
Integration, and much, much more!

== UWN Translations ==

* Note to translators and our readers: We are trying a new way of
linking to our translations pages. Please follow the link below for the
information you need.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Translations

== In This Issue ==

* Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Beta 2 released
* Countdown Banner is live, help spread the word
* Regional Membership Boards: Restaffing
* Call for New Operators in the #ubuntu, #kubuntu and #ubuntu-offtopic
channels
* Patch Day, May 5th 2010
* Next Ubuntu Hug Day! - April 15
* Ubuntu Stats
* Launchpad News
* Being passionate about some things
* Website Localization Project Meeting
* Reviving the Ubuntu Accessibility Team
* Ubuntu One contact phone sync opened again
* In the Press & Blogosphere
* Canonical Upgrading GNOME Bugzilla and Commercial Sponsorship
* Ubuntu's News Web Office Integration
* Upcoming Meetings & Events
* Updates & Security

== General Community News ==

=== Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Beta 2 released ===

The Ubuntu team is pleased to announce the second beta release of Ubuntu
10.04 LTS (Long-Term Support) Desktop and Server Editions and Ubuntu
10.04 LTS Server for Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud (UEC) and Amazon's EC2, as
well as Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook Edition. Codenamed "Lucid Lynx", 10.04 LTS
continues Ubuntu's proud tradition of integrating the latest and
greatest open source technologies into a high-quality, easy-to-use Linux
distribution.

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Desktop Edition and Ubuntu 10.04 Netbook Edition
continue the trend of ever-faster boot speeds, with improved start-up
times and a streamlined, smoother boot experience.

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server Edition provides even better integration of the
Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud, with its install-time cloud setup.

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS Server for UEC and EC2 brings the power and stability
of the Ubuntu Server Edition to cloud computing, whether you're using
Amazon EC2 or your own Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud.

The Ubuntu 10.04 family of variants, Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu, Ubuntu
Studio, and Mythbuntu, also reach beta status today.

Ubuntu is a full-featured Linux distribution for desktops, laptops, and
servers, with a fast and easy installation and regular releases. A
tightly-integrated selection of excellent applications is included, and
an incredible variety of add-on software is just a few clicks away.

For more detailed information on the different Ubuntu Beta 2 releases,
and a list of the download mirrors, please visit the link below.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2010-April/000131.html

=== Countdown Banner is live, help spread the word ===

Matthew Nuzum has announced that the Ubuntu countdown banner is alive
and counting down the days until 10.04 LTS is released. Lets help build
some excitement by spreading the word! We'll need your help to tell
others about the banner. You can start by adding one of the three
options to your website, the instructions are at
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/countdown There is also a static banner
for those who have website or blogs that don't use Java scripting.

A special thank you goes out to the artists who created this years
chosen entries:

* John Baer for the "change" artwork
* Immanuel Peratoner for the "orange" artwork
* Amanda Warzecha for the "lynx" artwork

Congratulations for the great work!

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-news-team/2010-April/000931.html

=== Regional Membership Boards: Restaffing ===

On 2010-05-05 the following members of the Regional Membership Boards
will expire:

* Americas: Cody A.W. Somerville, Elizabeth Krumbach, Mike Basinger,
Pedro Villavivencio, Richard Johnson
* Asia/Oceania: Andi Darmawan, Emmet Hikory, Luke Yelavich, Melissa
Draper, Robert Collins, Zak B. Elep, ஆமாச்சு (amachu)
* EMEA: Alan Pope, Dennis Kaarsemaker, Mark Van den Borre, Matthew
Helmke, Stéphane Graber, Szilvester Farkas

We are looking for nominations for the boards. You can either nominate
yourself or somebody else. Please add some information about yourself to
the mail. (Expiring members can be re-nominated too.)

