No subject

Fri Dec 18 02:33:18 GMT 2009

partnerships and customers. Those are the areas that I enjoy most and also
the areas where I can best shape the impact we have on open source and the
technology market. I'm able to do this because Jane Silber, who has been CO=
at Canonical virtually from the beginning, will take on the job of CEO.

Since Jane joined the company, she and I have shared the load of
coordinating between the leaders of all the key teams that make up
Canonical. We've been through various permutations as new initiatives neede=
different kinds of attention; Jane currently leads the Ubuntu One effort,
for example.

I've become very passionate about design and quality, and want to spend mor=
time figuring out how we harness the collaborative process to build better,
more insightful products. I can't think of a more interesting challenge, an=
luckily I couldn't think of a better person to take over my formal
management and leadership responsibilities at Canonical than Jane. We've
worked together long enough, and closely enough, that I can be confident of
continuity in the pieces I most care about and also excited about the ways
in which I think Jane will raise the bar for the senior team. As a former V=
at General Dynamics, Jane has more experience of large customers and large
organizational leadership, which I see as essential for Canonical over the
next five years. We are being welcomed as a partner and supplier to
ever-larger businesses, and I want to make sure we are a robust answer to
their needs.

Many folks in the community will know Jane from Ubuntu Developer Summits,
and of course she's well established as a leader at Canonical. In order to
focus on the new role, we'll be hiring for a COO and a new lead for Ubuntu
One (both positions will be advertised publicly as well as within
Canonical). There's no rush, so we plan to coordinate things carefully and =
expect I'll be focused on my new role by March.

=3D=3D=3D Lucid Community Team Plans =3D=3D=3D

Jono Bacon and his horsemen are planning some major community actions for
Lucid. They have put together a strategy to help guide and improve some of
the community teams for the Lucid cycle. While Jono's team doesn't encompas=
all the strategic blueprints for Lucid it is a fitting start to the cycle.
Blueprints of the different areas that have been highlighted by the team
include:

 * Upstreams
 * Developers
 * Governance Support
 * Translations
 * LoCo Teams
 * Governance Changes
 * Regular Cycle Activities
 * Infrastructure

You can see more detailed information at the link below concerning each of
the above listed areas marked for improvement during the Lucid cycle.

http://www.jonobacon.org/2009/12/17/lucid-community-team-plans/

=3D=3D=3D Michal Zajac (quintasan) Interview =3D=3D=3D

Michal is 16 years old and lives in Lubin, Poland. He has been using Linux
for about 3 years, and has gone from Ubuntu to Kubuntu to Gentoo and now
back to Kubuntu. Michal first got involved with MOTU by translating, but
quickly moved on to more serious contributions. You can also find Michal
contributing in the #ubuntu-pl IRC channel helping out the Polish LoCo team=
.
For Lucid, he plans to keep working with the Kubuntu Ninjas to help bring
everyone a new KDE SC releases. In his spare time, Michal loves to
skateboard, learn Japanese, and he has recently started learning C++.

http://fridge.ubuntu.com/node/1958

=3D=3D=3D Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter Notification =3D=3D=3D

Todays issue of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter will be the last edition for
this year. It has been our pleasure to bring you all the news about Ubuntu
in 2009, and we look forward to bringing you our first issue of 2010 which
will be published on January 3rd, 2010. Our best wishes of peace and
happiness to you and yours from "The News Team" See you in 2010!!!

=3D=3D Ubuntu Stats =3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D Bug Stats =3D=3D=3D

    * Open (76434) -20 # over last week
    * Critical (41) +/-0 # over last week
    * Unconfirmed (39706) +95 # over last week
    * Unassigned (67009) -20 # over last week
    * All bugs ever reported (#)  +/- # over last week UNREPORTED(Launchpad
code push)

As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started, pleas=
see  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

=3D=3D=3D Translation Stats Karmic =3D=3D=3D

 1. Spanish (12287) -16 over last week
 2. Brazilian Portuguese (45538) +/-0 over last week
 3. French (45786) -52 over last week
 4. Swedish (66615) +/-0 over last week
 5. English (United Kingdom) (71870) -6 over last week

Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala", see more at:
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/

=3D=3D=3D Ubuntu Brainstorm Top 5 this week =3D=3D=3D

 * Get more developers reading Brainstorm!
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/23040/
 * Speeding up suspend 2 disk  http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22976/
 * Different login sound for system AM/PM "Audio candy"
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/23034/
 * openning a new tabs is mach faster and intuative if you see a little '+'
button  http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22960/
 * Auto-generated Ubuntu Laptop compatibility DB
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22971/

Ubuntu Brainstorm is a community site geared toward letting you add your
ideas for Ubuntu. You can submit your own idea, or vote for or against
another idea. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

=3D=3D LoCo News =3D=3D

=3D=3D=3D New update for the Ubuntu Israeli website =3D=3D=3D

The ubuntu-il LoCo has decided to do a makeover of their LoCo website. They
plan to use more content from the ubuntu.com webpage to help the team
promote Ubuntu on a more consistent basis. Since they use RTL language, the=
can't just do a copy and paste, so rebuilding all the pages will take some
time. In the end they will have a complete remake with everything in Hebrew=
,
and possible some site availability for the blind. Sounds like an ambitious
undertaking that the Ubuntu community can look forward to seeing.

http://ddorda.useopensource.net/soon-at-ubutnu-il-loco-site

=3D=3D=3D Ubuntu Catalan: What a LoCo November =3D=3D=3D

 * November 1st: LoCo meeting. Redistribute Barcelona people car wiki for
travel to the release party in Lleida. Decide to make a professional poster
paid by two LoCo members.
 * November 2nd: first Ubuntu Hour in Barcelona.
 * November 7th: release party Kastanyada K=E0rmica.
 * November 16th: three-member meeting for distribution of T-shirts and CDs=
.
 * November 16th: LoCo meeting. Decided when to choose the placement for