Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #150

John Crawford johnc4510 at ubuntu.com
Sun Jul 12 23:39:24 BST 2009

Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue #150 for the week July
5th - July 11th, 2009. In this issue we cover: Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Desktop
Edition reaches end-of-life, Community Council: Nominations, MOTU
Council, Call for testing: KVM in Jaunty proposed, Ubuntu LoCo Systems
admin lessons: Massachusetts LoCo, Ubuntu Forums Tutorial of the Week &
Community Interview, The Ubuntu Museum, Karmic Wallpapers, Ubuntu
Podcast #30, Ubuntu User Magazine, Ubuntu Netbook is released by Archos,
Ubuntu Server Team Meeting Summary, and much, much more!

== UWN Translations ==

  * Note to translators and our readers: We are trying a new way of
linking to our translations pages. Please follow the link below for the
information you need.

== In This Issue ==

  * Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Desktop Edition reaches end-of-life
  * Community Council: Nominations
  * MOTU Council
  * Ubuntu Stats
  * Call for testing: KVM in Jaunty proposed
  * Ubuntu LoCo Systems admin lessons: Massachusetts LoCo
  * Launchpad News
  * Ubuntu Forums Tutorial of the Week & Community Interview
  * The Ubuntu Museum
  * Karmic Wallpapers
  * In the Press & Blogosphere
  * Ubuntu Podcast #30
  * Ubuntu User Magazine
  * Ubuntu Netbook is released by Archos
  * Ubuntu Server Team Meeting Summary
  * Upcoming Meetings & Events
  * Updates & Security

== General Community News ==

=== Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Desktop Edition reaches end-of-life ===

Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Desktop will reach end of life on Tuesday, July 14,
2009.  At that time, Ubuntu Security Notices will no longer include
information or updated packages for the Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Desktop.  Server
Edition will continue to receive maintenance updates through June 2011.
  The supported upgrade path from Ubuntu 6.06 LTS is via Ubuntu 8.04
LTS.  Instructions and caveats for the upgrade may be found at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HardyUpgrades. For further Ubuntu
support, including commercial support options, see

=== Community Council: Nominations ===

In order to get the Community Council from four to eight members again,
we are going to have an election in a few weeks. All Ubuntu members are
eligible to vote.

I will announce the details of the election soon. What we want from you
now is nominations.

If you know somebody in the Ubuntu community, who

  * has been an Ubuntu member for a while
  * is dedicated to the project
  * is well-respected and known for balanced views and good leadership
  * has a good overview over various aspects of the project
  * is organized and has some organization talent

(or you know that this all applies to you), please send an email to
daniel.holbach at ubuntu dot com with the subject “[CC Nomination]”
until July 17th, 12:00 UTC.  If you can confirm that the person is
willing to stand for election, please do so.

=== MOTU Council ===

  * Andrea Veri rejoined the MOTU team. He plans to get back to all of
his packages and help out with the MOTU-P2P team and mentoring new
users. Launchpad: https://launchpad.net/~bluekuja Wiki:

  * Chris Coulson joined the MOTU team. He has been working with the
Ubuntu desktop team for some time now, and he plans to carry on with
packaging work, bug-fixes and helping out with debugging issues.
Launchpad: https://launchpad.net/~chrisccoulson Wiki:

=== Call for testing: KVM in Jaunty proposed ===

There is a package in jaunty-proposed[1] that needs to be pushed to
jaunty-updates before the Hardy and Intrepid backports can take place.
In order to promote the package to jaunty-updates, Dustin Kirkland need
users to verify that the new package fixes the four bugs that he thinks
it fixes, and does not cause regressions.

