Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #163

John Crawford johnc4510 at ubuntu.com
Sun Oct 11 23:12:42 BST 2009

Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue #163 for the week October
4th - October 10th, 2009. In this issue we cover: 2009 Community Council
vote complete, Ubuntu Server Eucalyptus Testers Needed, Developer
Membership Board Meeting: New Approval Process, Ubuntu Translation
Templates Priority, New MOTU's, LoCo News: Catalan, Copenhagen, & Paris,
Bazaar 2.0.0: interview with Martin Pool, Help us improve Launchpad’s
icons, Ubuntu Forums Interview & Tutorial of the Week, The Planet: Joey
Stanford & Roderick Greening, Ubuntu 9.10 - Almost Perfect, Hulu Desktop
(Linux), and much, much more!

== UWN Translations ==

  * Note to translators and our readers: We are trying a new way of
linking to our translations pages. Please follow the link below for the
information you need.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Translations

== In This Issue ==

  * 2009 Community Council vote complete
  * Ubuntu Server Eucalyptus Testers Needed
  * Developer Membership Board Meeting: New Approval Process
  * Ubuntu Translation Templates Priority
  * New MOTU's
  * Ubuntu Stats
  * LoCo News: Catalan, Copenhagen, & Paris
  * Bazaar 2.0.0: interview with Martin Pool
  * Help us improve Launchpad’s icons
  * Ubuntu Forums Interview & Tutorial of the Week
  * The Planet: Joey Stanford & Roderick Greening
  * In the Press & Blogosphere
  * Ubuntu 9.10 - Almost Perfect
  * Hulu Desktop (Linux)
  * Upcoming Meetings & Events
  * Updates & Security

== General Community News ==

=== 2009 Community Council vote complete ===

Thanks to all Ubuntu members who participated in the CC ballot. The new
community council takes office immediately, and (in alphabetical order)
comprises:

  * Alan Pope
  * Benjamin Mako Hill
  * Daniel Holbach
  * Elizabeth Krumbach
  * Matthew East
  * Mike Basinger
  * Richard Johnson

We had several additional candidates, and the ballot was richer for
their willingness to stand. I'd like to thank all of them, and in
addition would like to thank James Troup who steps down from the CC
after 5 years as a founding member.

Welcome to the new faces, I look forward to two wonderful years of good
governance in the Ubuntu community!

The structures by which we organise tens of thousands of participants
have matured substantially in the past years. We have a deeper and
richer LoCo structure today than ever before (thanks to those who lead
there). The Forums Council has matured in its role and sets the example
for delegated leadership from the CC. The Tech Board has lead the
restructuring of the developer community, and so we are merging the
excellent MOTU Council into the new Developer Membership Board,
providing a more granular view of developer participation across the
huge Ubuntu archive. Ubuntu Translations are now more formally lead. All
in all, I'm proud of the commitment this community continues to show
towards effective leadership, and the willingness of members of the
community to step up and participate in that way. Thank you all!

Mark Shuttleworth

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-news-team/2009-October/000720.html

=== Ubuntu Server Eucalyptus Testers Needed ===

Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala loves Eucalyptus, the Open Source system for
implementing on-premise private and hybrid clouds using the hardware and
software infrastructure that is in place, without modification. This
allows you to run your own private cloud on your own hardware and
infrastructure. Sound interesting? It really is, and this a rocking new
feature in the new Ubuntu Server edition.

As we build to release, we could really use your help to make sure that
Karmic Koala’s Eucalyptus support is rock solid. This post outlines how
you can test this functionality, and provide some valuable feedback. You
need two machines, one of which has to be capable of handling KVM.

The full instructions for testing can be found at the link below.
Discussion about Eucalyptus can be posted directly to the ubuntu-devel
mailing list and you are welcome to join the server development team in
the #ubuntu-server IRC channel on irc.freenode.net.

http://www.jonobacon.org/2009/10/09/ubuntu-server-eucalyptus-testers-needed/

=== Developer Membership Board Meeting: New Approval Process ===

We recently shifted the responsibility for approving new Ubuntu
developers from the Technical Board (TB) to the new Developer Membership
Board (DMB). This, and the parallel ongoing archive/privilege
restructuring raised some disputes how the future
process of developer approval should look like.

