Minutes from the Technical Board, 2008-07-15

Bryce Harrington bryce at canonical.com
Mon Aug 11 22:09:19 BST 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 11:52:25AM +0100, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> == Filesystem checking / AutoFsck ==
>
> A suggestion was made to the technical board that Ubuntu could be smarter
> about how and when it performs filesystem integrity checks (fsck).
>
> Decision: This should be discussed more widely in the developer community
> Action: Scott to start a thread on ubuntu-devel/-discuss

I find the autofsck to be most notable on my laptop, perhaps because I
reboot it more frequently, and because it usually chooses to autofsck at
some inopportune time.  I don't know if laptop harddrives need fsck more
than desktop's, but I wouldn't mind seeing the frequency be reduced for
laptops.

Alternatively, maybe the autofsck could be made to take a few more
factors into account, such as total run time since last fsck, total
absolute time since last fsck, drive age, etc.

Bryce