Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #169

John Crawford johnc4510 at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 23 00:45:55 GMT 2009

Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue #169 for the week November
15th - November 21st, 2009. In this issue we cover: Lucid Ubuntu Developer
Summit Videos, New LoCo Council Members, America's Membership Board Meeting:
November 18th, 2009, Developer Membership Board public meeting, LoCo Contact
Change: Wisconsin LoCo Team, Doctor Mo: Ice Skating at UDS, Matthew Helmke:
Heading Home from UDS-L, Joe Baker: An Interview with Richard Johnson
(nixternal), Martin Pitt: Nicer Launchpad upstream releases with
lp-project-upload, and much, much more!

== UWN Translations ==

 * Note to translators and our readers: We are trying a new way of linking
to our translations pages. Please follow the link below for the information
you need.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Translations

== In This Issue ==

 * Lucid Ubuntu Developer Summit Videos
 * New LoCo Council Members
 * America's Membership Board Meeting: November 18th, 2009
 * Developer Membership Board public meeting
 * Ubuntu Stats
 * LoCo Contact Change: Wisconsin LoCo Team
 * Doctor Mo: Ice Skating at UDS
 * Matthew Helmke: Heading Home from UDS-L
 * Joe Baker: An Interview with Richard Johnson (nixternal)
 * Martin Pitt: Nicer Launchpad upstream releases with lp-project-upload
 * In the Press & Blogosphere
 * Upcoming Meetings & Events
 * Updates & Security

== General Community News ==

=== Lucid Ubuntu Developer Summit Videos ===

The Ubuntu Developer Summits have always been very open and participatory
events, but this year they are going a step further than in previous years.
On top of the audio streams, gobby documents, separate IRC channels,
blueprints and wiki pages they also had many sessions video recorded. The
videos are available in both Ogg Video format and flash, so we can reach a
wide and diverse audience of interested parties. Below are direct links to
the Ogg Video. To download any or all of the various videos please visit the
Ubuntu Developers Blip.tv Channel: http://ubuntudevelopers.blip.tv/ , the
Youtube channel: http://youtube.com/user/ubuntudevelopers , or the Miro
Ubuntu Community: http://ubuntu.mirocommunity.com/

Group picture of the UDS attendees:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kwwii/4120389545/sizes/l/

 * Morning Plenary 16th November 2009:
http://blip.tv/file/get/Ubuntudevelopers-AMPlenary161109low609.ogv

 * Afternoon Plenary 16th November 2009:
http://blip.tv/file/get/Ubuntudevelopers-PMPlenary161109low644.ogv

 * LoCo Council:
http://blip.tv/file/get/Ubuntudevelopers-LoCoCouncillow875.ogv

 * Encourage Team Roadmaps:
http://blip.tv/file/get/Ubuntudevelopers-EncourageTeamRoadmapslow198.ogv

 * Distributed Development in Lucid:
http://blip.tv/file/get/Ubuntudevelopers-DistributedDevelopmentInLucidlow840.ogv

 * Byobu Window Management:
http://blip.tv/file/get/Ubuntudevelopers-BYOBUWinMgmtlow431.ogv

 * Audio Hardware Enablement:
http://blip.tv/file/get/Ubuntudevelopers-AudioHardwareEnablementlow213.ogv

 * Plenary 17th November 2009:
http://blip.tv/file/get/Ubuntudevelopers-Plenary171109low136.ogv

 * Ubuntu Appliances Defined:
http://blip.tv/file/get/Ubuntudevelopers-UbuntuAppliancesDefinedlow851.ogv

 * Daily Builds Work in Lucid:
http://blip.tv/file/get/Ubuntudevelopers-DailyBuildsWorkInLucidlow137.ogv

 * Interview with Pete Graner - Canonical Kernel Manager:
http://blip.tv/file/get/Ubuntudevelopers-PeteGraner181109low998.ogv

 * Interview with Jono Bacon - Canonical Community Manager for Ubuntu:
http://blip.tv/file/get/Ubuntudevelopers-JonoBacon181109low816.ogv

 * Interview with Rick Spencer - Canonical Engineering Manager for the
Desktop:
http://blip.tv/file/get/Ubuntudevelopers-RickSpencer181109low457.ogv

 * Wednesday 18th November 2009 UDS Plenary Session:
http://blip.tv/file/get/Ubuntudevelopers-PMPlenary181109low285.ogv

 * Interview with David Mandala – Ubuntu Mobile Team Lead:
http://blip.tv/file/get/Ubuntudevelopers-DavidMandella191109low487.ogv

 * Interview with Robbie Williamson – Ubuntu Foundations Team Lead:
http://blip.tv/file/get/Ubuntudevelopers-RobbieWilliamson191109low429.ogv

 * Interview with Marjo Mercado – Ubuntu QA Team Lead:
http://blip.tv/file/get/Ubuntudevelopers-MarjoMercado191109low949.ogv

 * Application Selection in the Default Install:
http://blip.tv/file/get/Ubuntudevelopers-ApplicationSelectionInTheDefaultInstalllow831.ogv

UDS Lucid was a big success!! It used what was successful in past UDS
conferences and built on it. Ubuntu's continued success is largely due to
the openness of its work process and the enthusiasm of the Ubuntu Community.

