Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #155

John Crawford johnc4510 at ubuntu.com
Mon Aug 17 00:25:56 BST 2009

Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue #155 for the week August
9th - August 15th, 2009. In this issue we cover: Karmic Alpha 4
released, New Ubuntu Members, Developer News, Reporting Ubuntu Community
Problems: Jono Bacon, Ubuntu US Teams, UbuCon Atlanta 2009, Brazilian
Council & New Brazilian Ubuntu Members, Zim & the art of wiki
development, Ubuntu Server Tips - Help Wanted, Ubuntu Community Learning
Project, Ubuntu Podcast #32, and much, much more!

== UWN Translations ==

  * Note to translators and our readers: We are trying a new way of
linking to our translations pages. Please follow the link below for the
information you need.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Translations

== In This Issue ==

  * Karmic Alpha 4 released
  * New Ubuntu Members
  * Developer News
  * Reporting Ubuntu Community Problems: Jono Bacon
  * Ubuntu Stats
  * Ubuntu US Teams
  * UbuCon Atlanta 2009
  * Brazilian Council & New Brazilian Ubuntu Members
  * Zim & the art of wiki development
  * Ubuntu Server Tips - Help Wanted
  * Ubuntu Community Learning Project
  * In the Press & Blogosphere
  * Ubuntu Podcast #32
  * Upcoming Meetings & Events
  * Updates & Security

== General Community News ==

=== Karmic Alpha 4 released ===

Welcome to Karmic Koala Alpha 4, which will in time become Ubuntu 9.10.
Pre-releases of Karmic are *not* encouraged for anyone needing a stable
system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional, even
frequent breakage. They are, however, recommended for Ubuntu developers
and those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs.

Alpha 4 is the fourth in a series of milestone CD images that will be
released throughout the Karmic development cycle.  The Alpha images are
known to be reasonably free of showstopper CD build or installer bugs,
while representing a very recent snapshot of Karmic. You can download it
here:

  * Ubuntu: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/karmic/alpha-4/
  * Ubuntu Server UEC: http://uec-images.ubuntu.com/releases/karmic/alpha-4/
  * Kubuntu: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/karmic/alpha-4/
  * Xubuntu: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/karmic/alpha-4/
  * Ubuntu Studio:
http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/karmic/alpha-4
  * Mythbuntu: http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/mythbuntu/releases/karmic/alpha-4/

Alpha 4 also includes a number of software updates that are ready for
large-scale testing.  Please refer to
http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/karmic/alpha4 for information on changes
in Ubuntu.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2009-August/000603.html

=== New Ubuntu Members: Americas Membership Board ===

The following new Ubuntu Members were approved at the August 12th
Americas Membership Board meeting:

Carlos Donizete Froes: Carlos is one of the main administrators of the
Ubuntu Games project (www.ubuntugames.org) and also an active member of
the Brazil LoCo Team. Part of his work with Ubuntu Games was developing
the IUG (Installer Ubuntu Games) which makes it very easy for users to
install a multitude of games available for Ubuntu. He plans to begin the
process of getting the games from Ubuntu Games into the official Ubuntu
repositories. Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Coringao Launchpad:
https://launchpad.net/~coringao

Cody Russell: Cody is a Canonical employee working on the Desktop
Experience Team where he has worked on notify-osd and also xsplash, the
new X-based boot splash. In addition to his work directly with
Canonical, Cody has been a long time contributor to GNOME and gtk+.
Especially note-worthy is his contribution to fix a 7 year old gtk bug;
GNOME bug 56070. Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CodyRussell Launchpad:
https://launchpad.net/~bratsche

Marc Tardif: Marc is one of the hard working individuals that spends
much of his time testing Ubuntu releases. Specifically Marc has been
instrumental in developing Checkbox which is an automated testing
platform. He is also an active member in the Montreal Ubuntu Community
team helping plan 300+ person release parties and other great events.
Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarcTardif Launchpad:
https://launchpad.net/~cr3

Ursula Junque: Ursula is another Canonical employee who puts in an
amazing amount of
work in the wider Ubuntu community outside of her normal working hours.
Much of her work revolves around the Brazilian Community team where she
helps maintain the Brazilian translation wiki. She is also active in
supporting the Brazilian team's event planning including giving
presentations about Launchpad and how to use it to make Ubuntu better.
Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UrsulaJunque Launchpad:
https://launchpad.net/~ursinha

Please join the Americas Board in welcoming these great new Ubuntu Members!