We have the following requirements for nominees:

* be an Ubuntu member
* be confident that you can judge contributions to various parts of our
community
* be available during typical meeting times of the board in question
* insight into the culture(s) and typical activities within a geographic
region covered by the board is a plus

Here a slightly longer version that explains a bit better what kind of
community members we are looking for: Those sitting on membership boards
are people who are insightful. They are current Ubuntu Members with a
proven track record of activity in the community. They have shown
themselves over time to be able to work well with others and display the
positive aspects of the Ubuntu Code of Conduct. They should be people
who can discern character and judge contribution quality without emotion
while engaging in an interview/discussion that communicates interest, a
welcoming atmosphere, and which is marked by humanity, gentleness, and
kindness. Even when they must deny applications, they should do so in
such a way that applicants walk away with a sense of hopefulness and a
desire to return with a more complete application rather than feeling
discouraged or hurt.

To nominate yourself or somebody else, please send a mail to the board
you are nominating yourself for (ubuntu-membership-board-emea,
ubuntu-membership-board-asia-oceania or ubuntu-membership-board-americas
at lists.ubuntu.com). Try to explain your nomination. There is still
time for nominations until Fri 23rd April 2010 12 UTC. All nominations
will be forwarded to the Community Council who will make the final decision.

A special thanks goes out to the dedication everybody put into their
jobs as board members.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-news-team/2010-April/000932.html

=== Call for New Operators in the #ubuntu, #kubuntu and #ubuntu-offtopic
channels ===

The IRCC is now taking applications for a number of new operator
positions in the following channels: #ubuntu #kubuntu and
#ubuntu-offtopic. The particular area of need is for people with
availability between the times of 12am to 7am UTC.

So if you’re active on our IRC channels and you are available in the
specified times (or at least part of them), and if you’ve been aching to
help, you should consider applying for membership! You might get your
chance if:

* You are great at resolving conflicts
* You are very patient. Superhuman nerve control is a basic IRC operator
feature
* You can take criticism
* You are happy when helping and advising others
* In addition to the Code of Conduct and our IRC Guidelines, you are
happy to adhere to some additional guidelines :)

In general, please do not consider becoming an operator because it could
be “fun”. It is not, it’s hard work. However, it is often quite
rewarding, and you get to operate with a great team of people. You don’t
need to be an IRC guru, but you do need to know enough to be able to
learn more.

Please be aware that *many* applicants will not become operators for
various reasons. This will not necessarily be because we think you would
make a bad operator. Only a limited number of operators are ever needed,
some timezones are better covered already than others, and so on.

IMPORTANT: Please follow the application process at:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IRC/IrcTeam/OperatorRequirements and
additionally note your available times on your wiki page. Having your
wiki page listed on your LP page is also useful to aid us in finding
your information.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-news-team/2010-April/000926.html

=== Patch Day, May 5th 2010 ===

The Ubuntu Reviewers Team would like to announce the first Patch Day,
which will take place on May 5, 2010. For those of you not familiar with
the problem we are trying to solve, I have blogged about it [1].

Patch Day is a concept similar to Hug Days where we will test patches,
and forward working patches upstream. If the bug is critical enough, we
will try to get the patch applied in Ubuntu immediately. We'd like your
help to get these submissions reviewed, and if necessary sent upstream
so that they don't bitrot, and to encourage people to continue helping
us improve open source software.

We will be following the Review Guide [2] for reviewing patches.
Reviewer Leaders can sign up to be contacts on an hourly basis [3].
Contact responsibilities include helping to answer questions from new
contributors, unsubscribing the ~ubuntu-reviewers team when required,
and answering development-related questions.

If you're a newbie looking for a way to start getting involved with
Ubuntu development? Patch review is where we need your help.

1. http://justanothertriager.wordpress.com/2010/03/16/1801-bugs/
2. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReviewersTeam/GettingInvolved
3. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PatchDay

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2010-April/030581.html

=== Next Ubuntu Hug Day! - April 15 ===

The next BugDay will be taking aim at the Software Center.