Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #166

John Crawford johnc4510 at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 1 22:57:23 GMT 2009

Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue #166 for the week October
25th - October 31st, 2009. In this issue we cover: Ubuntu 9.10 released,
Ubuntu Open Week, Ubuntu One Blog: File sync status update, Canonical
Blog: Landscape 1.4 Adds UEC Support, Asia Oceania Membership Board - 27
Oct 09, New MOTU, Ubuntu LoCo News, Meet Francis Lacoste, Accessing Git,
Subversion and Mercurial from Bazaar, Commenting on questions, The
Planet, Full Circle Magazine #30, Ubuntu Rescue Remix, and much, much more!

== UWN Translations ==

* Note to translators and our readers: We are trying a new way of
linking to our translations pages. Please follow the link below for the
information you need.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Translations

== In This Issue ==

* Ubuntu 9.10 released
* Ubuntu Open Week
* Ubuntu One Blog: File sync status update
* Canonical Blog: Landscape 1.4 Adds UEC Support
* Asia Oceania Membership Board - 27 Oct 09
* New MOTU
* Ubuntu Stats
* Ubuntu LoCo News: AZ, Dublin, Tamil, El Salvador, & Italy
* Meet Francis Lacoste
* Accessing Git, Subversion and Mercurial from Bazaar
* Commenting on questions
* The Planet: Jono Bacon, Jamie Strandoge, Miguel Ruiz, & Amber Graner
* In the Press & Blogosphere
* Full Circle Magazine #30
* Ubuntu Rescue Remix
* Upcoming Meetings & Events
* Updates & Security

== General Community News ==

=== Ubuntu 9.10 released ===

The Ubuntu team is pleased to announce Ubuntu 9.10 Desktop and Server
editions, Ubuntu 9.10 Server for Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud (UEC) and
Amazon's EC2, and Ubuntu Netbook Remix, continuing Ubuntu's tradition of
integrating the latest and greatest open source technologies into a
high-quality,
easy-to-use Linux distribution. Read more about the features of Ubuntu
9.10 in the following press releases:

* Desktop edition - http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-910
* Server edition - http://www.ubuntu.com/news/ubuntu-910-server-edition

Ubuntu 9.10 will be supported for 18 months on both desktops and
servers. Users requiring a longer support lifetime on the server may
choose to
continue using Ubuntu 8.04 LTS, with security support until 2013, rather
than upgrading to 9.10.

Thanks to the efforts of the global translation community, Ubuntu is
available in 25 languages. For a list of supported languages and detailed
translation statistics for these and other languages, see:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Translations/ReleaseLanguages/9.10

Ubuntu 9.10 includes the first official release of Ubuntu Server images
for UEC and for Amazon's EC2, giving you everything you need for rapid
deployment of Ubuntu instances in a cloud computing environment. UEC
images, and information on running Ubuntu 9.10 on EC2, are available at:
http://uec-images.ubuntu.com/releases/9.10/release

Ubuntu 9.10 is also the basis for new 9.10 releases of Kubuntu, Xubuntu,
Edubuntu, UbuntuStudio, and Mythbuntu:

* Kubuntu: http://kubuntu.org/news/9.10-release
* Xubuntu: http://xubuntu.org/news/9.10-release
* Edubuntu: http://edubuntu.org/news/9.10-release
* Mythbuntu: http://mythbuntu.org/9.10/release
* Ubuntu Studio: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuStudio/9.10release_notes

Users of Ubuntu 9.04 will be offered an automatic upgrade to 9.10 via
Update Manager. For further information about upgrading, see:
http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/upgrading

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-announce/2009-October/000127.html

=== Ubuntu Open Week ===

Ubuntu Open Week takes place from the 2nd – 6th November 2009. Open Week
is a week of free live online tuition and Q+A sessions that are provided
on a range of topics by many of the movers and shakers in out community.
If you are interested in getting involved in the Ubuntu community, this
is an incredible opportunity to learn many of the skills involved, meet
many of our contributors and just have a great time!

The way the sessions work is pretty simple, and everything is explained
here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek/JoiningIn You simply join
two discussion channels, one in which you watch the session leader
deliver a session and the other to ask questions in. This year we even
have a web based interface to the sessions, so it is easier than ever to
get involved! https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek/JoiningIn

This is an fantastic opportunity to welcome new members to our
incredible community, and I would like to encourage everyone to spread
the word about Ubuntu Open Week so that the opportunity is open to as
many people as possible: do go and blog, tweet, dent and otherwise
spread the word!

* Ubuntu Open Week Schedule: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek

http://www.jonobacon.org/2009/10/13/next-ubuntu-open-week-announced/

=== Ubuntu One Blog: File sync status update ===

A few Ubuntu One users have reported a bug (#462828) in the desktop
client software that could cause files to become unavailable in some
circumstances. As a temporary measure, we have updated our server to
display a “Capabilities Mismatch” error to prevent files from becoming
unavailable to users.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntuone-client/+bug/462828

A client software update will be released very soon in the update
channel. Manually running Update Manager will update your client to work
with the server and fix the root cause. Throughout this period, all
files are still available from the Ubuntu One website.
http://one.ubuntu.com/files

Contact syncing and tomboy syncing services have not been affected by
this issue.

UPDATE: A new client is available now for beta PPA users running 9.04
and 9.10. More updates coming soon.
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntuone/+archive/beta

UPDATE: The updated Ubuntu One client software is now available to those
running Ubuntu 9.10 and not using the beta PPA. Please run Update
Manager to install the new software.

http://voices.canonical.com/ubuntuone/?p=129

=== Canonical Blog: Landscape 1.4 Adds UEC Support ===

Cloud management dominates the theme for Landscape 1.4 with new features
that allow you to manage your private Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud (UEC) as
easily as you manage your instances on Amazon EC2. Also released are new
features that help system administrators be more efficient including
time based package updates and role based access. These new features
will be available this week on both the Hosted and Dedicated Server
Editions of Landscape.

