Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter #59

Nick Ali nali at ubuntu.com
Mon Oct 1 05:21:15 BST 2007

Welcome to the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, Issue #59 for the week
September 23rd - September 29th, 2007. In this issue we cover the
Ubuntu 7.10 Beta release, newly approved LoCo team and Ubuntu members
, LoCos participating in Ohio LinuxFest 2007, and, as always, much
much more!

'''UWN Translations'''

 * Deutsch - Start one!
 * Español - Start one!
 * Français - Start one!
 * Italiano - http://wiki.ubuntu-it.org/NewsletterItaliana
 * Português - Start one!

== In This Issue ==
 * Ubuntu 7.10 Beta Released
 * Newly Approved Ubuntu Members
 * Søren Hansen Joins Ubuntu Core Developers
 * Florida Loco Team Is Approved
 * LoCos Participate in Ohio LinuxFest 2007
 * In The Press and In the Blogosphere
 * Meetings and Events
 * Updates and security for 6.06, 6.10, and 7.04
 * Translation stats
 * Bug Stats

== General Community News ==

=== Ubuntu 7.10 Beta Released ===

The Ubuntu team is proud to announce the beta release of Ubuntu 7.10
and its variants, Kubuntu, Edubuntu and Xubuntu.  Codenamed "Gutsy
Gibbon", 7.10 continues Ubuntu's proud tradition of integrating the
latest and greatest open source technologies into a high-quality,
easy-to-use Linux distribution. Ubuntu 7.10 on the desktop features a
cutting-edge graphical experience with composited desktop effects,
fully automated printer installation, and superior support for Firefox
browser plugins. Ubuntu 7.10 server edition brings enhanced
security-in-depth with AppArmor and easy install-time options for
multiple common server configurations.
 * Desktop Highlights: Compiz Fusion, Printer installation, Free Flash
support with Gnash, and Automated Firefox plugin installation.
 * Server Highlights: App`Armor, and Pre-configured installation options
 * Edubuntu Highlights: Faster thin clients
 * Kubuntu Highlights: In addition to the above Desktop Highlights,
Dolphin file manager, Strigi desktop search, and Restricted-manager.
For other information on where to download, feedback and help,
comments and bug support, and much more, visit the link

=== Newly Approved Ubuntu Members ===

 * Jeffrey Elkner has been using Ubuntu since Hoary. He is a founding
member of the DC Loco Team and has set up numerous Ubuntu/Edubuntu
labs. He has also been active at the Ubuntu Down Under and Ubuntu
Below Zero developer summits. He also participates in several projects
including Edubuntu Installations and Edubuntu User Stories.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/JeffreyElkner and

 * Paul Bartell has been using Ubuntu since Hoary. He is a member of
the Ubuntu PNW and the Ubuntu Washington Loco Teams. His dream is that
Ubuntu will eventually obtain at least a 50% market share. Paul's also
been involved in several install fests, tech fairs, and Software
Freedom Day events in Seattle. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PaulBartell

 * Neal McBurnett has been an Ubuntu user, promoter, contributor and
distributor since the first release in 2004, on servers and desktops,
for myself and several non-profit organizations. An active member and
founding member of the Colorado Loco Team, he helped to organize a
little Ubucon at Google in Boulder last June. Neal is also active on
the Ubuntu Server Team, Launchpad Beta Testers, Ubuntu Directory
Services, and the Ubuntu Loco Ethusiasts Team.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/NealMcBurnett and

 * Matthew Gallagher started using Ubuntu with the Breezy release. He
is a member of the Ubuntu DC Loco Team, and helped to set up the
Ubuntu/Edubuntu labs in several Virginia locations. Helping to
advocate and educate in the Virginia area seem to be the focus of this
new Ubuntu Member. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MatthewGallagher and

 * Chris Rohde is most active in the Florida Loco team and spends most
of his time the #ubuntu-florida channel helping to build their team.
He started the Ubuntu Florida Loco Team in March 07, and has since
spent all his time working on spreading and improving this loco team
and its influence within Florida. He was instrumental in helping plan
Orlando's first Bar Camp, and right now is helping to plan the Gutsy
release parties in Florida. One of his short term goals is to help a
few more Florida  Loco Team members to obtain Ubuntu Membership.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ChrisRohde and https://launchpad.net/~bordy