  1. https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kvm

  * Open (58976) +246 over last week
  * Critical (26) +1 over last week
  * Unconfirmed (27544) -28 over last week
  * Unassigned (50840) +204 over last week
  * All bugs ever reported (294270) +1346 over last week

As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started,
please see  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

=== Translation Stats Jaunty ===

  * Spanish (12849) -39 over last week
  * French (40151) +9 over last week
  * Brazilian Portuguese (50085) -1451 over last week
  * English (United Kingdom) (55813) -2727 over last week
  * Swedish (57006) +239 over last week

Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope," see
more at: https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/

=== Ubuntu Brainstorm Top 5 this week ===

  * Installer CD wastes time: http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/20577/
  * Primitive Actions, such as "Undo", in desktop environment:
  * We can't add new solutions to "in development" ideas:
  * Clarify suspend versus hibernate:
  * GNOME 3 will destroy Ubuntu: http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/20576/

Ubuntu Brainstorm is a community site geared toward letting you add your
ideas for Ubuntu. You can submit your own idea, or vote for or against
another idea. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

== LoCo News ==

=== Ubuntu LoCo Systems admin lessons: Massachusetts LoCo ===

This has been some time in coming but DoctorMo has announce that the
Ubuntu Massachusetts LoCo will be running an event every Wednesday
7pm-9pm(Local time) at the South End Technology Center with the aim to
teach budding new Ubuntu systems administrators how to best administrate
an Ubuntu Server and Desktop network. Event Link:

The lessons are free and are student driven, with teachers on hand to
guide, answer questions and start off each section. Each student is
expected to learn in their own time and pick up each section as they
pass the previous, and prior requirements are existing Ubuntu Desktop
experience and familiarity with computers. The lessons do not provide
certification or any other official qualification, but will be heavily

This will be in addition to the existing successful Learn Ubuntu Desktop
sessions we do on Tuesday evenings but aimed at students who want to go
further into the field of systems administration. Computer support and
other queries will not be dealt with and people needing Ubuntu help
should continue to come on Tuesdays.

== Launchpad News ==

=== git-imports ===

As you might have heard already, Launchpad can now import code from Git
repositories. You can then create Bazaar branches of those Git repos.

For example:

bzr branch lp:git

Thanks to Jelmer for bzr-git (https://launchpad.net/bzr-git) and Michael
& Paul for tying it into our rock-solid import system.

== Ubuntu Forums News ==

=== Tutorial of the Week ===

tinivole (http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=490875, a moderator on
the forums) has put together all the instructions to solve problems when
using NVIDIA video cards of the 8400 series and up. He is actively
supporting his tutorial and many people have given input. Debugging
steps are suggested if all does not go as per the book, as well as
reverting the changes and going back to the ubuntu supported drivers.

The tutorial, HowTo: NVIDIA 185.18 Drivers in Ubuntu, is located here:

Enjoy and see you soon!

=== Ubuntu Community Interviews ===

This week, please meet panickedthumb
(http://ubuntuforums.org/member.php?u=1132), who joined the forums in
October, 2004 and has been a moderator since November, same year. He
started with Ubuntu when the distribution did not have a name, yet, and
has never looked back. He also started and co-admins the Virginia Ubuntu
LoCo team. Travis is very fun to work with and hosts part of the forums
memory. Well done, PT!

== The Planet ==

=== The Ubuntu Museum ===

Earlier, Steve Langasek reminded us that Ubuntu 6.06 LTS (Dapper Drake)
reaches its end of support on the desktop next week (July 14, 2009). So,
it's time for a little nostalgia!

As the maintainer of Ubuntu's KVM package, Dustin Kirkland has spend
quite a bit of his time regression testing the virtualization stack
(kvm, qemu, libvirt, virt-manager, etc). In doing so, he has constructed
a massive archive of virtual machine images.

About 6 months ago, Jamie Strandboge and Dustin kicked around the idea
of creating a series of "Linux museums", honoring our heritage by
providing download-able virtual appliance images that could run under
KVM. Jamie is currently working on something like this for Debian's

Dustin is pleased to introduce his contribution...The Ubuntu Museum!
Here: http://people.ubuntu.com/%7Ekirkland/Museum/

     * screenshots (png) of each Ubuntu desktop release
     * screencasts (mpeg) of each Ubuntu boot and shutdown sequence
     * virtual machine images (bzip2, qcow2) of each retired Ubuntu
desktop release

The virtual machine images are:

     * default i386 desktop installations
     * with all packages updated to their final resting state
     * the username and password are both "ubuntu"

Obviously, these releases are completely unsupported and the images are
provided for entertainment and educational purposes only!

