Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #109

John Crawford johnc4510 at cox.net
Mon Sep 22 02:44:25 BST 2008

Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue #109 for the week
September 14th - September 20th, 2008. In this issue we cover: Intrepid
Ibex Alpha 6 released, Codecs & DVD playback in Intrepid for all users,
Xubuntu News, New Kubuntu Team, MOTU Team News, SFD: Ubuntu-VE,
Ubuntu-NI and Ubuntu NO, Ubuntu-ZA leadership change, Launchpad 2.1.9
released, Ubuntu Mozilla Team summary, and much, much more!

== UWN Translations ==

  * Note to translators and our readers: We are trying a new way of
linking to our translations pages. Please follow the link below for the
information you need.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Translations

== In This Issue ==

  * Intrepid Ibex Alpha 6 released
  * Codecs & DVD playback in Intrepid for all users
  * Xubuntu News
  * New Kubuntu Bug Team
  * MOTU Team News
  * FSD: Ubuntu-VE, Ubuntu-NI, and Ubuntu-NO
  * Ubuntu-ZA leadership change
  * Launchpad 2.1.9 released
  * In the Press & Blogosphere
  * In Other News
  * Mozilla Team Meeting Summary
  * Upcoming Meetings & Events
  * Updates & Security

== General Community News ==

=== Intrepid Ibex Alpha 6 released ===

Welcome to Intrepid Ibex Alpha-6, which will in time become Ubuntu 8.10.
Alpha 6 is the sixth in a series of milestone CD images released
throughout the Intrepid development cycle. The Alpha images are known to
be reasonably
free of show stopper CD build or installer bugs, while representing a
very recent snapshot of Intrepid. You can download it here:

  * http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/releases/intrepid/alpha-6/ (Ubuntu)
  * http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/releases/intrepid/alpha-6/
(Ubuntu Education Edition)
  * http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/releases/intrepid/alpha-6/ (Kubuntu)
  * http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/intrepid/alpha-6/ (Xubuntu)
  * http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntustudio/releases/intrepid/alpha-6/
(UbuntuStudio)

Pre-releases of Intrepid are *not* encouraged for anyone needing a
stable system or anyone who is not comfortable running into occasional,
even frequent breakage. They are, recommended for Ubuntu developers, and
those who want to help in testing, reporting, and fixing bugs. Alpha 6
includes a number of software updates that are ready for large-scale
testing.  Please refer to http://www.ubuntu.com/testing/intrepid/alpha6
for information on changes in Ubuntu.
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-devel-announce/2008-September/000487.html

=== Codecs and DVD playback on Ubuntu 8.04 for all users ===

For the first time we are making codecs for media playback and a DVD
player, from our partners at Fluendo and Cyberlink, available through
the Ubuntu store. We have had relationships with these companies for a
while and to date we have offered their products to our hardware
partners as pre-install options.

Though, we are making them available to all users. It is important to us
that no matter how you choose to access Ubuntu, pre-installed or as a
free download, that you can have a similarly rich experience. The vast
majority of our current users will have installed Ubuntu themselves.
These users should also be allowed legal DVD and media playback and so
we have built a way of letting them do this.

Ubuntu cannot ship codecs through the distro, as they are not free to
redistribute. So we have built a restricted download area that is
accessible through the store. Once purchased you can find your software
here which will then install in the familiar hassle-free way that Ubuntu
users appreciate. A pretty cool feature is that, should you wipe out
your machine you can go back to the restricted download area and access
your codecs again. http://blog.canonical.com/?p=37

=== Xubuntu News ===

The Xubuntu Team is happy to announce several important additions and
shuffles within the Xubuntu Team:

Pasi Lallinaho(knome) of Helsinki, Finland - a user of Xubuntu and Xfce4
on his desktop for well over a year now has joined the team as the new
Xubuntu Marketing Lead. Having founded his own business solutions and
services company at the age of 20, this 22 year old
entrepreneur/software engineer/artist/web design
professional/jack-of-all-trades will be a huge asset to Xubuntu in
helping to grow a strong marketing and artwork community. Pasi is no
stranger to the Open Source community, having contributed to Amarok for
close to two years. He has already jumped in with both feet by beginning
the process of giving our website a much needed face lift and creating a
countdown banner for the Intrepid release.