Cloud Computing: UEC Support

Building upon our support for Amazon’s EC2 Cloud, users can now start,
stop and manage their private Ubuntu instances on their UEC from within
Landscape. Users simply enter their credentials directly through
Landscape to start, stop and manage an instance. We’ve designed
Landscape to work directly with both Amazon and Eucalyptus console pages
so you can manage your instances without having to use any other tools.
Landscape securely stores your security credentials making is easy to
spin up new instances on UEC or EC2 at anytime. Once the instances are
initiated, they all display on the same page allowing you manage all
your physical, virtual and Cloud instances in one place.

New Timed Package Updates

Users can now schedule package updates, system reboots and shutdowns in
the future with minute increments. This gives System Administrators the
flexibility to schedule activities for systems to occur during planned
maintenance windows or low use periods to minimise the impact on the
network. Now that we have developed the time / scheduling function, look
for us to add this to other areas of Landscape where it it makes sense,
like scheduling scripts in the future.

Administrator Roles

As Landscape is deployed in larger enterprises the need to delegate and
limit access to systems has become a key need. Now, in addition to
having a master admin who can manage all systems within a Landscape
account, you can delegate access to systems to other administrators.
This builds on our tags function (which allows you to tag computers
performing the same function and update them with a single command) to
allocate full access to systems by admin. Typically this means system
admins in different areas can be given full access to their local
systems, but not to those in another area or country. Like tags,
assigning systems to other administrators is completely flexible so you
can use what ever criteria you need.

The Landscape 1.4 client is available today and is included with Ubuntu
9.10 server edition. Details are at www.canonical.com/landscape

Ken Drachnik, Landscape Manager

http://blog.canonical.com/?p=276

=== Asia Oceania Membership Board - 27 Oct 09 ===

Aron Xu, of the Ubuntu Chinese LoCo Team is a new Ubuntu Member
following the Asia Oceania Membership Board meeting on 27 Oct 09. Aron
Xu has been contributing to Simplified Chinese Translations & is now an
active member of Ubuntu Translations Coordinator Team. More about Aron
Xu and his contributions at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AronXu

Zhengpeng Hou, the Chinese LoCo Team Contact, as new member of Asia
Oceania membership board as Board member of Asia Oceania Membership
Board. We thank Community Council for approving his inclusion. More
about Zhengpeng Hou at: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ZhengPengHou

The Asia Oceania Board and the Ubuntu Community welcome these newest
Ubuntu Members! The next meeting of the Asia Oceania Board is scheduled
on 10 Nov 2009 at 10.00 UTC.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-news-team/2009-October/000738.html

=== New MOTU ===

Jonathan lives in Cape Town, South Africa and his IRC nick is
highvoltage. He has been using Ubuntu since Warty 4.10. Working with
MOTU since 2005, Jonathan enjoys the open and sharing attitude of the
team. You can learn more about Jonathan at this link:
http://behindmotu.wordpress.com/2009/10/30/jonathan-carter-highvoltage/
Congratulations to Jonathan on becoming a MOTU.

* Open (70240) +2257 # over last week
* Critical (25) -4 # over last week
* Unconfirmed (35046) +2113 # over last week
* Unassigned (61297) +2045 # over last week
* All bugs ever reported (337001) +4604 # over last week

As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started,
please see https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

=== Translation Stats Karmic ===

1. Spanish (14671) −207 # over last week
2. Brazilian Portuguese (49151) −517 # over last week
3. French (50724) −116 # over last week
4. Swedish (68583) +2 # over last week
5. English (United Kingdom) (78223) −2 # over last week

Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala", see more
at: https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/

=== Ubuntu Brainstorm Top 5 this week ===

* Unify system tray behavior (drop-down menus) -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22036/
* The future Nautilus - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22153/
* Multitouch and gestures on touchpads -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22050/
* Notify for Daylight Saving Time - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22039/
* Not everyone uses Evolution, integrate other email clients with Ubuntu
One - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22144/

Ubuntu Brainstorm is a community site geared toward letting you add your
ideas for Ubuntu. You can submit your own idea, or vote for or against
another idea. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

== LoCo News ==

=== Ubuntu-AZ: ABLEconf ===

ABLEconf (Arizona Business and Liberty Experience conference) was held
on Saturday, October 24, 2009. Once again at the University of Advancing
Technology in Phoenix, the conference held more presentations than in
its inaugural. Among those displaying their services was the
Ubuntu-Arizona LoCo team.

We were a little disappointed with the conference at first, this year.
Not because my table was bracketed by Red Hat on one side and Fedora on
the other. No, it just seemed that there were very few people attending
the conference. All morning long, we only had a handful of people
approach the tables.

However, by noon, the whole area around the vendors’ tables seemed to
sprout people by the handfuls and in bunches. Then it hit me. Everyone
had been at the morning presentations. That’s why we hadn’t seen them.
About 90 people filled the space as PLUG (Phoenix Linux Users Group)
leader Hans started up the raffle for prizes. Sponsors had donated a
number of prizes to be given out – everything from books to a USB pen
(literally) drive, to a child’s penguin costume, to various food items.
Excitement ran high as Hans had tickets selected and numbers called off,
and good natured teasing erupted from all over.

The presentations were well received. Certainly discussions at our table
were enlightening both for the people who came to ask questions and for
me. If the questions raised at my table are any indication then people
are starting to think of more than just “what’s in it for me.” They are
beginning to ask about how Linux behaves and what is available, as well
as differences between distributions.

The talks with the Red Hat representatives was just as enlightening. We
discussed problems we’d had with various elements of our distributions –
everything from window managers and sound and graphics to problems
raised by others and how we strove to solve them. It was interesting to
find that we all shared similar problems and solutions. Unlike
commercial software vendors, there was no competition between us, or at
least only good natured competition.

All in all, a great event for the LoCo and Ubuntu!

http://tycheent.wordpress.com/2009/10/27/ubuntu-was-able/

=== Karmic Koala in Karma Dublin ===

The Ubuntu-ie LoCo held their Karmic Koala release party on Saturday and
had a massive turn out, They decided to go for a sit down lunch at Jimmy
Chungs, an all you can eat Chinese buffet, and they definitely had their
fill. After lunch they went to Karma, this was chosen by the LoCo team
with a poll and list of places to go. It also had free wifi and opened
up for the team when they got there. Pictures at the link below and also
here: http://pix.ie/czajkowski/album/359447

http://www.lczajkowski.com/2009/11/01/karmic-koala-in-karma-dublin/

=== Ubuntu Tamil Team Event at Salem, India ===

A day of demonstration was conducted for the General Public at Salem,
TamilNadu, India on Oct 11, 2009. Sri Ramadoss & Kanagaraj from Ubuntu
Tamil Team took part in the event and demonstrated the public on various
features of Ubuntu. A customized version of Ubuntu was used for this
purpose. The event was organized by Visual Media, Sangamamlive.com of
Salem. More
than fifty participants from across the district of Salem took part in
the Event.