 * Rick Clark works for Canonical as the manager of the Ubuntu Server
Team. He is fairly new to Ubuntu, but has been a long time Linux user.
Currently his main focus is growing the Server community particularly
with people that work in corporate environments. Rick is as active as
he can be in the Georgia US Loco. Many of the things he works on are
currently not public, but UDS planning, Hardy planning take up a large
part of my time these days.  His most recent success was getting re
worked libpam-ldap and lib-nss-ldap packages in main, as well as
ldap-auth-config and ldap-auth-client, which he created.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/dendrobates and

 * Michael Price is a member of the Beginner's Team, Ubuntu Wiki Team
and the Ohio Loco Team among other teams. He is very active on the
Ubuntu Forums and he has helped to clean up the wiki pages and created
a few new pages on the Wiki. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Seisen and

 * Mackenzie Morgan has been using Ubuntu for a year after a
suggestion from a friend. He is a member of the DC LoCo and helped
with the events there, like Software Freedom Day and Takoma Park.
Participation in install fests and demo's have also been part of his
Ubuntu focus. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MacoMorgan and

=== Søren Hansen Joins Ubuntu Core Developers ===

Having worked in Ubuntu and especially the Ubuntu Server Land, Søren
Hansen joined the ranks of Ubuntu Core Developers.

== LoCo News ==

=== Florida Loco Team Is Approved ===

By showing strong membership, advocacy, community involvement and
charitable donations, the Florida Loco Team is the newest approved
Ubuntu Loco Team. Active in Community Expo's, Software Freedom Day
events, Bar Camp and Bar Camp Orlando, this team exemplifies the best
of Ubuntu. Future plans for the team include development of a Florida
Team LiveCD, working with the Alabama Loco Team and the Georgia Loco
Team on a multi-state Linux Fest, and of course more advocacy events
to further promote Ubuntu in the State of Florida. Congratulations
Team Florida and keep up the great work!

=== LoCos Participate in Ohio LinuxFest 2007 ===

The Ohio LoCo manned a booth at Ohio LinuxFest 2007, which had over
2000 attendees. Kentucky, Indiana, Michigan, and Pennsylvania LoCo
teams were also present, along with individuals from the Georgia and
Nebraska LoCos. Steven Stalcup, member the Ohio team, and Jorge
Castro, of the Michigan team, gave talks at the event. Slides used for
the presentations and pictures may be seen at

== In The Press ==

 * First Impressions: Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Ubuntu Gutsy Gibbon, aka
version 7.10, due to release next month. In Gnome 2.20, I can--at long
last--drag and drop files out of zip and tarball archives. And thus
one of my wishes for 2007 has been granted. The e-mail client,
Evolution, has a cool new feature (suppressible with one click; quit
your whining) that harangues you when you seem to be forgetting an
intended attachment. Several disparate applets in the Gnome Control
Panel have been brought together in the new Appearance applet, too.
Totem, the media player, has much improved automatic codec downloading
and installation. (The Wall Street Journal's Walt Mossberg, the most
powerful tech journalist on the planet, recently criticized this
feature for referring to codec packs that are "bad" and "ugly," but he
failed to note that the feature works perfectly for a wide variety of
media types, and that nothing like it exists on Windows or the Mac.)
The power manager icon on my Gnome panel now provides a constant,
dependable approximation of how much battery life is left, and even
tells me if my creaky old battery is shot. Gutsy includes other
niceties that are unrelated to the new Gnome release. When Firefox
encounters a media type it doesn't know how to handle, it now uses the
system's package-management tools to locate, download, and install the
Ubuntu package for the necessary browser plug-in, all automatically. A
PDF-generating virtual printer lets you easily produce PDF files from
any application that can print. A new, friendly tool helps with
graphics-card and monitor setup. The Tracker desktop-search tool is
now installed and enabled by default, as are snazzy desktop effects
(windows that fade in and out, Exposé-like task switching) driven by
Compiz. Gutsy is still a beta, so I render no final conclusions about
it here; I will say, though, that I like the changes I see, and I'm
hungry for more.

