TurnKey Linux: new project builds Ubuntu based Live CD appliances

Liraz Siri liraz at turnkeylinux.org
Sat Sep 13 09:55:48 BST 2008

Hi guys,

I am one of the developers behind TurnKey Linux, a new opensource
project that builds installable, Ubuntu based Live CD appliances that
serve specific roles.

The project's motto is "everything that can be easy, should be easy" and
basically we're aiming to try and make Ubuntu easier to use for certain
types of (mostly server) tasks.

We've recently released public betas of our first three Live CD appliances:

* TurnKey LAMP stack
* TurnKey Drupal 5
* TurnKey Joomla

A few technical highlights, as described on our website:

* Based on Ubuntu 8.04.1 (hardy LTS).
* Minimal footprint (typically around 150MB) - each appliance is
   carefully built from the ground up with the minimum components needed
   to serve its role with maximum efficiency and security.
* Packaged as an installable Live CD (I.e., bootable ISO) that can run
   on real hardware in addition to most types of virtual machines.

Secretly we're hoping enough people will find this interesting so that
we can build out a specialized extension of the Ubuntu community
(focused on appliances), in much the same way the Ubuntu community has
become a specialized extension of Debian.

I am writing to you guys because I'm hoping the Ubuntu news team can
help us spread the word. For example, would the Ubuntu Weekly News be an
appropriate place to mention our Ubuntu sub-project?

Cheers,
Liraz