Membership Boards: Restaffing and Reorganization

Mark Shuttleworth mark at ubuntu.com
Thu Apr 26 00:45:19 UTC 2012

On 25/04/12 12:24, Elizabeth Krumbach wrote:
> These boards will each have 9 members with a quorum of 4. We are
> seeking to seat 10 new board members at this time across both boards
> (we have 8 board members whose terms are not ending).
>
> We have the following requirements for nominees:
>
>  * be an Ubuntu member
>  * be confident that you can evaluate contributions to various parts
> of our community
>  * be available during typical meeting times of the board in question
>  * broad insight into the Ubuntu community at large is a plus
>
> Those sitting on membership boards are people who are insightful. They
> are current Ubuntu Members with a proven track record of activity in
> the community. They have shown themselves over time to be able to work
> well with others and display the positive aspects of the Ubuntu Code
> of Conduct. They should be people who can discern character and
> evaluate contribution quality without emotion while engaging in an
> interview/discussion that communicates interest, a welcoming
> atmosphere, and which is marked by humanity, gentleness, and kindness.

Recognising the contributions and qualities of others is one of the key
things that strengthens our community. To sit on one of these boards you
do not need to be a top contributor, you rather need good judgement of
character and the courage to say "no", nicely, in the form of an
invitation to come back again with a stronger track record of engagement.

For those members of the community who have some experience working with
people, and would like to contribute to the project but don't have the
time to do so on code or other areas, bringing a mature perspective to
these membership boards is a very welcome contribution.

Thanks Lyz for framing the positions so clearly, and all the work in
bringing forward this time-based approach.

Mark