Thanks to Alan Pope for posting the videos on his blog and also to Amber
Graner for conducting the interviews.

http://popey.com/blog/

=== New LoCo Council Members ===

It's with great pleasure we'd like to announce the new members of the Ubuntu
LoCo Council.

 * Laura Czajkowski - https://edge.launchpad.net/~czajkowski
 * Chris Crisafulli - https://edge.launchpad.net/~itnet7
 * Christophe Sauthier - https://edge.launchpad.net/~christophe.sauthier

After a delay getting started the election process went very well. We
originally intended to have two new members on the LoCo council to replace
the two members who recently left. However after voting we had a draw but as
they are all fantastic contributors to the project we thought it would be
best to add all three of them to the team.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-news-team/2009-November/000757.html

=== America's Membership Board Meeting: November 18th, 2009 ===

After an incredibly productive meeting with most of the board members
sitting in the same room, the following contributors were accepted as Ubuntu
Members at our meeting this evening:

Luis Lopez works as an independent IT consultant in Canada, after a period
in Canonical as a Sales Engineer. He is very active and helped setting up
the Colombian LoCo, as well as other advocacy work in Colombia. Luis is also
very active in bug reporting in Ubuntu. His future plans involve providing
feedback to the Ubuntu project about enterprise desktop requirements to
increase adoption, and helping non-technical users to participate in the
project.

Wiki - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/luis_lopez
Lanuchpad - https://launchpad.net/~luis.lopez

Mathieu Trudel I is a system/networks administrator for a moderate-sized
internet firm on the south shore of Montreal. He has done quite a bit of
work on NetworkManager, and has provided fixed to a wide variety of bugs in
Ubuntu. However, his amazing work in the Ubuntu-QC LoCo and organization of
release parties is what made us proud to have him as a new member.

Wiki - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Mtrudel
Launchpad - https://launchpad.net/~mathieu-tl

Juan Marquez Ruiz is a systems engineer, telecommunications engineer and
software developer from Colombia. Juan has contributed heavily to the Ubuntu
forums, is a very active member in the Colombian LoCo team, as well as
promoting Ubuntu in local newspapers and organizing install-fests. His
application came with many enthusiastic testimonials.

Wiki - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/juanmarquez
Launchpad - https://launchpad.net/~juanmarquez

Guillermo Lisi is a system administrator and applications programmer in
commercial enterprises, and has been contributing to Ubuntu for over 2
years. His focus has been on the Argentinian LoCo team, with an enormous
effort in moderating the forums and walking new people through the
philosophy and spirit of the Ubuntu community. He has also help organize
countless events, and his application came with an amazing set of fans.

Wiki - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/unimix
Launchpad - https://launchpad.net/~guillermolisi

Micah Gersten has been answering Ubuntu questions in Launchpad since Dec
2008, getting to be one of the top 20 contributor for Ubuntu Bugs and Ubuntu
Answers. He has done an incredible amount of bug triaging, and his karma
being at precisely 22558 points shows off his efforts. He also works closely
with the Mozilla team in identifying bugs in the daily builds and making
sure the keep on running. He has a fantastic set of support from well
established community members.

Launchpad - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/micahg
Wiki - https://launchpad.net/~micahg

Michael Hall has been a web application developer for more than 10 years,
transitioning from Perl to Java, PHP and now Python, and lives in Florida,
USA. In addition to his extensive work in the Florida LoCo team, he's the
author of Qimo Linux - a Xubuntu derivative designed for young children
featuring open-source educational games and a simplified desktop. He has set
up a on-profit organization whose goal is to recycle second hand computers
into educational system for your kids. His application came with strong
support and a great variety of pictures.

Wiki - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/mhall119
Launchpad - https://edge.launchpad.net/~mhall119

David, (mostly known as komputes), has done an overwhelming amount of work
in bug reporting, triaging and debugging. He has a good understanding of the
Linux audio subsystem and the various audio projects, and uses this
knowledge to help users troubleshoot audio issues in Ubuntu. He's also
involved in the Canada LoCo, having organizes various events.

