New Contributor Feedback - 12.10

Vibhav Pant vibhavp at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 04:12:40 UTC 2012

Over the past development cycle, the Ubuntu Developer Advisory Team [1]
reached out to many new contributors. As part of that work, we solicited
feedback about our development process. We have summarized this feedback in
the attached report. It is our hope that it will help drive further
discussion about our development processes, tools, and documentation in the
lead up to UDS and over the course of the next cycle.

Attracting new developers and maintaining our welcoming environment for
contributors is an important task for the project. We encourage both new
contributors and existing developers to discuss your interpretations of the
report as well as any other feedback you might want to share about your
experience working on Ubuntu.

The full text is below. It is also available as a PDF [2].

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DeveloperAdvisoryTeam
[2] http://people.canonical.com/~dholbach/d-a-t/12.10Feedback-Contributors.pdf
<http://people.canonical.com/~dholbach/d-a-t/12.10Feedback-Contributors.pdf>

On behalf of the Developer Advisory Team,

-- Vibhav Pant

developer-advisory-team at list.ubuntu.com

Number of people we reached out to: 66
Got feedback from: 29
Response Rate: 43.93%

Topics
                                  Total Mentions        Positive
Improvement Needed
Tools & Infrastructure               15                  8              7
Processes                               9                    4
5
Documentation                        10                   6              4
Outreach                                 4                    4
   0
People                                   19                   18
         1

Report
======
In the 12.10 cycle the Developer Advisory Team reached out to 66
contributors
to ask for their feedback. We received feedback from 29 (Response Rate:
43.93%). This does not include many other conversations we are involved in,
for example when we help contributors with their development application.
The general tone of the feedback was positive and we received quite a
number
of ideas for how we can improve our development workflow.

Current members of the Developer Advisory Team are: Andrea Colangelo,
Andrew
Starr-Bochcchio, Barneedhar Vigneshwar, Bhavani Shankar, Christophe
Sauthier,
Daniel Holbach, Evan Broder and Vibhav Pant.

Tools & Infrastructure
======================
The vast majority of contributors who mentioned tools and infrastructure
generally enjoy using Bazaar and Launchpad. Especially the tight
integration
between Bazaar and Launchpad and the straight-forward process were noted as
advantages. PPAs, daily builds, translations integration and many other
things were also mentioned in a positive light.

As points for improvement the learning curve, the amount of different
options
and tools and Launchpad-git integration were quoted.

 * The thing is Bzr-only in Launchpad - I would really like to have git as
an
   option too
 * Launchpad is a pain to get working initially, and there's really a whole
   lot of stuff to read up on first before things become useful.
 * would try to reduce the number of tools available because sometime it's
   disorienting when you have to choice things and both have pro and cons.
 * Even though I'm more of a git fan personally, bzr's integration
   with launchpad makes contributions very easy and very fun. For instance
   unity or compiz - you pick up a bug, prepare a branch, request a merge
   and wait for reviews. Easy.
 * Pushing to launchpad can trigger builds, review, merges, ... That's
quite
   amazing stuff which helps a lot in building and managing a whole
   distribution.
 * The tools, while occasionally cryptic and unpolished, make development
   easier, faster and even fun once you get the hang of them.
 * In general, I like the development process and the tools (from build
   systems to online services) are very easy to use.
 * It's not always clear which launchpad service is the right one to use.
E.g.
   on a blueprint, if I want to offer a comment, should I edit the
whiteboard,
   or pick a relevant name to email? Or is there somewhere a discussion
   feature associated with it?
 * The features provided by Launchpad are also interesting.
 * Launchpad environment which integrates all the development workflow; I
can
   quickly and easily checkout sources of any package, commit a patch, link
it
   to a  bug report, ask for a review/merge, manage the translation, build
   package and push it into a PPA, etc. That's just amazing..
 * It was quite easy to create the branch and pushing it to launchpad as
   everything needed is explained by launchpad (where to push, how to push
   etc.).
 * Also, it would be very good to have a much easier way to submit bugs
   related to a ppa. Currently, they end up being emails sent to me. Having
   more visibility, would help the user and me.
 * Launchpad could be slightly improved (speeding it up, fixing some
annoying
   bugs like pad.lv/523989, adding some markup options, etc).
 * I liked the automation that you accomplished using launchpad and bzr.
 * like the development process and the tools (from build systems to online
   services) are very easy to use
 * Bzr and Launchpad are very effective and make collaboration and peer
   feedback nearly painless.

