Xubuntu Community Meeting 2011-02-24 minutes

Charlie Kravetz cjk at teamcharliesangels.com
Thu Feb 24 22:15:01 UTC 2011

= 2011-02-24 Meeting Minutes =

== Old Business ==

 * Old business
  * Xubuntu marketing plans - carried forward
   * shimmer project to move items pertaining to Xubuntu to
   https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu - Done
  * We need to start either a ML item or webpage item for marketing -
   * knome is working hard on this very topic, and his efforts are very
   much appreciated
   * We now have a wiki page going, even if the wiki is hard to work
   with at this time. It is at https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Xubuntu/Marketing
 * ochosi and mr_pouit will change panel launchers to generic icons -
 * ochosi and knome will put together some logo designs to be discussed
   as the menu icon - carried forward
 * ask knome to do some drafts with a grey background and a black
   background - carried forward
 * knome is to set up a tele-conference of some type to discuss
   marketing - carried forward
 * we need someone to update the slideshows displayed during the
   installation, they are badly outdated (they were made for karmic or
   lucid) - carried forward == Team updates ==

=== Packaging & Development ===

 * More syncs from debian experimental
 * Fixed xfce4-indicator-plugin to work with nm-applet and transmission
   (might be worth adding it by default to the panel, feedback welcome).
 * Fixed xfce4-notes-plugin to allow smooth upgrades (it won't be
   removed from the panel when upgrading to 4.8).
 * Patched update-manager to be able to restart without gnome-session
 * micahg packaged and uploaded gmusicbrowser 1.1.6. (had some help
   from quadrispro with gmusicbrowser)
 * [ACTION] add xfce4-indicator-plugin to panel
 * remove cpugraph
=== Bug Triage & Testing ===

 * we are testing starting tuesday for alpha3.
 * We need some testers and a new testing lead, if anyone is interested
 * We need to have some more people looking at Natty, so we can get the
   feedback to mr_pouit and ochosi in time for any changes needed.
 * We discussed bug reporting for Natty Narwhal. The number of bugs
   being reported seems to be quite low, compared to previous releases. 
=== Website & Marketing ===

 * Suggestion from ochosi - it would be great if the first page would
   show the slideshow that is shown during installation.
 * canonical will be setting up a wordpress test install for us!
 * Added knome and pleia2 to the ~xubuntu-website team so we're all set
   to put a theme in there once we're ready (canonical will pull from
 * Give ochosi his own account on the drupal install so he can post
   news articles

=== Artwork ===

 * alpha3 will have all the artwork and theme changes

== Discussion - Remote Desktop Viewer (Vinegrae) ==

 * It was decided that this could be dropped if space is needed on the
   CD. It is a nice addition to the menu for the users that do need it.

== Discussion - PowerPC and Armel builds for Xubuntu ==

 * If no objections are received, PowerPC builds will be discontinued
   as of Natty Narwhal Alpha3. 
  * Xubuntu has no PPC developers or testers, and requests have
   resulted in no responses.
 * micahg got the ok to ISO test arm

== Any Other Business ==

 * We don't have the desktop switcher in natty
  * put workspace switcher back in the current configuration for natty
 * Next meeting is in one week, March 3, #ubuntu-meeting, at 19:00 UTC.
 *Meeting logs and minutes are available at:
 * proposal we take up the strategy document starting in three weeks, a
   bit at a time, the meeting of March 10.

== Action items for the 2011-02-24 meeting ==

 * add xfce4-indicator-plugin to panel
 * put workspace switcher back in the current configuration for natty

== Carried Forward ==

Please see the meeting logs for

=== Xubuntu Governance ===

 * The governancy part of the current Strategy Document can be found at
   [[Xubuntu/StrategyDocument#Xubuntu Governance & Team Structure]]
 * The Xubuntu project will advance towards a Council-based governance

=== The Xubuntu Council ===

 * The Council size should be 5 members, with one of them being the PL.
 * PL will have a vote in every voting in the Council, not just as a
 * The 4 members in the Council in addition to the PL should be
   selected by the existing Xubuntu Contributors.
 * The appropriate Team Lead can be the tiebreaker in a vote, but only
   if PL is absent.
 * The council should *aim* to have balanced membership across the
   different aspects/teams of Xubuntu.
 * The council should be named/selected after every LTS release. Thus,
   every season lasts for 2 years.

Charlie Kravetz 
Xubuntu Project Lead
Linux Registered User Number 425914          [http://counter.li.org/]
Never let anyone steal your DREAM.           [http://keepingdreams.com]

More information about the Ubuntu-news-team mailing list