[ubuntu-mythtv] Upgrade to 0.25 / recorded program sync problem

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Sat Jun 9 03:07:45 UTC 2012

On 06/08/2012 05:19 PM, Eric Shubert wrote:
> I have a bit of a problem with 0.25.
>
> I have a BE and 2 FEs which were running 0.24. I upgraded the BE
> (mythbuntu) and one FE (Lucid w/ mythbuntu repos) to 0.25 and they're
> running fine.
>
> The other FE I (re)built from scratch on Precise. That FE works fine for
> live TV (using BE), but recorded programs have a problem. When playing
> recorded programs, the audio lags the video by a couple seconds. This
> happens on all recordings that were made with 0.24. Since upgrading
> everything to 0.25, I have 3 programs recorded so far. Two play ok on
> the problem host, but one plays out of sync like the 0.24 recordings.
> It's the 2nd of the 3 recordings that plays out of sync.
>
> All hosts are up to date with the latest packages from the mythbuntu repos.
>
> Anyone have any ideas where to look for a resolution? I'll be glad to
> post any information which may be helpful.
>
> TIA.

I've tried changing various settings, largely to no avail. Something has
changed since yesterday though (updated pulseaudio-client package
perhaps?) which has improve things slightly.

I notice now that all 1080i recordings are playing normally. I know for
certain that this was not the case yesterday. I also notice that all
recordings which play with the audio sync problem (audio lags 1-2
seconds, and the amount of lag appears to vary between recordings) are
show 720p for resolution. On recordings that show nothing for
resolution, some have the lag and some don't.

So the scenario now appears to be unlrelated to which version made the
recordings. The differentiating factor appears to go along with the
broadcast resolution. IOW, when a program is broadcast in 1080i, the
audio is X and it works, while with 720p broadcasts, the audio is Y
which has the problem playing back.

I'll try to get some more recordings to see if I can narrow things down
a bit more. I haven't see this with any live TV programs, but that's not
to say it can't happen.

Any ideas are appreciated.

--
-Eric 'shubes'