* Snaps & detailed report in Tamil at:
http://kanimozhi.org.in/kanimozhi/?p=314

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-news-team/2009-October/000737.html

=== Ubuntu El Salvador ===

The Ubuntu El Salvador team met for the release of Karmic Koala. They
even had their our koala mascot in attendance. Check out the artwork and
picture at the link below.

http://decacross.org/blog/2009/10/welcome-karmic-koala/

=== Linuxday 2009 ===

Saturday 24th October, the Linux User Groups of Italy celebrated the
ninth Linuxday, an event promoted by the Italian Linux Society, and
organized by the Italians LUGs across 123 cities. Ubuntu-it speakers
attended some of these events, promoting Ubuntu and how to participate
in the community. Paolo Sammicheli was one of the Ubuntu-it speakers,
and there is a video at the link below of his slideshow.

http://xdatap1.wordpress.com/2009/10/30/linuxday-2009/

== Launchpad News ==

=== Meet Francis Lacoste ===

Francis Lacoste recently started on a six-month stint of running the
Canonical Launchpad team. It seemed like a good time to find out a
little more about him. The following are questions Fancis answered in
his interview:

* How did you get into free software
* What's more important, principle or pragmatism
* Do you, or have you contributed to any free software projects
* Tell us something really cool about Launchpad the not enough people
know about
* In the Principia Discordia, Malaclypse the Younger states that all
things happen in fives. What five things are coming soon in Launchpad
that you’re most excited about?
* Kiko’s special question! You’re at your computer, you reach for your
wallet: what are you most likely to be doing?

Read the whole interview at the link below.

http://blog.launchpad.net/meet-the-devs/meet-francis-lacoste

=== Accessing Git, Subversion and Mercurial from Bazaar ===

bzr-svn, bzr-git and bzr-hg are plugins for bzr that make Subversion,
Git and Mercurial branches first class citizens in the Bazaar world by
allowing you to access them in the same way that you would access native
Bazaar branches.

Bazaar has supported multiple file formats from its early days. Both its
model and its implementation allow this:

* Revisions are not identified by the checksum of their layout on disk
(as they are in systems like Git or Mercurial) but by a (pseudo-)random
string. This means that copying data to a different file format does not
affect the revision id.
* Repositories are accessed through a well defined interface. Other
parts of the code base are ignorant about the structure of the files on
disk.

This has made it easy to introduce better and experimental repository
formats without having to break old repositories or render them unusable
for previous versions of Bazaar by forcing upgrades. Initially new
formats were introduced at a very high pace (perhaps even a too high
pace?), but fortunately this has slowed down nowadays: the last default
format change before the 2.0 release was in 2007.

Having grown interested in Bazaar through Martin’s talk at Linux.Conf.Au
2005 and his blog posts I started looking into Bazaar in 2005. Since
Samba (the main FOSS project I work on) had just switched to Subversion,
I was interested in ways to interact with Subversion using Bazaar, in
particular so I could do off-line commits. On the Bazaar wiki Aaron had
suggested implementing the well defined interface for repository formats
for other version control systems (such as Subversion) as well. This
sounded very neat, so I decided to see how far I could get and looked
into learning Python and becoming more familiar with the Bazaar API.

Now, four years later, 700 bug reports and about 4400 revisions later,
we have released bzr-svn 1.0. The models of Subversion and Bazaar have
significant differences, and bzr-svn has to take care of mapping between
the semantics of both. Perhaps the best example of this is the fact that
a Subversion repository is basically a file system; there may be some
directories that are commonly used as containers for branches or tags,
but there are a lot of exceptions to this convention. In Bazaar on the
other hand, a branch is a primary object.

In 2006 Rob and Aaron created a simple plugin for accessing local Git
repositories in 2006 called bzr-git. Originally it was based on “stgit”,
a tool which (among other things) exposed a Python wrapper around the
git executables. Following a switch from Samba to Git I took over in
2008 and changed bzr-git to use a new native implementation of Git in
Python, based on a project by James. bzr-git now supports accessing
remote repositories, working trees and merging changes back into Git.

At the moment I am working on the bzr-hg plugin, again based on an
initial proof of concept by Rob. Last month ago the first version (0.1)
was released, providing sufficient support for cloning local and remote
Mercurial repositories and accessing working trees. There are still some
problems to work out — memory usage is excessive, commit and push do not
yet work — but there should be a stable plugin in a few months.

http://blog.launchpad.net/bazaar/accessing-git-subversion-and-mercurial-from-bazaar

=== Commenting on questions ===

If you’re using edge, you can now just comment on a question in
Launchpad. For all questions on Answers, the “Just Add a Comment” button
is now always visible. Previously, you might have only seen “Add Answer”
and “Add Information Request” (or others; the exact buttons vary), both
of which add a comment and cause the question status to change. But
often, for example, all you want to do is clarify an earlier comment,
add some detail, or give a progress update. For that, “Just Add a Comment”.

It’s been put at the rightmost position of all the buttons because we
think it should be the least used option. Normally it’s appropriate to
use one of the other buttons to move the workflow forward.

