[ubuntu-marketing] Reviving the Marketing Team (yet again!) with a focus on simple activism

Craig A. Eddy tyche at ubuntu.com
Wed Oct 21 17:17:41 BST 2009

I remember the last time that the resurrection of the Marketing Team was
attempted.  I remember the ongoing battle over who's direction would
flourish, and who would be on what committee.  I remember the
degeneration of those "committees" that did result into talking about
nit-picking details rather than focusing on the job at hand.

The problem isn't so much a lack of leadership as it is an overabundance
of "leadership" that has absolutely NO idea what marketing actually
means, and how it is accomplished.  Instead, the concerns were with who
would be in charge and what power structure that person could develop
(otherwise called "Empire Building"), including adding elements outside
the actual scope of the Marketing Team.

I see no reason to repeat that fiasco.  It is my opinion that, if the
Marketing Team is  to be resurrected, it will happen by one person with
a clear purpose simply going ahead and doing things, joined by others of
like mind who are willing to work.  The leadership would sort itself
out, shortly, without any campaigning necessary.  One alternative is to
have the leadership imposed from the top, as in a competent person hired
by Canonical to lead the effort.  I see neither of these possibilities
forthcoming at the present time.

That some sort of marketing needs to be done is obvious.  That such
marketing needs to be dictated by managers is not obvious:  in fact, it
is obvious that attempting to dictate marketing tactics is the wrong way
to go.  Even within one country, different tactics are needed due to the
makeup of the communities involved:  the amount and type of industry in
the area, and the amount and type of support such industry can supply to
an FLOSS (or even just an Ubuntu) effort.  Between countries as a whole
the dynamic is vastly different due, in part, to cultural differences.
The only thing that they all have in common is the need for marketing
supplies:  tools to use to get the word out, such as flier suggestions
and possible ways of approaching industry and media.  The rest can only
be achieved on a LoCo level.

Craig
Tyche