Processes
=========
Processes in general were mentioned less as part of the feedback, the only
improvements contributors requested were doing the follow more easily:
getting
in touch with package maintainers, finding out what needs doing, getting
new
packages into Debian/Ubuntu, quicker sponsoring and more stable release
fixes.
Our processes got some good feedback as well.
 * I am very satisfied with the helpfulness of the community, and I have
never
   had any negative interactions based on any work that I have done. All of
   the comments from uploaders or reviewers of my work have been
constructive,
   and this really helps one learn and remain motivated.
 * It would be nice if people doing bug triage got in touch with the
package
   maintainer as well - sometimes some of the questions which get asked of
   bug submitters by bug triagers could be more useful with prior input
from
   the maintainer.
 * The only part I feel that can be improved is the way I have to find
   packages that I have interest in helping.
 * Debian seems to have an enormous barrier to entry for getting new
packages
   accepted into the archive. And unfortunately this is described as the
   easiest way to get new packages into Ubuntu!
 * Generally once a release has been released not too much care is giving
   it - sure, there's an occasional sru, but for the rest it's ignoredâ€
 * I think it's important for new contributors to see their work go into
   Ubuntu more quickly, the only thing that I think it should be improved
is
   sponsoring, It takes some time to get someone work reviewed and uploaded
   Ubuntu.
 * Anyone can jump on a bug, submit a fix for it, and have it accepted into
   the archive.
 * The most exciting things about being involved in  development have most
   definitely been the UDS's.

Documentation
=============
The Documentation which has been a helpful resource for all new
contributors.
The improved developer portal (developer.ubuntu.com) provides useful
tutorials
like the packaging guide which have immensely helped contributors. The vast
majority of replies mention it in a very positive light. The outreach and
bug
fixing initiatives were mentioned as great entry points as well. However, a
contributor mentioned that too much documentation on our wiki is confusing,
another contributor mentioned that the Ubuntu wiki could be more structured.

 * Generally, the wiki is really helpful here, especially with routine
tasks
   such sponsorship for uploading
   (eg: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SponsorshipProcess). At this point I can't
   think of any easy way of improving this issue. However, a quick lookup
page
   that lists all of Ubuntu development / packaging tasks are that links to
   existing documentation might be useful. However, I have always managed
   look up what I have needed to find quickly with the various search tools.
 * What I think can be improved is the way the wiki is structured (or at
least
   some of the pages on it). It looks like it contains all the information
   that is needed. But sometimes I just can't find what I am looking for
and
   I have to go to google or ask on irc.
 * Documentation can always being improved.
 * The guys behind introducing new people to Ubuntu development have made
it
   very easy for them to start contributing to Ubuntu, there is a lot of
good
   documentation, a lot of training sessions on irc on
http://ubuntuonair.com/
   nowadays no one should be afraid of contributing to Ubuntu.
 * There is a ton of great documentation, perhaps too much?
 * With the availability of great documentation made by Ubuntu developers,
   setting up my environment to start with Ubuntu development wasn't
difficult
   at all for me.
 * There is a vast amount of knowledge in forms, wikis and how-to's.
 * The documentation and examples on how to make an SRU turned out to be
less
   helpful than hoped, so I made a few beginner's mistakes that could have
   been avoided.
 * I really like the fact that I got quick feedback to my contributions.
One
   thing that is really important for me is the bug fixing initiative wiki
   page and the fact that lately it seems to be updated regularly.
 * The community is also very helpful and there is a vast amount of
knowledge
   in forms, wikis and how-to's.

Outreach & People
We should take pride in the great feedback we received. Our processes,
tools
and documentation seem to work great for almost all our contributors. One
thing we should be especially proud of is us as a community. Read the