The button will land in production with the 3.1.10 release next week.

http://blog.launchpad.net/cool-new-stuff/commenting-on-questions

== The Planet ==

=== Jono Bacon: 1000 reasons the be excited ===

Jono was on a mission, and it looks like he was successful. On release
day, IRC channel #ubuntu-release-party got a total of 1000 people in
channel. w00t! and congrats to all those who joined the channel and had
a great time.

http://www.jonobacon.org/2009/10/29/1000-reasons-to-be-excited/

=== Jamie Strandoge: Koala Pumpkin ===

Simple, but effective. Jamie's Happy Halloween carved pumpkin really
looks koala(ish). Check out the pictures at the link.

http://penguindroppings.wordpress.com/2009/11/01/happy-halloween/

=== Miguel Ruiz: Release time ===

Thursday was an important day for the Ubuntu community: Karmic Koala was
released. Yay! I want to say thanks to everyone involved on this cycle.
We are improving at every release and our community is becoming stronger
and bigger. In celebration, Pedro and I created a mini release party to
celebrate the day. Welcome Lucid Lynx! Picture at the link below.

http://mruiz.openminds.cl/blog/index.php/2009/10/30/release-time/

=== Michael Lustfield: Creating Your Own Bazaar Server ===

By now we've all heard about the Bazaar (bzr) version control system. If
you're a coder then you're well aware of what a version control system
is and why it's helpful. If you code on Launchpad you're equally aware
how incredibly awesome this system is.

Rather than discuss how incredible bazaar is, I'd like to explain how to
set up a production level deployment for a bzr server. If you're curious
what makes bazaar great, just try it out. You can use
https://staging.launchpad.net/ to create branches for playing around.

To deploy a low level and basic setup you only need to run this command
on your server:
sudo aptitude install openssh-server bzr

That's really all there is to it. You can now push an existing code
branch to your server using the following command:
bzr push ssh+bzr://yourserver.com/~/branch

That's only a basic deployment. What I like doing is having branches
where multiple people can work on the same branch. This first thing I do
is create a directory that this whole thing will be based in. I like to
do this on its own partition for obvious reasons. For me this always
exists at /bazaar. I then use the following: Please visit the link below
for the rest of the instructions necessary to complete your bazaar server.

http://profarius.com/content/creating-your-own-bazaar-server

=== Amber Graner: Meet Platform Team Managers - Marjo Mercado and Matt
Zimmerman ===

In this interview, we meet Marjo Mercado, Ubuntu QA Team Manager and the
newest member of the Canonical Platform team. And in the final interview
in my Where Karmic's Karma Comes From series, we meet Matt Zimmerman,
Ubuntu CTO and chair of the Ubuntu Technical Board. Matt brings each
team together with his tireless efforts to ensure quality,
professionalism, and polish to each release.

* Mercado interview:
http://ubuntu-user.com/Online/Blogs/Amber-Graner-You-in-Ubuntu/Meet-the-Platform-Team-Managers-Marjo-Mercado
* Zimmerman interview:
http://ubuntu-user.com/Online/Blogs/Amber-Graner-You-in-Ubuntu/Meet-the-Platform-Team-Managers-Matt-Zimmerman

http://amber.redvoodoo.org/2009/10/you-in-ubuntu-meet-platform-team_27.html

== In The Press ==

=== Running Ubuntu 9.10 With Older PC Hardware ===

Phoronix's Michael Larabel tells us that for the most part, Ubuntu 9.10
offers better performance over its predecessor, but in his testing there
were a few performance drops in different areas. With that in mind he
looked at how Ubuntu 9.10 is running with older PC hardware. Larabel
determined that Ubuntu 9.10 offers a number of new features to Linux
desktop and server users along with other core improvements to this
incredibly popular Linux distribution. In a number of our tests today
with an older ThinkPad notebook, Ubuntu 9.10 also provided the best
performance when compared to earlier Ubuntu releases from the past 18
months.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_karmic_old&num=1

=== Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" Officially Released ===

Michael Larabel of Phoronix reports that just as planned, Ubuntu 9.10
"Karmic Koala" has been officially released on October 29th.
Additionally, 9.10 Karmic releases of Kubuntu, Xubuntu, Edubuntu,
Mythbuntu, and Ubuntu Studio are also available. The Ubuntu 9.10 Server
build also sports support for the Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud (UEC) and
Amazon EC2 support. Furthermore, another flavor of Ubuntu 9.10 that is
also available is Ubuntu 9.10 Netbook Remix with its many improvements.
The Ubuntu 9.10 release notes are available and there is also a
graphical overview. Download Ubuntu 9.10 and the other members of the
Karmic Koala family from Ubuntu.com.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzY1MQ

=== Ubuntu 9.10 'Karmic Koala' released, could decide your OS fate ===

Engadget's Thomas Ricker says it's October 2009 which means something
very special for Linux fans: a 9.10 release of Ubuntu. On October 29th
we see the launch of "Karmic Koala" featuring a faster graphical boot
sequence (no more scary text scrolls), a revamped audio framework that
improves sound control across multiple applications, and a new Software
Center that visually simplifies the Add/Remove Applications tool. These
are just a few of the user-centric improvements meant to have a
"transformative effect" on the OS experience and help bring "the world
of open source closer to the user." It's available in desktop, server,
and netbook editions now so get to it, before you know it you'll be
updating to Lucid Lynx.
http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/29/ubuntu-9-10-karmic-koala-launching-today-could-decide-your-fu/

=== Ubuntu Linux 9.10 'Karmic Koala' Starts Its Climb ===

Sean Michael Kerner of InternetNews.com recalls that in February, Ubuntu
Linux founder Mark Shuttleworth announced that Ubuntu 9.10 would be
codenamed the "Karmic Koala". On October 29th, after months of
development and buzz, the Karmic Koala was officially released into the
wild. The first thing that new users are likely to notice about the
Karmic release is the speedier boot process. "The boot process is now
substantially faster in Karmic than it has been in any previous Ubuntu
release," Shuttleworth said in a conference call with the media earlier
this week. "We have a goal to get to a 10-second boot, and Karmic is a
nice step in that direction."
http://www.internetnews.com/software/article.php/3846141

=== Ubuntu Linux 9.10 (Karmic Koala) ===

Desktop Linux Reviews' Jim Lynch tells us that since the launch of
Desktop Linux Reviews, he has covered a number of different remastered
versions of Ubuntu Linux. But he hasn’t done a review of Ubuntu itself.
He is happy to note that Ubuntu Linux has hit version 9.10 and has some
nifty new features that make it worth reviewing here. Ubuntu Linux 9.10
is well worth upgrading to if you’re running an earlier version of
Ubuntu. There’s some great new desktop features in this release as well
as some new stuff that isn’t readily apparent on the surface. Lynch
enthusiastically recommend Ubuntu Linux 9.10 for beginners as well as
more experienced Linux users. It remains one of the best desktop Linux
distributions around and it’s the basis for so many fun remasters. In
Lynch's opinion, It’s definitely worth a download.
http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/2009/10/26/ubuntu-linux-9-10-karmic-koala/

