Ubuntu Kernel Team Meeting Minutes - 2010-11-23

Brad Figg brad.figg at canonical.com
Tue Nov 23 18:46:15 GMT 2010

= Meeting Minutes =
[[http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/11/23/%23ubuntu-meeting.txt|IRC Log of the meeting.]]
<<BR>>
[[http://voices.canonical.com/kernelteam|Meeting minutes.]]

== Agenda ==
[[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting#Tues, 23 Nov, 2010|20101123 Meeting Agenda]]

=== ARM Status  ===
  * Marvel (mvl-dove)
    * Marvell's latest LSP, 5.3.6 has been integrated into our tree and uploaded.
  * Freescale (fsl-imx51)
    * Nothing new this week
  * Texas Instruments (ti-omap)
    * Bug #666267 - Added DKMS package to this bug and asked for help from Mario. TI is
      still based on the 2.6.35 kernel. It is unlikely that we will be cherry-picking
      patches due to their proliferation all over the tree. They (TI) may move to 2.6.38
      next year.

=== Release Metrics  ===
Release Meeting Bugs (6 bugs, 13 Blueprints)
==== Alpha 1 Milestoned Bugs (13 across all packages (down 1)) ====
  * 0 linux kernel bugs (no change)
  * 0 linux-ti-omap bugs (no change)
  * 0 linux-meta-ti-omap bug (no change)
==== Release Targeted Bugs (95 across all packages (up 9)) ====
  * 3 linux kernel bugs (no change)
  * 0 linux-ti-omap bugs (no change)
  * 0 linux-meta-ti-omap bug (no change)
==== Milestoned Features ====
  * 1 blueprints (Including HWE Blueprints)
==== Bugs with Patches Attached:140 (up 2) ====
  * [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bugs?field.has_patch=on | Bugs with Patches]]
  * [[http://qa.ubuntu.com/reports/ogasawara/csv-stats/bugs-with-patches/linux/ | Breakdown by status]]

=== Blueprints: Natty Bug Handling  ===
nothing to report this week

=== Blueprints: Kernel Configuration Review  ===
All configuration changes from the UDS review session are now applied and uploaded.  Also the AGP drivers of interest have been identified and moved built-in.  Only two items remain, neither critical for natty-alpha-1.  These items are still on track for
natty-alpha-1 completion.

=== Blueprints: Enhancements to the firmware test suite  ===
Changes to fwts (natty development branch):
  * Add in methods tests - 69 new tests to exercise AML Methods
  * Added error checking with CMOS reads
  * Improved FACS 32/64 pointer mismatch checks in FADT
  * Check for \_SB_._OSC buffer overflows

=== Blueprints: Handling of Deviations from Standard Kernels  ===
Just sent out some rfc for the in-tree documentation
Suggestion was for json format but making it simpler for a script seems not a good reason for changing the format for now
So I would still go with the maintainers format for now

===  Blueprints: Review of the Stable Maintenance Process (sconklin / bjf) ===
We've successfully wrapped up our first trial of the new stable kernel process. Lucid and Maverick
kernels currently in -proposed are being promoted to -updates today. Everyone involved in the new
process have identified areas they will be working to improve for the next cycle. Current thinking
is the next cycle will start with an upload on Dec. 9.

=== Blueprints: Ubuntu Kernel Delta Review  ===
aufs2 updated to official 2.6.37-rcN release from upstream. LIRC patches dropped to clean up the delta. 6 of the 21 personal patch reviews are now done. Some of these are likely to miss the natty-alpha-1 deadline, but none are release critical for the
milestone.

=== Blueprints: Kernel Version and Flavours  ===
Discussions are ongoing as to the kernels to use for omap3, this centres around whether the Linaro kernel is fully featured enough and what levels of support we are able to provide for it.  Discussions continue but we are currently waiting on testing of
the Linaro kernel against the current userspace.  This will not become critical until natty-alpha-2.

The distro kernels are now rebased onto v2.6.37-rc3 and uploaded.  This latest kernel includes a further update to aufs bringing it in line with upstream.  It also carries the bulk of the configuration changes identified at UDS, harmonising a number of
options; where those options are there to fix FTBS those are now documented.  It also carries a preview of the latest version of the "200 line" miracle automatic scheduler group patch, any feedback on this kernel appreciated.  Testing generally remains good.

