Ubuntu Kernel Team Meeting Minutes - 06/29/2010

Brad Figg brad.figg at canonical.com
Tue Jun 29 20:16:15 BST 2010

= Meeting Minutes =
[[http://irclogs.ubuntu.com/2010/06/29/%23ubuntu-meeting.txt|IRC Log of the meeting.]]

[[http://voices.canonical.com/kernelteam|Meeting minutes.]]

== Agenda ==
[[https://wiki.ubuntu.com/KernelTeam/Meeting#Tues, 29 Jun, 2010|20100629 Meeting Agenda]]

=== Open action: manjo to send a firewire patch with test info ===
||manjo    ||I believe pgraner tested this with kino and dvgrab and reported it to work.||
||manjo    ||I had submitted a bzr patch making the switch to ubuntu kernel mailing list,||
||manjo    ||waiting for tgardner or Keybuk to pick this up.||
||tgardner ||hmm, I think we're still awaiting some test results||
||Keybuk   ||hmm?  I don't do kernel stuff||
||manjo    ||tgardner, test results from ?||
||tgardner ||Keybuk, its just a matter of swizzling some blacklists||
||tgardner ||manjo, results from pgraner et al||
||Keybuk   ||ah, the old kansas city shuffle||
||manjo    ||tgardner, ok||
||tgardner ||how about Luke's audio supprt changes?||
||tgardner ||wasn't there an app that needed updating?||
||manjo    ||he was going to upgrade some of the audio packages||
||manjo    ||and he volunteered to do it||
||tgardner ||manjo, has he done so?||
||manjo    ||tgardner, I will check with him again today||
||tgardner ||manjo, once we have a synopsis of resul;ts, then I'll make the blacklist changes||
||manjo    ||tgardner, ack||

=== Open action: JFo to put out a CFT on new firewire stack ===
No status, JFo on vacation

=== Release Metrics ===
No status, JFo on vacation

=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-apparmor  ===
Synced latest upstreaming version of AA into Maverick.  Marc Deslauriers already hit [[https://launchpad.net/bugs/599450|Bug #599450]] which testing missed.  I am looking at it and it should be a quick fix.

=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-firewire-stack  ===
Covered in the open action item.

=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-misc  ===
No status, apw on vacation

=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-new-kernel-on-lts  ===
The Lucid LTS backport kernel from Maverick continues to track the Maverick kernel.

=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-pv-ops-ec2-kernel  ===
No change.  I just started looking at this again and will have a new test kernel today

=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-tracing-support  ===
Nothing new, development work is done, should be removed from meeting schedule

=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-ubuntu-delta-review  ===
All Alpha2 work items are complete.  Nothing new to report.

=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-union-mounts  ===
No status, apw on vacation

=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-bug-handling  ===
No status, JFo on vacation

=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-upstart  ===
No status, apw on vacation

=== Blueprint: kernel-maverick-bios-test-automation  ===
Changes to Firmware Test Suite this week:
  * 7 Additional tests:
     * maxfreq: check CPU freq scaling max frequency against CPU max freq.
     * cstates: measure C states across CPUs and check activity when loaded
     * WMI: inspect DSDT for WMIs and dump out WMI methods and events (for hotkeys).
     * lid: interactive lid event detection test.
  * Other improvements + fixes:
     * klog scanning: use pcre rather than glibc regex.
     * Improved progress feedback (-p, --show-progress).
     * mtrr: check for MTRR config of VGA regions by BIOS.
     * mttr: fix prefetchable region detection bug
     * Add batch or interactive modes of testing.
     * Include 800+ example klog errors to test against.

=== Status: Maverick  ===
We uploaded a last minute linux-2.6.35-6.8 Alpha2 kernel on Sunday to resolve [[https://launchpad.net/bugs/597904|Bug 597904]] which was a blocker for building Alpha2 arm images.  We will essentially be uploading a 0-day Alpha2 kernel, linux-2.6.35-6.9, to 
resolve [[https://launchpad.net/bugs/588861|Bug 588861]].  I've been given the green light to upload it late Wed.  We currently have it uploaded to our kernel-ppa as an interim solution.

All of our team's Alpha2 work items are complete, so good job everyone.  Alpha 3 is Thurs Aug 5th which is a little over a month away.  Please review the list of work items for Alpha 3:

=== ARM Status  ===
  * Marvel (mvl-dove):
    * Nothing new this week.
  * Freescale (fsl-imx51):
    * Nothing new this week.
  * Texas Instruments (ti-omap):
    * In Maverick, cooloney prepared a branch which includes some ASoC audio and other fixes for git pull.
  * Bugs:
    * cooloney went through the omap bug list, located [[https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-ti-omap|here]]. Closed a bug to won't fix. Nothing new on other bugs.