== In The Blogosphere ==

=== Mark Shuttleworth: 10 Thoughts On Ubuntu 9.10 ===

ark Shuttleworth, Canonical CEO, gave a phone briefing to members of the
IT media on 26 Oct about the Ubuntu 9.10. In this article, Joe
Panettieri, of workswithU, gives us the Top 10 highlights from the call
he had the opportunity to participate in.
Highlights include:

1. The User Experience
2. Competition with Microsoft, Windows 7
3. On the NetbookMarket
4. On Oracle's Buyout of Sun (and MySQL)
5. On Canonical's March Toward Profits
6. Simple Commercial Software Installs
7. Closed Source ISVs - Still a Challenge
8. But there is ISV Progress
9. Amazon As A Cloud Standard
10. Server Hardware Relationships

Whether you are interested in the desktop, server, or the cloud strategy
Joe's elaboration on Mark Shuttleworth's key points are well worth the
read.
http://www.workswithu.com/2009/10/26/mark-shuttleworth-10-thoughts-on-ubuntu-910/

=== Top things to do after installing Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala ===

The Silent Number, Blogger, Danny Piccirillo, in this article talks
about what to do after installing Ubuntu 9.10. Danny has painstakingly
gone through and documented complete with screen shots of Basic Things,
to Eye candy to Audio/Video Creation and Editing. Oh, but that is far
from all. He gives advise on Multimedia Playback: Media Center, Video
Feeds, Media Player. The fun doesn't stop there take a look at the
section on Google Chrome, and Epiphany. If you like a little workout for
your brain he even goes into gbrainy. Wanna know more about Gwibber and
empathy? What about the PlayDeb options that are available? This article
is a definite read for anyone who has just updated or freshly installed
Ubuntu 9.10, Karmic Koala. There is something for novice Ubuntu User to
the seasoned professional. Danny does a great job with detailing the
instructions as mentioned above including some awesome screen shots.
Wanna know what to do now - click the link and talk full advantage what
Danny is sharing with Ubuntu Users. http://www.reddit.com/tb/9z2xk/

=== My Thoughts on Ubuntu 9.10 ===

Ed Hewitt, Blogger, Gamer and Columnist, Ubuntu Games, for Full Circle
Magazine takes a moment to share his thoughts on Ubuntu 9.10, Karmic
Koala. Ed has been using Karmic since the Beta was released and now
takes a moment to reflect on the newest addition to Ubuntu. Ed believes
that Karmic is the best release to date! He attributes this components
to making this happen: Ubuntu Hundred Paper Cuts Project, new look of
the User Interface, and the Linux Kernel that shipped with 9.10. In his
article Ed goes into much more detail about all 3 of these components.
Ed also talks about some new features and applications with Karmic as
well as the Firefox advancements. He concludes with praises for Ubuntu
9.10 and is looking forward to "further improvements and polish"
http://edhewitt.co.uk/2009/10/29/my-thoughts-on-ubuntu-9-10/

=== Centrify: Ubuntu Server Edition 9.10 Meets Active Directory ===

Joe Panettieri, workswithU, discusses the significance of ISV's such as
Centrify offering support of the Ubuntu Server. When Ubuntu 9.10 was
launched on the 29th of October, Certify (maker of Microsoft Active
Directory, related tools) vowed support of the Ubuntu Server Edition
9.10. Joe points out that though this may be a small step in gaining a
"foothold" in the Windows Corporate networks it is still significant
step. In this post Joe goes on to tell why this is important and what he
would like to see other ISV (Independent Software Vendors) do in support
of future Ubuntu Service Releases. Especially the next release (Ubuntu
10.4, Lucid Lynx, Server Edition) as it will be a Long Term Supported
(LTS) Release. Though Joe is careful to state he hasn't tested Centrify
he does show his excitement and support for ISV's willing to support the
Ubuntu 9.10 and future Server Editions.
http://www.workswithu.com/2009/10/29/centrify-ubuntu-server-edition-910-meets-active-directory/

=== Ubuntu 9.10: confidence riding high at Canonical ===

Sam Varghese, iTWire, discusses the confidence, assertiveness, and
cleverness at Canonical, the Corporate sponsor of the Ubuntu Project. In
this article Sam discusses the release of Karmic as "the best of all its
releases". He also discusses the ShipIt announcement, in which Canonical
COO, Jane Silber announced changes and scaling back of the program. Sam
cites this is an indicator of Ubuntu being ready for "primetime". Sam
also talks about the careful naming of each release and what the names
say about the state and goals of each Ubuntu release. Sam reminds us not
to forget about the marketing of Ubuntu through IBM or what effect
Microsoft announcing the release of documentation of Outlook Personal
Folders will do for Ubuntu. Sam discusses where the Ubuntu Project was
in 2004 and where and why there is no place to go but up. Read about
these things and more in this insightful iTWire story by Sam Varghese.
http://www.itwire.com/content/view/28830/1090/

=== Ubuntu 9.10: Linux for business ===

Steven J. Vaughan-Nicols, Computerworld Blogger, notes that with the
release of Ubuntu 9.10, Karmic Koala, that Ubuntu means business, with a
growing emphasis on the server market. Steven, points out that there is
no doubt that Ubuntu 9.10 is a great desktop distro, but it is clear
that Canonical is serious about having (making) the Ubuntu 9.10 Server
known in the enterprise market. Steven, points to a conversation he
recently had with Steve George, Canonical, Dir. of Support and Services,
that "Canonical saw it's Amazon EC2 (Elastic Compute Cloud) compatible
UEC (Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud) as being perhaps Ubuntu 9.10's most
important feature" No matter where you want to run your server Ubuntu
has something for you. Wanna look into the the future of Enterprise
Servers - Look into Ubuntu 9.10 (and beyond) Server Edition and see what
solutions Canonical can offer you through the Ubuntu Server and cloud
computing. Steven does a great job explaining it and provides links to
help the reader figure out what is best. So take a look and see what
giant step Ubuntu is taking for the business model.
http://blogs.computerworld.com/14999/ubuntu_9_10_linux_for_business

=== Ubuntu 9.10 is the Appetizer; Ubuntu 10.04 is the Meal ===

Joe Panettieri, of Works With U, isn't ready to say that Ubuntu 9.10 is
the "default alternative to Windows." It's his opinion that Ubuntu
10.04, being a Long Term Support (LTS) release will be the one that
counts, especially on servers and in the cloud. He is hearing that
"Canonical’s server and partner teams already have their eyes on Ubuntu
10.04 (Lucid Lynx), a Long Term Support (LTS) release expected in April
2010." But time will tell, as corporate deployments of Ubuntu result in
revenue flowing to Canonical. See his review at the link.