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-news-team/2009-August/000666.html

=== Developer News ===

  * We are very happy to have Julien Lavergne (gilir) join the MOTU
team. His great work in Ubuntu and great passion for collaborating with
Debian made the decision very easy.
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel/2009-August/028721.html
  * Yulia Novozhilova was recommended for upload privileges for
`netbeans` (and related packages). We're very happy to have somebody new
being very active with Java-related packages!
  * Andy Whitcroft was recommended for upload privileges for the Kernel.
His great work clearly spoke for himself.

=== Reporting Ubuntu Community Problems: Jono Bacon ===

Jono has been busy lately on how we report problems and issues in the
Ubuntu Community. He has been talking with many people inside the Ubuntu
community, at the Community Leadership Summit, and with our Community
Council and Technical Board about how to flesh out a better, more
effective, and more visible process.

While it is a work in progress, the idea is simple: we want to have a
place in which our community can report a problem with a community
processes or infrastructure and ensure the relevant group or governance
body can be assigned to tend to the issue, discuss it as part of their
regular meetings and otherwise have it on their radar. The way this will
work is that problems are reported as bugs in the ubuntu-community
project and preferably assigned directly to the right group, otherwise,
other people can assign the bug to the right group. What is important
here is that we clearly define what kind of problems should be assigned
where. We will then work with our governance bodies to ensure that as
part of their work they review these bugs and help to resolve them. Jono
would like to encourage our governance bodies to build these bugs into
their work.

The process would look like this:

Step 1: Chose the right place to report the problem

We first need to ensure the right team in the Ubuntu project know about
your problem:

  * If your problem relates to general community governance or the
Community Council then note down communitycouncil
  * If your problem relates to technical policies or the Technical Board
then note down techboard
  * For all other issues you don’t need to note anything down.

Make a note of the team name, we will use in just a moment

Step 2: Report the problem

You can now provide us with some details of the problem. This involves
three simple steps:

  * Middle click (or press both mouse buttons together) on this link.
  * You will be first asked for a Summary. Here type in a short and
descriptive single-line summary of the problem.
  * You are next asked if your problem already exists in the system and
a list of possible existing problems will be shown. You can click the
arrows to show more details about each problem.
   * If one of the problems describes your problem, click the Yes this
is the bug I’m trying to report button.
   * If the problem you are reporting is not in the system click the No,
I need to report a new bug button.
  * On next page do the following:
   * Type in some details about the problem in the Further Information
box. Try to be as detailed in your description as possible.
   * Click the Extra Options link and in the Assign to box write in the
team name you wrote down above. If you didn’t write down a team, or you
don’t know it, don’t worry, just leave this box blank.
   * Finally click the Submit bug report button.

When your problem has been filed, you will receive an email with a link
to the problem in Launchpad, and you can view that link to see the
latest details about the problem.