There will be a DMB meeting next week at Tuesday, October 13th, at 14:00
UTC in #ubuntu-meeting. It is a public meeting, so everyone is welcome
to attend.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2009-October/000629.html

=== Ubuntu Translation Templates Priority ===

The Ubuntu Translators team is trying to improve the ordering of
translations templates with the following goals:

  * highlight Ubuntu specific translations, ones not available in
upstream projects
  * highlight translations with a big impact to non-English speaking users
  * create a minimum set of templates that will assure a usable system,
helping new team by providing a fast track
  * reduce the probability of having duplicate work by translating the
same string upstream and downstream

We have start defining categories and creating lists of templates for
each category, and keep them on Translations/TemplatesPriority wikipage.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/TemplatesPriority

Right now the wikipage is pretty crude, some packages are missing while
other are obsolete. Feel free to improve the lists.

Also we would like to receive some feedback regarding the current
categories and their priority.

You can leave your feedback here or join the discussion on
ubuntu-translators mailing list.

http://adi.roiban.ro/2009/10/05/ubuntu-translation-templates-priority/

=== New MOTU's ===

  * MC Meeting, 2009-10-09:
   * Travis Watkins was welcomed back to the MOTU team and recommended
for upload rights for compiz-related packages.
   * Robert Ancell joined the MOTU team.

  * Open (65376) +1140 # over last week
  * Critical (30) -5 # over last week
  * Unconfirmed (31015) +711 # over last week
  * Unassigned (56757) +1085 # over last week
  * All bugs ever reported (324500) +4064 # over last week

As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started,
please see  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

=== Translation Stats Jaunty ===

  * Spanish (10490) -144 over last week
  * French (36412) -715 over last week
  * Brazilian Portuguese (46525) -1223 over last week
  * Swedish (53304) +126 over last week
  * English (United Kingdom) (53342) -73 over last week

Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope," see
more at: https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/

=== Translation Stats Karmic ===

  * Spanish (16626) +417 over last week
  * French (62207) +772 over last week
  * Brazilian Portuguese (68341) -1314 over last week
  * Swedish (71292) +432 over last week
  * English (Uk) (88814) +1374 over last week

Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala", see more
at: https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/

=== Ubuntu Brainstorm Top 5 this week ===

==== Ubuntu Brainstorm Top 5 this week ====

  * Nautilus: ability to rename, delete, etc. in open/save dialog
windows - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/21686/
  * Ubuntu lacks a standard for webcam settings -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/21768/
  * Gmail Integration in Evolution -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/21786/
  * Make Ubuntu Netbook Remix for other processors than intel atom -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/21684/
  * Have gnome accept non-rectangular desktops -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/21766/

Ubuntu Brainstorm is a community site geared toward letting you add your
ideas for Ubuntu. You can submit your own idea, or vote for or against
another idea. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

== LoCo News ==

=== Catalan LoCo Team Jam ===

The Catalan Team ran a translation and a packaging/bug-fixing jam and
they had exceptional participation (about 20 people at peak time). Most
importantly though, they had a good time. The event took place at the
Citilab computing center in Cornellà, near Barcelona, and they'd like to
thank them along with all those who participated in the jam. Pictures at
the link below and also here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alexm/sets/72157622384284789/

http://davidplanella.wordpress.com/2009/10/04/ubuntu-jamming-catalan-style/

=== Late Global Jam in Copenhagen ===

While Copenhagen didn't quite manage to get their Global Bug Jam in on
the same date as the rest of the Ubuntu World, they still managed to get
it done. They worked primarily on bug triaging, however they also had a
quick look at the features of Empathy (the new default instant messaging
client in Karmic Koala), and the Ubuntudanmark Podcast guys did a quick
segment for their next podcast.

http://compadre.dk/blog/2009/10/11/late-global-jam-in-copenhagen/

=== Paris global jam in France ===

This event is also organized by ubuntu-fr, and held in Paris. They had a
testing jam for the new rocking Karmic beta version, in addition to
doing some wiki cleanup. Lots of pictures at the link below.