Wiki - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/komputes
Launchpad - https://launchpad.net/~komputes

Marco Antonio de Hoyos is the a founder member of the project UTUTO since
2004 and had participate in SOLAR, Software Libre Argentina. He jumped on
board Ubuntu on Warty and joined the Argentinian LoCo by the end of 2007,
taking on the task of moderating the mailing list, and making sure new
members understood the spirit of the project and our Code of Conduct. He has
also taken maintaining and adding to the LoCo webpage. Last but certainly
not least, he's very passionate about teaching open source and actively
gives talks and classes in a variety of places.

Wiki - https://wiki.ubuntu.com/mhoyos
Launchpad - https://edge.launchpad.net/~mhoyos

The Americas Board and the Ubuntu Community congratulates these new members!

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-news-team/2009-November/000756.html

=== Developer Membership Board public meeting ===

The team has a fair backlog of main upload requests. They will hold a DMB
meeting next week at Tuesday 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting to process those.
Everyone is welcome to attend. If you have a pending application to main
upload privileges, it would be appreciated if you could participate.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2009-November/000641.html

 * Open (75585) +1057 over last week
 * Critical (31) +1 over last week
 * Unconfirmed (39087) +752 over last week
 * Unassigned (66278) +1010 over last week
 * All bugs ever reported (350616) +2383 over last week

As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started, please
see  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

=== Translation Stats Karmic ===

 1. Spanish (13469) -591 over last week
 2. Brazilian Portuguese (45692) -3462 over last week
 3. French (46845) -3425 over last week
 4. Swedish (65560) -3211 over last week
 5. English (United Kingdom) (73372) -2846 over last week

Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala", see more at:
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/

=== Ubuntu Brainstorm Top 5 this week ===

 * Redesign the CD Boot Menu - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22562/
 * Synchronize desktop wallpaper with xsplash background   -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22516/
 * The places drop down menu is difficult to customize    -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22481/
 * GIMP is out from Lucid Lynx. - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22563/
 * ssd-mode should tweak several system settings with one choice    -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22475/

Ubuntu Brainstorm is a community site geared toward letting you add your
ideas for Ubuntu. You can submit your own idea, or vote for or against
another idea. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

== LoCo News ==

=== LoCo Contact Change: Wisconsin LoCo Team ===

There is a new LoCo Team Contact for the Wisconsin US-team. Anthony Hook is
taking over from Trevor Mosey and Uberushaximus. Anthony mentions his
motivations towards the team: "I hope that we will be able to get some
regular activity in our LoCo and make it worthwhile for our 87 members." On
behalf of the LoCo Council, a warm welcome to Anthony and all the best to
ubuntu-us-wi.

http://effiejayx.wordpress.com/2009/11/19/loco-contact-change-wisconsin-loco-team/

== The Planet ==

=== Doctor Mo: Ice Skating at UDS ===

At UDS they do various fun activities after the sessions have ended. People
have been great for getting these events organized. On Tuesday they went to
the local Galleria to ice skating. There are some great pictures at the
following link:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31718031@N07/sets/72157622719268287/

http://doctormo.wordpress.com/2009/11/19/ubuntu-ice-skating/

 * Additional UDS Pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/nxvl/sets/72157605156928350/

=== Matthew Helmke: Heading Home from UDS-L ===

The Ubuntu Developer Summit has ended and I’m on my way home. Ubuntu 10.04
LTS is going to be an incredible release and I’m proud to have participated
a little bit in the process. I’ll be writing more about it as time passes.
For now, enjoy the group photo at the link below.

http://matthewhelmke.net/2009/11/21/heading-home-from-uds-l/

=== Joe Baker: An Interview with Richard Johnson (nixternal) ===

The next interview in the series comes from somebody who I’ve never really
spoken to personally (well…until now), but who I’ve heard a lot of people
talking about/referring to. To me, this shows the extraordinary amount of
work that he’s put into Ubuntu/Kubuntu. Some of you have probably heard of
him for something more recent…which I won’t spoil. The interview covers,
personal info, how and when he started using computers, his involvement with
Ubuntu, his best memories, advocacy, and tips for new users. You can read
the full interview at the link below.

http://blog.joeb454.com/2009/11/an-interview-with-nixternal/

=== Martin Pitt: Nicer Launchpad upstream releases with lp-project-upload
===

A while ago Martin Pitt introduced a script lp-project-upload to automate
tarball release uploads to Launchpad.
http://www.piware.de/2009/09/automated-release-tarball-upload-to-launchpad/