Jono has documented this process here and also created two other
documents which will help us improve it:

  * Best Practice - much of what I am hoping we can achieve is building
best practice around how we handle reported community problems. As an
example, in some cases we will want to develop a spec or solution out of
problems to help move it forward. Note down areas of best practice on
this page. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReportingCommunityProblems/BestPractice
  * Feedback - opinions and ideas on the process and what does and does
not work can be added on this page.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReportingCommunityProblems/Feedback

Jono would like to review this process at UDS to see how well it works.

http://www.jonobacon.org/2009/08/12/reporting-ubuntu-community-problems/

  * Open (60697) +609 over last week
  * Critical (28) +1 over last week
  * Unconfirmed (28316) +350 over last week
  * Unassigned (52346) +558 over last week
  * All bugs ever reported (303196) +1977 over last week

As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started,
please see  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

=== Translation Stats Jaunty ===

  * Spanish (12430) -40 over last week
  * French (39502) -70 over last week
  * Brazilian Portuguese (48553) -30 over last week
  * Swedish (53810) -4 over last week
  * English (United Kingdom) (53861) -1868 over last week

Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 9.04 "Jaunty Jackalope," see
more at: https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/jaunty/

=== Translation Stats Karmic ===

  * Spanish (21042) -1178 over last week
  * French (58483) +575 over last week
  * Swedish (68157) -80 over last week
  * Brazilian Portuguese (72112) +176 over last week
  * English (Uk) (80569) -898 over last week

Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala", see more
at: https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/karmic/

=== Ubuntu Brainstorm Top 5 this week ===

  * Every time you need to right click on desktop and click on clean up
by name - http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/21057/
  * Most keyboards ship with Windows keys -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/21004/
  * Ubuntu torrents should have web seeds -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/20985/
  * Enable File Roller to use all encryption methods supported by 7z -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/21047/
  * User desktops are often a mess -
http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/21015/

Ubuntu Brainstorm is a community site geared toward letting you add your
ideas for Ubuntu. You can submit your own idea, or vote for or against
another idea. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

== LoCo News ==

=== Ubuntu US Teams ===

Pleia2 has been working with the US Teams project.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/USTeams This is the mentoring team for all the
the US teams and this year they reorganized the project and elected a
new board and mentors. Liz has been working with Dan Trevino to launch
the new US Teams Planet http://planet.ubuntu-us.org/ for aggregating the
news feeds for teams in the US (it’s been a great way to see what other
teams are up to!). John Crawford also helped to launch a new version of
our website. http://ubuntu-us.org/ Pliea2, Dan Trevino, and John
Crawford are the board members for the reorganized US Teams Project.

The latest team news? We’re now publishing articles on our new website!
There is a lot of LoCo documentation out there, but it can sometimes be
tricky to find really useful stuff. Having identified the vital
resources, our articles have the following purpose:

  * Identify the documentation that we reference most for US Teams,
write short articles highlighting where to find this documentation so it
puts it on the radar of more people, and contributing back to the main
documentation as we can
  * Come up with new ideas, write articles about it, contribute back to
the main documentation
  * US News – approvals, sharing successful new ideas
  * US-specific tips about running a LoCo in this country

The next US Team meeting is scheduled for August 26th 2009 – 10pm EDT,
9pm CDT, 8pm MDT, 7pm PDT in #ubuntu-us – join us then to discuss the
project, or drop by #ubuntu-us any time to get help with your US-based
LoCo, share experiences, request a mentor or just shoot the breeze with
other folks in the US who participate in LoCo teams.

http://princessleia.com/journal/?p=1806

=== UbuCon Atlanta 2009 ===

The first UbuCon Atlanta (Ubuntu conference) will take place during the
Atlanta Linux Fest. This is a chance to bring together the Ubuntu
community for a day of all things Ubuntu. We are calling all LoCo teams
and ubuntu community members to come together and share your knowledge
and excitement for forwarding the Ubuntu project.

  * Note what you would be interested in talking about under the BoF
sessions. Post the topic with the lead of UbuCon - Topic.
http://atlantalinuxfest.org/node/add/suggested-bof

Ready for Ubuntu 9.10? - Want to know if your hardware will work with
the upcoming release of Karmic Koala, Ubuntu 9.10? Members of the Ubuntu
kernel team will be on hand with custom built USB sticks that will boot
and run a test suite. This will not touch the hard disk and will let
users know what of the new kernel/hardware features will work on their
machine. Bring your machine and help improve Ubuntu 9.10!