http://blog.didrocks.fr/index.php/post/Live-from-Paris-global-jam-in-France

== Launchpad News ==

=== Bazaar 2.0.0: interview with Martin Pool ===

The Bazaar project released their version 2.0.0 this week. Matthew
Revell spoke to Martin Pool, the project’s lead, about the release and
Bazaar generally. Matthew asked Martin what was new and cool about the
release:

“Harder, better, stronger, faster” — we made our new 2a format the
default and it’s considerably smaller and faster. Ian’s recent
benchmarks show repositories in this format are substantially smaller
than for Mercurial, and roughly the same size as for Git. Of course
results do vary but it does correlate, and determines how much data we
have to transfer from local disk or across the network.

The other cool thing about this release is that it’s the start of a
stable series of 2.0.1 releases, where we’ll be landing only bugfixes
and (as much as we can manage it) no new bugs or features, no API
compatibility breaks, and no format changes. We’ve heard from users that
in some situations they find our monthly releases too much, so we’re now
going to give them the choice of a more stable series, or to keep
getting new features every month with the 2.1betas.

The full interview is available at the link below.

http://blog.launchpad.net/bazaar/bazaar-2-0-0-interview-with-martin-pool

=== Help us improve Launchpad’s icons ===

We’re trying to improve the icons we have in Launchpad so they’re more
usable across different cultures and types of users, and our first step
is to do some user testing on our current icons.

The Canonical User Experience team has set up a survey to gather
information on how users see our icons, so if you have a few spare
minutes (it’s very quick!), please take the survey and pass it on to
other people, especially if they don’t use Launchpad, as they will be
less biased. Here’s the link:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=6iwthaIT4FwPCsMPa1EDEA_3d_3d

http://blog.launchpad.net/general/help-us-improve-launchpads-icons

== Ubuntu Forums News ==

=== An Interview With cariboo907 ===

It’s that time again! Today Joe Barker interviews one of the new
additions to the Ubuntu Forum Staff, cariboo907. According to Joe, Jim
is very calm and focused no matter what the situation, and in my opinion
– a wonderful addition to the staff. In the interview, we get some
insight about Jim's personal life, past and present. Refer to the link
below to read the whole interview.

http://blog.joeb454.com/2009/10/an-interview-with-cariboo907/

=== UF Tutorial of the Week ===

Today we'll step out of the Tutorials & Tips section to visit two
tutorials, one of them in T&T, the other one in the current Karmic
Development section. Both threads will show you everything you always
wanted to know about grub2 (but were afraid to ask). Both are from
drs305 (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=223945). grub2 is default
with Karmic and can be installed on Jaunty.

The first one, "GRUB 2 Basics" will get you started with grub2, in
particular with the /boot/grub/grub.cfg and /etc/default/grub
files. The second one, "Grub 2 Title Tweaks Thread" will help you tweak
grub2 titles to your desire. Before upgrading to Karmic, make sure you
read both of them!

Special mention to ranch hand's
(http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=647614) "Grub2 Introduction"
(http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1285897) for links to grub2
documentation.

"GRUB 2 Basics" http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1195275

"Grub 2 Title Tweaks Thread"

== The Planet ==

=== Joey Stanford: Ubuntu Tribal Leadership ===

The Ubuntu community is a tribe.  In fact, inside Ubuntu we have
different tribes (some represented formally by teams like MOTU, Core
Devs, LoCo Teams, and the like).  Canonical, the commercial sponsor of
Ubuntu, is a different tribe. Canonical as well has different
“sub-tribes”. Upstreams, the valuable authors of programs inside Ubuntu,
each have their own tribe.   How do we lead and cooperate with all of
these tribes and “sub-tribes” and do it well?  Or, in Ubuntu tribal
speak, one might ask how do we advance the vision of Ubuntu?  To get a
better sense of the question and some answers, I encourage you to watch
David Logan’s talk on tribal leadership.
http://www.ted.com/talks/david_logan_on_tribal_leadership.html

http://joey.ubuntu-rocks.org/blog/2009/10/10/ubuntu-tribal-leadership/

=== Roderick Greening: Arora 0.10 in Kubuntu 9.10 ===

For anyone looking to try out a lightweight browser under KDE (or even
Gnome for that matter), they should definitely give Arora a test run.