Jannis Pohlmann(JPohlmann) is a 23 year old computer science student and
musician living in Lübeck, Germany. Jannis, an Xfce developer, is well
known for his development contributions to the Xfce4 project, Lunar
Linux, and maintainer of the Xfce4 goodies project. Jannis will be
joining the team as the official liaison between the Xubuntu and Xfce4
projects and will assist in maximizing collaboration and communication.

Michael Casadevall(NCommander), who recently joined the Xubuntu
Developer ranks, has agreed to take on the role of being our liaison
with the Debian Xfce4 developers. In addition to his work as a
developer, Michael will assist the Xubuntu project in a similar fashion
to Jannis by helping maximizing collaboration and communication with our
upstream Debian counterparts.

Vincent Tunro(vinnl), who is a long time Xubuntu contributor and Xubuntu
website editor, has accepted the role of leading our efforts to develop
the website. Vincent's primary responsibilities will be to ensure that
the website is updated regularly with news stories and new content;
perform administrative duties such as managing and giving direction to
the other website editors; he will also help keep the website "fresh" in
general.

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-news-team/2008-September/000196.html

=== New Kubuntu Bug Team ===

Kubuntu now has its very own bug team!
https://launchpad.net/~kubuntu-bugs Formerly known as "The Kubuntu Team"
this team was recently renamed to Kubuntu Bugs. It represents the most
important part of development - triaging bugs. Additionally, the bug
tracker changes list also has been updated to aggregate all KDE 4
packages. https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/kubuntu-bugs

http://apachelog.blogspot.com/2008/09/qa-powerdevil-kdesvn-kde4-quassel.html

=== MOTU Team News ===

The Master of the Universe are pleased to inform you know that Michael
Casadevall just joined the Universe Contributors team. He has worked
hard, so please give him a warm welcome to team. Michael is working
toward becoming both an MOTU, and a Debian Developer. He works mostly on
FTBFS fixes, and general packaging work, as well as improving REVU to
make it easier to work with. Launchpad:
https://launchpad.net/~sonicmctails Wiki:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MichaelCasadevall

  * Open (46093) +194 # over last week
  * Critical (27) +/-0 # over last week
  * Unconfirmed (21194) -115 # over last week
  * Unassigned (37749) +264 # over last week
  * All bugs ever reported (211330) +1832 # over last week

As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started,
please see  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

=== Translation Stats Hardy ===

  * Spanish (11869) +/-0 # over last week
  * English-UK (30838) +1 # over last week
  * French (38907) -134 # over last week
  * Brazilian Portuguese (49864) -66 # over last week
  * Swedish (53188) +306 # over last week

Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 8.04 "Hardy Heron," see more
at: https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/hardy/

=== 5-a-day bug stats ===

Top 5 contributors for the past 7 days

  * crimsun (482)
  * maco.m (201)
  * andreas-moog (110)
  * alessandro-ghersi (73)
  * chrisccoulson (69)

Top 5 teams for the past 7 days

  * dcteam (683)
  * ubuntu-michigan (41)
  * ubuntu-berlin (30)
  * ubuntu-uk (20)
  * kubuntu-de.org (12)

5-A-Day stats provided by Daniel Holbach. See
http://daniel.holba.ch/5-a-day-stats/

== LoCo News ==

=== Software Freedom Day: Ubuntu-VE ===

Just posted:  Pictures from the Software Freedom Day in Maraciabo,
Venezuela.  Currently, the pictures include the Organizing team, and a
group photo.  More photos are available at
http://picasaweb.google.com/voices.in/DADeLaLibertadDeSoftware08MaracaiboVenezuela#.