===  Security & bugfix kernels - Maverick/Lucid/Karmic/Hardy/Dapper (sconklin / bjf) ===
||                         || Upd./Sec.     || Proposed      || TiP || Verified    ||
|| Dapper: Kernel          || 2.6.15-55.89  ||               ||     ||             ||
|| Hardy:  Kernel          || 2.6.24-28.80  ||               ||     ||             ||
|| =       LRM             || 2.6.24.18-28.7||               ||     ||             ||
|| Karmic: Kernel          || 2.6.31-22.68  ||               ||     ||             ||
|| =       mvl-dove        || 2.6.31-214.30 || 2.6.31-214.32 ||     ||             ||
|| =       ec2             || 2.6.31-307.21 ||               ||     ||             ||
|| Lucid:  Kernel          || 2.6.32-26.47  ||               ||     ||             ||
|| =       LBM             || 2.6.32-25.24  || 2.6.32-26.25  ||     ||             ||
|| =       mvl-dove        || 2.6.32-209.25 || 2.6.32-211.27 ||     ||             ||
|| =       fsl-imx51       || 2.6.31-608.19 || 2.6.31-608.20 ||     ||             ||
|| =       ec2             || 2.6.32-309.18 ||               ||     ||             ||
|| = lts-backport-maverick || 2.6.35.22.34  ||               ||     ||             ||
|| Maverick: Kernel        || 2.6.35-23.40  ||               ||     ||             ||
|| =       mvl-dove        || 2.6.32-410.27 ||               ||     ||             ||
|| =       ti-omap4        || 2.6.35-903.18 ||               ||     ||             ||
* Lucid and Maverick -proposed kernels promoted to -updates.
* Call for further testing of ec2 and ARM -proposed kernels for Lucid and Maverick.
   I've pinged Tobin Davis for ARM.

=== Incoming Bugs: Regressions  ===
Incoming Bugs
19 Natty Bugs (up 7)
1062 Maverick Bugs (up 37)
1088 Lucid Bugs (up 6)
Current regression stats (broken down by release):
==== regression-potential ====
As this tag is deprecated, this listing is only to ensure that I keep it on my radar until
changes to the apport hooks and my processing of the currently tagged bugs is completed.
   * 3 natty bugs
   * 396 maverick bugs (up 32 since the final maverick meeting)
   * 177 lucid bugs (up 14 since the final maverick meeting)
==== regression-update ====
   * 20 maverick bugs (no change)
   * 78 lucid bugs (up 1)
   * 6 karmic bugs (no change)
   * 0 hardy bugs (no change)
==== regression-release ====
   * 156 maverick bugs (up 9)
   * 192 lucid bugs (down 1)
   * 40 karmic bugs (no change)
   * 2 hardy bugs (no change)
==== regression-proposed ====
   * 13 maverick bugs (no change)
   * 6 lucid bugs (down 1)
   * 1 karmic bug (no change)

=== Incoming Bugs: Bug day report  ===
Today is the Bug Day. It is focusing on Bugs with patches so that I can focus
on getting the particular process I must use to address these bugs organized.
I will likely be pinging several of you with questions over the next week as
I work to finalize these steps and get them documented.
The next bug day will on December 7th. I will define the scope of that bug day in my e-mail
to the list so that I can take some time to determine what the best use of that
day will be.

=== Triage Status  ===
Spoke this week with Tapas Mishra who is interested in helping out. We had a great conversation on where to start. This conversation had been preceeded by someone providing several key links to wiki documentation that provided a first step toward Tapas'
desire to work on wireless issues. My recommendation was to look at current wireless bugs that have been filed and use those issues to gain an understanding of the type of issues we see with wireless drivers. Unforunately, due to the modular, and sometimes
closed corporate nature of wireless drivers, we don't have a way to help someone who is interested in beginning coding on wireless drivers, but I am hopeful that the information I was able to provide and the recommendations smb and I made will be helpful.

=== Open Discussion or Questions: Raise your hand to be recognized  ===
  * Just a question how comfortable those with upload rights are with the patch piloting and whether they would know what to do.  There are some links in the original email which are intended to help one http://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuDevelopment/CodeReviews
   * The concensus is we don't really know much about it.
<<BR>>
<<BR>>
  * Just a heads up that alpha1 is coming up. Get your changes in.
--
Brad Figg brad.figg at canonical.com http://www.canonical.com