For the upcoming Karmic Koala release, we have worked very closely with
the upstream Arora developers to ensure we have a nicely integrated
browser, which can serve as an alternative to the default system browser.

For example, in this release, we see AdBlock support as well as wallet
(password/form autofill) support. This was missing in the 0.9 and
earlier series, and was definitely a feature I missed when testing out
this, otherwise, fantastic browser.

Now that it has the wallet and AdBlock features, I can heartily
recommend that everyone give it a serious try. If you find the default
system browser doesn't work on some of your favorite sites or you find
Firefox to be a bit bloated, then you will surely love Arora.

Check out www.kubuntu.org for details on downloading the new Karmic
Koala beta or if you already have the beta running, simply install Arora
in Add/Remove software.

http://roderick-greening.blogspot.com/2009/10/arora-010-in-kubuntu-910.html

== In The Press ==

=== New Ubuntu Community Council elected ===

The H Online reports that a new Ubuntu Community Council has been
elected. Seven members were elected by the community from the twelve
candidates selected by Ubuntu founder and sponsor Mark Shuttleworth. New
council members include Daniel Holbach (Germany), Matthew East (UK),
Mike Basinger (US), Benjamin Mako Hill (US), Alan Pope (UK) and Richard
Johnson (US). The only woman on the team is Debian system administrator
Elizabeth Krumbach (US). She has been a member of several Ubuntu teams
since 2007 and is also a member of Ubuntu-Women. According to
Shuttleworth, "the new community council takes office immediately".
Appointments to the council are for a period of two years.
http://www.h-online.com/open/New-Ubuntu-Community-Council-elected--/news/114414

=== Dell's Ubuntu 9.04 Offers More Changes ===

Phoronix's Michael Larabel says that Ubuntu 9.04 was released back in
April while the next release, Ubuntu 9.10, will be out in less than
three weeks. However, only recently has Dell been getting around to
rolling out their Linux desktops, netbooks, and notebooks with an Ubuntu
9.04 installation option rather than Ubuntu 8.10. In a blog post on
Direct2Dell, Dell's John Hull has commented on some of the technical
changes to be found with those Dell systems shipping with Ubuntu 9.04
"Jaunty Jackalope" -- including those that are available with Ubuntu
Moblin Remix. These changes are good to see and that Dell continues to
invest in their Ubuntu offerings, albeit this is coming six months after
Ubuntu 9.04 was released. Whether Dell will begin offering Ubuntu 9.10
systems on the heals of the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is yet unknown.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzU5Mw

=== Screenshots Tour of Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 Beta ===

Damien of MakeTechEasier notes that six months down the road, it’s time
to gear up for the newly born Ubuntu baby again. This time, Ubuntu 9.10,
codenamed Karmic Koala, will be officially released on the 29th of
October.  The folks at MakeTechEasier have grabbed the LiveCD image,
wiped their machines clean and installed the full version onto them.
They now present you the screenshots tour (and new features) review of
Ubuntu Karmic Koala 9.10 beta. Hit the following link for more.
http://maketecheasier.com/screenshots-tour-ubuntu-karmic-910/2009/10/06

=== Shuttleworth at LinuxCon: Will Ubuntu Lead Free Software? ===

IT Management's Bruce Byfield knows that when Mark Shuttleworth talks,
the free and open source software (FOSS) world listens. Shuttleworth
gives technical suggestions about how free software can improve, and
emphasizes that improvements will attract both developers and users to
free software. Byfield questions some of Shuttleworth's points though.
"Is cadence necessary? Does it conflict with quality? Is design already
receiving sufficient attention? Is greater participation an unalloyed
good?" Follow this link to Byfield's article and see if you agree.
http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3842626/Shuttleworth-at-LinuxCon-Will-Ubuntu-Lead-Free-Software.htm

