[ubuntu-mythtv] IEEE1394/firewire problems after update

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Wed Dec 8 20:06:58 GMT 2010

On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 8:47 AM, David Lambert <dave at lambsys.com> wrote:
> I just updated Mythbuntu 10.10 to Linux mythbuntu2 2.6.35-23-generic
> #41-Ubuntu SMP and my IEEE1394 interface stopped working. I notice that
> not even the raw driver module (raw1394) is loaded, and dmesg says:

Howdy David,

This would not be something that changed in Mythbuntu specifically, so
any change(s) you see would be the same as base Ubuntu.  You might
search the forums and see if anyone has encountered the same issue.

BTW, are you saying you simply upgraded kernel revs?  If you drop back
to a previous rev and it works fine, then I would encourage you to
open a kernel bug report on launchpad by issuing the command
"ubuntu-bug linux"

Things to investigate before doing that:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Firewire points out that you may
need to do the following:

echo 'KERNEL=="raw1394", GROUP="video", MODE="0664"' |
sudo tee /etc/udev/rules.d/50-raw1394.rules
&& sudo restart udev

Of course, I think that may have applied for several versions now, so
if it was working for you recently and the permissions are still
correct after the upgrade, that may not be it.

It doesn't apply to your version, but there are previous reports of
similar problems related to /dev/raw1394
https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=87846, which also points to
a blacklisting problem
http://newyork.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=8542962

It seems pretty unlikely that you'd be the first person to run into
this, so I really would search the forums.

Good luck,

   Marc