Many people asked for further features, two of which Martin has added now:
First, it automatically invokes gpg to create a tarball signature (unless
one is already present), and second it invokes an editor to specify
changelog and release notes (just keep the files empty if you don’t need
them). Uploaded to lucid’s ubuntu-dev-tools.

http://www.piware.de/2009/11/nicer-launchpad-upstream-releases-with-lp-project-upload/

== In The Press ==

=== 20 Essential Tips Every Ubuntu User Should Know ===

Maximum PC's Will Kraft says so you've read Maximum PC's Complete Beginner's
Guide to Linux and have decided to adopt an open-source operating
system--congratulations! But diving right into a new OS is daunting, even if
it is as polished and stable as Ubuntu. That's OK though, because they're
here to help. He has compiled a list of the 20 most important skills that
every Ubuntu user should have. These tips, ranging from basic GUI
manipulation to advanced system recovery, are essential to your Windows-free
computing experience. Whether you've just installed Ubuntu for the first
time or have been a Linux acolyte for years, you'll want to read our
refresher. Follow this link for these 20 tips:
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/features/20_essential_tips_every_ubuntu_user_should_know

=== Canonical working on an iTunes-like music store for Ubuntu? ===

Lee Mathews of Download Squad says the one program people he knows miss when
they've tried to switch to Linux is iTunes. Like it or not, Apple's desktop
app has gained the reputation of being the place to buy music and video
downloads. But iTunes on Linux? Fuhgettaboutit. That leaves an opportunity
for someone in the Linux community to step up and deliver an alternative.
Enter Canonical, who may be preparing to do just that in time for the
release of Lucid Lynx. Over at Launchpad, there's a blueprint called Ubuntu
One Music Store which states its goal as "to deliver the ability to purchase
music from within a desktop music player." There's nothing much yet for
details on the associated wiki, so there's no telling yet what exactly might
be in the works. Even if the Ubuntu One Music Store ends up being an
affiliate app powered by Amazon, it could provide a decent revenue stream
for Canonical. It's also one more feature that could entice users to give
Linux a try on their desktop.
http://www.downloadsquad.com/2009/11/17/canonical-working-on-an-iTunes-like-music-store-for-ubuntu/

=== Good karma: an in-depth review of Ubuntu 9.10 ===

ARS Technica's Ryan Paul reminds us that Ubuntu 9.10, codenamed Karmic
Koala, was officially released last month. In this comprehensive review, Ars
takes you under the surface for an in-depth look at the new features and
major architectural changes. Karmic Koala, climbed down from the tree last
month with new features and updated software. For five years and eleven
releases, the Ubuntu Linux distribution has delivered a capable desktop
operating system built largely on open source software. The new version is
another important step forward for Ubuntu and its corporate backer
Canonical. Ubuntu has achieved a level of popularity that is unprecedented
for a desktop Linux distribution. It has gained an enormous following among
open source software enthusiasts and is even beginning to attract some
mainstream recognition. The Karmic release continues Ubuntu's march forward
and will raise the bar a notch for other desktop distributions.
http://arstechnica.com/open-source/reviews/2009/11/good-karma-ars-reviews-ubuntu-910.ars?utm_source=rss

=== Head to Head: Windows 7 vs Ubuntu 9.10 ===

Benny Har-Even of IT Pro points out that Windows 7 turns to face its latest
challenger in the form of Ubuntu 9.10, the latest and greatest flavor of
Linux to be released. "It’s with some trepidation then that we pitch the
most recently updated flavour of Linux, Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, against
the new mainstream choice that is Windows 7." There’s no great revelation is
saying the Windows 7 is a fine operating system that is going to remain the
default choice for most, even though it costs money. However, for a
business, if your strategy is to try and avoid Microsoft, end users could be
worse off than being stuck with Ubuntu 9.10. If you look hard enough,
there’s nothing your Windows machine can do that your Ubuntu one can’t. As
much as Har-Even says he likes Windows 7, he can’t help but be impressed
with what’s on offer in Karmic Koala and if you’ve never tried Linux then
it’s an easy and relatively painless place to start.
http://www.itpro.co.uk/617848/head-to-head-windows-7-vs-ubuntu-9-10

=== Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala is really nice ===

Dodeimedo.com says if you have read his Ubuntu 9.10 review last week, you
must have noticed his reaction to the latest Ubuntu release was rather
lukewarm. This makes today's Kubuntu review all the more intriguing. First,
is there and why is there any difference between Ubuntu and Kubuntu, after
all, they are pretty much the same distro? Then, what are these differences
and are they any good? Kubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala is very, very nice. It's a
pleasant surprise. And it's better than Ubuntu. It is not without issues,
but they are mostly cosmetic and related to KDE. If you're considering
trying the latest Ubuntu release, I'd say try Kubuntu. It's lovely,
polished, smooth, runs well, and will cooperate with your hardware. You will
also get a decent array of programs to begin with, plus lots of eye candy to
please you while you grunt over and smooth the bumps you find along the way.
http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/kubuntu-9-10.html

=== GIMP To Be Removed From Lucid; F-Spot Has Challengers ===

OMGUbuntu.com reports that the decision has been taken, and it seemed pretty
final that The GIMP will not be included in Ubuntu Lucid by default. The
decisions behind this are based on a few factors:

    * the general user doesn't use it
    * its user-interface is too complex
    * it's an application for professionals
    * desktop users just want to edit photos and they can do that in F-Spot
    * it's a photoshop replacement and photoshop isn't included by default
in Windows...
    * it takes up room on the disc

Of course, these are all perfectly valid points, and OMGUbuntu.com says he
agrees with most of them. The logic behind this is sound. Desktop users just
do not need something as powerful as The GIMP. It takes up space, it's not
widely used outside of designers and a simpler "paint" type program would
better serve the features it provides that don't overlap with F-Spot.
http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2009/11/gimp-to-be-removed-lucid.html

=== How The X Stack In Ubuntu 10.04 LTS May Look ===

Michael Larabel of Phoronix reports that Canonical's Ubuntu Developer Summit
for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (codenamed Lucid Lynx) is taking place this week in
Texas, but happening right now on the Ubuntu-X mailing list is a discussion
about what the X.Org plans are for Ubuntu Lucid. Bryce Harrington,
Canonical's principal X leader, has shared his views about the X.Org package
set for Ubuntu 10.04. As far as the X Server goes, Bryce believes it is a
question between the 1.6, 1.7, and 1.8 releases. X Server 1.7 has been
shipping as part of X.Org 7.5 since early October, but Bryce is still
willing to consider using 1.6 in Lucid as an option since it's been tested
longer than 1.7. However, X Server 1.6 lacks support for X Input 2.0 /
Multi-Pointer X, VGA arbitration, EXA improvements, and many other goodies.
Using X Server 1.6 though would likely just be a fall-back scenario if going
with X Server 1.7/1.8 does not work in Ubuntu's favor. Right now this is all
up in the air but we will see what ends up getting settled for Ubuntu 10.04
LTS and Phoronix will certainly be around with their benchmarks when the
time comes. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzcxOQ

=== Mac OS X 10.6.2 vs. Ubuntu 9.10 Benchmarks ===

Phoronix's Michael Larabel recalls that back in August upon the launch of
Apple's Snow Leopard he delivered benchmarks comparing Mac OS X 10.5 and Mac
OS X 10.6 along with initial benchmarks of how Ubuntu 9.10 was running
against Mac OS X 10.6. Since that time though Ubuntu 9.10 has been
officially released with various changes since last August and Apple has
issued two point releases for Snow Leopard, now putting it at version
10.6.2. As we await the release of FreeBSD 8.0 to deliver a larger operating
system comparison, Larabel has carried out a fresh round of tests comparing
Mac OS X 10.6.2 and Ubuntu 9.10 (both x86 and x86_64 editions) under a
variety of tests. Ubuntu 9.10 (with the 32-bit and 64-bit wins being added
together) had won about ten of the sixteen benchmarks in this Mac OS X vs.
Ubuntu Linux comparison.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=macosx106_ubuntu910_final&num=1

=== Ubuntu in truffle shuffle with Chrome OS ===

Kelly Fiveash of The Register reports reports that Ubuntu’s commercial
sponsor Canonical revealed late yesterday that it has been working with
Google on its Chrome OS platform since before Mountain View announced its
game-changing plans in July this year. The firm’s OEM veep Chris Kenyon said
in a blog post on Thursday that “Canonical is contributing engineering to
Google under contract”. His comments came following Google’s announcement
that it would open source the Chrome OS. “While the two operating systems
share some core components, Google Chrome OS will provide a very different
experience to Ubuntu,” he said. “Ubuntu will continue to be a general
purpose OS running both web and native applications such as OpenOffice and
will not require specialized hardware.” Chrome OS on the other hand will be
specifically designed for a hand-picked selection of web-obsessed x86- and
(eventually) ARM-based netbooks created by Google’s hardware partners that
include big name computer makers such as Hewlett Packard, Asus, Acer,
Lenovo. http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/11/20/ubuntu_chrome_os_contract/

