[ubuntu-mythtv] Hauppauge HVR-1600 Analog Tuner Issues

Nick Fox nickj.fox at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 12:07:45 BST 2010

Alright, lets try to get the ball rolling by breaking things down into
simple components/sections:

1) Use Mythbuntu --

Rather than get into a debate or explain all the reasons to use Mythbutu, I
am just going to say use it, and provide advice based on you rebuilding with
the current Mythbuntu release and all updates installed. If you need help
with updates/installation I highly suggest the forums, our website, or IRC
for assistance with those topics.

   -    Your mention of missing HDMI audio settings is
   mis-informed/incorrect. The Ubuntu desktop is *not* required to make HDMI
   work. I do realize with limited experience this part can be a bit tricky to
   complete, but let me give you exact directions to make it easier
      - From a terminal: aplay -l
      - This will provide several audio playback devices, one will be easily
      be the HDMI port, similar to this:
         -
         - *card 0: Intel [HDA Intel], device 3: INTEL HDMI [INTEL HDMI]*
         - The important parts are the card and device numbers, keep track
         of these
      - Test audio out on the device like this: speaker-test -Dplughw:0,3
      (notice the format <card number>,<device number>)
      - If the HDMI port is plugged in and working, you should get a static
      noise, you can press CTRL+C to stop it
         - In the event this does not work, you need to make sure the HDMI
         port is not muted
            - At a terminal: alsamixer
            - Use the Left/Right arrows to navigate across the bottom of the
            screen, ensure any devices label S/PDIF or IEE* show a "00"  and
            not "MM", if they show "MM" you can type M to unmute them. To
            save and exit, use the ESC key. At this point retry your
testing above.
         - In the MythTV Frontend, navigate the menus below:
         - Utilities / Setup > Setup > General > Page 4 (Audio System)
            - Audio output device: ALSA:plughw:0,3 (in the case of my
            system, the device and/or card numbers could be different
in your case)
            - Click Next/Finish until you exit the menu. This will allow
            HDMI audio to work on your MythTV system
         - HVR-1600 Tuner
      - I personally have three (3) of these tuners and they are all
      plug-n-play to the extent of the drivers.
      - No driver/firmware installation required if using Mythbuntu/Ubuntu
      9.10 and later.
      - You will need to configure two (2) tuners for each side
      (Digital/Analog) of the HVR-1600 in the MythTV Backend Setup
(mythtv-setup)
      - Channel Scanning was removed from use/support in MythTV .22 and
      later, you will need to provide it the proper data and channel
      changing mechanism if using a Set-top Box (Cable/Sat. Receiver)
      - Card One Setup - Digital - (Capture Cards in MythTV Backend Setup):
         - You should select DVB 'DVB DTV capture card (v3.x)' and usually
         MythTV will discover and provide the device information once
this selected
      - Card Two Setup - Analog:
         - You should select 'IVTV MPEG-2 encoder', and again MythTV should
         populate the fields below for you, with a device of
/dev/video0 for the
         card.
      - Next you will need to go to the Input Section and add the
      Configurations to the inputs available on the Capture devices you just
      created.
         - If you are using the non-coax (RGB/S-Video) inputs select them
         for the analog side here, also be aware these inputs will
require a channel
         changer script, you will need to provide further details f
you need help
         with this portion
         - You also need to provide the Data Source you created previously,
         usually Schedules Direct in North America
         - If you are using the Coax (RG6) connection, leave the channel
         changer portion of the configuration empty
         - Repeat these steps for both sides of the card (Digital/Analog)
      - Once you have completed all other configuration to your needs/liking
      exit and allow 'mythfilldatabase' to execute, this can take a few minutes
      the first time.

At this point if everything is configured as mentioned above you should have
working live TV on both the analog and Digital sides of the tuner. If you do
not a few simple tests (you can run these before testing inside of MythTV as
well):

   - In a terminal: cat /dev/video0 > test.mpg
   - CTRL+C to stop the recording
   - mplayer test.mpg (you may have to install mplayer, simply in the
   terminal: sudo apt-get install mplayer)
   - If the video is black/static at this point, it is the connection/cable
   as this a basic capture on the card with no tuning, if however you have
   video here and not in myth, you will want to provide your logs for further
   inspection.
      - To gather logs, in a terminal: sudo apt-get install
      mythbuntu-log-grabber
      - Then in the terminal type: mythbuntu-control-centre
      - Use the on-screen menus to gather and post the logs, then provide th
      output URL back either via email or IRC

Finally, the IR blaster support on the device I am unfamiliar with and
cannot not speak to, but I am sure someone on the list can. In the mean
time, good luck on all of this.

-Nick
(foxbuntu)