http://effiejayx.velugmaracaibo.org.ve/?p=160

=== Software Freedom Day: Ubuntu-NI ===

SFD Nicaragua 2008 was also a Live Streaming event.  Some of the events
include:
  * 3 conferences in the morning
  * +600 attendees to the conferences
  * +80 attendees to the workshops
  * 12 installs
Photos are included on the site.
http://leogg.wordpress.com/2008/09/20/live-from-sfd-nicaragua-2008/

=== Ubuntu-ZA leadership change ===

Craig Adams stepped down as co-leader of the Ubuntu-ZA LoCo Team, due to
lack of time to contribute in recent months.  In his place will be
Jonathan Carter, who is an Ubuntu Member with a long list of
accomplishments.  He has been a long time contributor to Edubuntu, and
involved in local projects such as Skubuntu and tuxLabs.  He has also
worked for the Shuttleworth Foundation, Inkululeko and Impi Linux.
Launchpad: https://edge.launchpad.net/~jonathan Wiki:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JonathanCarter

http://morgancollett.wordpress.com/2008/09/20/ubuntu-za-leadership-change/

=== Software Freedom Day: Ubuntu-NO  ===

The Norwegian LoCo Team working in conjuction with PING, Oslo LUG,
Simula Research Labs, and people from Uni, held Software Freedom Day
September 16, at the University of Oslo. Among their activities was an
InstallFest which included installing Ubuntu, emacs and other software
for 50 students, including some Wubi installs. They used a PXE server
thanks to USIT and CDs courtesy of Canonical. Pictures at the following
links:

  * http://209.20.77.75/ruben/images/ubuntu/sfd/08/ilmar/
  * http://209.20.77.75/ruben/images/ubuntu/sfd/08/pal/
  * http://209.20.77.75/ruben/images/ubuntu/sfd/08/ruben/

http://huayra.wordpress.com/2008/09/20/week-update-sfd08-and-more/

== Launchpad News ==

=== Launchpad 2.1.9 Released ===

The Launchpad team is proud to announce the release of Launchpad 2.1.9

In this release:

  * Karma for code reviews: earn karma when you take part in code
    reviews in Launchpad. For more on code reviews,
    see https://news.launchpad.net/?p=91

  * Maps on profile pages: see straight away where in the world
    other people are thanks to new profile page maps.

Setting your location on the map is easy: visit your profile
page(https://launchpad.net/people/+me) and click to plant your flag. It
will show up both on your own profile and on the map of any teams you're
part of. The maps aren't just for fun: they also make it easier to
decide on meeting times and possible locations for physical meet-ups.
Take a look at the Launchpad Developers team for an
example:https://launchpad.net/~launchpad

https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/launchpad-announce/2008-September/000010.html

== In The Press ==

  * Asus Eee PC 1000 Plus Ubuntu: Big Power in a Small Package - Paul
Ferrill describes the Asus Eee PC 1000, that comes with a 1.6 GHz Intel
Atom processor, 1 GB memory, a 40 GB Solid State Drive and a 1.3 MP
camera. Also included is network support through a 10/100 Ethernet
connection or 802.11n wireless, and Bluetooth. This machine comes with
Ubuntu 8.04, OpenOffice.org, Firefox 3.01, F-Spot photo management,
Pidgin instant messenger client and Cheese for taking photos.  Other
availabilities are handled by Synaptic package manager, including
security updates and additional software.
http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reviews/6536/1/

  *Battle Brews Over Firefox in Ubuntu 8.10 - Michael Larabel of
Phoronix reports that Mozilla Firefox 3.0.2, which is slated for
inclusion in Intrepid, will require users to accept an End-User License
Agreement (EULA). Mark Shuttleworth weighed in on the subject stating
the EULA is a reasonable requirement and that Mozilla is simply
protecting their trademark. In fact, Ubuntu has similar guidelines about
use of their  Trademark. A number of users are not pleased and state
that “mandating this EULA is going too far”. Shuttleworth also states
that "abrowser", a new package in Intrepid, will use only the codebase
behind Firefox and therefore avoid the need for a EULA.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjcxOA

  * Shuttleworth defends Firefox licence in Ubuntu - In response to some
of the criticism that's been going around about the EULA for Firefox,
Mark Shuttleworth wrote, "Mozilla Corporation asked that this be added
in order for us to continue to call the browser 'Firefox'." Stating that
since Firefox is their trademark, which we intend to respect, we have
the choice of working with Mozilla to meet their requirements or
switching to an unbranded browser. Shuttleworth added that a package
called "abrowser" was being developed in Intrepid Ibex which uses
Firefox's code base without the Firefox trademark.
http://news.zdnet.co.uk/software/0,1000000121,39488217,00.htm?r=1

  * Is Ubuntu about to become yet another restrictive commercial OS? -
The author of DC: Infowarrior and Xubuntuphile is contesting the selling
of licenses to popular multimedia codecs. The concern voiced on his site
is that these commercial, proprietary codecs would eventually be rolled
into the actual release instead of the open source software that
accomplishes the same goals.  He quotes an article by Kristin Shoemaker
and one by Gerry Carr, the Marketing Manager at Canonical.
http://darthchaosofrspw.wordpress.com/2008/09/21/is-ubuntu-about-to-become-yet-another-restrictive-commercial-os/

  * Ubuntu's BulletProofX Takes Simpler Step Forward - Michael Larabel
has taken a look at the BulletProofX that's been included in Intrepid
Ibex, and finds it to be much easier to solve problems with graphic card
configurations and troubleshooting. Instead of a simple statement that
there was a problem that needed to be fixed, now it offers you the
option of viewing the xserver log, viewing the startup errors or editing
the configuration file. He feels this is a major step forward.
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=ubuntu_bulletproofx_2&num=2

  * Kroah-Hartman Attacks Canonical - Kristian Kissling, for Linux
Magazine, reports that Greg Kroah-Hartman feels that Canonical has only
released .01% of the total number of patches to the kernel. On the other
hand, Matt Zimmerman felt that Kroah-Hartman's statistics were flawed
through including such things as GCC, binutils, X.org and Glibc in with
the Linux kernel, and in disregarding the desktop stack (GNOME and KDE).
In addition, Zimmerman notes that Kroah-Hartman has a link with Novell,
who is a Canonical competitor.
http://www.linux-magazine.com/online/news/kroah_hartman_attacks_canonical

  * Toshiba NB100 netbook announced for the UK - Amy-Mae Elliott reports
on the latest Toshiba offering in the UK: a 8.9 inch offered with either
Ubuntu 8.04 and OpenOffice.org 2.4 or another proprietary system.
Available October 2008, the netbook includes a 1.6GHz Intel Atom CPU,
wifi, ethernet port, 3 USB ports, a 0.3MP webcam and a 120 GB hard
drive.
http://www.pocket-lint.co.uk/news/news.phtml/17730/18754/toshiba-nb100-netbook-uk.phtml

== In The Blogosphere ==

  * Updated: Meet 120 Companies Running Ubuntu Linux - Works With U is
striving to identify 1,000 businesses and organizations across the globe
that run Ubuntu on servers, desktops, laptops or mobile devices. The
fast-growing list of Ubuntu adopters — known as the Works With U 1000 —
now includes law firms, technology companies, universities, real estate
firms, media companies, financial services firms, and other types of
organizations from across the globe. Take a look at the current Works
With U 1000 list[1], or add your company to the list by filling out
their quick survey[2].
http://www.workswithu.com/2008/09/16/updated-meet-120-companies-running-ubuntu-linux/

  [1] http://www.workswithu.com/the-works-with-u-1000/

  [2] http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=i2c_2f_2fT9gDCIIMwd1mzqfNg_3d_3d