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/10/28/ubuntu-910-is-the-appetizer-ubuntu-1004-is-the-meal/

=== Yes, Ubuntu can absolutely be the default Windows alternative ===

Christopher Dawson, writing on ZDNet's News and Blogs section, talks
about all the places that Ubuntu is advancing and Windows is not: for
example, the mobile and ARM platforms and the cloud. He acknowledges
that many feel that Windows 7 is the best Windows yet, but the reason is
because of the competition generated by Ubuntu and others in the FLOSS
community. And competition is the word, as Ubuntu is available on MID,
netbook, kiosk, phone, virtualization and smartbook. See his comments at
the link.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=26606

=== ZaReason Bolsters Ubuntu 9.10 Branding ===

Joe Panettieri, of Works With U, notes that ZaReason is offering a stick
of Ubuntu case badges with purchase of a new computer between October 29
and November 5. ZaReason already puts the logo on keyboards and case
badges on netbooks, notebooks, laptops and servers. Now, they're going
beyond that, at least temporarily. The reason? Brand recognition. His
comments can be seen at the link.

http://www.workswithu.com/2009/10/29/zareason-bolsters-ubuntu-910-branding/

== In Other News ==

=== Full Circle Magazine #30 ===

Full Circle - the independent magazine for the Ubuntu Linux community
are proud to announce the release of their thirtieth issue.

This month:

* Command and Conquer
* How-To : Program in Python - Part 4, Applications for Bookworms,
Installing OpenOffice.org Base.
* My Story - The Doctor Is In, Recording Porgy & Bess, Ubuntu
Reincarnates Pensioners Laptop
* My Opinion - Acer Aspire One Distros
* Review - Sony PRS-505 Ebook Reader
* MOTU Interview - Thierry Carrez.
* Top 5 - Writing Applications.
* Ubuntu Women, Ubuntu Games and all the usual goodness!

Get it while it's hot: http://fullcirclemagazine.org/issue-30

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-news-team/2009-October/000742.html

=== Ubuntu Rescue Remix ===

Ubuntu Rescue Remix is a toolkit of open source command line interface
(CLI) programs to perform data recovery. Presented in .iso format and
updated to Ubuntu 9.10, it can be burned to CD or even installed on a
USB using USB Startup Disk Creator. For those who don't want to use CLI,
it can also be added to the repositories. A list of the tools, broken
down by type, can be seen at http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/Software .
Feel free to view the entire article, which includes the MD5SUMS.

http://ubuntu-rescue-remix.org/node/195

== Upcoming Meetings and Events ==

=== Monday, November 02, 2009 ===

==== Ubuntu Open Week ====

* Start: 15:00 UTC
* End: 22:00 UTC
* Location: IRC #ubuntu-classroom and #ubuntu-classroom-chat
* Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek/

==== Security Team Catch-up ====

* Start: 18:00 UTC
* End: 18:30 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: nothing formal, just a weekly catch-up.

=== Tuesday, November 03, 2009 ===

==== Ubuntu Mobile Team Meeting ====

* Start: 13:00 UTC
* End: 14:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Mobile­Team/Meeting

==== Technical Board Meeting ====

* Start: 15:00 UTC
* End: 16:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: None listed as of publication

==== Ubuntu Open Week ====

* Start: 15:00 UTC
* End: 22:00 UTC
* Location: IRC #ubuntu-classroom and #ubuntu-classroom-chat
* Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek/

==== Server Team Meeting ====

* Start: 16:00 UTC
* End: 17:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Server­Team/Meeting

==== Desktop Team Meeting ====

* Start: 16:30 UTC
* End: 17:30 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-desktop
* Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Deskto­pTeam/Meeting

==== Kernel Team Meeting ====

* Start: 17:00 UTC
* End: 18:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: None listed as of publication

==== LoCo Teams Meeting ====

* Start: 18:00 UTC
* End: 19:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-locoteams
* Agenda: None listed as of publication

==== EMEA Membership Meeting ====

* Start: 21:00 UTC
* End: 22:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Member­ship/RegionalBoards/EMEA

==== Community Council Meeting ====

* Start: 22:00 UTC
* End: 24:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Commun­ityCouncilAgenda

=== Wednesday, November 04, 2009 ===

==== Ubuntu Beginners Team Meeting ====

* Start: 00:00 UTC
* End: 01:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Beginn­ersTeam/Meetings

==== Cameroonian LoCoTeam monthly IRC meeting ====

* Start: 14:00 UTC
* End: 16:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-cm
* Agenda: https://wiki.ub­untu.com/CameroonianTeam/NextMeeting

==== Ubuntu Open Week ====

* Start: 15:00 UTC
* End: 22:00 UTC
* Location: IRC #ubuntu-classroom and #ubuntu-classroom-chat
* Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek/

==== Foundation Team Meeting ====

* Start: 16:00 UTC
* End: 17:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: None listed as of publication

==== QA Team Meeting ====

* Start: 17:00 UTC
* End: 18:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Meetings/

=== Thursday, November 05, 2009 ===

==== Ubuntu Java Meeting ====

* Start: 14:00 UTC
* End: 15:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: None listed as of publication

==== Ubuntu Open Week ====

* Start: 15:00 UTC
* End: 22:00 UTC
* Location: IRC #ubuntu-classroom and #ubuntu-classroom-chat
* Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek/

==== Ubuntu Translations Meeting ====

* Start: 16:00 UTC
* End: 17:00 UTC
* Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
* Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TranslatingUbuntu/Events/Meetings