Live Hack Session - Interested in learning how to hack drivers? The
Ubuntu kernel team will be running a live hack session to show you how!
Using a USB dongle that is a thermometer and a "shell" driver, users
will walked through writing the drivers, compiling it, and running it.

http://atlantalinuxfest.org/ubuconatlanta2009

=== Brazilian Council and new Brazilian Ubuntu Members ===

Recent changes in the previous Ubuntu Brazilian Council, through an
election that had three chosen candidates:

  * André Gondim: http://launchpad.net/~andregondim
  * Fábio Nogueira: http://launchpad.net/~deb-user-ba
  * Laudeci Oliveira – Pretto: http://launchpad.net/~laudeci

Fábio Nogueira was re-elected to the post.

In this process, every candidate listed his plans if elected, and the
election consisted of three phases. In each phase, Brazilian official
members voted, selecting one Council member per round. The first elected
was André Gondim, followed by Fábio Ogueira and then Laudeci Oliveira.
Very soon the council intends to publish their ideas and what’s next to
come.

New Members

The Brazilian Community is happy to announce its two newest Ubuntu Members:

  * Carlos “Coringão” Donizete: https://edge.launchpad.net/~coringao
  * Ursula Junque, a.k.a. Ursinha: https://edge.launchpad.net/~ursinha

Coringao is the owner of Ubuntu Games, he’s very active and helpful in
Ubuntu Games and development of IUG (Instalador do Ubuntu Games).

Ursinha is an active member, helping with community support and the
maintenance of Translations’s wiki. She is really helpful with new users
at #ubuntu-br.

The Brazilian Council is proud of you both.

http://en.andregondim.eti.br/?p=111

== Launchpad News ==

=== Zim and the art of wiki development ===

Zim is a desktop wiki that uses both Launchpad and Bazaar. Matthew
Revell asked Jaap Karssenberg, its founder and main developer, about the
project.

Matthew: How does Zim compare with something like Tomboy?

Jaap: I really don’t know as I never used Tomboy for an extensive amount
of time — it wasn’t around yet when I first started with Zim. From
interface design I get the feeling Tomboy is designed as a replacement
for sticky notes while Zim was designed as a replacement for an
outliner. I think Zim is more tailored towards structuring notes. But
Tomboy is moving fast as it has seemingly more developers and of course
it gets traction from being included in Gnome.

Matthew: Do you think desktop wikis will eventually take over from
larger applications, such as OpenOffice.org Writer, now that we’re
increasingly producing documents for distribution online rather than via
paper?

Jaap: I don’t think so, both serve different purposes. Wikis are very
useful for storing information and building a knowledge base. Websites
to some point have the same use cases, so a program like Zim can be used
to build a website (in fact the Zim website itself is maintained in
Zim). Office applications on the other hand are used when the focus is
on layout and presentation of the data (e.g. writer and presenter) or do
specialized calculations (e.g. calc). In my own workflow, I use Zim to
collect notes about all my ongoing projects and this changes from day to
day. When I need to produce a document these notes are the raw material,
but I use an office application to produce a polished document. When
such a document is finished it is published and does not change anymore.

Matthew: One of the great advantages of web-based wikis is
collaboration. Does Zim have any features to enable collaboration?

Jaap: Zim has plugins to use version control like Bazaar or Subversion
on the wiki data. My take on collaboration is that it can be done for a
wiki the same way it can be done for code. Obviously you would need some
better graphical interfaces for non-programmers to use it, but why not.
This features doubles as backup mechanism and as synchronization. I
especially like Bazaar for this due to it’s decentralized nature which
fits a document concept real well.

Matthew: Are you looking for contributors?

Jaap: Always. Now it is just me on two nights a week and one or two
irregular patch submitters. But we do have a lot of translators
contributing already and
someone working on windows packages, which is very good. Still I feel
the project is to much driven by a single developer.