=== The Ubuntu obsession of Tanner Helland ===

Steven Rosenberg tells us that he has been looking in on Tanner
Helland's Ubuntu-rich blog for some time, and he recently found a
virtual motherlode of well-researched and reasoned opinions on where
Ubuntu should be headed. While there's a whole lot right with
open-source software, there's quite a bit that's not so right and needs
both minor and major improvement before a free, open-source, Unix-based
operating environment can really challenge Windows and Macintosh for
significant share on the desktops of non-geeks and geeks alike.
http://insidesocal.com/click/2009/10/the-ubuntu-obsession-of-tanner.html

=== Ubuntu Karmic Koala preview ===

ghacks.net's Jack Wallen says if you’ve been following the Ubuntu
release cycle you know that the .10 release is forth coming. Slated to
hit the bandwidth October 29th, 2009, 9.10 promises to have quite a
number of new features that should please even the most discerning of
Linux users. Wallen says that after using 9.10 for a day he has to say
that he is impressed. He has been using 9.04 on nearly all of his
machines and was wondering how Ubuntu could be improved upon. Well, it
seems the development team has, in fact, improved upon 9.04. It’s not a
giant leap forward, but the speed improvements and the new software
promises to make the Ubuntu experience one that anyone can enjoy.
http://www.ghacks.net/2009/10/04/ubuntu-karmic-koala-preview/

=== What makes Ubuntu so user friendly? ===

Jack Wallen of ghacks.net says that of all the Linux distributions, the
consensus is beginning to become clear that Ubuntu is, hands down, the
most user friendly of the Linux distributions. But what makes it
user-friendly? And what, in specific, makes Ubuntu so appealing that it
could easily become the flagship Linux distribution? Of course what you
really need to do is define “user friendliness”. User-friendly, to
Wallen, is an operating system that does not interfere with the user. A
real user friendly operating system will allow the user to do what they
need to do without confusing road blocks or cumbersome sub-systems. And,
finally, a user-friendly operating system should be secure from the
threat of viruses and malware without the inclusion of third-party
software. Linux has that in spades.
http://www.ghacks.net/2009/10/06/what-makes-ubuntu-so-user-friendly/

== In The Blogosphere ==

=== Dell: Ubuntu Desktop PC Is Back ===

Joe Panettieri, of Works With U, notes that Dell's long dry summer is
over.  Their website is now offering a number of models of computer with
Ubuntu Linux installed.  These include: Inspiron 537 ST n-Series,
equipped with Ubuntu Desktop Edition 9.04, the Dell Mini 10v netbook
(with 8.04), Inspiron 15n notebook (9.04) and Studio XPS 13 (9.04). Dell
also offers Ubuntu Moblin Remix Developer Edition on the Mini 10v.

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/10/07/dell-ubuntu-desktop-is-back/

=== Ubuntu Linux 9.04 - Technical Details ===

John Hull, writing on the Dell community Direct2Dell website, notes some
of the advances that Dell has made with their offering of Ubuntu 9.04.
These include Cyberlink's PowerDVD application for DVD playback, a new
GUI tool for creating recovery/restore media for the OS, GRUB2
bootloader, and native support for the wireless cards that Dell uses.
Dell also has the custom Ubuntu ISO available at
http://en.community.dell.com/wikis/linux/ubuntu-9-04-dell-factory-recovery-iso.aspx
for those who might be interested.

http://en.community.dell.com/blogs/direct2dell/archive/2009/10/09/ubuntu-linux-904-technical-details.aspx

=== Karmic Koala: The best Ubuntu Linux ever? ===

Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, the Cyber Cynic, has taken a look at Ubuntu
9.10 Beta, and was impressed with what he saw.  Karmic Koala impressed
him with the ease and looks of the installation, the speed of booting to
the desktop, the improvements to GNOME, Empathy and Evolution, and the
Linux 2.6.31 kernel with the ext4 filesystem.  In addition, he felt that
the Ubuntu Software Center is a nice addition for new users.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/14871/karmic_koala_the_best_ubuntu_linux_ever

=== Ubuntu 9.10 Preview: New Login Manager ===

Christopher Tozzi, of Works With U, is impressed with the new Karmic
Koala Beta.  He begins with the new boot screen, for which he provides a
brief screencast to show it in action.  He likes the looks and the fact
that it doesn't use hardware acceleration and is therefore available to
less advanced machines.  He also likes the fact that the desktop doesn't
appear until it's actually ready for use.