=== Friday, November 06, 2009 ===

==== Ubuntu Open Week ====

* Start: 15:00 UTC
* End: 22:00 UTC
* Location: IRC #ubuntu-classroom and #ubuntu-classroom-chat
* Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuOpenWeek/

=== Saturday, November 07, 2009 ===

* None listed as of publication

=== Sunday, November 08, 2009 ===

* None listed as of publication

== Updates and Security for 6.06, 8.04, 8.10, 9.04 and 9.10 ==

=== Security Updates ===

* USN-853-1: Firefox and Xulrunner vulnerabilities-
http://www.ubuntu.com//usn/USN-853-1

=== Ubuntu 6.06 Updates ===

* Nothing posted as of publication

=== Ubuntu 8.04 Updates ===

* db2exc 9.7.0-8 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2009-October/012317.html
* informix-csdk 3.50.UC5DE-5 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2009-October/012318.html
* parallels 2.2.2238-2hardy4 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2009-October/012319.html
* virtualbox-ose-modules 24.0.11 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2009-October/012320.html
* acroread 9.2-1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2009-October/012321.html
* pidgin 1:2.4.1-1ubuntu2.7 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2009-October/012322.html

=== Ubuntu 8.10 Updates ===

* acroread 9.2-1intrepid2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/intrepid-changes/2009-October/009773.html

=== Ubuntu 9.04 Updates ===

* evolution-indicator 0.1.13-0ubuntu1.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2009-October/009911.html
* isdnutils 1:3.12.20071127-0ubuntu5.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2009-October/009912.html
* acroread 9.2-1jaunty1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2009-October/009913.html
* update-manager 1:0.111.10 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/jaunty-changes/2009-October/009914.html

=== Ubuntu 9.10 Updates ===

* stepic 0.3-1ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011804.html
* py-asterisk 0.1a3+r160-4ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011803.html
* monodevelop 2.0+dfsg-2ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011802.html
* prism 1.0~b2+svn20090813r49078-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011805.html
* pycocuma 0.4.5-6-5ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011806.html
* gwibber 2.0.0~bzr476-0ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011807.html
* eclipse 3.5.1+repack~1-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011809.html
* tkgate 1.8.7-1ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011808.html
* checkgmail 1.13+svn43-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011810.html
* testng 5.10+dfsg-2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011811.html
* gui-ufw 9.10.4-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011812.html
* harden 0.1.35 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011813.html
* weirdx 1.0.32-4 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011814.html
* gnome-do-plugins 0.8.2.1+dfsg-1~ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011815.html
* haskell-hsh 2.0.3-1ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011816.html
* libpam-blue 0.9.0-2.3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011817.html
* releaseforge 1.3-1ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011818.html
* audacity 1.3.9-6 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011819.html
* mupen64plus 1.5+dfsg1-7 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011820.html
* sqliteodbc 0.80-1ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011821.html
* xpn 1.2.6-1ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011822.html
* ogre 1.6.1.dfsg1-1ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011823.html
* libmoosex-declare-perl 0.23-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011824.html
* mythexport 2.1.3-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011828.html
* mythplugins 0.22.0+fixes22594-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011825.html
* spring-engine 0.80.5-0ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011826.html
* mythtv 0.22.0+fixes22594-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011827.html
* deskbar-applet 2.28.0-0ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011829.html
* tomcat6 6.0.20-2ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011830.html
* ubiquity 2.0.4 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011831.html
* jakarta-jmeter 2.3.4-0ubuntu5 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011832.html
* software-center 1.0.2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011833.html
* clamav 0.95.2+dfsg-4ubuntu4 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011834.html
* wine 1.0.1-0ubuntu8 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011836.html
* wine1.2 1.1.31-0ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011835.html
* tracker 0.6.95-1ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011837.html
* ia32-libs 2.7ubuntu17 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011838.html
* pulseaudio 1:0.9.19-0ubuntu4 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011839.html
* nvidia-graphics-drivers-173 173.14.20-0ubuntu5 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011842.html
* nvidia-graphics-drivers-180 185.18.36-0ubuntu9 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011840.html
* nvidia-graphics-drivers-96 96.43.13-0ubuntu6 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011841.html
* xserver-xorg-input-evdev 1:2.2.5-1ubuntu6 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011843.html
* xserver-xorg-input-vmmouse 1:12.6.4-1ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011844.html
* daemontools 1:0.76-3ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011845.html
* usplash 0.5.48 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011846.html
* mountall 1.0 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011847.html
* maven-docck-plugin 1.0-2ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011848.html
* akonadi 1.2.1-0ubuntu4 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011849.html
* tracker 0.6.95-1ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011850.html
* lupin 0.26 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011851.html
* lupin 0.27 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011852.html
* netbook-launcher 2.1.12-0ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011853.html
* emacsen-common 1.4.19ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011854.html
* helium 1.6-4.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011855.html
* wxbanker 0.5.0.0-0ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011856.html
* darcs 2.3.0-2ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011857.html
* unr-meta 1.171 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011858.html
* mandos 1.0.13-1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011859.html
* ogre 1.6.1.dfsg1-1ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011860.html
* mandos 1.0.13-1build1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011861.html
* python-poppler 0.10.0-1ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011862.html
* netbook-launcher 2.1.12-0ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011863.html
* python-augeas 0.2.0-1ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011864.html
* xmlunit 1.3-1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011865.html
* quickly 0.2.6 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011866.html
* kdebase-runtime 4:4.3.2-0ubuntu4 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011867.html
* bindwood 0.4.2-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011868.html
* xorg-server 2:1.6.4-2ubuntu4 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011869.html
* mseide-msegui 1.8-1ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011870.html
* python-kinterbasdb 3.2-3ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011871.html
* kcheckgmail 0.5.7.7-2ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011872.html
* azureus 4.2.0.8-3ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011873.html
* python-kinterbasdb 3.2-3ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011874.html
* llvm 2.6-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011875.html
* gnome-translate 0.99-0ubuntu5 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011876.html
* evolution-rss 0.1.4-1ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011877.html
* python-goopy 0.1-3ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011878.html
* kobodeluxe 0.5.1-4ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011879.html
* knmap 2.1-3ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011880.html
* htcheck 1:1.2.4~rc1-1ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011881.html
* gnoemoe 2.2.0+dfsg-2ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011882.html
* klogic 1.63-5ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011883.html
* kdbg 2.1.1-1ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011884.html
* jargoninformatique 1.3.6-0ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011885.html
* libcsfml 1.4-2ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011886.html
* helix-player 1.0.9-0ubuntu7 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011888.html
* python-happydoc 2.1-6ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011887.html
* libcommons-openpgp-java 0+svn533492-1ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011889.html
* bindwood 0.4.2-0ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011890.html
* sugar-hulahop 0.4.9-1ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011891.html
* pympd 0.07-1.2ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011892.html
* llvm-gcc-4.2 2.6~pre1-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011893.html
* klamav 0.46-2ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011894.html
* gnurobots 2:1.2.0-4ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011895.html
* pygopherd 2.0.18.3+nmu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011896.html
* ec2-init 0.4.999-0ubuntu7 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011897.html
* partman-iscsi 7 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011898.html
* jlint 3.0-4.2ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011899.html
* gajim 0.12.5-0ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011900.html
* helix-player 1.0.9-0ubuntu8 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011901.html
* opennebula 1.2-0ubuntu6 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011902.html
* rapache 0.7-0ubuntu5 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011903.html
* kmchart 1.2.9ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011904.html
* pyproj 1.8.5-0ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011905.html
* jta 2.6+dfsg-2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011906.html
* usb-imagewriter 0.1.3-0ubuntu4 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011907.html
* gfxboot-theme-ubuntu 0.8.9 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011908.html
* texinfo 4.13a.dfsg.1-4ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011909.html
* checkbox 0.8.5 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011910.html
* user-setup 1.27ubuntu11 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011911.html
* usplash 0.5.49 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011912.html
* ubiquity 2.0.5 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011913.html
* linux-ports-meta 2.6.31.14.13 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011914.html
* myththemes 1:0.22.0~zrc1-0ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011915.html
* partman-basicmethods 43ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011916.html
* ubiquity 2.0.6 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011917.html
* partman-target 64ubuntu5 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011918.html
* adobe-flashplugin 10.0.32.18-1karmic2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011919.html
* ubiquity 2.0.7 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011920.html
* geresh 0.6.3-9ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011921.html
* ubiquity 2.0.8 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011922.html
* ubuntuone-client 1.0.2-0ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011923.html
* groovy 1.6.3-1ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011926.html
* bcel 5.2-3ubuntu4 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011927.html
* antlr 2.7.7-11ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011924.html
* python2.6 2.6.4-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011925.html
* jmagick 6.2.6-0-4ubuntu1.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011930.html
* binutils 2.20-0ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011931.html
* xsplash 0.8.5-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011932.html
* libxstream-java 1.3.1-1ubuntu4 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011929.html
* libregexp-java 1.4-5ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011928.html
* empathy 2.28.1.1-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011934.html
* pyproj 1.8.5-0ubuntu3.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011933.html
* nvidia-common 0.2.15.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011935.html
* libxpp3-java 1.1.3.4.O-4ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011937.html
* samba 2:3.4.0-3ubuntu5.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011938.html
* update-manager 1:0.126.7 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011936.html
* grub2 1.97~beta4-1ubuntu4 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011939.html
* totem 2.28.2-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011942.html
* gnudatalanguage 0.9~rc1-1.1ubuntu2.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011940.html
* jline 0.9.94-5~ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011941.html
* kdebindings 4:4.3.2-0ubuntu4.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011943.html
* fuse 2.7.4-1.1ubuntu4.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011944.html
* asm2 2.2.3-4~ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011945.html
* acroread 9.2-1karmic1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011946.html
* maven-war-plugin 2.1~beta1-1build1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011951.html
* maven-javadoc-plugin 2.5-2build1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011948.html
* maven-invoker-plugin 1.3-2build1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011954.html
* maven-ejb-plugin 2.2-1build1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011950.html
* maven-ear-plugin 2.3.2-1build1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011952.html
* doxia-maven-plugin 1.1.1-2build1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011953.html
* maven-antrun-plugin 1.3-1build1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011947.html
* clirr-maven-plugin 2.2.2-2build1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011949.html
* f-spot 0.6.1.4-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011955.html
* php5 5.2.10.dfsg.1-2ubuntu6.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011956.html
* qemu-kvm 0.11.0-0ubuntu6.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011957.html
* openafs 1.4.11+dfsg-1ubuntu0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011958.html
* eclipse 3.5.1+repack~1-0ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011959.html
* brasero 2.28.2-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011960.html
* eclipse 3.5.1+repack~1-0ubuntu3 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011961.html
* python-defaults 2.6.4-0ubuntu1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011962.html
* update-manager 1:0.126.8 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/karmic-changes/2009-October/011963.html