Since Dustin started using Ubuntu with the Breezy release, he found it
quite educational to play around with Warty and Hoary--a bit of Ubuntu
history he was missing. It was interesting to see the evolution of the
artwork and color schemes. He found some strange satisfaction hitting a
few old, memorable bugs and then thinking "boy am I glad we fixed that!"
It is also pretty cool to see how much we've improved startup and
shutdown times.

Dustin recently attended an excellent presentation by Colin Watson on
the history of the Debian and Ubuntu installers. Colin made the point
that it's important to know where we've been, when we're trying to
figure out where we're going.

Hopefully some of you will enjoy this trip down memory lane and perhaps
learn something too!

=== Karmic Wallpapers ===

Ubuntu would like to include a beautiful set of images for our users to
choose from in our next release. In order to accomplish this we have set
up a wiki page to explain things and guidelines for inclusion. In
addition we've started a flickr group to attract current flickr users
and encourage new contributors to step up and take the plunge. If you
have amazing photos which you would like to share with the world, please
add them to the list!

  * Wiki page: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/Karmic/Backgrounds
  * Guidelines: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Documentation/Backgrounds
  * flickr group: http://www.flickr.com/groups/ubuntu-artwork

== In The Press ==

=== Ubuntu's maker: Chrome OS 'no slam dunk' just because Google
announces it ===

Ubuntu's maker, Canonical Ltd., is defiant that it can maintain its edge
in the desktop Linux space despite Google Inc.'s upcoming Chrome
operating system. Google may possess brand recognition and engineering
resources that dwarf the 200-employee, reported
$30-million-yearly-revenue Canonical, but Chrome OS's ascent "is no slam
dunk just because you make an announcement," says Gerry Carr, marketing
manager for Canonical. Carr told Computerworld today that building a
user-friendly operating system is "harder than putting a new feature on
a search engine."

=== Koala will be 'a definitive shift' for Ubuntu Linux ===

Linux Format Magazine did an interview of Mark Shuttleworth in which he
answers questions about Karmic Koala and beyond. The questions are
listed below, with Mark's answers at the link.

  * Do you have big goals for the next 10 releases? You're dictator for
life – is it really life, or like the British penal system where you get
off after six years?
  * The GNU Hurd?
  * We're looking forward to Koala. You've said that 'boot will be
beautiful' – care to explain more?
  * Are you thinking of Plymouth or something else entirely?
  * One of the most talked about things so far is the retention of 'no
brown'. Are you thinking greens?
  * Presumably, you're not going back to the controversial semi-naked
people approach?
  * We talked to Steve McIntyre recently (Debian's Project Leader) and
he says he has a great relationship with the guys at Canonical. Do you
think there's more work to do to streamline the flow from upstream?
  * Elsewhere upstream, Greg Kroah-Hartman gave an interesting speech at
the Kernel Summit 2008. He said there were 100 kernel patches in the
last three years from Canonical, putting you in 79th position…

=== Ubuntu’s Jono Bacon: Open Source Code Priority Should Begin at
Security, then Quality, then Performance ===

Coverity.com recently interviewed Ubuntu Community Manager Jono Bacon.
When asked what brings thousands of contributors and hundreds of teams
together Bacon said, "Ubuntu has a solid desktop, a good server and
mobile experience and an exceptionally large community that refines,
extends and supports us." Bacon was also asked about how security and
quality have scaled as Ubuntu's size has grown. "Ubuntu takes quality
and security very seriously. On one hand, we have definitive processes
to manage security expectations including our Bug Triage best practice,
our Stable Release Update policy, our ‘proposed’ updates and more." Be
sure to check out the article for the rest of Coverity.com's interview
with Jono Bacon.