Matthew: Why did you choose Launchpad and Bazaar?

Jaap: Bazaar was a logical choice as I was an avid Arch user before
subversion and other modern version control systems arrived on the scene.

In the past I hosted projects on Sourceforge because I didn’t have my
own hosting and needed centralized CVS etc. After some frustration I
moved to Gnu Arch for version control and started hosting myself. But I
started using Launchpad to allow translators to contribute and gradually
discovered more useful features. I still have my own hosting contract
for the website and put the bazaar branches there, but Launchpad is
useful for contributors of other branches, translations and the bug
tracker. Also running the mailing list there since my hosting provider
doesn’t offer one. In short it spares me the work of setting up and
maintaining those services myself.

http://blog.launchpad.net/projects/zim-and-the-art-of-wiki-development

== The Planet ==

=== Dave Walker: Ubuntu Server Tips - Help wanted ===

Something the Ubuntu Server Team has been working on is getting some
useful little tips into the Ubuntu Server. We all have little gems that
we use, making daily server administration easier. This is your chance
to help, and share your wisdom with everyone else.

A tip can be something like: “Ubuntu Server Tip: Browse the command line
history with ctrl-r and then type a few characters that you know are
part of the command you are looking for.”

The current roadmap suggests a tip like the above will be displayed
after login, via motd (message of the day).

How can you help? Currently there is a shortage of tips, and
translations of these into other languages. They think they can easily
get in excess of 500 soon.

So if you have a little gem of wisdom that is reasonably short, raise a
bug and include a short description as a title, and include the tip as
the main description. If it is accepted, it will be included.
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu-server-tips/+filebug

Translations are another big part of this project, it’s only fair that
people see these nuggets in their native language – so if you are
capable, we would really appreciate help translating into different
languages. Launchpad makes this area very easy to contribute to.
https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu-server-tips

Once they have a few more tips, Dave will throw out a call for testing.

http://blog.daviey.com/blogroll/needubuntu-server-tips.html

=== Pleia2: Ubuntu Community Learning Project ===

Over the past several months the team has been working through licensing
choices, Moodle deployment (theme still to be completed), governing and
user infrastructure. They’ve begun working with teams within the
community and have met with the Canonical Training folks to discuss
materials and overlap of services.

Now, they need you! Martin Owens has also posted about it[1], so if
you’re interested and haven’t yet, have a peek at that post as well as
he outlines some of the skills we need. Essentially, we need brains!
[1]: http://doctormo.wordpress.com/2009/08/11/ubuntu-learning-organised/

Your expertise in your given area of Ubuntu, as mentioned on our wiki
page we have 5 categories:

  * How to Use Ubuntu: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Learning/UbuntuDesktopTopics
  * How to Maintain Ubuntu:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Learning/SystemAdminTopics
  * How to Develop Ubuntu: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Learning/DeveloperTopics
  * How to Spread Ubuntu: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Learning/AdvocateTopics
  * How to Teach Ubuntu: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Learning/TeachingTopics

For more information on this topic, see their wiki page:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Learning or visit the link below.

http://princessleia.com/journal/?p=1806

== In The Press ==

=== Open Source Television ===

Mike Riley of Dr. Dobb's recognizes that technologists and consumers
alike have been waiting years for "the ultimate media convergence
appliance". Numerous attempts have strived to attain this coveted dream
device but none have yet captured the gold medal. This myopic view of
customers has given open media device vendor Neuros an entry into this
race. The Neuros LINK is essentially a quiet x86 PC running Ubuntu Linux
with an ATI graphics card delivering video via VGA, DVI, and HDMI
output. To help sprout the Neuros LINK to a tech-savvy media convergence
seeker, Neuros has seeded the developer community with a special "gamma
edition" of the Neuros LINK. The gamma currently arrives pre-installed
with Ubuntu 8.10, although Neuros plans to upgrade to version 9.04 in
the commercial version. The Neuros distribution is preloaded with all
the audio/video codecs necessary to view the various popular media
formats, ranging from AVI, FLV, MP3, MP4, OGV and others that the
installed MPlayer, VLC and Xine open source video players support. Check
out the Neuros LINK Wiki for a more comprehensive list of the LINK's
technical specifications. http://www.ddj.com/linux-open-source/219100482

=== Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" Alpha 4 Released ===

Phoronix's Michael Larabel reports that right on schedule, Canonical's
Steve Langasek has announced the release of Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 4. This
fourth development release of the Karmic Koala brings more updated
packages (including a kernel based upon Linux 2.6.31-rc5), Ubuntu One
file sharing support, and some other new features. Ubuntu 9.10 Alpha 4
is also the first build to have Kubuntu Netbook Remix support for KDE
4.3 and Ubuntu UEC. Ubuntu UEC is for the Ubuntu Enterprise Cloud with
support for Amazon's EC2 service. The release announcement with 9.10
Alpha 4 download links for Ubuntu, Ubuntu Server UEC, Kubuntu, Xubuntu,
Ubuntu Studio, and Mythbuntu can be found on ubuntu-devel-announce. More
information surrounding this release is also available from the Ubuntu
Testing page. The next release in the Ubuntu 9.10 series is Alpha 5,
which is penciled in for a release on the 3rd of September. The final
release of Ubuntu 9.10 "Karmic Koala" will come on the 29th of October.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NzQ1Mg

=== Technical School changes to Ubuntu and saves Millions ===

PMA Box tells us that the Icelandic National TV channel RUV broadcasted
a news story yesterday 11 August 2009 entitled "Nýtt kerfi sparar
milljónir", which translates to "New system saves millions." A technical
school located in the North of Iceland "Akureyri" saves 5 million Kronas
by changing the operating system of the school computers to open source
Ubuntu. They also point the fact that it was an easy change without any
need of extra hardware or additional costs. Also, they urge other public
institutions to follow the example and save money in license fees in
this time of world crisis.
http://www.pmabox.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=26:technical-school-changes-to-ubuntu-and-saves-milli

== In The Blogosphere ==

=== Dell’s Ubuntu Strategy: Restoring My Faith ===

Joe Panettieri, writing for Works With U, is feeling better about Dell's
strategy concerning Ubuntu.  Though Dell hasn't yet addressed the
question of whether or not they will offer a desktop machine with
Ubuntu, it has released the information that it will be offering Ubuntu
on the new SmartBooks.  Also, it will upgrade to the latest release of
Ubuntu on the netbooks.  More information is available at:
http://www.workswithu.com/2009/08/13/dells-ubuntu-strategy-regaining-my-faith/

=== Kubuntu Netbook Release Coming ===

J.A. Watson, writing in his blog attached to ZDNET-UK, is excited about
the news that there will be a Kubuntu 9.04 netbook release.  He's tried
the Ubuntu Netbook Remix, and feels that it lacks something.  Also the
regular release relies on functionality that the netbooks lack.  He has
hopes that, as the Kubuntu netbook release is finished up, it will be
more a case of adjusting the distribution to the architecture rather
than the major changes that are done with the Ubuntu Netbook Remix.  See
his comments at:
http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10013420o-2000498448b,00.htm

=== System76 Refreshes, Expands Ubuntu Netbook and Desktop Lineup ===

Joe Panettieri, writing for Works With U, notes that System76 is adding
2 Gig of memory to their Starling Netbooks, as well as adding Ubuntu to
the System76 nVidia Meerkat Ion and Leopard Extreme Intel i7 Desktops.
On the down side, Dell still hasn't come out with information on an
Ubuntu desktop, and US Big Box retailers are moving away from Linux
netbooks.  His report is at:
http://www.workswithu.com/2009/08/11/system76-refreshes-expands-ubuntu-netbook-and-desktop-lineup/