== Archives and RSS Feed ==

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter

You can subscribe to the Ubuntu Weekly News via RSS at:
http://fridge.ubuntu.com/uwn/feed

== Additional Ubuntu News ==

http://www.ubuntu.com/news

and

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/

== Conclusion ==

== Credits ==

The Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter is brought to you by:

* John Crawford
* Craig A. Eddy
* Dave Bush
* Sayak Banerjee
* Amber Graner
* And many others

== Glossary of Terms ==

1. API - Application Programming Interface.
1. FOSS - Free Open Source Software.
1. LTS - Long Term Support. - Said of a release that will receive
support for 3-years/5-years rather than the typical 18 months
1. MOTU - Master Of The Universe - Developers responsible for the
Universe and Multiverse repositories. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU
1. IRC - Internet Relay Chat.
1. ISV - Independent Software Vendors.
1. PPA - Personal Package Archive - http://help.launchpad.net/PPA
1. Q&A - Question And Answer.
1. QA - Quality Assurance.

Other acronyms can be found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/glossary

== Ubuntu - Get Involved ==

The Ubuntu community consists of individuals and teams, working on
different aspects of the distribution, giving advice and technical
support, and helping to promote Ubuntu to a wider audience. No
contribution is too small, and anyone can help. It's your chance to get
in on all the community fun associated with developing and promoting
Ubuntu. http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate

== Feedback ==

This document is maintained by the Ubuntu Weekly News Team. If you have
a story idea or suggestions for the Weekly Newsletter, join the Ubuntu
News Team mailing list at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-news-team and submit
it. Ideas can also be added to the wiki at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Ideas. If you'd like to
contribute to a future issue of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, please
feel free to edit the appropriate wiki page. If you have any technical
support questions, please send them to ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com.

Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License BY SA