Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #121

John Crawford johnc4510 at cox.net
Sun Dec 14 21:45:11 GMT 2008

Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue #121 for the week
December 7th - December 13th, 2008. In this issue we cover: 4,000 people
attend Ubuntu-fr Release Party, Ubuntu Developer Summit: Jaunty, Hall of
Fame: Albero Milone, Interview with (huats), Leader of the Ubuntu-fr
Team, MOTU, New York team Asterisk demonstration, Software Freedom Day
Nicaragua, Launchpad Drupal modules, Launchpad in twitter and identi.ca,
Launchpad off-line Dec. 17th, OpenSolaris tackles Ubuntu dominance, and
much, much more!

== UWN Translations ==

  * Note to translators and our readers: We are trying a new way of
linking to our translations pages. Please follow the link below for the
information you need.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuWeeklyNewsletter/Translations

== In This Issue ==

  * 4,000 people attend Ubuntu-fr Release Party
  * Ubuntu Developer Summit Jaunty
  * Hall of Fame: Alberto Milone
  * Ubuntu Stats
  * Interview with (huats), Leader of the Ubuntu-fr Team
  * New York Team Asterisk Demonstration
  * Software Freedom Day Nicaragua
  * Launchpad Drupal modules
  * Launchpad in Twitter & identi.ca
  * Launchpad off-line Dec. 17th
  * Launchpad News
  * In the Press & Blogosphere
  * OpenSolaris tackles Ubuntu dominance
  * Upcoming Meetings & Events
  * Updates & Security

== General Community News ==

=== Four Thousand People attend Ubuntu-fr Release Party ===

Organized by ubuntu-party and the French LoCo team, the event took place
in the "Cité des sciences et de l'industrie" in Paris, on November 29th
and 30th. Last year the event drew almost 3,000, and with 4,000
certified attendees, this years event was another recording breaking
event for the French LoCo team.

The event included 14 hours of conferences that covered various topics
such as  "what is Ubuntu?", "how to contribute to Ubuntu?" and "what is
the French community Ubuntu-fr?". Other talks covered more general
issues such as accessibility, achieving freedom through computer
science, art and free culture, and open document formats. For new users,
there were 8 hours of initiation training. Also included were sessions
for beginners that taught them how to use Ubuntu on a day-to-day basis,
and a more advanced session that covered command line usage.

The event also included an installation fest where literally hundreds of
machines had Ubuntu installed by volunteers. Mozilla had a dedicated
room where they attracted lots of attention with their talks. There was
an Ubuntu discovery area where team members demonstrated the Ubuntu OS
to new users, and a bugjam where attendees could learn how to triage bugs.

Local radio station oxyradio, and the French national newspaper
Liberation covered the event by providing interviews, and a full page
write up about the happening.

Congratulations to the French team for surpassing last years attendance
mark and for hosting what could very well be the Ubuntu event of the
year for LoCo teams.
http://blog.didrocks.fr/index.php/post/Ubuntu-Party-Paris%3A-more-than-4-000-visitors!

Pictures here: http://www.ubuntu-party.org/retombees.php

=== Ubuntu Developer Summit Jaunty ===

UDS Jaunty has concluded, and many in the community are wondering just
what happened, and what can we expect from Jaunty Jackalope. By
following the links below, everyone can find out. Sessions were recorded
and are available for viewing. The videos provide insight to where
Ubuntu is headed in the future.

OGG downloads of recorded sessions: http://videos.ubuntu.com/uds/jaunty/

YouTube videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/ubuntudevelopers

OGG downloads of interviews: http://videos.ubuntu.com/uds/jaunty/Interviews/

Pictures from the event: http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=uds-jaunty&m=tags

=== Hall of Fame: Alberto Milone ===

Alberto Milone is best known for creating and maintaining envy, a tool
to help people install nvidia drivers. After its introduction, it gained
huge popularity in the community, and soon afterwards he started working
on screen-resolution-extra, which made it easy to set up dual-head displays.

