[ubuntu-mythtv] Call for testing on NVIDIA hardware on Karmic

Mario Limonciello superm1 at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 15 21:35:15 BST 2009

Hi Guys:

As some people might be aware, very recent NVIDIA hardware has been unable
to boot Karmic live disks.  I've discovered the root cause of this problem
and written a patch as a band-aid.  Upstream isn't keen upon fixing it with
the band-aid, but wants to make architectural changes to the X server
instead.  We will intend on carrying the band-aid patch until those
architectural changes are fleshed out and arrive in a newer X release (LL or
MM likely).

I'd like if I can get some feedback on the patch though from people with
NVIDIA hardware before uploading it to the archive as a preventative measure
not to make things worse.

So if you've got NVIDIA hardware (either that did or didn't work with
karmic), please follow these steps:

   1. Download a recent i386 live CD, ubuntu, kubuntu, xubuntu, mythbuntu,
   whatever you want.
   2. Boot said live cd
   3. Switch to VT1
   4. If gdm/kdm started successfully, stop them.
   5. Install this deb:
   http://launchpadlibrarian.net/31853079/xserver-xorg-video-nv_2.1.14-2ubuntu3_i386.deb
   6. Either startx/restart gdm/restart kdm
   7. Take note whether X started and report back to
   https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-nv/+bug/385658or
to this ML post

Hopefully this should get more people with NVIDIA hardware to boot up to X,
without causing anyone to* lose* the ability to boot X.

Thanks,
--
Mario Limonciello
superm1 at gmail.com