 * Review of Ubuntu 7.10 (gutsy) new features and changes (From:
Tolero's tech notes) - Compiz Fusion - Desktop Effects, Screen,
Graphics and Driver Preferences, Desktop search, Printing service
changes, Free flash player, Firefox - A third (currently alpha)
version of the Firefox browser named 'Gran Paradiso' is included into
the 'universe' repository, Gimp 2.4 and Open Office 2.3 Conclusion -
As always, new version of Ubuntu is better than previous. But probably
this version did the most powerful step forward than any other. I will
strongly recommend my friend, who is using another operating system,
to settle on the Ubuntu gutsy now, because most of the major barriers
for newbies are gone. During testing run of the gutsy I have met only
one confusing case. It was during installation of updates, when Update
manager opened a terminal emulator frame. It was unclear even to me,
what should I do next: just wait, because it was just an information
message or type something in. In reality, I have simply to hit the
'Enter' button.

 * Review: Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon (beta) - The biggest step forwards
as far as I'm concerned is the improvement to the configuration of the
X server. This means that you're now able to make changes to your
display configuration without faffing around gediting your Xorg.conf
file. Ubuntu now has the ability to switch between users quickly
(sound familiar XP users?). This is handy because you don't need to
close down the current session to change users. Gutsy is going to be
the first Ubuntu release to ship with 3d effects installed by default
and that's a nice touch. An impressive introduction is the PDF printer
(something I recommend most people to have anyway); meaning you can
print your documents straight to PDF without installing third party
applications. Tracker is Google desktop search for all intents and
purposes. It's able to index meta data contained within your files,
folders, everything. From the contents of your documents to the
meta-data attached to your Audio files: tracker searches them all.

 * First Ubuntu 7.10 ('Gutsy Gibbon') beta arrives - Ubuntu fans
rejoice! The first beta of the next Ubuntu 7.10, aka "Gutsy Gibbon,"
arrived on Sept. 27, complete with corresponding releases of its
variants: Kubuntu, Edubuntu, and Xubuntu desktop editions, as well as
a server edition. Starting with the desktop, Ubuntu has moved to the
brand spanking new GNOME 2.20 for its primary desktop environment.
Compiz Fusion is a very new open-source project. It builds on top of
the Compiz compositing windows manager foundation. To this, Compiz
Fusion adds features from the, now merged with Compiz, Beryl composite
window manager and Compiz Extras, a community set of improvements to
Compiz. The Gutsy Gibbon beta also now includes dynamic screen
configuration. With the right graphic drivers and chipsets for ATI,
nVidia, and Intel graphics chips installed, Ubuntu can support the X
Resize and Rotate Extension (xrandr); thanks to this capability,
Ubuntu can dynamically detect monitors or projectors and allow for
easy resizing and rotating of video output. The Gutsy Gibbon beta also
includes a new deskbar applet. This applet enables you to quickly get
to your most frequently used activities. Thinking of Web browsers, the
new Ubuntu beta also makes it easier to get most of out of Firefox,
thanks to an improved plugin finder wizard that lets users search and
install packaged Firefox plugins. Under the hood, users will find the
Linux 2.6.22 kernel powering up both the client (desktop) and server
versions. This is supported by GCC 4.1.2 and glibc 2.6. One final
note: the Ubuntu project would like to remind would-be users that this
is a beta release. You should not install it on "production" machines.
The final, stable version is expected to be released in next month.