=== Windows 7 is the same as Ubuntu ===

ZDNet's Christopher Dawson titled this article "Windows 7 is the same as
Ubuntu", but says that obviously this isn't true. Their underlying
architectures are quite a bit different, Gnome looks different than the
7 UI, etc., but to an average 17-year-old, there just wasn’t any
meaningful difference between the two operating systems. Dawson's son
has been running Ubuntu 9.04 on his computer for a while, so Christopher
thought he'd install the Windows 7 release candidate to get his son's
impressions. Dawson managed to extract from his son that his favorite
feature was that he was able to use his Zune with it, which is something
that had never worked terribly well with Ubuntu. Otherwise, he said,
“Windows 7 is the same as Ubuntu; there just really isn’t anything
different about them.” Of course there isn’t. He lives in a web browser.
The underlying OS is irrelevant. For the average student the old Windows
vs. Mac vs. Linux debate may finally be dead. For someone who “hated
Linux” a year ago to now happily switch between Windows 7 and Ubuntu in
a completely transparent way certainly signals an end to that age-old
flame war.

=== Jono Bacon on the Value of Good Communities ===

James Turner of O'Reilly.com notes that Ubuntu has enjoyed fantastic
success over the past few years, becoming one of the dominant Linux
distributions, and the distribution of choice for netbooks. Jono Bacon's
job is to make sure that that success continues, by keeping the huge
Ubuntu developer community happy and productive. Turner caught up with
Jono in advance of his appearance at OSCON, the O'Reilly Open Source
Convention, and he was more than happy to talk about the efforts
underway to not only improve the Ubuntu community, but also bring
together other communities, such as Gnome and KDE, to help them work
better together. "My job is to encourage and to enable the global Ubuntu
community to do good work that's productive and that they enjoy doing

=== Smoother Transitions to Ubuntu With Virtual Machines and Wubi ===

The Linux Loop recognizes that no matter how simple you can make it,
installaing a new OS will always be a daunting task for most computer
users, especially on a machine they depend on every day. Assuming that
not everyone has that geeky neighbor who goes door to door installing
Linux on people’s computers, there has to be a better way. They feel
that while the Live CD and Live USB options are good, the best way is
through a virtual machine using VirtualBox or Wubi. Separately, these
are all good ways of trying Ubuntu out, but together as a process they
are an absolutely killer feature. "It’s less important exactly what
methods of trying Ubuntu exist than how seamless the process of testing
it out and then installing it can be made."

=== What to expect from the next version of Ubuntu ===

Tech Radar's Graham Morrison says that the great thing about Linux
distro development, when compared with OS X or Vista, is that the whole
process is transparent. You can see at any stage what the developers are
planning, and even download the latest build of your favourite
distribution. Ubuntu is no different, and the next version, out in
October, is going to be called the Karmic Koala. In a battle for
enterprise-grade computing, Ubuntu 9.10 will include Eucalyptus which is
a computing platform that enables you to dynamically scale applications
across a network of transparent computers running in the cloud on your
own hardware. One of the most popular cloud computing services is
Amazon's EC2. If you're looking for something a little more superficial,
we've also been promised a palette makeover to the desktop. Mark
Shuttleworth has been noncommittal on the complete abandonment of brown,
but it does seem likely that the standard Gnome desktop in Karma will
look significantly different.

== In The Blogosphere ==

=== Is Google Stealing Ubuntu’s Thunder? ===

Joe Panettieri of Works With U looks at the new competition along with
the old competition to Ubuntu.  Already facing Google Android and Intel
Moblin, along with the competition from Red Hat and Novell and, of
course, Windows 7 coming out in October, 2009, now Google is announcing
Chrome OS for netbooks. So far, it would appear that Dell is sticking
with Ubuntu for netbooks, notebooks and PCs.

=== Mono Now Safe? ===

Patrick Regan of Works With U, after his disclaimer of not being a
lawyer, takes on the thorny question of Mono. Microsoft’s Community
Promise only applies to implementations that fully comply with the given
specification before releasing. ASP.NET, ADO.NET, Windows.Forms, and
others are not covered under the Community Promise. In response to this,
the Mono project is going to split their code up into two different
pieces.One that is just the implementation of the two specifications
covered by today’s announcement, and another with all the uncovered
technologies.  Most of the C#/Mono projects that are included in Ubuntu
and others do not use the higher technologies that are not covered by
the Community Promise. This means that packages like Tomboy are most
likely safe from legal threats.

