Minutes of the One Hundred Paper Cuts meeting on 2012-11-22

Didier Roche didrocks at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 26 06:41:45 UTC 2012

Le 25/11/2012 14:55, Chris Wilson a écrit :
> These can be viewed on the wiki page here:
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PaperCuts/MeetingMinutes/22Nov2012
> <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PaperCuts/MeetingMinutes/22Nov2012#preview>
>

> ==== 'One click' setup script for Compiz/Unity ====
> If we're going to be targetting Compiz, for paper cut manifesting in
> Unity, then it's important for contributors to be able to test their
> patches easily, and for that thay have to be able to build both Compiz
> and Unity with the minimal of headaches, something neither of these
> packages really allows for at the moment.
>
> A script should be written, and regularly maintained, that will allow
> the user to branch and build both Compiz and Unity from source, and
> immediately have it up and running. There are many unanounced chaned
> to the build dependencies to Unity so in order to keep the script upto
> date, the help of the Unity devs should be enlisted here.
>
> In order to make sure it was always working, it needs to be tested
> regularly, preferably daily. The best way to do this would be to use
> Ubuntu's [[https://jenkins.qa.ubuntu.com/|Jenkins
> <https://jenkins.qa.ubuntu.com/%7CJenkins>]] server for automated
> daily build testing.

Hey,

Do you know that in the coming weeks, we'll have the whole unity stack
(and not restricted to it), being built daily in ubuntu? Meaning that if
you have a fix in unity, you don't surely won't need to build the latest
nux or compiz because it will be in ubuntu :)

Also, it means that once a papercut is reviewed and landed to trunk, the
day after, it will be in ubuntu, quite motivating, isn't it? :)

So fixing something will only ask for (for instance, in unity):
- sudo apt-get build-dep unity
- bzr branch lp:unity
- <hack your fix>
- bzr bd
-> install the packages, tests

So, I guess this script is really not needed (nor the machinery to have
it running everyday).

Also, ensure that all UI/behavior changes are first talked with the
design team (John Lea) so that they are accepted before proposing the
change.

Thanks a lot for this awesome ongoing effort.

Cheers,
Didier