[ubuntu-mythtv] Upgrade problem going to 10.10 with X

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Tue Oct 12 05:05:41 BST 2010

  Hi Jason:

On 10/11/2010 11:01 PM, Jason wrote:
> On 10/11/2010 8:36 PM, Mario Limonciello wrote:
> I found this on it:
>
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/x11-xkb-utils/+bug/639933

OK well it's got all the right tasks on it.  Hopefully it gets an SRU
soon to stop anyone else from hitting it.

> I believe it sadly took out a lot more than I wanted.  X was there but
> when I started it up the window manager did start up too.  It's been
> years since I've had to set up X windows from scratch like this.

That's really a shame.  I've heard lots of success thus far with people
upgrading 10.04->10.10, so it's surprising you ran into troubles.

> I get this:
>
> sudo apt-get install mythbuntu-desktop
> [sudo] password for jason:
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
>   dvb-apps mythbuntu-lirc-generator
>   dvb-apps mythbuntu-desktop mythbuntu-lirc-generator
> 0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 13.4kB/731kB of archives.
> After this operation, 6,709kB of additional disk space will be used.
> Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
> Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ maverick/universe
> mythbuntu-lirc-generator all 0.25-0ubuntu1 [13.4kB]
> Fetched 13.4kB in 0s (23.5kB/s)
> Selecting previously deselected package mythbuntu-desktop.
> (Reading database ... 158796 files and directories currently installed.)
> Unpacking mythbuntu-desktop (from .../mythbuntu-desktop_0.62_i386.deb) ...
> Selecting previously deselected package mythbuntu-lirc-generator.
> Unpacking mythbuntu-lirc-generator (from
> .../mythbuntu-lirc-generator_0.25-0ubuntu1_all.deb) ...
> Selecting previously deselected package dvb-apps.
> Unpacking dvb-apps (from .../dvb-apps_1.1.1+rev1355-1ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
> Processing triggers for man-db ...
> Setting up mythbuntu-desktop (0.62) ...
> Setting up mythbuntu-lirc-generator (0.25-0ubuntu1) ...
> Setting up dvb-apps (1.1.1+rev1355-1ubuntu1) ...
> Processing triggers for python-support ...
>
> Then I rebooted but that didn't bring back the xwindows.  I must have
> really messed something up.
>
> Any thoughts?

Do you have a box you can X forward to?  If so, ssh into the box with X
forwarding on and run synaptic.  It has a filter for "Show missing
Recommends".  I think that should list any of your missing X packages.
There's probably a way to do that with apt-get or aptitude too, but i'm
not aware of it off the top of my head.

--
Mario Limonciello
superm1 at ubuntu.com