=== Stop piling on Mono already ===

Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, Cyber Cynic for ComputerWorld, would like
people to "get a grip".  It only makes sense to him that open-source
developers should work on projects that help with Windows/Linux
interoperability. His position is that if people feel that programs like
Tomboy and Banshee shouldn't be written with Mono, then they should
re-write the code in some other language/framework.

=== KDE 4.3 RC1 in Kubuntu 9.04 - Overview & Screenshots ===

Craciun Dan, writing for TuxArena, presents screenshots and comments on
the new KDE 4.3 RC1 as installed in Kubuntu 9.04.  He's not particularly
happy with the new look of Plasma (now called Air).  According to the
announcement[1] on the KDE official website, this release got many
Plasma improvements, several game updates, PolicyKit integration, and
several other changes or improvements.

  1. http://kde.org/announcements/announce-4.3-rc1.php

=== Ubuntu Sets Example by Defying Mono Threats ===

Christopher Tozzi, of Works With U, takes a stand with the Ubuntu
Technical Board that Ubuntu should continue making use of Mono and
Mono-developed applications like Tomboy and F-Spot.  It is his
contention that, since no legal action has been taken against
developers, distributions or end users, that we shouldn't be paniced by
just the possible threat of such action.  He also feels that Ubuntu is
leading the way by taking such a stand in favour of innovation and the
advancement of free software.

=== Dell is sticking with Ubuntu ===

Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols, Cyber Cynic for ComputerWorld, went looking
to find out whether the rumors about Dell and Desktop Linux offerings
were true.  He feels that the rumors started when people noticed that
Dell's Desktop PC offerings no longer listed Linux as an option.  After
contacting Anne Camden, a Dell spokesperson, he found that they are
transitioning to a current generation of desktop models, and that the
page should be updated soon.

=== How Chrome OS Will Help Ubuntu ===

Christopher Tozzi, of Works With U, feels that Google Chrome OS will
follow the same path that other netbook Linux offerings have taken:
that confirmed Windows users will be upset that their favorite programs
won't run on it.  However, due to Google's prominent visual position in
the world, the fact that they're offering something OTHER than a
Microsoft OS will show people that there really are other operating
systems than just Microsoft and Apple.

== In Other News ==

=== Ubuntu Podcast #30 ===

In this issue Nick and Josh discuss:
  * Huge Ubuntu French release party
  * 10 second boot times
  * Android on Ubuntu
  * New Ubuntu User magazine
  * Ubiquity changes
  * One Hundred Paper Cuts
  * Ubuntu Global Jam
  * Ubuntu Satanic edition asked to take down t-shirts
  * Ubuntu Free Culture Showcase deadline approaching
  * Archos Ubuntu netbook
  * Launchpad open sourcing date moved
  * New Ubuntu Hall of Famer: Adi Roiban

And note that they will no longer be doing audio only versions, due to
the amount of work necessary to support 5 file formats.

=== Ubuntu User Magazine ===

Ken Hess has just taken a look at Ubuntu User, the new magazine from the
same people who publish Linux Pro Magazine.  Issued 4 4times a year for
a $40 US subscription price (or $15.99 individual issue price), this
magazine focuses on Ubuntu with articles by Marcel Gagne and Jono Bacon,
a Q&A section by Ubuntu Forum guy Mike Basinger, a New Features section
and in-depth interviews.