=== Security & bugfix kernels - Karmic/Jaunty/Intrepid/Hardy/Others  ===
  * Dapper:      2.6.15-55.84  (security)
  * Hardy:       2.6.24-28.70  (security)
                 2.6.24-28.71  (proposed)[11]  0 / 1 verifications done
  * Jaunty:      2.6.28-19.61  (security)
  * Karmic:      2.6.31-22.60  (security)
                 2.6.31-22.61  (waiting for approval)
     - mvl-dove  2.6.31-214.28 (security)
                 2.6.31-214.29 (waiting for approval)
     - fsl-imx51 2.6.31-112.28 (security)
                 2.6.31-112.29 (waiting for approval)
     - ec2       2.6.31-307.15 (security)
                 2.6.31-307.16 (waiting for approval)
  * Lucid:       2.6.32-22.36  (security)
                 2.6.32-23.37  (proposed)[18] 14/39 verifications done
     - LBM       2.6.32-23.37  (proposed)[15]  3/ 3 verifications done
     - mvl-dove  2.6.32-205.18 (security)
                 2.6.32-206.19 (proposed)[11] 13/41 verifications done (+ 1)
     - fsl-imx51 2.6.31-608.14 (security)
                 2.6.31-608.15 (proposed)[11]  4/ 8 verifications done (+ 2)
     - ti-omap   2.6.33-501.7  (security)
                 2.6.33-502.8  (proposed)[11]  0/ 4 verifications done
     - qcm-msm   2.6.31-802.4  (security)
                 2.6.31-802.5  (proposed)[11]  1/ 5 verifications done
     - ec2       2.6.32-306.11 (security)
                 2.6.32-307.12 (proposed)[11] 12/38 verifications done

  * No feedback for ec2 boot tests (jjohanson?)
  * All requested fsl-imx51 tests done.
  * One requested mvl-dove verification done. Two to go (ericm?):
       * [[BugLink: http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/576257| Launchpad bug 576257 in linux-mvl-dove (Ubuntu Maverick) "[dove] BSP update for LSP 5.1.1" [Undecided,Triaged]]]
       * [[BugLink: http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/591249| Launchpad bug 591249 in linux-mvl-dove (Ubuntu Maverick) "[dove] BSP update for 5.2.1" [Undecided,Triaged]]]
  * No requested ti-omap verification done (mpoirier?). Still open:
       * [[BugLink: http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/584920| Launchpad bug 584920 in linux-ti-omap (Ubuntu Maverick) "netinstall fails, it has no network driver for moschip" [Medium,Fix committed]]]
       * [[BugLink: http://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/566238| Launchpad bug 566238 in linux-ti-omap (Ubuntu Lucid) "wlan0 "Interface doesn't support scanning." -- CONFIG_CFG80211_WEXT is not set" [Undecided,Fix committed]]]

It seems Martin was relatively happy with the current state so Lucid might move to updates at some point in the near future

=== Incoming Bugs and Regressions ===
No status, JFo on vacation

=== Incoming Bugs: Bug day report  ===
No status, JFo on vacation

=== Open Discussion or Questions ===
||abogani2 ||I would want only inform you that I placed -lowlatency and -realtime kernel on Zinc and in my PPA (https://launchpad.net/~abogani/+archive/ppa) for review. Ever if anyone have time and chance to do it. ;-)||

||kamal    ||regarding bug 594837 ...||
||ubottu   ||Launchpad bug 594837 in linux (Ubuntu) "Lucid SRU: Intel Core i3/i5/i7 hang on resume from suspend (SCI_EN)" [High,Confirmed] https://launchpad.net/bugs/594837||
||kamal    ||still no response to the patch I submitted to stable at kernel.org 14 days ago:||
||kamal    ||[PATCH] ACPI: Unconditionally set SCI_EN on resume||
||kamal    ||should we continue to wait, or move forward with a Lucid SRU, or something else?||
||smb      ||kamal, Greg seems to have re-surfaced recently||
||smb      ||kamal, But you might re-ask||
||maks_    ||stable was on vacation.||
||kamal    ||maybe I'll give it another week then, thanks.||

||lag      ||I'd like to request that the ARM Status item is brought forward i.e. placed nearer the top of the agenda. Otherwise; if the meeting goes on longer than 45-60mins I will be unable to present the item as I have to leave imminently for 'other 
things'. :)||
||bjf      ||lag, i have no problem with that||
||bjf      ||lag, i'll make it so||
||lag      ||I don't want to tread on anyone's toes||
||bjf      ||lag, it was an arbitrary decision on my part, i can change it||
||lag      ||Great, thanks||

Brad Figg brad.figg at canonical.com http://www.canonical.com

More information about the Ubuntu-news-team mailing list