A few releases ago, these tools found their way into Ubuntu itself, and
Alberto dove head-first into making the integration of graphic drivers
and display related features in Ubuntu rock. The first step was writing
x-kit, which contains code to parse, edit, and write xorg.conf. Nowadays
he is maintaining the nVidia driver within Ubuntu.

Facts about Alberto that are probably not widely known yet: he studied
foreign language in college, and is passionate about food, especially
Italian! He not only directly helped Ubuntu to move X drivers out of
linux-restricted-modules into their own much simpler packages, but also
helped with moderation work in the Ubuntu Forums. In addition to these
items, Alberto is a big fan of T.S. Elliot.

Alberto Milone is definitely one of the work-horses in the Ubuntu
community, he is friendly and very approachable - we're not only very
happy, but very lucky he is part of our community.

http://hall-of-fame.ubuntu.com/?feature=alberto-milone

=== MOTU ===

David Futcher is a 15 year old living in Edinburgh, Scotland and has
used Ubuntu since the Dapper version. He is active in MOTU, Ubuland(a
project to provide free web hosting to members of the Ubuntu community),
the Ubuntu Forums, testing of Intrepid Ibex, and Launchpad BETA testing.
David has done great work in MOTU, and we're very happy to announce his
membership to the team. Launchpad: https://edge.launchpad.net/~bobbo
Wiki: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DavidFutcher

  * Open (47948) -317 # over last week
  * Critical (15) -1 # over last week
  * Unconfirmed (18479) -321 # over last week
  * Unassigned (39822) -327 # over last week
  * All bugs ever reported (236667) +1211 # over last week

As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started,
please see  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

=== Translation Stats Intrepid ===

  * Spanish (17283) -357 # over last week
  * French (61915) +/-0 # over last week
  * Swedish (72541) -1863 # over last week
  * Brazilian Portuguese (81309) -338 # over last week
  * English (UK) (81460) +/-0 # over last week

Remaining strings to translate in Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex," see more
at: https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/intrepid/

=== 5-a-day bug stats ===

Top 5 contributors for the past 7 days

     * crimsun (712)
     * jibel (289)
     * charlie-tca (80)
     * chrisccoulson (70)
     * andres-mujica (48)

Top 5 teams for the past 7 days

     * dcteam (712)
     * ubuntu-co (48)
     * ubuntu-berlin (45)
     * ubuntu-de-locoteam (37)
     * ubuntu-cl (34)

5-A-Day stats provided by Daniel Holbach. See
http://daniel.holba.ch/5-a-day-stats/

=== Ubuntu Brainstorm Top 5 this week ===

  * Create icons for "open with" applications in the context menu
  * kaffeine (and other video players) should remember last position
  * Add Yo Frankie! Game to Ubuntu repositories
  * Nautilus: Make it possible to change file permissions in FTP
  * Implement support for OpenCL API

Ubuntu Brainstorm is a community site geared toward letting you add your
ideas for Ubuntu. You can submit your own idea, or vote for or against
another idea. http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/

== Interview with (huats), Leader of the Ubuntu-fr Team ==

- Who are you? Where do you live? What do you do for a living?

My name is Christophe Sauthier, and my nick is huats in IRC. I am 31, I
live in Toulouse (France), and I am in a relationship. I work for a
French service company (makina corpus) that only works in the open
source world. I am involved with Ubuntu related training, assistance,
and migration, but also some development in PHP (Drupal) and Python (Plone).

I am directly involved with Ubuntu as the leader of the French LoCo. My
other main community role is coordinating the MOTU mentoring reception,
which is geared at helping new comers in the Ubuntu development world. I
also try to be active on a development level by helping with the
packaging of some applications, mainly around the GNOME environment.

- How did you get involved with Linux and Ubuntu initially?