=== Ubuntu Netbook is released by Archos ===

Archos is a french company known since 10 years for producing MP3 and
MP4 players just released a netbook which runs under your favorite OS.
It's the Archos 10 UBUNTU

Here are the technical specs of the beast :

  * 500 GB Hard disk
  * 10.2'' WXGA Screen (LED backlight)
  * Intel® ATOM™ N270 1.60 GHz Processor
  * 2 GB DDR2
  * WiFi - card reader slot (SD/MMC/MS/MS PRO) - 1.3MP webcam - 2 stereo
speakers - microphone
  * Operating System : UBUNTU 8.04 LTS
  * Extended-life battery version: extended-life up to 7 hours (with
6-cells battery)

== Meeting Summaries ==

=== Ubuntu Server Team Meeting: July 7th ===

Here are the minutes of the meeting. They can also be found online
with the irc logs here.

  * ubuntu-tips: nijaba added more rules to the server tips wiki page.
The main rules are that tips should not be any longer than 2 lines of 80
characters and they should be relevant to packages in main.

  * Merges: kirkland reminded that Debian Import Freeze was in effect
and that the goal was to get all of the outstanding merges done by
Feature Freeze on August 27. Working on merges is one great way to gain
experience in order to become a MOTU.

  * Drbd: ivoks reported that he had been working on a new package for
Ubuntu that used dkms. The package is currently available from the
Ubuntu HA PPA and is waiting to be pushed in Karmic. The Debian
maintainers have also shown interest in using a DKMS-enabled package.

  * Cluster stack: RoAkSoAx and ivoks worked on updating the cluster
stack in the ubuntu-ha team. pacemaker, openais and corosync have been
fixed and some of them are available from the Ubuntu HA PPA.

  * Php 5.3: zul and ajmitch have been looking at getting php 5.3 in
karmic. 5.3 has been uploaded to experimental to get more testing there.
The big difference with the current version in karmic (5.2) is that the
suhosin patch has not been ported to 5.3 yet. The security team doesn’t
feel comfortable with shipping php without the suhosin patch enabled.

It was decided to push 5.3 into a PPA to get wider testing from the
Ubuntu community. Once the suhosin patch is ported to 5.3 and enabled in
the build 5.3 can be uploaded to karmic.

An ubuntu-php-team should also be created to handle the maintenance of
the php PPA. There have also been some requests for backported versions
of php. A PPA and -backports are options to handle this use case.

  * Agree on next meeting date and time: Next meeting will be on
Tuesday, July 14th at 15:00 UTC in #ubuntu-meeting.

== Upcoming Meetings and Events ==

=== Sunday, July 12, 2009 ===
  * None listed as of publication

=== Monday, July 13, 2009 ===
  * None listed as of publication

=== Tuesday, July 14, 2009 ===

==== Asia Oceania Membership Board Meeting ====
  * Start: 10:00 UTC
  * End: 11:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Membership/RegionalBoards/AsiaOceania

==== Technical Board Meeting ====
  * Start: 14:00 UTC
  * End: 15:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: None listed as of publication

==== Server Team Meeting ====
  * Start: 15:00 UTC
  * End: 16:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting

==== Desktop Team Meeting ====
  * Start: 16:30 UTC
  * End: 17:30 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-desktop
  * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting

==== Kernel Team Meeting ====
  * Start: 17:00 UTC
  * End: 18:00 UTC
  * Location:  IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

==== Ubuntu Beginners Team Meeting ====
  * Start: 23:00 UTC
  * End: 24:00 UTC
  * Location:  IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BeginnersTeam/Meetings

=== Wednesday, July 15, 2009 ===

==== Ubuntu Learning Team Meeting ====
  * Start: 13:00 UTC
  * End: 14:00 UTC
  * Location:  IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Learning/Agenda

==== Foundation Team Meeting ====
  * Start: 16:00 UTC
  * End: 17:00 UTC
  * Location:  IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda:  None listed as of publication

==== QA Team Meeting ====
  * Start: 17:00 UTC
  * End: 18:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Meetings/

==== Ubuntu-ie LoCo IRC Meeting ====
  * Start: 20:00 UTC
  * End: 21:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-ie
  * Agenda: None listed as of publicaation

==== Ubuntu-us-pa LoCo Team Meeting ====
  * Start: 20:30 EDT
  * End: 21:30 EDT
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-us-pa
  * Agenda: None as of publication

=== Thursday, July 16, 2009 ===

==== Ubuntu Java Meeting ====
  * Start: 14:00 UTC
  * End: 15:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda:  None listed as of publication

==== Ubuntu Translations Meeting ====
  * Start: 15:00 UTC
  * End: 16:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TranslatingUbuntu/Events/Meetings.