=== An Early Look at Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala - Overview & Screenshots ===

Craciun Dan at Tuxarena provides us with a first look at Karmic Koala,
with screenshots.  Ubuntu 9.10 comes with the Ubuntu One application for
syncing and sharing information, Empathy replacing Pidgin, ext4
filesystem as the default and Grub2 as the new boot manager.  His whole
write up is available at:
http://tuxarena.blogspot.com/2009/08/early-look-at-ubuntu-910-karmic-koala.html

=== Free Book Review: Ubuntu Pocket Guide and Reference ===

Craciun Dan at Tuxarena gives a brief overview of the Ubuntu Pocket
Guide and Reference written by Keir Thomas.  His section by section look
at what's in the book demonstrates that it is a good, general, overview
of Ubuntu and some of it's capabilities.  The book is available as a
free PDF download from http://www.ubuntupocketguide.com/index_main.html
or as a print edition from Amazon.com for USD 11,99.  See his site for
details:
http://tuxarena.blogspot.com/2009/08/free-book-review-ubuntu-pocket-guide.html

=== Ubuntu Coming to Amahi Home Server? ===

Joe Panettieri, writing for Works With U, notes that Amahi is working on
a home server drop-in for Ubuntu.  Right now, it's being developed on
Ubuntu 9.04, and is still in its early stages.  From the Amahi wiki: “We
just started porting Amahi to Ubuntu. The support is highly
experimental. There are a few important things to be fixed before you
can run it with minimal tweaking. Please don’t try it on a production
server yet."  His report is available at:
http://www.workswithu.com/2009/08/12/ubuntu-coming-to-amahi-home-server/

=== Ubuntu Support for Non-Geeks ===

Although this has been touched on, before, Christopher Tozzi of Works
With U does a good job of explaining the what and why of the entry-level
“Starter Desktop” support package.  Though it seems rather light for
someone with a little experience in dealing with Ubuntu, it may be just
what is needed for those migrating from Windows or Mac OS X.  This
report goes into more detail at:
http://www.workswithu.com/2009/08/10/ubuntu-support-for-non-geeks/

=== ZaReason Launches Ubuntu Linux Netbook ===

Joe Panettieri, writing for Works With U, informs us that ZaReason is
launching an Ubuntu Linux netbook called the Terra A20.  CTO Earl
Malmrose has said that, “Since ZaReason isn’t beholden to operating
system vendors that place artificial restrictions on system specs, we’ve
loaded the Terra up with lots of great features.”  Along with Dell and
System76, this looks like an area on which to keep watch.  His article
is at:
http://www.workswithu.com/2009/08/12/zareason-launches-ubuntu-linux-netbook/

== In Other News ==

=== Ubuntu Podcast #32 ===

In this Ubuntu Podcast, Nick and Josh discuss:

  * changing default irc channels in irc clients
  * Canonical Desktop Services
  * Xubuntu discussing what to do with new GDM
  * musician switched over to Ubuntu Studio from Macs
  * Microsoft mentions Canonical and Red Hat in its 10K SEC filings
  * first Launchpad community meetup
  * 100 Hundred papercuts round 3 and round 4
  * Debian is going to a fixed freeze schedule
  * SpreadUbuntu keeps moving along
  * Landscape System Management Tool Adds Dedicated Server
  * UbuCon @ Atlanta Linux Fest 2009

http://ubuntupodcast.net/2009/08/14/ubuntu-podcast-episode-32/

== Upcoming Meetings and Events ==

=== Monday, August 17, 2009 ===

  * None listed as on publication

=== Tuesday, August 18, 2009 ===

==== Ubuntu Learning Team Meeting ====

  * Start: 00:00 UTC
  * End: 01:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Learning/Agenda

==== Community Council Meeting ====

  * Start: 10:00 UTC
  * End: 12:00 UTC
  * Location: #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CommunityCouncilAgenda