A long long time ago (something like 1996) I went to ask someone his
opinion on a perl script I was working on (a cgi for a website in fact).
He told me: "if you plan to develop a bit in Perl, you should use Linux.
Here are some ways to install it...". That was my first contact with
Linux. At that time, I mainly used Suse, and Debian. Then one day, I ran
across something which was based on Debian but not named yet, it later
became known as Ubuntu. That was in 2004, and since that day, Ubuntu has
been the only distribution I have used.

- How did you get involved with the French LoCo?

I had been doing some French translations for some software (mainly in
Gnome) for sometime, and one day I noticed a post on the French LoCo
teams wiki that mentioned a bunch of projects that were about to be
launched. One of them was the organization of interviews (and then
translations) of some key members of the community. This project evolved
later into various projects like BehindUbuntu.

- How did you come to lead the French LoCo?

After that first experience in the French Community, I decided to stay
around, hanging out in the IRC of various French channels, or looking
from time to time at the forums. That was where I saw the campaign to
sell t-shirts for the LoCo. My first thought was 'I want one', and my
second thought was 'I am sure I can help them to organize it'... After
ordering mine, I contacted the guy who was leading the project, and
there was so much work that my help was welcomed... it turned out that
Yann (the guy I contacted), was the leader of the LoCo, and after lots
of talks he told me that some help was also needed on the website
development area. He asked me to show some proof that I able to help by
developing a module for the punbb (the forum we are using for the French
LoCo). I took on more and more work for the French LoCo, and when the
leader decided to step down, they asked me if I was willing to face the
challenge of trying to build a new team, with new organization. This is
how I became the leader of the French LoCo, and I have tried to build
the team using the "Team Work" concept.

- What are the challenges of running a large LoCo? How does your LoCo
communicate, and reach such a large area?

There are many challenges, but it is also thrilling. The first challenge
is of course trying to work everything into one day. There are some many
solicitations that it is impossible to please everyone even though we
want to try. So it ends up, that some people feel that we are just
centered in one area, and that we don't care about the others. The fact
is that it is usually a lack of manpower and/or time, and to show that,
we are communicating more and more using a report blog. The blog is part
of the French planet so it can be reached by everyone. We don't want to
only limit ourself to the blog though, since we are also trying to be as
transparent as we can on every decisions. Every month or so, we have a
public IRC meeting. We try to deal with every aspect of our community:
talking about the past actions (since the last meeting), the current
ongoing actions, and the short/medium term ones. There is also an amount
of time dedicated to questions where anyone can initiate a new topic for
discussion. I think that this transparency interests people, for
instance at the last meeting, something like 60 people attended.

- How is the French LoCo organized? Is it centralized or decentralized?

It is a mix. Of course there are a bunch of guys at the core of the
LoCo, but with the new team organization, the core has grown a bit. The
aim of each one of the cores is to have the big picture of everything
that is happening in the LoCo, or at least to maximize its knowledge. By
doing it that way, if we have someone who steps down, it makes it easier
to replaced them. Around the core, is a bigger circle of people, who are
more involved in one, or two areas. This second circle can be seen as
dedicated teams for one area. So to sum up: a core of less than 10
people, that leads some team activities that are quite independent of
the others. Each team has a wide perimeter of action, even though we
like to be aware of big decisions.

- Sometimes LoCos go through a slow period, where member participation
or motivation may have decreased? How does the French LoCo battle that?

I think there has been a slow period like that in the French LoCo too.
But I think its effect has been lowered by the change in the team
organization that I mentioned earlier. It was noticeable during the
period when the 'leaders' of the community were slowing down a bit, but
there was not a big slowing down in our activities. This is indicative
of a bigger community, that can sustain themselves for sometime without
major damage... As long as it doesn't last too much of course... Since
then, the LoCo is again on a good track, and is very active. Good
examples are the parties we had all over the country for Intrepid, and
of course the Paris event with more than 4000 attendants over the
weekend. Since we don't want to slow down again, we are launching some
small projects that should help us to tackle some areas that we are
interested in. That should help to keep our LoCo and the community
growing. They are kind of the projects that made me want to get involved
in the community, so you can clearly imagine that I am really attached
to them. We feel that in this way we can offset a decrease, or slowdown
in membership by adding some new areas of interest to get involved with.

