[ubuntu-mythtv] linux-firmware-nonfree fixes

Chase Douglas chase.douglas at ubuntu.com
Mon Mar 8 21:30:27 GMT 2010

Hello all,

I've been using MythTV on Ubuntu for a while now, and it's been great.
I'm now a member of the Canonical kernel team as well. I noticed that
the linux-firmware-nonfree bugs [1] aren't subscribed by anyone. Because
it is not supported by Canonical as part of Ubuntu (it's in multiverse),
we on the kernel team aren't subscribed to the bugs and don't have the
resources free to work on them. The majority of firmware in this package
is dvb related, so I think it would be good if the mythbuntu team, or
individual mythbuntu developers, were subscribed to
linux-firmware-nonfree bugs so they are monitored by someone.

I encourage anyone who is interested to try to fix firmware packaging
issues. The process is fairly simple:

1. Use apt-get source to get the latest firmware source package
2. Update the source package
3. Upload the package somewhere that others can download from
4. Send a note to the kernel-team at lists.ubuntu.com to have the package
uploaded to the Ubuntu package archives.

If you have any questions at all through this process, feel free to send
a note to kernel-team at lists.ubuntu.com. We're happy to answer them :).

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-firmware-nonfree