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/10/03/ubuntu-910-preview-new-login-manager/

=== Ubuntu 9.10 Preview: New Theme, Icons ===

Christopher Tozzi, of Works With U, looks at the new theme and icons for
Karmic Koala.  In his opinion, these are minor cosmetic changes for the
theme.  Simply adding a dark brown version of one window decoration
theme, and minor modification of the wallpaper while using the same
colors doesn't impress him.  He was impressed with the new icons, both
the default and the Nautilus ones.  He provides screenshots of the icons
and window decoration selection window.

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/10/07/ubuntu-910-preview-new-theme-icons/

== In Other News ==

=== Ubuntu 9.10 - Almost Perfect ===

Bryan Lunduke describes himself as a "rather harsh critic."  He even
wrote an article titled “The Perfect Linux Distro”.  In this article, he
looks at a number of what he sees as improvements with Ubuntu 9.10.  The
potential of the Ubuntu Software Center is just the beginning.  He likes
what has been done with the theme and icons, and is even more impressed
with the available choice of wallpaper.  He is also impressed with the
new LiveCD, the choice of Empathy over Pidgin, and the addition of
Ubuntu One.  He does mention some things that he feels are missing, such
as games, video editing, and Banshee music player.  Overall, in his
words, "I’d take it so far as to say I see very little reason that
Ubuntu 9.10 would not be an excellent choice for the vast majority of
computer users."

http://lunduke.com/?p=815

=== Hulu Desktop (Linux) ===

Hulu Desktop for Linux is currently built on Fedora 11 and Ubuntu 9.04.
The packages should also work on any Linux distribution with glib2.16
(such as Ubuntu 8.04+ and Fedora 9+). You must have Adobe Flash Player
9.0.124 or higher installed. If you can load and watch videos on
Hulu.com, you should be able to use Hulu Desktop for Linux. Hulu Desktop
depends on the following libraries or packages, although they should be
pre-installed with the supported distributions:

  * GTK+ 2.12 or higher
  * GLib 2.16 or higher
  * LIRC 0.8.2 or higher (required for remote control functionality)

Downloads for 32 or 64 bit Ubuntu at the link below.

http://www.hulu.com/labs/hulu-desktop-linux

== Upcoming Meetings and Events ==

=== Monday, October 12, 2009 ===

==== Security Team Catch-up ====

  * Start: 17:00 UTC
  * End: 17:30 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: nothing formal, just a weekly catch-up.

==== Ubuntu Studio Developer Meeting ====

  * Start: 19:00 UTC
  * End: 20:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/Meetings/2009Oct12

=== Tuesday, October 13, 2009 ===

==== Asia Oceania Membership Board Meeting ====

  * Start: 10:00 UTC
  * End: 11:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership/RegionalBoards/AsiaOceania

==== Ubuntu Mobile Team Meeting ====

  * Start: 13:00 UTC
  * End: 14:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Meeting

==== Ubuntu Developer Membership Board Meeting ====

  * Start: 14:00 UTC
  * End: 15:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda:  None listed as of publication

==== Server Team Meeting ====

  * Start: 15:00 UTC
  * End: 16:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting

==== Desktop Team Meeting ====

  * Start: 16:30 UTC
  * End: 17:30 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-desktop
  * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting

==== Kernel Team Meeting ====

  * Start: 17:00 UTC
  * End: 18:00 UTC
  * Location:  IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: None listed as of publication

=== Wednesday, October 14, 2009 ===

==== Foundation Team Meeting ====

  * Start: 16:00 UTC
  * End: 17:00 UTC
  * Location:  IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda:  None listed as of publication

==== QA Team Meeting ====

  * Start: 17:00 UTC
  * End: 18:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Meetings/

=== Thursday, October 15, 2009 ===

==== Karmic Kernel/FinalFreeze ====

  * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelFreeze and
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FinalFreeze

==== Karmic NonLanguagePackTranslationDeadline ====

  * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NonLanguagePackTranslationDeadline