- What are your short term and longer term plans for the LoCo?

I'd say to keep the current work we have just initiated: to complete the
various teams (some are still a bit blurred, or are just taking shape).
For instance, there was not really a web development team, since we were
just gathering some resources when needed. Right now a group of very
talented people are working to tackle the various aspects for long term
use, not just on demand. This is necessary if we want to be able to
always be innovative. So for the short term, it's finding a new skin for
the whole pack of ubuntu-fr sites (www, documentation, forums and
planet), to take advantages of our new www website (drupal), and give
our editors the rights to many teams (the kubuntu or the edubuntu one).
We hope to be able to do that in the next couple of months. For the
longer term, we really want to continue our effort on spreading Ubuntu
in France, which results in the organization of more parties all across
the country (building on the success of the whole intrepid campaign). We
want to have some regular events, where people can gather in real life
instead of just in IRC. That should help the new user to feel that they
are part of the community. It might be some bug jams, some documentation
jams (like a bug jam but to verify the current available documentation),
or even some translation jams. Finally we will try to set up a real
policy for the attendance of events by offering people the chance to
meet with the team personally to ask question and get answers.

- One of the ideas that you have talked about with the LoCo Council is
twinning. What is that? And have you put it into practice yet?

Many meanings can be given to the twinning of LoCos. The one I really
care about is the help that a big LoCo, like the French one, can provide
to a smaller one. That help could be experience, helping to plan some
large scale campaign, or even donating some money to help them to get
their event started. This is something that we faced at the beginning
with our team, and without the financial involvement of some French
members we couldn't have done many of the things we have. Since the
French LoCo has more power now, it might be a great thing to help other
teams to get a start. In fact it is quite close to some of the key
concepts that lead to the creation of ubuntu-eu some years ago.
Ubuntu-eu is a joint German effort to share hosting of their website.
Since its inception, many LoCos have found hosting there, which is
clearly helpful for the newer teams. Back to the twinning process, we
have started to work a bit on it, with the Tunesian LoCo, but we are not
very far along in the process because of a lack of time lately. I am
very confident that we will work on that soon again.

- The Ubuntu French Team had a release party attended by 4,000 people.
Can you describe the event? How did you plan the event? How long did it
take?

This event, that took place in Paris, was a mixture of all the various
kind of parties that we could have: install, release, conference... That
is why we simply call it an "Ubuntu Party." We are hosting this event
every 6 months, on a weekend, about a month after each release. During
the event, many people came to get an installation of Intrepid, or
because they were facing a problem with their current ubuntu
installation. We also offered more than 14 hours of conferences, and a
bug jam... and even live radio during the whole weekend that was
broadcasting from the event. The team has been planning the event since
the end of the previous one(which was in early June), so it is the
result of 6 months of work by the whole team. Some of us were working on
the communication (with media, with the desired audience), some others
on the materials needed for the event, or even planning the overall look
and feel of the conference. We are currently doing the analysis of this
event, which should help us to prepare the next one, in May 2009.

- What do you do for fun?

Besides my LoCo activities, I do some Ubuntu development. While I know
it is still related to our community, this is clearly a separated
activity from my point of view. But I also do quite a lot of sports:
mainly basketball, but I also go hiking in the Pyrenees (some mountains
which are very close to my home) sometimes. Beside that, I really enjoy
cooking for my friends. In fact I clearly see a common link in cooking
for others, and doing some of the activities associated with free
software...

== LoCo News ==

=== New York Team Asterisk Demonstration ===

The New York Team will be holding a demonstration of Asterisk PBXi
(Private Branch Exchange, internet), at the Rochester Institute of
Technology, in Rochester, New York.

  * Address:
   * BARNES & NOBLE @ RIT Bookstore

   * 100 Park Point Drive

   * Rochester, NY 14623

   * (at the corner of John Street and Jefferson Road in Henrietta)