=== Ubuntu 9.10: A karmic disconnection ===

William Charles D'Souza of The Business Standard writes that he has always
believed that the primary responsibility of an operating system is to work
so smoothly that it becomes virtually invisible — functioning without the
least bit of hiccup to provide an unobtrusive environment on any computer
where other applications come into play. Now imagine if you could have this
for free! I mean, the basic version of Microsoft’s Windows 7 costs nearly Rs
6,000. Why pay so much when you can do all your normal tasks on an OS that’s
absolutely free for home use? The Linux-based Ubuntu was fast catching up
with the Windows on all these parameters, at least till its latest version
9.10 — the ‘Karmic Koala’. D'Souza went onto experience DSL problems during
upgrade which soured his opinion of Karmic, but he still likes Ubuntu. "As
for me, I am just hoping that somewhere between the fixes and forums, the
Karmic gives my MTNL connection back... Then the 9.10 would be the
definitive alternative to the Windows. Till then, I would be happy to have
my netbook stuck with the good old 9.04 Jaunty."
http://www.business-standard.com/india/news/ubuntu-910karmic-disconnection/376597/

== In The Blogosphere ==

=== Canonical: Profiting From Google Chrome OS? ===

Joe Panettieri, WorksWithU, has written two blog post about Canonical and
Chrome OS  1) Canonical: Profiting From Google Chrome OS? and Google Chrome
OS: Should Ubuntu and Canonical Worry?  in which he believes that Chrome OS
posses at threat to Canonical.  According to Joe he still believes this
threat a real one to spite the fact that Google is partnering with Canonical
in this endeavor.  Links to both of Joe's articles are below he makes some
good points, but read and see what you think about Google Chrome OS and the
future of Ubuntu and Canonical.

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/11/19/canonical-profiting-from-google-chrome-os/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WorksWithU+%28Works+With+U%29

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/11/19/google-chrome-os-should-ubuntu-and-canonical-worry/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WorksWithU+%28Works+With+U%29

=== Canonical’s Landscape: The Ubuntu Management Strategy ===

Joe Panettieri, WorksWithU, spoke via podcast with Ken Drachnik, Landscape
manager at Canonical.  The Podcast includes answers to the following
questions:

 1. What is Landscape?
 2. Is Landscape positioned for small, medium, or large organizations?
 3. Is Landscape for netbooks, notebooks,. desktops or servers?
 4. Can Landscape manage Ubuntu in the Cloud?
 5. Does Landscape run on-premise or is it a SaaS (software as a service)
solution?
 6. What is a landscape dedicated server?
 7. Is Landscape available globally?
 8. How is Landscaped priced?
 9. Where is Canonical heading next with Landscape?

Want to know how to find out more information about Landscape it's all in
the podcast.There is even a link to free Landscape test and much more. The
podcast takes less than 10 minutes and is well worth the listen is Landscape
is on your radar.

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/11/19/canonicals-landscape-the-ubuntu-management-strategy/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WorksWithU+%28Works+With+U%29

=== Dell Shows Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx Some Love ===

Joe Panettieri, workwithU, gives some early details of Dell beginning to to
show "Lucid Lynx Some Love" in this article. "According to Dell's
Direct2Dell website: 'Dell Linux Engineers will hit the road to Dallas, TX
to participate in the upcoming Ubuntu Developers Summit for Lucid Lynx
(UDS-L).'"  Joe points out the signs of progress between Dell and Canonical
with the following:

 * Dell and Canonical in mid-September 2009 introduced Ubuntu Moblin Remix
Developer Edition on Dell netbooks.
 * Canonical CEO Mark Shuttleworth visited Dell’s Austin, Texas headquarters
in late September 2009.
 * Dell’s U.S. website in October 2009 finally re-introduced a desktop PC
with Ubuntu pre-installed.

Joe points out that Dell is studying the Ubuntu 10.04 and LTS release that
will be supported by Canonical for 3 years on the desktop and 5 on the
server.  Joe sees a lot of potential in the future for this endeavor.  Let's
see what comes out from Dell about their involvement in UDS this week.  See
what you think read this article full of links and information.

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/11/17/dell-shows-ubuntu-1004-lucid-lynx-some-love/

=== Why Ubuntu release schedules should be changed ===

Sam Varaghese wants to see Ubuntu go from a 6 month release schedule to a
annual release schedule. The first reason he gives, is so that no
showstopping bugs will show up in future releases like they have in 9.04 and
9.10. Second, he points out that with Ubuntu's move to the Debian testing
stream instead of the Debian unstable stream will require a slower release
schedule. We are also informed of the opinion that the 6 month release
schedule is used mainly to give Ubuntu the impression of being in perpetual
motion. The third reason given is GNOME's major changes that are planned for
3.0. Sam Varaghese informs us that 1 month between the release of GNOME and
Ubuntu's release is not enough time to work out the problems that will arise
from the changes in GNOME.

