wiki.ubuntu.com license

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Fri Oct 24 08:20:29 BST 2008

Hi,

Copying in community-council, and ubuntu-news-team.

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 4:52 AM, Nick Ali <nali at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> I remember there was a discussion some time ago about the licensing
> issues related to the wiki. Was that specific to the doc team's work?

Yes, that discussion only related to the documentation wiki at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community, not the team wiki.

> I'm asking because the German team is doing sort of a derivitative of
> the UWN and they wanted to know what the license was. Have we
> discussed this already somewhere? Generally, what are the licenses on
> the wiki and Fridge?

If you can't see a license there, then that means there isn't one and
the material is subject to copyright. When we discussed the issue of
documentation licensing, we considered the question of whether the
team wiki could have a license too: it was decided that it was much
too complicated because of the broad range of different materials that
can be found on the team wiki. As for the Fridge, I think the issue
simply hasn't been discussed.

What I'd suggest is that the UWN (subject to the consent of its
authors) puts CC-BY-SA 3.0 license terms on it (but not the whole
wiki), and the same for the Fridge.

What do people think?

--
Matthew East