==== Global Jam Meeting ====
  * Start: 18:00 UTC
  * End: 19:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: None listed as of publication

==== Packaging Training: Mono packaging: quick, easy, and awesome
(directhex) ====
  * Start: 18:00 UTC
  * End: 19:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-classroom
  * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Packaging/Training

==== Ubuntu Mobile Team Meeting ====
  * Start: 21:00 UTC
  * End: 22:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: None listed as of publication

=== Friday, July 17, 2009 ===

==== Karmic Weekly Release Meeting ====
  * Start: 15:00 UTC
  * End: 16:30 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam/Meeting/2009-07-17

=== Saturday, July 18, 2009 ===
  * None listed as of publication

== Updates and Security for 6.06, 8.04, 8.10 and 9.04 ==

=== Security Updates ===

  * USN-796-1: Pidgin vulnerability - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-796-1
  * USN-797-1: tiff vulnerability - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-797-1

=== Ubuntu 6.06 Updates ===

  * None Reported

=== Ubuntu 8.04 Updates ===

  * linux 2.6.24-24.56 -
  * debian-installer 20070308ubuntu40.10 -
  * debian-installer 20070308ubuntu40.10 -
  * open-iscsi 2.0.865-1ubuntu3.3 -
  * debian-installer 20070308ubuntu40.11 -

=== Ubuntu 8.10 Updates ===

  * acroread 9.1.2-3intrepid1 -
  * linux 2.6.27-14.36 -

=== Ubuntu 9.04 Updates ===

  * acroread 9.1.2-3jaunty1 -
  * app-install-data-ubuntu -
  * kvm 1:84+dfsg-0ubuntu12.3 -
  * gourmet 0.14.5-2ubuntu1.1 -
  * farsight 0.1.28-2build1 -
  * netbook-launcher 1.6.20-0ubuntu2.1 -
  * samba 2:3.3.2-1ubuntu3.1 -
  * linux 2.6.28-14.46 -
  * linux-backports-modules-2.6.28 2.6.28-14.15 -
  * linux-restricted-modules 2.6.28-14.18 -

== UWN #: A sneak peek ==

== Archives and RSS Feed ==

You can subscribe to the Ubuntu Weekly News via RSS at:

== Additional Ubuntu News ==

== Conclusion ==

== Credits ==

The Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter is brought to you by:

  * John Crawford
  * Craig A. Eddy
  * Dave Bush
  * Nathan Handler
  * Liraz Siri
  * And many others

== Glossary of Terms ==

  1. HA - High Availability.
  1. KVM - Kernel based Virtual Machine.
  1. LTS - Long Term Support. - Said of a release that will receive
support for 3-years/5-years rather than the typical 18 months.
  1. MOTU - Master Of The Universe - Developers responsible for the
Universe and Multiverse repositories. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU
  1. OSCON - The O'Reilly Open Source Convention.
  1. PPA - Personal Package Archive - http://help.launchpad.net/PPA

Other acronyms can be found at

== Ubuntu - Get Involved ==

The Ubuntu community consists of individuals and teams, working on
different aspects of the distribution, giving advice and technical
support, and helping to promote Ubuntu to a wider audience. No
contribution is too small, and anyone can help. It's your chance to get
in on all the community fun associated with developing and promoting
Ubuntu. http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate

== Feedback ==

This document is maintained by the Ubuntu Weekly News Team. If you have
a story idea or suggestions for the Weekly Newsletter, join the Ubuntu
News Team mailing list at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-news-team and submit
it. Ideas can also be added to the wiki at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Ideas. If you'd like to
contribute to a future issue of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, please
feel free to edit the appropriate wiki page. If you have any technical
support questions, please send them to ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com.

Except where otherwise noted, content in this issue is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License BY SA