Ubuntu Weekly News #144

Dave Bush myrtlebeachbums at ubuntu.com
Mon Jun 1 00:23:40 BST 2009

Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue #144 for the week May 24th -
May 30th, 2009. In this issue we cover Ubunutu Forums Tutorial of the Week,
New Ubuntu One sub-forum, In The Press, In The Blogosphere, the latest
Ubuntu-UK Podcast, Meeting Summaries, Lo``Co Teams, Upcoming Events, and
much, much more!!

== UWN Translations ==

 * Note to translators and our readers: We are trying a new way of linking
to our translations pages. Please follow the link below for the information
you need.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Translations

== In This Issue ==

 * Ubuntu Stats
 * Tutorial of the Week
 * Ubuntu One New Sub-Forum
 * In the Press & Blogosphere
 * Ubuntu-UK Podcast: The Long Game
 * Linux Mint 7 is based on Ubuntu 9.04
 * Ubuntu Team & Lo``Co Meeting Minutes
 * Upcoming Meetings & Events
 * Updates & Security

 * Open (57328) +576 over last week
 * Critical (18) +1 over last week
 * Unconfirmed (26377) +322 over last week
 * Unassigned (49363) +536 over last week
 * All bugs ever reported (285115) +1339 over last week

As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started, please
see  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

=== Translation Stats Jaunty ===

 * Spanish (14188) -194 over last week
 * French (42895) -139 over last week
 * Brazilian Portuguese (53688) -149 over last week
 * Swedish (54440) +/-0 over last week
 * English (United Kingdom) (59008) +/-0 over last week

Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope," see more
at: https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/

=== Ubuntu Brainstorm Top 5 this week ===

 * Simplify the system of preferences -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/19982/
 * Provide a proper, understandable descriptions of directories -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/20013/
 * Ubuntu forums is overloaded - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/20054/
 * Limited wallpaper position options -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/20055/
 * Swap partition cleaning - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/20049/

Ubuntu Brainstorm is a community site geared toward letting you add your
ideas for Ubuntu. You can submit your own idea, or vote for or against
another idea. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

== Ubuntu Forums News ==

=== Tutorial of The Week ===

Mon June 1st, 2009.

This week, we step again out of the Tutorial & Tips section of the forums,
to highlight psyke83's (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=50843) gigantic
How``To: Jaunty Intel Graphics Performance Guide. Intel graphic hardware is
quite popular and Intel drivers code has been extensively developed. Jaunty
has some problems with the latest Intel drivers or acceleration method. You
can choose one of the three proposed methods, from safe, to optimal and the
always risky bleeding edge.

We hope this will help you with Intel video chips, please feel free to post
your questions in the thread, psyke83 is actively supporting his tutorial.

See you next week !

=== Ubuntu One New Sub-Forum ===

There is now a place to discuss Ubuntu One on the forums and it can be found
here: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=367.