==== Ubuntu Java Meeting ====

  * Start: 14:00 UTC
  * End: 15:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda:  None listed as of publication

==== Global Jam Meeting ====

  * Start: 18:00 UTC
  * End: 19:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: None listed as of publication

=== Friday, October 16, 2009 ===

==== Karmic Weekly Release Meeting ====

  * Start: 15:00 UTC
  * End: 16:30 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam/Meeting/2009-10-16

==== Edubuntu Meeting ====

  * Start: 17:00 UTC
  * End: 18:30 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda:  https://wiki.edubuntu.org/Edubuntu/WikiSite/Meeting/

=== Saturday, October 17, 2009 ===

  * None listed as of publication

=== Sunday, October 18, 2009 ===

  * None listed as of publication

== Updates and Security for 6.06, 8.04, 8.10 and 9.04 ==

=== Security Updates ===

  * USN-841-1: GLib vulnerability - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-841-1
  * USN-842-1: Wget vulnerability - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-842-1
  * USN-843-1: BackupPC vulnerability - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-843-1
  * USN-844-1: mimeTeX vulnerabilities - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-844-1
  * USN-845-1: Pan vulnerability - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-845-1
  * USN-846-1: ICU vulnerability - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-846-1
  * USN-847-1: Devscripts vulnerability -
http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-847-1
  * USN-847-2: devscripts vulnerability -
http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-847-2

=== Ubuntu 6.06 Updates ===

  * langpack-locales 2.3.18.25 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/dapper-changes/2009-October/012786.html

=== Ubuntu 8.04 Updates ===

  * debian-installer 20070308ubuntu40.12 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2009-October/012297.html
  * apt-cacher 1.5.5-0ubuntu0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2009-October/012298.html
  * tzdata 2009n-0ubuntu0.8.04 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2009-October/012299.html
  * adept 2.1.3ubuntu25.2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2009-October/012300.html

=== Ubuntu 8.10 Updates ===

  * tzdata 2009n-0ubuntu0.8.10 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/intrepid-changes/2009-October/009765.html
  * landscape-client 1.3.2.3-0ubuntu0.8.10.0 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/intrepid-changes/2009-October/009766.html

=== Ubuntu 9.04 Updates ===

  * tzdata 2009n-0ubuntu0.9.04 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2009-October/009901.html
  * landscape-client 1.3.2.3-0ubuntu0.9.04.0 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2009-October/009902.html
  * smart 1.2-0ubuntu1.9.04.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2009-October/009903.html

== Archives and RSS Feed ==

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter

You can subscribe to the Ubuntu Weekly News via RSS at:
http://fridge.ubuntu.com/uwn/feed

== Additional Ubuntu News ==

  http://www.ubuntu.com/news

and

  http://fridge.ubuntu.com/

== Conclusion ==

== Credits ==

The Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter is brought to you by:

  * John Crawford
  * Craig A. Eddy
  * Dave Bush
  * Isabelle Duchatelle
  * Liraz Siri
  * And many others

== Glossary of Terms ==

  1. LTS - Long Term Support. - Said of a release that will receive
support for 3-years/5-years rather than the typical 18 months.
  1. MOTU - Master Of The Universe - Developers responsible for the
Universe and Multiverse repositories. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU

Other acronyms can be found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/glossary

== Ubuntu - Get Involved ==

The Ubuntu community consists of individuals and teams, working on
different aspects of the distribution, giving advice and technical
support, and helping to promote Ubuntu to a wider audience. No
contribution is too small, and anyone can help. It's your chance to get
in on all the community fun associated with developing and promoting
Ubuntu. http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate

== Feedback ==

This document is maintained by the Ubuntu Weekly News Team. If you have
a story idea or suggestions for the Weekly Newsletter, join the Ubuntu
News Team mailing list at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-news-team and submit
it. Ideas can also be added to the wiki at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Ideas. If you'd like to
contribute to a future issue of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, please
feel free to edit the appropriate wiki page. If you have any technical
support questions, please send them to ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com.

Except where otherwise noted, content in this issue is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License BY SA