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/29430/1090/1/1/

=== Shutdown/Reboot Ubuntu 9.10 ===

J.A. Watson doesn't like the 60-second delay that has been added when you
shutdown and reboot in 9.04 and 9.10. We are also told that the option in
9.04 to turn this delay off was missing in 9.10, but he gives us a way to
turn this off in the GNOME configuration settings. He then starts what he
calls a "rant" and asks why this feature was added, and why the option to
turn it off was hidden in the GNOME configuration settings.

http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10014447o-2000498448b,00.htm

=== Ubuntu One Music Store ===

Stefano Forenza notes that Ubuntu is considering a music store for Ubuntu
10.04.  The store would be hooked up to Ubuntu One, thus the name "Ubuntu
One Music Store".  He raises a few interesting questions in his blog, such
as: what type of commercial agreements were reached with the music
companies, what format the music would be in (mp3 or open formats), and what
about DRM?

http://www.stefanoforenza.com/ubuntu-one-music-store/

=== Ubuntu One Music Store: A Real Business? ===

Joe Panettieri of Works With U voices his opinion of Ubuntu offering a Music
Store in Lucid Lynx.  This, according to Launchpad, is a project to deliver
the ability to purchase music from inside a desktop music player.  He goes
on to ask 3 questions:

 * Can Canonical actually make money from the Ubuntu One Music Store?
 * Is the music store something completely new, or is it a simple connection
to existing online music stores?
 * Is Canonical stretching itself too thin by continuing to launch more and
more services.

Joe seems to feel that this is a good move for Ubuntu, as music is a big
drawing card for on-line use.

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/11/16/ubuntu-one-music-store-a-real-business/

=== Ubuntu's Canonical and Google partner to create Chrome ===

Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, the Cyber Cynic writing on the Computerworld
blogs, announces that Ubuntu is partnering with Google to create Chrome.
This is a major project, under contract, where Canonical is contributing
engineering for the netbook operating system.  He feels that this doesn't
impact Ubuntu, since Ubuntu is for general purpose machines, and Chrome is
for a specific goal on specific hardware.

http://blogs.computerworld.com/15127/ubuntus_canonical_and_google_partner_to_create_chrome

=== Who Deserves Free Ubuntu CDs More? ===

Christopher Tozzi of Works With U addresses the questions concerning
Canonical's move to scale back the Ship-It program.  It is his opinion that
Canonical may be targeting the wrong people.  Free CDs are now being sent
only to those who are already Ubuntu members.  But Christopher feels that
this may be discriminating against those who don't have the technical
ability to burn ISOs, or the bandwidth to download them:  in short, the very
people that need the service the most.  Read his views at the link.

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/11/18/who-deserves-free-ubuntu-cds-more/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+WorksWithU+%28Works+With+U%29

=== Ubuntu Netbook Remix to be redubbed Ubuntu Netbook Edition ===

liliputing reports via OMGUbuntu, that Ubuntu Netbook Remix (UNR) is being
renamed Ubuntu Netbook Edition (UNE). The fact that the term "remix" implies
and "respun" version of the operation system and the word "Edition" would
mean a fully supported, fully-featured version of the OS. So what this
renaming means is yet to be seem.  Could it be a UNR by any other name is
still an UNR or are we looking more in the edition.  Time will tell.  Take a
look into the article and the blueprint that it is linked and see what's in
store for the Ubuntu Netbook Edition for Ubuntu 10.04, Lucid Lynx.

http://www.liliputing.com/2009/11/ubuntu-netbook-remix-to-be-redubbed-ubuntu-netbook-edition.html

=== My life with Linux: Day 1 - The daily ups and downs of switching to open
source ===

Stuart Turton, writing for Australian PC Authority, begins his odyssey in
the Linux world by installing Ubuntu 9.04 at home and Fedora 11 at work.  He
was impressed with the Wubi installation, but not with the brown theme of
Ubuntu or what he considered the retro menus.  He also wasn't to impressed
with the speed of 9.04.  He was impressed with the preselected programs that
were installed, as well as the selection of other programs available through
Add/Remove.  After 2 hours, he was feeling right at home with Ubuntu.