== In The Blogosphere ==

 *  Ubuntu Desktop not used in business - I got a telling reponse from
Canonical when I approached its Public Relations team looking for case
studies of businesses that had switched from Windows: … we find that
the businesses using Ubuntu tend to use the server edition right now
and so a windows comparison is not relevant. Ubuntu desktop is largely
in the consumer space not business. It hardly comes as a surprise to
discover that most businesses use Windows, but I did think there would
be a few examples. I've been running Ubuntu, mainly on my laptop, and
find it perfectly solid and useable. In fact, it is possibly better
suited for business than for consumers. The problem with Linux is that
you always seem to run into one or two problems that require
intricate, non-obvious steps to resolve. I don't mean to minimize the
problems facing anyone switching to Linux. In the business world, that
includes custom or niche software that is likely to be Windows-only.
Every small business I encounter seems to have an Access or VB
application that has become business-critical. Another snag is doing
without Microsoft Office. Yes, Microsoft Office is over-priced (unless
you are a home or academic user), but it is on the whole better to
work with than Open Office. Another factor, under-appreciated by the
media, is that Windows has a mature and very comprehensive
administrative infrastructure for managing any number of desktops. For
larger organizations this makes Windows the obvious choice. I am
hoping that someone will read this blog and say, "this is nonsense, we
use Ubuntu in business". Comments below.
   * This is nonsense. I have 2 customers that use Ubuntu as business
desktop OSs. They are small, but still businesses. One has 4 Ubuntu
desktops (and 2 windows desktops) and the other has about 8 ubuntu
desktops and 1 windows desktop. And of course, there is our business -
we have 4 ubuntu desktops, 4-5 ubuntu laptops, one OS X macboo and one
Windows desktop PC. So there are 3 businesses right there. Oh, and all
3 use Ubuntu server along with many more of our customers using Ubuntu
Server with all windows desktop environments. The difficulty we have
with Ubuntu is management. While it is easier to remotely manage at
the OS level, it's more difficult to troubleshoot user level problems
(printing and scanning being the most difficult). shankwc
   * For once I saw something that is truth about linux in a blog. My
organization cannot switch to ubuntu or any other linux distro because
of the problems you have identified. Someone has to fix them if they
want linux to challenge the windows (rather MS) monopoly. Kewl Dude
   * We tried, gave up and moved back to Ubuntu. We are a small IT
consultancy firm and provide solutions mainly on Linux but had been
using Windows internally. We tried to push Linux on the desktop
internally but failed initially with Fedora 4. We gave up and used
Windows for a year or so. Recently we installed Ubuntu 7.04 for one of
the developers when he was complaining of Virus/Worm issues and after
seeing his hassle free desktop and the breadth of other applications,
the rest of the employees actually came up and requested Ubuntu
including all departments. Our infrastructure costs have come down
dramatically. K. C. Ramakrishna
   * "This is nonsense, we use Ubuntu in business" Actually we use
Kubuntu on all our machines at My Game Company. We do e-mail, software
development, web site development and publishing, artwork, order
fulfillment, finances, and all of our back end work on Kubuntu. We use
Firefox for internet access, Thunderbird for our e-mail client, Spam
Assassin for our spam filtering, GIMP for most of our game art, SoniK
for audio editing, gftp for FTP, and Cross Over Linux for all the
Windows applications we need (including Office 2000, Frontpage 2000,
Quicken, Corel Photopaint 8, and Feed For All). We only use Windows
and Mac when we have to port and test our games. We've been very happy
with Kubuntu since we switched a year and a half ago. The file system
is so much faster than Windows, and the machines are much more
responsive. It is also very stable. The Windows apps run very well
under Cross Over Linux, and in fact some of them start up faster on
Kubuntu than they do on the same machine running Windows XP. We've had
no problems with viruses, spyware, or adware. It has been a very
satisfying experience, and we have no intention of ever going back to
Windows. Troy Hepfner
   * As the PR guy who wrote the quote, albeit in a rushed email
exchange not an official statement, let me complete the context. The
vast majority of Ubuntu users are individuals using it either at home
or at work. We see Ubuntu on desktops in thousands of companies across
the world but that is different to being standardised as the desktop
solution in these companies. As the IBM guy above says "we have guys
running Ubuntu" but are IBM an official reference for Ubuntu? Sadly,
no. So, ill-chosen words. For consumer read individual. I would appeal
to readers who are using Ubuntu to tell us and let us use them as case
studies to encourage others and to give to people like Tim as examples
of businesses running Ubuntu. Consider buying support to resolve any
issues - Landscape is designed to manage multiple deployments and is
free with support contracts. Contribute, in short, and help us as we
continue to invest to resolve the remaining issues on the way to
widespread adoption in businesses. Gerry Carr Marketing Manager,
Canonical http://www.itwriting.com/blog/?p=335

== Meetings and Events ==

=== Tuesday, October 02, 2007 ===

==== Kernel Team Meeting ====
 * Start: 16:00 UTC
 * End: 17:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting

==== Ubuntu Artwork Team ====
 * Start: 17:00 UTC
 * End: 19:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Meetings

==== Ubuntu New York Loco Meeting ====
 * Start: 18:00 US/Eastern
 * End: 19:30 US/Eastern
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-newyork
 * Agenda: https://wiki.kubuntu.org/NewYorkTeam

=== Wednesday, October 03, 2007 ===

==== Launchpad Users Meeting ====
 * Start: 16:00 UTC
 * End: 16:45 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #launchpad
 * Agenda: Come find out what we've got planned for Launchpad 1.1.10
and ask your questions of the Launchpad team.