  * Can Ubuntu Overcome The Status Quo? – Toby Deemer on the Works With
U blog posts that much of the hesitance in people accepting Ubuntu, and
Linux in general is caused by Ubuntu and Linux being different, and
whether people can appreciate what that different might be better. As a
case in point, Toby relates the story of how he help his wife move to
Ubuntu. In order to make his wife feel a bit more comfortable he
customized Gnome to resemble Windows. Once comfortable with Ubuntu he
purchased his wife an eeePC running Xandros. Toby runs Ubuntu and
administers a large MS Active Directory environment at work and his wife
works in education full of Windows and OS X machines. Neither has a
problem integrating into their respective environments. The only issue
so far is a Lexmark printer at home…Lexmark has yet to write Linux
drivers.
http://www.workswithu.com/2008/09/16/can-ubuntu-overcome-the-status-quo/

  * Pimp your Blackberry with the Ubuntu Theme! - While we can't run
Ubuntu on our Blackberries, blogger defcon shows us how we can make it
look like we are. defcon provides us links to Dr. Devious' Blackberry
Pearl theme that duplicates the Ubuntu Hardy look and feel. This handy
theme also shows new mail and calendar items at a glance. Combined these
provide Blackberry users with a great looking and very helpful theme!
http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008/09/ubuntu-theme-on-your-blackberry.html

  * Bureaucracy - Ubuntu kernel manager Pete Graner responds to a
comment on his blog about the Kernel Team requiring an Launchpad bug
being filed prior to committing patch to the tree. Graner explains that
requiring a Launchpad bug being filed isn't about bureaucracy, it's
about accountability. Without an Launchpad bug being filed then more
problems may arise when people cannot remember why a patch was received.
Filing the bug report helps the Kernel Team to manage proper change
controls and improve the kernel in a well documented manner.
http://blog.redvoodoo.org/2008/09/bureaucracy.html

  * Memo to Canonical and Ubuntu: Stop Chasing Apple Mac OS X - Blogger
Joe Panettieri is concerned with the focus that Canonical CEO Mark
Shuttleworth is putting on the future direction of Ubuntu. Panettieri is
especially worried that by going after the design and polish of Apple's
OSX that other more important factors, such as wireless networking
functioning properly on install, may not get the attention they truly
deserve. He is further concerned about the lack of Ubuntu branding on
systems shipped with Ubuntu, and with naming confusion over the many
varieties of Ubuntu. Developing a more elegant OS is a worthy goal, but
Panettieri suggests that the basics need to be worked out first.
http://www.workswithu.com/2008/09/15/memo-to-canonical-and-ubuntu-stop-chasing-apple-mac-os-x/

== In Other News ==

=== The OLPC PH Special Interest Group at Software Freedom Day 2008
Quezon City, Philippines ===

Jerome Gotangco in his "Engage the World" blog highlights the
festivities of the Software Freedon Day at the National Computer Center
in Quezon City. In year’s past, Jerome involved himself with promoting
Ubuntu, but this year he turned his attention to One Laptop Per Child.
The XO-1 was a highlight and many asked, “When is it coming to the
Philippines” and, “Does it run Ubuntu?”.  Jerome states that using the
XO-1 has made people realize it’s difference from the Netbooks and
UMPC’s currently on the market.  “-create magic and inspire people!
That’s the best result any SFD or advocacy can achieve”. Pictures at the
link.
http://engage.wordpress.com/2008/09/21/the-olpc-ph-special-interest-group-at-software-freedom-day-2008-quezon-city-philippines/

=== Linux Plumbers Conference Recap ===

Pete Garner shares the highlights of the kernel team mini-sprint and the
Linux Plumbers Conference. Mini-Sprint developments include: git comment
hooks for check-ins, more kernel QA, and the kernel team will be
packaging the latest upstream “Vanilla kernel. Pete indicated that the
Plumbers Conference was exceptional focusing on faster boot times among
other things. Canonical was taken to task by Greg Kroah-Hartman in his
keynote speech for not “giving back”. Both Pete and Matt Zimmerman were
able to talk with Greg later and reach common ground.
http://blog.redvoodoo.org/2008/09/linux-plumbers-conference-recap.html

== Meeting Summaries ==

=== Mozilla Team Meeting ===

On September 14th, the Ubuntu Mozilla Team met in IRC where they
assigned several actions to be taken, and discussed the following topics.

