About UWN and translation stats

Amber Graner akgraner at ubuntu.com
Wed Aug 11 22:36:20 BST 2010

I am also CC'ing David in this discussion as well since I have already
mentioned this too him earlier.

On Tue, Aug 10, 2010 at 3:18 PM, YoBoY <yoboy-leguesh at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Dear newsers,
>
> I begin this letter with a big thanks to all of you for the great work
> you are doing every weeks.

Thank you for your continued support.

> I'm taking the time today to talk to you to ask how are you doing the
> translation stats, and what this stat want to show to the community.
> Every weeks we can see the same languages, and every weeks we can see
> the English is the first translated language ... what ? are we not
> translating from English ?

Including the English in the stats shows how many items have been
added in English that will need to be translated.  It is the baseline
number to see how much more information is being added that will need
to be worked on.  Without showing this stat there is no baseline.

> Well this stat only show us I presume in which language Ubuntu is best
> localized, and this hall of fame never change. Not really a good stat in
> this way for me. I think we can provide better informations like which
> language had the most translated strings in one month or one week, and
> only put this best localized stat once a month.

I wish we could include them all but there is simple no way of doing
that so we choose the top 5 languages from the untranslated column
found at https://translations.launchpad.net/ubuntu/lucid (keep in mind
this will roll to /maverick on beta)

The stats are chosen and every so often they do change.  These stats
show which languages have have the highest number of translations each
week.

I am open to seeing what other information people want to see but
unless there is someone willing to put the time and effort into
ensuring that the information is consistent and can pull the stats on
Sundays reliably each week then changing the format would not be
accomplishing anything at this point in time.

I asked David Planella to see if he could check with the translations
teams to see what information would be useful and what ways we could
present the information better.

What I would like to do is schedule a meeting with as many of the
translation team leaders and non-english speaking LoCo leaders to
participate in a poll (I'll create it and get it sent over the next 10
days - I'll ask David Planella to help with this one) and see what
people are wanting to see and how they would like to use those stats.
The bring in back to the mailing list for further discussion.

Again, I think change is a good thing, and many people ask for us to
change things on a daily basis, but we really need more volunteers to
take ownership of some of these suggested changes and to work with the
news team to make this happen.

I appreciate you bringing this topic up and welcome the discussion to
see how we can improve on the information we bring to the community.

Cheers!
Amber

--
Amber Graner//akgraner//
http://akgraner.com/

Just me Amber.

Never interrupt someone doing what you said couldn't be done.
Amelia Earhart