[ubuntu-mythtv] Upgraded to 12.04 and now having DVB permission issues

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Mon May 14 04:55:05 UTC 2012

Actually the way things tend to work is by extended permissions attributes.
 They should be getting set to allow a particular user/group access I
believe.  Can you check "# getfacl /dev/dvb"?  For example when I look at
/dev/cdrom on my system, it's root:root, but I get permissions specifically
as my user:

$ getfacl /dev/cdrom
# file: dev/cdrom
# owner: root
# group: cdrom
user::rw-
user:supermario:rw-
group::rw-
mask::rw-
other::---

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 2:55 PM, RefuX Zanzeebarr <refux at hotmail.com> wrote:

>  I have been using 11.10 very happily, but decided to upgrade to 12.04
> (well Saturday was a quiet day!).
>
> Everything went smoothly except that my HD5500 cards were all apparently
> 'busy'. So I begrudgingly starting learning about permissions and things.
> Apparently the issue boils down to the /dev/dvb folding being part of the
> root group, which I assume wasn't the case in 11.10?
>
> As an experiment I tried a chmod -R 777 /dev/dvb
> Which worked!
>
> However whenever I reboot, the permissions get reset :(
>
> I started down the path of learning about a thing called 'udev'. However
> before I get too deep down the rabbit hole, I'm wondering if this is a bug
> or is there more simple fix? I'd rather not learn about udev if I can avoid
> it :)
>
> I've never ever had a problem with mythbuntu and dvb permissions until
> 12.04. Why now? What's the fix?
>
> Thanks for any help!

Mario Limonciello
superm1 at gmail.com