==== Ubuntu Mobile Team Meeting ====

  * Start: 13:00 UTC
  * End: 14:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MobileTeam/Meeting

==== Server Team Meeting ====

  * Start: 15:00 UTC
  * End: 16:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting

==== Desktop Team Meeting ====

  * Start: 16:30 UTC
  * End: 17:30 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-desktop
  * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DesktopTeam/Meeting

==== Kernel Team Meeting ====

  * Start: 17:00 UTC
  * End: 18:00 UTC
  * Location:  IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

==== LoCo Council Meeting ====

  * Start: 19:00 UTC
  * End: 20:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LoCoCouncilAgenda

=== Wednesday, August 19, 2009 ===

==== Foundation Team Meeting ====

  * Start: 16:00 UTC
  * End: 17:00 UTC
  * Location:  IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda:  None listed as of publication

==== QA Team Meeting ====

  * Start: 17:00 UTC
  * End: 18:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda:  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Meetings/

=== Thursday, August 20, 2009 ===

==== Ubuntu Java Meeting ====

  * Start: 14:00 UTC
  * End: 15:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda:  None listed as of publication

==== Global Jam Meeting ====

  * Start: 18:00 UTC
  * End: 19:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: None listed as of publication

=== Friday, August 21, 2009 ===

==== Karmic Weekly Release Meeting ====

  * Start: 15:00 UTC
  * End: 16:30 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: http://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReleaseTeam/Meeting/2009-08-21

=== Saturday, August 22, 2009 ===

  * None listed as of publication

=== Sunday, August 23, 2009 ===

==== Ubuntu Gaming Team Meeting ====

  * Start: 19:00 UTC
  * End: 21:00 UTC
  * Location:  IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: None listed as of publication

== Updates and Security for 6.06, 8.04, 8.10 and 9.04 ==

=== Security Updates ===

  * USN-814-1: openjdk-6 vulnerabilities -
http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-814-1
  * USN-815-1: libxml2 vulnerabilities - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-815-1
  * USN-816-1: fetchmail vulnerability - http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/USN-816-1

=== Ubuntu 6.06 Updates ===

  * None Reported

=== Ubuntu 8.04 Updates ===

  * None Reported

=== Ubuntu 8.10 Updates ===

  * None Reported

=== Ubuntu 9.04 Updates ===

  * None Reported

== Archives and RSS Feed ==

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter

You can subscribe to the Ubuntu Weekly News via RSS at:
http://fridge.ubuntu.com/uwn/feed

== Additional Ubuntu News ==

  http://www.ubuntu.com/news

and

  http://fridge.ubuntu.com/

== Conclusion ==

== Credits ==

The Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter is brought to you by:

  * John Crawford
  * Craig A. Eddy
  * Dave Bush
  * Sayak Banerjee
  * Liraz Siri
  * And many others

== Glossary of Terms ==

  1. BOF - Birds of a Feather - An informal discussion group, based on a
shared interest, discussing without a pre-planned agenda
  1. GDM - GNOME Display Manager.
  1. MOTU - Master Of The Universe - Developers responsible for the
Universe and Multiverse repositories. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MOTU

== Ubuntu - Get Involved ==

The Ubuntu community consists of individuals and teams, working on
different aspects of the distribution, giving advice and technical
support, and helping to promote Ubuntu to a wider audience. No
contribution is too small, and anyone can help. It's your chance to get
in on all the community fun associated with developing and promoting
Ubuntu. http://www.ubuntu.com/community/participate

== Feedback ==

This document is maintained by the Ubuntu Weekly News Team. If you have
a story idea or suggestions for the Weekly Newsletter, join the Ubuntu
News Team mailing list at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-news-team and submit
it. Ideas can also be added to the wiki at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Ideas. If you'd like to
contribute to a future issue of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, please
feel free to edit the appropriate wiki page. If you have any technical
support questions, please send them to ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com.

Except where otherwise noted, content in this issue is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 License BY SA