  * Firefox 2 archive removal
  * abrowser rdepends transition
  * Mozilla Freeze Exceptions
  * Status of automatic update for extensions

Visit the link for details of the above topics:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MozillaTeam/Meetings/Minutes/2008-09-14

== Upcoming Meetings and Events ==

=== Tuesday, September 23, 2008 ===

====  Server Team Meeting ====
  * Start: 15:00 UTC
  * End: 16:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ServerTeam/Meeting

=== Wednesday, September 24, 2008 ===

==== QA Team Meeting ====
  * Start: 17:00 UTC
  * End: 18:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/Meetings/

==== Platform Team Meeting ====
  * Start: 22:00 UTC
  * End: 23:00 UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: None as of publication

=== Thursday, September 25, 2008 ===

==== Ubuntu Mobile Team Meeting ====

  * Start: 12:00 - UTC
  * End: 13:00 - UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

==== Ubuntu Desktop Meeting ====

  * Start: 13:00 - UTC
  * End: 14:00 - UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

==== Ubuntu Java Meeting ====

  * Start: 14:00 - UTC
  * End: 15:00 - UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

=== Friday, September 26, 2008 ===

==== Ubuntu Release Meeting ====

  * Start: 15:00 - UTC
  * End: 16:30 - UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
  * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

=== Saturday, September 27, 2008 ===

==== Intrepid Translation Sprint ====

  * Start: 00:00 - UTC
  * End: 23:59 - UTC
  * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-es-loco
  * Agenda: Not listed as of publication

== Updates and Security for 6.06, 7.04, 7.10, and 8.04 ==

=== Security Updates ===

  * [USN-646-1] rdesktop vulnerabilities -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-security-announce/2008-September/000750.html

=== Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Updates ===

  * rdesktop 1.4.1-1.1ubuntu0.6.06.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/dapper-changes/2008-September/012750.html

=== Ubuntu 7.04 Updates ===

  * python-django_0.95.1-1ubuntu1.2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/feisty-changes/2008-September/008997.html
  * rdesktop 1.5.0-1ubuntu1.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/feisty-changes/2008-September/008998.html

=== Ubuntu 7.10 Updates ===

  * python-django_0.96-1ubuntu0.2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/gutsy-changes/2008-September/010305.html
  * rdesktop 1.5.0-2ubuntu0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/gutsy-changes/2008-September/010306.html

=== Ubuntu 8.04 Updates ===

  * linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24 2.6.24.14-21.50 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2008-September/012011.html
  * gcj-4.2 4.2.4-1ubuntu2 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2008-September/012012.html
  * gstreamer0.10-fluendo-plugins-doc 0.10.6-1hardy1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2008-September/012013.html
  * python-django_0.96.1-2ubuntu2.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2008-September/012014.html
  * rdesktop 1.5.0-3+cvs20071006ubuntu0.1 -
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/hardy-changes/2008-September/012015.html

== Archives and RSS Feed ==

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter

You can subscribe to the Ubuntu Weekly News via RSS at:
http://fridge.ubuntu.com/uwn/feed

== Additional Ubuntu News ==

  http://www.ubuntu.com/news

and

  http://fridge.ubuntu.com/

== Conclusion ==

== Credits ==

The Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter is brought to you by:

  * Nick Ali
  * John Crawford
  * Dave Bush
  * Arlan Vennefron
  * Craig A. Eddy
  * And many others

== Glossary of Terms ==

  1. FTBFS - Fails To Build From Source
  1. MOTU - Master Of The Universe
  1. REVU - A web based tool for packages, to be reviewed by MOTU's
prior to being committed to Universe.

== Feedback ==

This document is maintained by the Ubuntu Weekly News Team. If you have
a story idea or suggestions for the Weekly Newsletter, join the Ubuntu
News Team mailing list at
https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-news-team and submit
it. Ideas can also be added to the wiki at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Ideas. If you'd like to
contribute to a future issue of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, please
feel free to edit the appropriate wiki page. If you have any technical
support questions, please send them to ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com.