Minutes from the Ubuntu Kernel Team meeting, 2012-06-12

Joseph Salisbury joseph.salisbury at canonical.com
Tue Jun 12 17:26:01 UTC 2012

= Meeting Minutes =
[[http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2012/06/12/%23ubuntu-meeting.txt|IRC Log of
the meeting.]]
[[http://voices.canonical.com/kernelteam|Meeting minutes.]]

== Agenda ==
[[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting#Tues, 12 Jun, 2012|20120612
Meeting Agenda]]

=== ARM Status  ===
 Q/omap4: no new code was committed since last week, kept working on the
configuration (delta reduction against master).

=== Release Metrics and Incoming Bugs  ===
 Release metrics and incoming bug data can be reviewed at the following
link:
 http://people.canonical.com/~kernel/reports/kt-meeting.txt

=== Milestone Targeted Work Items  ===
 || apw         || hardware-q-kernel-config-review || 4 work item   ||
 ||             || hardware-q-kernel-delta-review  || 3 work items  ||
 ||             || hardware-q-kernel-versions-and-flavors || 1 work item ||
 || cking       || hardware-q-kernel-delta-review  || 2 work items  ||
 || cooloney    || hardware-q-kernel-config-review || 1 work item   ||
 || jjohansen   || hardware-q-kernel-config-review || 1 work item   ||
 || jk-         || hardware-q-kernel-config-review || 2 work items  ||
 || ogasawara   || hardware-q-kernel-config-review || 2 work items  ||
 || cyphermox   || hardware-q-kernel-delta-review  || 1 work item   ||
 || ppisati     || hardware-q-kernel-config-review || 1 work item   ||
 || sforshee    || hardware-q-kernel-delta-review  || 1 work item   ||
 || smb         || hardware-q-kernel-delta-review  || 1 work item   ||
 ||             || hardware-q-kernel-versions-and-flavors || 1 work item
 || tgardner    || hardware-q-kernel-config-review || 2 work items  ||
 ||             || hardware-q-kernel-delta-review  || 2 work items  ||
 || tlei        || hardware-q-kernel-delta-review  || 2 work items  ||
 || kernel-team || hardware-q-kernel-config-review || 3 work items ||
 ||             || hardware-q-kernel-versions-and-flavors || 2 work items ||
 If your name is in the above table, please review your Alpha-2 work
 items.

 We have recently rebased the Quantal kernel to the latest v3.5-rc2
 upstream kernel.  I'd like to see a little more smoke testing before
 uploading.
 We've also began providing the 12.10 kernel for 12.04.  We welcome any
 early adopters to please install, test, and let us know your feedback.
 It is available from the following PPA:
 https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/q-lts-backport
 Important upcoming dates:
  * Thurs Jun 28 - Alpha 2 (~2 weeks)

Precise/Oneiric/Natty/Lucid/Hardy  ===
 Here is the status for the main kernels, until today (June  05):

  * Hardy    - 2.6.24-31.102 - Being prepared; 2 CVEs
  * Lucid    - 2.6.32-41.91  - Being prepared; 2 CVEs
  * Natty    - 2.6.38-15.61  - Being prepared; 3 CVEs
  * Oneiric  - 3.0.0-22.36   - Being prepared; 1 upstream stable release
(approx. 60 commits), 1 CVE
  * Precise  - 3.2.0-26.41   - Being prepared; 1 upstream stable release
(approx. 137 commits)

 Current opened tracking bugs details:
  * http://people.canonical.com/~kernel/reports/kernel-sru-workflow.html

 For SRUs, SRU report is a good source of information:
  * http://people.canonical.com/~kernel/reports/sru-report.html

 Future stable cadence cycles:
  * https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QuantalQuetzal/ReleaseInterlock

 <<BR>>
 == 2012-06-12 (weekly) ==
 <<BR>>
 Currently we have 89 CVEs on our radar, with 0 new CVEs added this week.

 See the CVE matrix for the current list:
 http://people.canonical.com/~kernel/cve/pkg/ALL-linux.html

 There is no change in the backlog this week:>
 http://people.canonical.com/~kernel/status/cve-metrics.txt
 http://people.canonical.com/~kernel/cve/pkg/CVE-linux.txt

=== Open Discussion or Questions? Raise your hand to be recognized  ===
 kamal:
 I've recently been working with the upstream Bufferbloat group:
http://www.bufferbloat.net ...
 They have implemented new network scheduler algorithms designed to
address the performance drag induced by large unmanaged network buffers.
 The new stuff ("fq_codel" and "codel") just landed in linux 3.5.
 A good article about the bufferbloat problem and the new scheduling
algo's is here: http://queue.acm.org/detail.cfm?id=2209336
 The result is *very* impressive:  I see a 30X reduction in ping latency
on a fully saturated 10Mbps network, just by switching on the new
fq_codel scheduler.
 For an interactive ssh session over that same saturated 10Mbps network,
fq_codel totally eliminates the laggy keyboard response -- it feels like
there's no other network traffic at all!
 I have produced a Bufferbloat PPA to allow us to experiment with this
stuff now in Precise and Quantal:
 https://launchpad.net/~kamalmostafa/+archive/bufferbloat
 The PPA includes a "quantal-3.4-plus-bufferbloat" kernel for precise
and quantal.  (The new schedulers won't work on pre-3.3 kernels).  The
PPA page links to a quick how-to-smoke-test-it guide and more info.
 The Bufferbloat group is eager for testing and feedback and general
eyeball time from the Ubuntu kernel team and the Ubuntu community.
Their channel is #bufferbloat on freenode.
 Please give my PPA a whirl, and get a taste of the new cutting-edge
network goodness.  Any questions about it -- I'll at least know who to
direct you to, so feel free to ask me.
 <<BR>>

 BenC:
 I had this on the meeting agenda, but don't see it above.
 Trying to get some feedback for the patches I sent to kernel-team@,
hoping to get it merged for next kernel upload
 Re: PowerPC e500mc
 BenC, i think that are being reviewed at the moment arn't they ?
 If so, I'm unaware :)
 Also, if there are any suggestions on changes to my workflow for
getting powerpc stuff merged, let me know
 we are looking at them and seeing if they scare us or not
 bjf: The only scary one(s) are the mdio phy changes, but I have tested
them extensively on non-ppc
 BenC: just got back after 5 days off. they are on my todo list.
 Everything else is either nop or segmented on non-ppc
 tgardner: thanks
 a lot of the patches are sauce, are those also heading upstream ?
 All of them have been pushed upstream
 2 have been accepted
 BenC: I should have some comments by tomorrow. got a huge pile of email
to deal with...
 Oh wait, not the SAUCE, not yet
 freescale had 360+ patches last year, so they've done a lot to get this
merged upstream
 These are the last few, and are being dealt with in the coming months
 tgardner: ok, please email, ping me if any questions come up…
 will do
 Anything else for open discussion?
 Thanks everyone