[ubuntu-mythtv] Upgrade problem going to 10.10 with X

Jason jason at wkrp.com
Thu Oct 14 12:24:16 BST 2010

OK but a twist of fate I had some time this morning and I had success!

Here is what I did

sudo apt-get remove xserver-xorg
sudo apt-get install xorg
sudo apt-get install mythbuntu-desktop
sudo apt-get install nvidia-glx-173            # if there is a better
one to use please let me know, I found a page that said to do this version.
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg
sudo update-alternatives --config gl_conf    # may not be needed
sudo ldconfig                                                  # may not
be needed
sudo update-initramfs -u                                # may not be needed
sudo nvidia-xconfig

rebooted and no luck. However it got me closer.

dmesg started reporting errors like:

vmap allocation for size 16781312 failed: use vmalloc=<size> to increase
size.

I had to add to my grub file:  vmalloc=192M

For me I have the older grub so I had to edit the menu.list (it worked
but I probably could have done it in /etc/default/grub):

kernel          /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.35-22-generic
root=UUID=acc81edd-f305-425c-a551-26448846d223 ro quiet splash
*vmalloc=192M*

Just add that part to the end.  I could increase the memory.  Honestly I
just was caring about getting it to work and don't remember how much is
on that card.

These two posts talked about it:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1125400&page=32

Thank you all for you help.