[ubuntu-mythtv] Mythbuntu theme Watch Recordings cursor change

John Veness John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk
Tue Aug 28 08:36:12 UTC 2012

On 27/08/2012 19:16, Yeechang Lee wrote:
> (I am speaking strictly for myself.)
>
> John Veness <John.Veness.mythtv at pelago.org.uk> says:
>> 1, At least on my TV with my brightness and contrast settings, when
>> the cursor is in the right column, it is very hard to see what the
>> selected item is in the left column. That is, the fact that one
>> entry is slightly whiter than another is not clear. Could instead a
>> more obvious marker stay in the left column when the cursor moves to
>> the right? E.g. an hollow outline around the entry, or an arrow?
>
> I considered doing so when modifying the theme, but Mythbuntu's look
> and feel is one that eschews lines in favor of subtle shapes and
> shades. That's why the fan art, for example, doesn't have borders.
>
> You may prefer to force the left pane to always center the
> selection. In Mythbuntu/recordings-ui.xml, uncomment line 62 by
> removing the <!-- and -->. The right pane can be similarly adjusted at
> line 105.

Thanks for the reply, Yeechang. If an outline doesn't suit the theme,
then maybe a more dim background shading of the selected left-hand item
would do?

>> 2, I don't like the way that the previously selected item in the
>> right column retains a partial highlight when the cursor moves
>> left.
>
> This is to indicate that when a recording-specific action is performed
> in the left pane (Pushing PLAY, for example, or pushing MENU twice for
> Recording Options) that the highlighted recording will be the target.

Hmm, personally I never press Play while the cursor is in the left
column, I would always move to the right to select a specific item
before pressing Play. Similarly, I never press Menu twice, I would
instead move into the desired column and then press Menu. I would go so
far as to be in favour of *removing* those "features", although that
would probably need MythTV code changes rather than just in the theme.

>> 3, (Less important). I don't particularly care for the overall
>> brightening of the left or right columns when the cursor is in the
>> column. It makes the lists too bright for my eyes. In my opinion,
>> the fact that the cursor moves should be sufficient for the user -
>> we don't need anything extra to tell the user where to look.
>
> This restores the behavior of an earlier version of the theme. The
> brightness is the default one (i.e., the grey text is set grey, as
> opposed to the white text being set white/bright) and is no greater
> than of the title, description, and other text below. The fan art is
> often bright enough that using non-dim text to indicate the current
> pane is desirable.

For the record, I don't use fanart, so that may effect my opinion.

> That said, I am testing a reversion of the above. Stand by.

Cheers,

John

--
John Veness, MythTV user, UK, DVB-T