[ubuntu-mythtv] 16:9 theme on 16:10 screen

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Sat Aug 25 17:21:11 UTC 2012

Marc Castles <marc at castlesblog.com> says:
> So, I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to force nvidia drivers
> to limit the resolution to 1920x1080 and add black bars or if its
> possible for mythtv to do if for me?

What you face is faced by every MacBook owner, as all Apple notebook
screens are 16:10.

One solution is to in Appearance set "GUI height (pixels)" to

   the width of the screen / 16 * 9

and "GUI Y offset" to

   the above number / 2

Turn "Window border" and "Use GUI size for TV playback" off.

This results in a decoration-less, vertically centered, 16:9 GUI. (If
you dislike seeing the desktop background above and below it, choose a
background that matches that of the mythfrontend theme.) Turning "Use
GUI size for TV playback" off tells mythfrontend to automatically use
all available space during playback; fortunately, it is smart enough
to (unlike with the GUI) always maintain the correct aspect ratio.