=== Saturday, October 06, 2007 ===

==== Xubuntu Developers Meeting ====
 * Start: 17:00 UTC
 * End: 19:00 UTC
 * Location: IRC channel #ubuntu-meeting
 * Agenda: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Meetings

== Updates and security for 6.06, 6.10, and 7.04 ==

=== Security Updates ===

 * USN-517-1 kdm vulnerability:
 * USN-518-1 Linux kernel vulnerabilities:
 * USN-519-1 elinks vulnerability:
 * USN-520-1 fetchmail vulnerabilities:
 * USN-521-1 libmodplug vulnerability:
 * USN-522-1 OpenSSL vulnerabilities:

=== Ubuntu 6.06 LTS Updates ===

 * Accepted kdebase 4:3.5.2-0ubuntu27.2 (source):
 * Accepted linux-source-2.6.15 2.6.15-29.60 (source):
 * Accepted elinks 0.10.6-1ubuntu3.2 (source):
 * Accepted fetchmail 6.3.2-2ubuntu2.2 (source):
 * Accepted libmodplug 1:0.7-5ubuntu0.6.06.1 (source):
 * Accepted openssl 0.9.8a-7ubuntu0.4 (source):

=== Ubuntu 6.10 Updates ===

 * Accepted kdebase 4:3.5.5-0ubuntu3.6 (source):
 * Accepted linux-source-2.6.17 (source):
 * Accepted elinks 0.11.1-1ubuntu2.2 (source):
 * Accepted fetchmail 6.3.4-1ubuntu4.2 (source):
 * Accepted libmodplug 1:0.7-5ubuntu0.6.10.1 (source):
 * Accepted openssl 0.9.8b-2ubuntu2.1 (source):

=== Ubuntu 7.04 Updates ===

 * Accepted kdebase 4:3.5.6-0ubuntu20.3 (source):
 * Accepted linux-source-2.6.20 2.6.20-16.32 (source):
 * Accepted realplay 10.0.9-0feisty3 (source):
 * Accepted kdebase 4:3.5.6-0ubuntu20.4 (source):
 * Accepted elinks 0.11.1-1.2ubuntu2.2 (source):
 * Accepted fetchmail 6.3.6-1ubuntu2.1 (source):
 * Accepted kdebase 4:3.5.6-0ubuntu20.5 (source):
 * Accepted openssl 0.9.8c-4ubuntu0.1 (source):

== Bug Stats ==

    * Open (31940) +902 # over last week
    * Critical (17) +0 over last week
    * Unconfirmed (16614) +537 # over last week
    * Unassigned (23903) +742 # over last week
    * All bugs ever reported (123439)  +2185 # over last week

As always, the Bug Squad needs more help. If you want to get started,
please see  https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BugSquad

== Translation Stats ==

 1. Spanish (19560) -483 # over last week
 2. French (39723) -515 # over last week
 3. English-UK (56558) +723 # over last week
 4. Swedish (51466) -733 # over last week
 5. German (63860) -370 # over last week

Remaining string to translate in Ubuntu 7.10 "Gutsy Gibbon", see more
at: https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/gutsy/

== Archives and RSS Feed ==

You can subscribe to the Ubuntu Weekly News via RSS at:

== Additional Ubuntu News ==

== Conclusion ==

== Credits ==

The Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter is brought to you by:

## The following list is in chronological order.

 * Nick Ali
 * John Crawford
 * And many others

== RSS ==

You can subscribe to the UWN feed at: http://fridge.ubuntu.com/uwn/feed

== Feedback ==

If you would like to submit an idea or story you think is worth
appearing on the UWN, please send them to
ubuntu-marketing-submissions at lists.ubuntu.com.
This document is maintained by the Ubuntu Marketing Team. Please feel
free to contact us regarding any concerns or suggestions by either
sending an email to ubuntu-marketing at lists.ubuntu.com or by using any
of the other methods on the Ubuntu Marketing Team Contact Information
Page (https://wiki.ubuntu.com/MarketingTeam). If you'd like to
contribute to a future issue of the Ubuntu Weekly Newsletter, please
feel free to edit the appropriate wiki page. If you have any technical
support questions, please send then ubuntu-users at lists.ubuntu.com.