http://www.pcauthority.com.au/News/160664,my-life-with-linux-the-daily-ups-and-downs-of-switching-to-open-source.aspx

== Upcoming Meetings and Events ==

=== Monday November 23, 2009 ===

==== Security Team Catch-up ====

 * Start: 18:00 UTC
 * End: 18:30 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: nothing formal, just a weekly catch-up.s

=== Tuesday, November 24, 2009 ===

==== Asia Oceania Membership Board Meeting ====

 * Start: 10:00 UTC
 * End: 11:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership/RegionalBoards/AsiaOceania

==== Ubuntu Mobile Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 13:00 UTC
 * End: 14:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Meeting

==== Desktop Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 16:30 UTC
 * End: 17:30 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-desktop
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting

==== Kernel Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 17:00 UTC
 * End: 18:00 UTC
 * Location:  IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

=== Wednesday, November 25, 2009 ===

==== Server Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 14:00 UTC
 * End: 15:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting

==== Foundation Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 16:00 UTC
 * End: 17:00 UTC
 * Location:  IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda:  None listed as of publication

==== QA Team Meeting ====

 * Start: 17:00 UTC
 * End: 18:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Meetings/

=== Thursday, November 26, 2009 ===

==== Ubuntu Java Meeting ====

 * Start: 14:00 UTC
 * End: 15:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda:  None listed as of publication

==== MC Meeting ====

 * Start: 17:00
 * End: 18:00
 * Location: None listed as of publication
 * Agenda: None listed as of publication

=== Friday, November 27, 2009 ===

 * None listed as of publication

=== Saturday, November 28, 2009 ===

 * None listed as of publication

=== Sunday, November 29, 2009 ===

 * None listed as of publication

== Updates and Security for 6.06, 8.04, 8.10, 9.04 and 9.10 ==

=== Security Updates ===

 * USN-860-1: Apache vulnerabilities - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-860-1

=== Ubuntu 6.06 Updates ===

 * apache2 2.0.55-4ubuntu2.9 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/dapper-changes/2009-November/012794.html

=== Ubuntu 8.04 Updates ===

 * apache2-mpm-itk 2.2.6-01-1build3.7 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2009-November/012330.html
 * apache2 2.2.8-1ubuntu0.14 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2009-November/012331.html

=== Ubuntu 8.10 Updates ===

 * apache2-mpm-itk 2.2.6-02-1build2.5 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/intrepid-changes/2009-November/009780.html
 * apache2 2.2.9-7ubuntu3.5 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/intrepid-changes/2009-November/009781.html

=== Ubuntu 9.04 Updates ===

 * apache2-mpm-itk 2.2.6-02-1build4.5 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2009-November/009934.html
 * apache2 2.2.11-2ubuntu2.5 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2009-November/009935.html

=== Ubuntu 9.10 Updates ===

 * kopete-facebook 0.1.4-0ubuntu1.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-November/012057.html
 * apache2 2.2.12-1ubuntu2.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-November/012058.html

== Archives and RSS Feed ==

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter

You can subscribe to the Ubuntu Weekly News via RSS at:
http://fridge.ubuntu.com/uwn/feed

== Additional Ubuntu News ==

 http://www.ubuntu.com/news

and

 http://fridge.ubuntu.com/

== Conclusion ==

== Credits ==

The Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter is brought to you by:

 * John Crawford
 * Craig A. Eddy
 * Dave Bush
 * Kenny McHenry
 * Liraz Siri
 * Amber Graner
 * And many others

== Glossary of Terms ==

 1. DMB - Developer Membership Board.
 2. GUI - Graphical User Interface.
 3. ISO - International Organization for Standardization. Also, the suffix
given to disk images that comply with the conventional Standards format.
 4. LTS - Long Term Support. - Said of a release that will receive support
for 3-years/5-years rather than the typical 18 months
 5. OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer.

Other acronyms can be found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/glossary

== Ubuntu - Get Involved ==

The Ubuntu community consists of individuals and teams, working on different
aspects of the distribution, giving advice and technical support, and
helping to promote Ubuntu to a wider audience. No contribution is too small,
and anyone can help. It's your chance to get in on all the community fun
associated with developing and promoting Ubuntu.
http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate

== Feedback ==

This document is maintained by the Ubuntu Weekly News Team. If you have a
story idea or suggestions for the Weekly Newsletter, join the Ubuntu News
Team mailing list at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-news-team and submit it.
Ideas can also be added to the wiki at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Ideas. If you'd like to
contribute to a future issue of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, please feel
free to edit the appropriate wiki page. If you have any technical support
questions, please send them to ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com.

Except where otherwise noted, content in this issue is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License